Australia ABD fast approaching, need help planning

I like Italian, Mexican, Chinese. And chocolate. Is that a cuisine? I stay away from seafood due to allergies. I'd like to try more authentic Australia cuisine. Any suggestions? Does anyone have recommendations for a moderately priced breakfast other than the hotel?

There are any number of breakfast places in Melbourne. When you work out where you're staying, let us know. We can recommend something closer to where you are. But food in Australia is pricey compared to the US. Think Disney sticker shock pricing and then some.

A few of the restaurants do incorporate Native/Bush Foods in their cooking style.

Cutler and Co. comes to mind but I haven't been there in a couple of years.
Otherwise, the other restaurants that might be worth checking the menu out include Charcoal Lane, Pei Modern, Attica, Vue de Monde. Be aware that none of these are cheap.

Definitely interested in museums. History, science, fashion, art, though I'm not a huge fan of contemporary. The Australia Museum of Film and the Moving Image sounded intriguing.

ACMI can be interesting. It is free entry for the general display.

The Melbourne Museum might be worth a visit, if you have time.

We have decided to book Hotel Windsor for our stay. I believe tripadvisor mentioned a place called Coffee Exchange as being close by for breakfast. Thanks for the input on the restaurant prices. I will take another look at my meal budget. Luckily the airfare is coming in much lower than I was expecting so my budget for that will not cover the hotel as well. That will help.

There is a story The Age (I don't know why this forum won't register the .com.au when I try to put the website up!)today about cheap eats in Melbourne, haven't had a chance to read it yet myself but it might be helpful.

I like Italian, Mexican, Chinese. And chocolate. Is that a cuisine? I stay away from seafood due to allergies. I'd like to try more authentic Australia cuisine. Any suggestions? Does anyone have recommendations for a moderately priced breakfast other than the hotel?

Try looking on Broadsheet. They have categories for best Mexican, pasta etc. For breakfast (or any time of day really) I would check out Lord of the Fries. It's a Melbourne chain that serves vegetarian food. They do amazing fries, as the name suggests, with a whole bunch of different sauces. They also do burgers and hot dogs. I can't find the breakfast menu online but the Flinders St store opens at 7:30 so they're definitely still serving it.

We have decided to book Hotel Windsor for our stay. I believe tripadvisor mentioned a place called Coffee Exchange as being close by for breakfast. Thanks for the input on the restaurant prices. I will take another look at my meal budget. Luckily the airfare is coming in much lower than I was expecting so my budget for that will not cover the hotel as well. That will help.

At that end of town, there is Cumulus Inc., 45 Flinders Lane, Melbourne and the European, 161 Spring Street. Both are well respected breakfast places. I find them a little pricey.

However, I like Trunk Diner, 275 Exhibition Street. Their prices are more reasonable than Cumulus Inc. and The European.
There is also a small'ish Italian place called Babbo in Madame Brussels Lane. In fact, I think there are a couple of places down Madame Brussels Lane that serve breakfast in the morning. Madame Brussels Lane is one of those Melbourne alleys off Lonsdale Street.

Between Trunk and the eateries down MBL, I think you might find there is enough there to cover the 2 - 3 days breakfasts.

And I forgot to mention that there is a small food court at the bottom of 35 Collins Street, near your hotel. There should be stuff there as well for breakfast.

Thanks to all for the restaurant suggestions. The links worked and I now have plenty to research. Just got back from my first Disney cruise so I have been a little lax on my other travel plans. but hotel and airfare are now booked, except for the flight from Hobart to Melbourne, time to get down to planning what we are going to do and when we are going to do it.

You will come out in front with your spending money, the Aussie is low, so you will make money when you exchange from US

Over the weekend I started a list of the items I need to buy for this trip. The list is pretty long and time is getting short. :) We will be in country from Oct 20th to Nov 5th, visiting Cairns, Uluru, Sydney, Melbourne, Freycinet National Park and Hobart. I'm sure that covers a range of climates. I could use some wardrobe tips, especially the "don't leave home without it" variety.

Do you celebrate Halloween in Australia?

Over the weekend I started a list of the items I need to buy for this trip. The list is pretty long and time is getting short. :) We will be in country from Oct 20th to Nov 5th, visiting Cairns, Uluru, Sydney, Melbourne, Freycinet National Park and Hobart. I'm sure that covers a range of climates. I could use some wardrobe tips, especially the "don't leave home without it" variety.

Do you celebrate Halloween in Australia?

Halloween is getting bigger but nowhere near the scale of the US. there is Halloween crap everywhere but personally, out in the burbs, I don't notice it, and never noticed it when I was working closer to the CBD

now, climates:

Cairns... think WDW. Hot, Humid, tropical. the best! ;-)

I’ve not been to Uluru, but suffice to say, it’s in the middle of the desert... stinking hot during the day (dry heat) and freezing at night I believe. someone who has been may be able to clarify

Sydney, mild in Oct/Nov. I’d say low to mid 20's (Celsius) can be sunny but can also rain/be windy. Maybe jeans and a t-shirt with a pullover or thicker jacket/cardigan?

Melbourne, the same as Sydney but probably a bit colder at that time of year (in dead of summer, Melbourne is hotter. Sydney is more temperate) Melbourne has a saying: 4 seasons in a day, and its dead on. it could be hot and sunny one minute, and cold and rainy the next. be prepared for moderately warm, to very chilly.

Hobart, again, I’ve never been, but it’s cold down there. gorgeous so I hear, but chilly. think, high teens. wear a jacket/coat with jeans.

I’m a cold body, so I tend to rug up. it’s the beginning of winter here and I’m in an office. I just went up the street for lunch and I’m wearing closed in flat shoes, jeans, a singlet under a 3/4 sleeved top and I threw on a thick woollen cardigan. its unseasonably warm today, about 13 degrees Celsius right now. the last few mornings have been about 3-6 degrees at 7:30am, and it isn't even winter yet :( take me to floridaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, I hope that mess helps? I’ve not travelled much in the USA so I’m not sure what to compare it to.

oh!! maybe, it might be similar to NYC in April in Melbourne/Hobart in Oct/Nov?

Halloween really isn't a 'thing' in Australia. You get the occasional street where some kids do trick or treat (I believe the done thing is to put out balloons if you want to be involved), and you'd probably find a few Halloween parties at night clubs etc. In the big cities, there are sometimes some low key Halloween activities around if you look hard enough. But I wouldn't bother to bring costumes or anything unless you find something specific you'd be interested in.

The weather...

The top end of Australia (including Uluru) will be just about to get into the wet season. I would be expecting hot, humid (in Cairns, not so much Uluru), and maybe wet. Take a raincoat.

The down under part of down under will be about to get into summer. This means you can probably expect Sydney to be warm and sunny. I would generally say Melbourne will be a few degrees cooler than Sydney and should be sunny as well, but we can definitely get anything here. It's been known to be freezing cold and hailing, and it's also been known to be hot, hot, hot and sunny. And sometimes, yes, we do get a little of everything. Layers are key to surviving Melbourne weather, and it's always worth carrying an umbrella, even if it looks beautiful and sunny when you leave your hotel. The weather can change dramatically in a matter of minutes. Hobart, although the furthest south, is actually fairly temperate and not much colder than Melbourne. Plus, the weather is a lot more stable. I imagine it would be jeans, t-shirt and light sweater kind of weather mainly. If the wind picks up though, it can get very cold, so it's worth taking a few warmer items in case you do need to rug up.

I would probably pack:
* Shorts or lightweight cargo pants
* Jeans
* T-shirts (or lightweight tops)
* Long sleeve skivvy
* Lightweight sweater
* Heavier sweater/lightweight coat
* Beanie (doesn't take up much room, yet helps so much when the weather turns!)
* Raincoat
* Sun hat
* And bathers of course! (I assume you will be snorkelling or something at the reef)

Oh, plenty of sunscreen too. Remember, there's a hole in the ozone layer down here, and the sun is fierce, even when it's not that hot. Keep re-applying throughout the day to avoid looking lobster-ish. It seems counter-intuitive, but you will need to be the most careful in Tasmania, as that's closest to the hole. Seriously, I barely put sunscreen on for the whole 3 weeks I was in the US last August/September, spent most of my days outside, and the worst I got was a hint of pink at Disneyland, which turned into a nice tan. In Australia, I'll be bright red and sore after an hour in the sun, which is always followed by peeling and turning white again lol!

I second Zanzibar in the outfits though I'd be inclined to swop the lightweight sweater for just a cardigan but depends what you wear at home. Hobart may be cool or maybe warm, a few degrees cooler than Melbourne usually but also can be changeable. Top of Mt Wellington is always freezing even if warm in city below. Cairns think Florida. Uluru only been in winter but near summer will be very very hot and dry by day - getting up to 40's and not sure how cold at night but in contrast will feel cold. Think Monument Valley in US. sunscreen essential. You can buy v good 30 or 50 spf here if not in your shops but Aus is probably dearer.

Halloween really just a local st might celebrate, not a thing. Staying in hotels won't notice it but if still on ABD I guess they might organise something as mostly US tourists. Other than hat, sunscreen and small fold-up brolly can't think of anything else-oh if doing reef trip lightweight eg cotton long sleeve coverall/shirt to help prevent sunburn; also useful when out sightseeing in Uluru/cairns. Wear comfortable walking shoes/trainers for walk in sand around Uluru/Kata Juta, any national parks you might visit. You will be walking in very hot areas like Cairns (comfy sandels) and poss cooler days where might want closed in (Melb., Hobart) but remember sandals in very hot area for very long = sunburn feet so be aware.

Happy travels.

Thank you Princess Jes, Zanzibar and Aussie Wendy!! All this information is a huge help. I never would have realized that the sun would be more dangerous in Tasmania. I will be sure to slather on the sunscreen as I am a burn and peel kinda gal. I've already bought my 50 spf. I will pass on the sunburn feet warning to my girlfriend as she likes to wear sandals. As my feet are always cold I tend to favor closed in shoes. I am debating the feasibility of mesh water shoes or just another pair of good walking shoes.

Zanzibar, your list is very close to what I have been thinking I would need. I am a thin blooded type so I will be going for the layer look. I am currently looking for a decent water repellant jacket. I will be taking a thinner fleece jacket that I can layer under that if it is colder. I will probably throw in a couple of pairs of cheap gloves from the Dollar Store. They came in handy when I was in Ireland and are no big loss if they get misplaced.

I'm sure I can always find some place to pick up additional items I might need. Are there any Disney Stores down under?

Glad we could be of help :goodvibes

You won't find much of anything Disney down here I'm afraid. We haven't had Disney stores for many years (not since I was a kid and my parents wouldn't take me there because it was too expensive :rotfl:). That and the crazy prices down here are why us Aussies tend to stock up when we head Stateside!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter