• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Auto Train to College Program w/24hr at MK & SWW(new!SWW '14 rope drop/sci fi brkfst)

I'm really enjoying your trip report. I also live in NJ and am considering the auto train for our trip in December. All the details you've provided are very helpful, thanks!

Hi Christine
I'd love to read a trip report about your big group trip. I know that I'd learn a lot with the detail and pictures you provide.

I keep flip flopping on what we should do. Should I rent a scooter, or will I feel too guilty about it? I know that last time my feet and back were so sore and it took a while to recover. We actually went to Forida last year (Gulf Coast) for three weeks and didn't go to WDW at all. But I miss it and DH loves it too.

Looking forward to reading more about this trip and hopefully your group trip too. Thanks for writing these. So much fun to read.

Nora

Hi Nora: I will seriously consider a report.

It was amazing how well we all did. Especially my father who is 76 and too proud to rent a scooter yet. Our friend Cass brought hers which was easy to travel with and convenient to have on hand. But my father never used it. (part of me thinks he's afraid to drive one!)

My dad struggles with walking - has a bum leg and foot following a mild stroke years ago, which makes him a little unsteady, very cautious and very slow to walk. We always plan with this in mind but never emphasize it, because I would hate for it to overshadow his enjoyment tagging along.

We slowly managed to build up everyone's endurance with a carefully planned itinerary, and a few simple measures. As a result, the group did fantastic!

Hopefully this will help encourage you to plan another trip.

I'm really enjoying your trip report. I also live in NJ and am considering the auto train for our trip in December. All the details you've provided are very helpful, thanks!

Hi neighbor! Love to have another NJ fan here on the Dis!!
First, let me extend a warm: :welcome: and thank you for taking the time to post.
Great to have you along.

Also, I'm so glad the Auto Train information is helping your plans. We really did love it and will not hesitate to book again. Good luck with your Dec. trip.
One of our favorite times of year to visit.

Memorial Day
Monday May 27, 2013

Disney College Program Check In Day

Continued…………………

Iron Man was moved in and off to Walmart with his roommates.
So we borrowed the truck in search of takeout to drop off at the apartment.

Dinner tonight was at Monsieur Paul’s 8pm - Party of 2.

Time For Lunch!!

With 6 Counter Service and 4 Table Service Credits expiring today
we had a ton of food to purchase!

Welcome to the Port Orleans French Quarter!

"Port Orleans" combines two moderate “sister” resorts into 1 sprawling complex.

The French Quarter
and Riverside

Each stands alone and must be booked separately.

And each has something unique to offer, depending on your vacation style.

We’ve had the benefit of staying on this property 3x now within the past 12 months, just for a quick night or two.

It’s a favorite among the Moderates for us

We love the lobby and grounds at Riverside but prefer the food court at French Quarter.
Our favorite Rooms are the “Royal Guest Rooms” at Riverside, and you’ll see why in the next post.
So if you can manage to stretch your budget, Book one of these!!!

Back to the French Quarter.

From Disney’s website:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/port-orleans-resort-french-quarter/

Revel in the romance and pageantry of New Orleans’s historic French Quarter at this Resort hotel, where cobblestone streets, gas lamps, wrought-iron balconies and fragrant magnolia blossoms evoke the Antebellum era and colorful Mardi Gras characters and jazz keep things lively. Then stroll along the Sassagoula River to Disney's Port Orleans Resort – Riverside,.

They have a beautifully remodeled guest registration area now.

We are en route to their counter service restaurant:

Sassagoula Float Works & Food Factory

An exceptional quick service establishment!

Here’s a fantastic overview of the place.
http://www.portorleans.org/floatworks.php

Take another look at the posted meal times.

Well, it was only 4:00 pm. - too early to purchase dinner.
We’d have to wait for the menus to switch over at 5.

So JQ and I decide to indulge in a late lunch.

For those unfamiliar, let me start by saying "don't be fooled when you first walk in."
This food court is deceiving and offers a few hidden gems you can’t find anywhere else on property!
So take some time to look around.

Here's one of the first things you may see:

Bakery and Dessert Station

Complete with Hand Dipped ice cream, which can only mean one thing:
Fresh Cones! Shakes! And Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches – made to order!

A great compliment to any meal.

I know, I know, you can get this other places, too.

But we’re just getting started!

Here’s the best thing you will see:

Fresh Beignets!! A French Quarter Specialty!!

They’re cooked to order, so you’ll have to patiently wait your turn.

1. Six Beignets $4.29

2. Three Beignets $2.99
(one DDP snack credit)

Enjoy!

Note: If you contact the WDW Special Diets Dept, they should be able to confirm that you can special order gluten, dairy, egg and soy free beignets here, with advance notice. They use a dedicated fryer. So they’re even vegetarian and vegan friendly.

And Last but certainly not Least:

Make sure you drop by:

Station 2 – Specialties

Home to the #1 reason we found to visit for Lunch!

“The Po’ Boy”

a traditional New Orleans sandwich, served “dressed” or plain on a fresh baked baguette.

We quickly learned these are served at Lunch only!
So keep that in mind if you'd like to try one.

There were 4 on the menu today:
(Apparently a little Voodoo hit my camera right at the point of shoot)

Screen 1:

It should read:

1. Buffalo Chicken Po’ Boy $8.99
with Pasta Salad or House-made Chips

2. Beef Po’ Boy $8.99

3. Shrimp Po’ Boy $9.99

Remaining Lunch Specialties on Screen 2:

We ordered:

Shrimp Po’ Boy (w/ house made chips.) $ 9.99

What a sandwich! Large, full of shrimp and delicious. I can’t wait to go back and order another one.

Here are the other menu items served at lunch:

Station 1 – Sandwiches and Salads

Screen 1:

Screen 2:

Station 3 – Burgers

First screen offered but not shown:

1. Angus Creole Burger
with Pasta Salad or French Fries
$10.99
2. Angus Mushroom Swiss Burger
$9.99
3. Bayou Chicken Sandwich
$9.19

Screen 2

Screen 3

Station 4 – Pizza & Pasta

That's it for lunch!

next: Sassaguola dinner to go and a peek at the rooms

Memorial Day
Monday May 27, 2013

Port Orleans - Part II

First, let me REPEAT - Check-In Day is very looooong.

It usually starts around 8am and goes non-stop well into the late afternoon if your housing meeting is scheduled on the same day.

There are no free meals provided by Disney to the CP participants.

So the majority of these kids go without food for hours!!

I've posted this before, but here's what Iron Man was assigned on Day 1:

Their housing meeting was tomorrow am, so everyone hopped the bus to Walmart to buy food, bedding and supplies.

I can't speak for the girls but I can tell you after experiencing 2 programs with Mark, that a lot of the guys show up with very little money.

And because they are hungry, they tend to make rookie mistakes - like overspending on takeout and entertainment at Disney during their first few days.

Our plan was to drop off enough decent food to kick off their arrival and get them going without depleting too much of their own cash.

Note: JQ and I happened to be the ONLY PARENTS there out of all 4 roommates, and Mark was the only one with a vehicle.

They were lucky he drove and brought a TV from home.
Everyone else had arrived by air with a few bags of clothing and not much else.

This was the same situation the last program he did and seems to be more common than you think!

Ok Back to Port Orleans!

As we were enjoying lunch, the 5 o'clock dinner hour commenced and the menus automatically changed over.

Time to Move!!!

We had 6 Counter Service Credits to package up to go
a truck to drop off
and an 8pm Signature Dinner in Epcot to get to from Saratoga Springs by bus.

We quickly revisit Stations 2 & 4:

Station #2 - completely replaced the Po' Boy Lunch Menu with Dinner items

Screen 1

Screen 2

We ordered:

(2) servings of the Pot roast with Cornbread and 2 sides

and (1) Fried Chicken & Rib Combo with cornbread and 2 sides

Station #4 - Pizza and Pasta

Screen 2 was now added for dinner only

We ordered:

(1) Baked Chicken Parmesan platter
and (2) servings of the Baked Chicken Alfredo w/ side salads

No photos sorry! Just this one of them all packaged up to go

And since all 6 Quick Service Meals included a Drink and Dessert, we added the following TO GO!

(2) Beignets (3 ea.)
(2) Chocolate Cake
(1) Crumb Cake
(1) Cinnabon
(2) 20 oz bottles Fanta Orange
(2) Fuze Peach Mango
(1) Powerade
(1) Nesquick

These were a BIG HIT to feed 4 guys who had been going all day with very little food.

next up: Port Orleans: Various rooms on tour!!

Last edited:

I'll have one of each...and 2 cinnamon rolls please!

This is the best trip report ever. I need a meal plan and I need to be in WDW now!

This is the best trip report ever. I need a meal plan and I need to be in WDW now!

I AGREE!! PI is doing a great job with this report, even is she is finishing a bit late ;) - but hey, she's a busy lady.

Loving all of the pictures as well as the commentary. This report is going to be a great help to a co-worker whose DD is heading to the CP in mid May.

I need to be at WDW right now too. Tired of all this windy, cold weather.

A great excuse for another trip. You don't have to twist my arm. I'm in:thumbsup2

I AGREE!! PI is doing a great job with this report, even is she is finishing a bit late ;) - but hey, she's a busy lady.

Loving all of the pictures as well as the commentary. This report is going to be a great help to a co-worker whose DD is heading to the CP in mid May.

I need to be at WDW right now too. Tired of all this windy, cold weather.

Thanks Kris. I am so close to wrapping this up. glad to know you are still here.

just a few more DCP highlights plus 2 Signature Dinners; a Snake and Iron Man on the Job!

I hope your co-worker finds the DCP info helpful. I was looking for any information I could when Mark first got accepted. It's not easy to find for parents.

And I am really tired of the cold too. Come on Spring!

Memorial Day
Monday May 27, 2013

Port Orleans Room Tour

Two questions I read from time to time on the Resorts Board:

1) Which Moderate to choose? and
2) Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?

Well having a distinct "Goldilocks" advantage of trying them all,
our preference is:

Port Orleans Riverside - Royal Guest Rooms.

Hands down the best resort and room we've ever had the privilege in a Moderate!!

Let me explain:

POR vs POFQ

Are 2 very unique resorts connected within one massive complex.
Each provides certain amenities to suit your vacation style:

Where they Differ:

The Pools
Resort Size
Food
Transportation Convenience
Overall Layout
And Room Design!!!

Rather than go into a litany of detail here, click on these links to the Resorts board
for a ton of information to help compare the two if you're unfamiliar or undecided.

Riverside
French Quarter

But before we depart "The Port", here's a sneak peak at our rooms:

Having been a guest on 3 separate occasions, and each time with an upgrade, I'm going to showcase the various accommodations in sequence - stay by stay.

I highly recommend this pattern, as once you've gone Royal, there's no turning BACK!!!.

First up: Riverside - Standard Double Room
(also available in a King Room.)

These are borrowed from my Flower and Garden Trip Report but worth reposting.

JQ and I stayed here for the very first time March 2013 and loved it!

IMG_8944_zpscfe78b10.jpg

IMG_8945_zpsac5c8816.jpg

IMG_8947_zps33dcab9b.jpg

IMG_8946_zps61b89bed.jpg

Next Up: Was a brief stay at:

French Quarter - Double Room

I thought these rooms were great! Loved the décor and loved the look and feel of the place.

Check out the deep drawer space!

Compared to the POR standard rooms, I thought I liked POFQ much better.

Until - Our Final Stay

Where we joined forces with the Royal Alliance of the "River"side
And have never looked back!

What's the big deal?

"I'll show you"

The Sign Post leads the way.

To a guest room nestled among these beautifully landscaped grounds and buildings

We arrive at the entrance

Beautiful View!

And unlock the Magic Door!

Port Orleans Riverside - Royal Guest Rooms

A Room Filled with Gifts given to Tiana from 7 of her Princess Friends.

Ariel
Aurora
Cinderella
Jasmine
Belle
Snow White
Rapunzel

You can spend hours admiring all the hidden detail while searching for the many gifts which adorn the room.

The headboard has a special surprise.

True - JQ and I were two adults.

But don't let that stop you!

I loved the feeling every time I returned to this room.

Can't wait to take my grandkids here.

Continued in the Next Post - College Program Week 1 Recap

Last edited:
Memorial Day
Monday May 27, 2013

Part VI – CP Week 1 Schedule and Transportation

Ok so where were we?

Still on College Program Day 1 – Checking In.

Crazy!?!?!

3 Remaining College Program Segments:

I. First Week Schedule and Recap
II. Packing/Shopping/Transportation
III.Iron Man's CP Experience and Photo Op

So let's get started:

I. First Week Schedule and Recap

What to expect during Week 1 of the College Program is usually a BIG ??? for new hires and friends and family.
It's tough to try and figure out how much time and availability there is when everyone first arrives.

Now that Iron Man is back, I borrowed a few folders with info already in the public domain to help solve this riddle. (edited of course!)
Hope it proves helpful.

Here's a great day by day recap of what to expect your first Week (courtesy of the Disney Website)

http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/onboarding/fl/pre-arrival-information/your-first-few-days/

Your First Few Days
Check-in Day

You will receive your housing assignment and also set up payroll deduction for your weekly housing payments.

You will also have your photo taken for your Housing Property ID.

****It is extremely important that you are within Disney Look Guidelines in regards to hair, makeup, jewelry, and body modifications when you arrive so that you are not delayed with taking your photo****.

Please also be sure you are not wearing a sleeveless shirt.
Your photo will be taken for your ID, so your shoulders must be covered.

Background Check
For the safety and security of all of our guests and cast members, all new cast members must undergo a criminal background check.
As part of the background-check process, it will be necessary for you to be fingerprinted. The fingerprints are then submitted to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) for further processing. On your application, you authorized this process and agreed to undergo a criminal background check prior to the start of your employment. This authorization also allows us to use this process to conduct a criminal background check on you at any time during your employment.

Drug Testing
To ensure a safe and healthy environment for our guests and cast, we are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of the influences of drugs. For specific roles, an offer of employment is conditional based on a satisfactory result of a drug test result for illegal substances. The company also has a policy of drug and alcohol testing on a random basis or under other circumstances during the course of employment.

Employment Eligibility Verification
You will need to have your employment eligibility documents with you so that we can verify your I-9 Work Authorization Form. These must be the originals. Photocopies of these documents will not be accepted. If you do not have the proper employment eligibility documents with you, you will not be able to begin working.

Housing Welcome Session.
This mandatory meeting will be scheduled when you receive your housing assignment and will take place either in the late afternoon/early evening of your arrival day, or the following day in the morning or early afternoon.

Disney Traditions Schedule
You will receive the date and time of your Disney Traditions class. Disney Traditions is your company orientation class and your first day of work. It is a program that introduces each new generation of cast members to the culture and heritage of the world-famous Disney organization.

**NOTE:** If you do not have the proper employment eligibility documents with you, you will not be able to attend Disney Traditions or start your location training.

Work Location
A representative from the work locations will give you information about your role and your training schedule.

Lifeguard Swim Test
Lifeguards typically take their swim test the first day of check-in. Details will be distributed during the check-in process. During your swim test you will be tested on the following:

• 200-yard swim
• 2 minute tread without the use of hands
• Retrieving a 10 lb brick from deep water using a feet-first surface dive
• Vision test

Also:
1) Bussing for participants only is provided from Vista Way to Casting to Apartments
2) Paperwork is filled out to either have your Paycheck Direct Deposited into your own bank account or be issued a payroll debit card. Mark brought his checkbook to set up direct deposit.
3) Check In Day = Move In Day
4) Apartment Keys are Issued
5) Vehicle Registration Form/Sticker Issued – Must have the policy page that shows the CP’s name as a listed driver if on parents Auto Ins..
6) Both the Check In Day and Housing Meeting Day are not official work days. They are unpaid information sessions.

Housing Welcome Session Meeting

Program participants who did not attend the Housing Welcome Session on check-in day will attend a session.

Other than the welcome session, this is typically a free day for participants – it allows you time to unpack, meet your roommates, and go shopping for groceries or other apartment essentials. During larger arrival periods, there is often a social activity in the evening.

The Housing Welcome Session is the Green sticker placed on back of your Program Guide:

there is also a sticker with your work assignment and
Day 1 bus schedule from Vista to Casting.

Day 3 or Day 4
Attend Disney Traditions
Disney Traditions is the program that introduces each new generation of cast members to the culture and heritage of the world-famous Disney organization. With a focus on the past, present and future of Disney, Disney Traditions will help you recognize and appreciate the connections you have to the Disney story, the daily impact you can have on the quality of the Disney show and the role you can play in our company's growth and success.

Professional attire will be required when you attend Disney Traditions class and Disney College Program Education courses.

Additional questions you may have regarding grooming guidelines are covered in the Disney Look section of this site. You will be required to meet these guidelines when you arrive, including the Disney Look guidelines for hairstyles.

Mark’s Traditions info. was printed on a Blue Handout,
He would start work on Thursday - Day 4.

Traditions

1) Kicks off the official First Day of Employment in the Disney College Program

2) WDW Nametag and Company ID. are Issued
(prior to this, the CP participants do not have Free Park Access)
3) May be delayed or suspended if you have any paperwork/background issues during check-in.
(Problems can bar a person from participating. So if you think you have an issue or something that may show on a background check, consider contacting the CP recruiting office ahead of time to obtain the necessary paperwork for review and clearance prior to check-in

Day 4, Day 5, Day 6...
Work Location Training
After you have completed your Disney Traditions class, you will begin your work location training. Some may begin this training immediately after their Disney Traditions class. Others may have a day or two between Disney Traditions and when their location training starts

This is an example of a "Work Location" training schedule for Days 5 and 6.

(courtesy of Iron Man)

With the exception of Traditions - which is mandatory for everyone, the training schedules are all uniquely tailored to their job assignments.

RECAP: Mark’s Week 1 Schedule

Day 1 – May 27 - Check In (housing ID/housing keys/vehicle registration) (Mon)
Day 2 - May 28 - Housing Mtg.
Day 3 - OFF
Day 4 – May 30 -Traditions
Day 5 and 6 - May 31 / June 1 - Work Training (Fri/Sat)

etc...........

We were leaving June 1. (Day 6)

– Notice the DAY OFF IS BEFORE TRADITIONS.

So no Free Park Entrance for the CP candidate.

Also, they will not receive their Friends and Family Complimentary Main Gate Passes for Several Weeks – so plan accordingly.

Here’s an older version of their week 1 schedule - from Mark's Jan. 12, 2011 start date.
(you can see how he was scheduled to train and work – immediately)

That year, he checked in on 1/12 and had his housing meeting the same day.
He had Jan 13th and 16th off.

Not shown on this schedule are the non-paid days prior to starting work with Disney:

day 1 = Wed Jan 12 - Check In and Housing Mtg
day 2 = off
day 3 = Traditions (1st day of work)
and so on - hopefully you get the idea

So for both programs Mark only had 1 day off prior to Traditions – and he spent it with his roommates!!.

Next up: CP – a single guy packs and shops.

Last edited:
Just got an email for a passholder presale to buy a commemorative T-shirt for a 24 hr Park event this year.

What a tempting thought. But we could never top last year. I'll be looking forward to reading reports on this one.

so that's 3 yrs in a row.

Annual Event???

Memorial Day
Monday May 27, 2013

Part VII - What To Pack? What To Bring? What to Buy?

These questions are asked every season by new recruits.
And the answers vary wildly for such a subjective issue.

One common trend:
Girls tend to plan and arrange their rooms ahead of time.
Guys just show up and will sleep on a bare mattress if they have to.

Mark was lucky. He's a male, so there was no prerequisite in the interior design department.

Which makes moving in very easy! But he still had to pack.

So what DO you Pack??

Here's a list of items to bring (again courtesy of the Disney CP website)

Items to Bring

Air Travelers

The Disney Housing team does not have facilities to store incoming participants' personal belongings.
If you have belongings that you do not wish to bring with you on your flight, you should leave these items with a family member or friend and have them ship your items as soon as you obtain your postal mailing address when you check in. We would encourage you to research your airline's additional luggage fee because it may or may not be less than shipping your items via the U.S.P.S., UPS or FedEx.

Do Bring

While many amenities are supplied for you, you may want to bring additional items for recreation, decoration or everyday necessity.

A valid (non-expired) Government Issued Photo ID to complete your background check and Disney Traditions.
Personal items such as linens (the beds are standard twin), towels, cosmetics/toiletries and personal medications such as prescription drugs (if needed)
Professional clothing (including dress shoes), casual clothing and a sweater/jacket
Other miscellaneous items such as personal cultural items (post cards of your hometown, photos, recipes, etc.), a camera, an alarm clock and a combination lock for your apartment locker
Electronics such as:
o TV (must be digital to receive full cable lineup), DVD player and a coaxial cable
o Stereo (small)
o Toaster
o Coffee Maker
o Computer with Ethernet card

It is strongly recommended that you bring money with you to cover your personal living expenses until your third pay period. This could be 21 to 23 days after you arrive.

Bring a car if you have one. Make sure you view our policy on vehicles.
Medical insurance information
Renter's Insurance Information (not mandatory, but encouraged)

Don't Bring

Pets of any type
Bicycles (Our facilities do not have bike/skate paths or bike storage facilities)
Small / mini refrigerators
Candles (our fire code prohibits burning them)
Weapons of any type
Hookah pipes / drug paraphernalia

You are permitted to bring roller blades/skateboards/skates; however you may not use them within the housing complexes.

Please remember that you will have one to seven other roommates in your apartment. Please be courteous

As I've mentioned before, Mark was the only one of his roommates to drive and the only one who had someone with him to help move in.

And what did Iron Man bring?

Here's a list of everything he packed:

NOTE: I was the one who wrote this. I took an inventory while Mark was moving in - which is why it's so detailed. (gave me something to do)
And I left it there in case he wanted to note what to bring back.
Well, he never looked at it. :rotfl2: It was still in his portfolio!!

I found his actual packing list he wrote before we left. I'll have to post it. It's hilarious!!!!)

plus:

hangers
bedding
pillows
blankets
backpack
duffle bag
blue soft pak cooler
portfolio
supplies: tape/scissors/duct tape/pens/etc.
padlock
bungee cords
food storage containers
tv stand
lamp
alarm clock
portable player w/ docking station
freeze packs
and cloth shopping bags

The other roommates all arrived by air with limited luggage.
So as soon as everyone was settled in, they hopped the bus to Walmart (along with every other CP candidate).

Move in day tends to cause a run on inventory and quickly deplete supplies, so plan accordingly

Also, you have to carry everything you buy and sit with it on the bus, so be prepared.

Here are a few Helpful Hints:

Tip # 1: VIEW THIS TRANSPORTATION VIDEO (courtesy of Disney's website)

https://disneyprogramsblog.com/bus-tips-wdw/

To get an idea of transportation, seating and spacing for your first shopping trip.
Remember: there is NO storage underneath the bus so you have to manage with everything you buy.

Tip # 2: CHECK OUT THIS CP VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ML3KWBCSs
(posted Jan 2014)
Good intro with a tour of the 3 bedroom and bus trip to Walmart.

Tip # 3: READ THIS POST.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2644163

(It's dated but helpful.)

Ok. Time to wrap up Iron Man's check in.

It's now after 5 pm. Dinner is at 8.
Our son calls to say they were stuck at Walmart with a ton of stuff.
Check-out lines were a mess and took a long time which caused them to miss the bus.
The next one wasn't due back for another hour.

JQ tells Mark he's on his way and will pick them up.

Change of plans:

Drop me at Saratoga
Pick them up at Walmart,
Drive back to Saratoga
Drop JQ off
Hand over the truck.

Sounds simple? Yeah right.

"Disney's Law": Everything takes exponentially longer when you are anxiously pressed for time.

This would be no exception.

JQ without hesitation drives right over to the Walmart Supercenter off 535/Vineland Road near Vista Way.

(Shown here at bottom right on the Map they gave Iron Man when he checked in.)

Note: this map is NOT to scale

Google clocks it at 4.6 mi from Saratoga Springs - about 10 mins.
No problem. Shouldn't take more than a ½ hr. round trip.

Seemed very logical. (which should have been our first clue)

Well, as soon as he gets there, JQ can't find them.

Why?

Because apparently there are 2 Walmart Supercenters.
And they were bussed in the complete opposite direction to the one on Turkey Lake Road.

Check it out.
(Learn something new every day at Disney)

A =Saratoga Springs
B = Vista Way Apartments
C = Walmart on Vineland (where JQ drove)
D = Walmart on Turkey Lake (where Mark was bussed to from Chatham)

So 10 mins. quickly becomes 40 by the time it was sorted out.
Which turns right into 90 once you factor in Memorial Day + Rush Hour + DTD Construction.

C'est La Vie!

They were so rushed they dropped JQ off at 6:45 and drove out of there.

See Ya Later Iron Man!!

Today was Monday and we were leaving Sat.

So we bid adieu to our son and his truck!

Hello Disney Transportation!

BTW: check out the few receipts I found among his papers.
(incl. the one from this shopping trip - 5/27)
Just to give you an idea of what my son's budget afforded him:

He spent $ 67 that first trip.

I asked him, what's with the almond milk? He said "that's all they had."
and why another coaxial cable? "because the tv was old and not compatible with the hookup"

check out all the linguine and clams per that other receipt. Too Funny.

A few random comments:

A) Try to visit Target or Walmart ahead of time
B) Bring sturdy shopping bags with handles to assist with shopping by bus
C) If you must take the bus to Walmart on move-in day, consider prepurchasing some stock items in advance online.
This way they'll be ready for store pick-up when you arrive.
(just make sure you have the correct store for pick-up. There are two Walmarts in the area they bus to)
D) Remember - you can only carry so much at a time by bus, with your first visit probably starting with a bed in the bag + pillow.
So plan accordingly!
E) The bus runs on a tight schedule in 1 hr intervals.
F) You'll have the next day off before Traditions so you can finish up shopping then!!

Time for some fun!

next up: A Signature Dinner for 2 at Monsieur Paul's

Last edited:
Memorial Day
Monday May 27, 2013

Dinner for 2 at Monsieur Paul

“"He left us!” “He left us!”"

Iron Man drove off with his roommates pretty much for good.
They had big plans at DTD.

Well he's not the only one.
We quickly hop the next bus to France at 7:20 pm.

To check out their new signature restaurant.
(Former home of: “The Bistro de Paris” )

Dinner is at 8.

I'm a bit nervous. We aren't in the habit of taking Mickey transportation.
So who knows how long this will take?

13 minutes later, we are dropped off.

Which leaves about 25 mins. to trek from A to B.

The EPCOT entrance gates are nowhere in sight!

So we walk

And patiently walk

But we don't have a care - "Love is in the Air"
(coming to you live - every night at EPCOT)

And walk a bit more.
Looks like we’re closing in on this couple.

Finally after about a 6 minute stroll - we are going in!

At this point, I have no idea if JQ and I, a couple of sedentary half century jets, can realistically walk it from the front entrance gates of EPCOT to France in less than 20 mins.

But we're gonna try.

Ahhh....... sunset befalls a Future World
“amour”

It's May 27 - "where have all the flowers gone"

Illuminations will not be joining us tonight. (or will it?)

We're keeping a sharp eye toward an iconic landmark.

7:55 pm.
Crossing the bridge to France, while guests patiently wait at one of our favorite event venues for tonight's show to start.

No time to meet this beautiful Princess! (too bad)

7:56 pm - Arriving right on cue. Perfect.

Wander around the back of Chefs de France toward the bakery and you will find a very inviting door.

James may appear to be lost, but he knows the way.
(you see, we have a bit of history with this place.)

The barricades are just about to come down for the Grand Opening of L’Artisan des Glaces – (home to the Ice Cream Martini)
and the all new Les Halles Bakery on May 29, 2013.

Which we of course went back to visit before we left!

Ok so let me give you some background before we go in to dinner.

Everyone has their favorite places at Disney. For whatever that special reason may be.
We all share this in common. (among many things)

Well France is a personal favorite of ours.

After 20 yrs together, JQ and I finally got married during a cocktail reception at sunset, on the grounds of Swan property Thanksgiving weekend 2006. Being old, and having waited so long, we wanted to treat our 80 guests who made the extraordinary effort to be there to an unforgettable experience.

And since we were so seasoned, and our nuptials bucked tradition, the "reception" called for something unique. Something special. Something non-catered or banquet style. In other words, we wanted to take everyone out to an exceptional dinner at Disney.

Well there's one big problem with this plan, which anyone in the restaurant business will tell you.
They typically do not have the means nor grill capacity, to seat and timely serve 80+ guests all at the same time by just giving them an entire menu to order from at will.

So we had to be a little more creative in our planning.

Long story short, we rented out the Bistro de Paris for the night.
Equipped with its' own kitchen upstairs (they do not share with Chefs de France), private management team, regional wait staff, and critically acclaimed chefs, the Bistro was the perfect solution.

They designed an incredible 6 course dinner and presented each guest a menu with several items to choose from.
Nobody had to preselect ahead of time.
So nobody knew what was for dinner until they were actually seated.

It was a once in a lifetime experience we will never forget.

Here’s the beautiful menu they created – just another small example of the extraordinary level of excellence provided at Disney.

Along with the suggested wine pairings, was an open bar.
Plus, for dessert, the pastry chef surprised everyone with chocolate covered strawberries and a chocolate lava torte to accompany the chocolate mint soup.

Amazing!

Needless, to say, we could not wait to go in and enjoy the “new” Monsieur Paul.

Up next: Dinner is served at Monsieur Paul …………..

Last edited:
WOW! What a menu! Well worth the 10 year engagement.

I had forgotten just how good that dinner was. The service was over the top as well. I want to renew our vows and eat there again...minus the 80 guests, then go to karmel kuche' for some chocolate covered marshmallows. Epcot is a great time.

Memorial Day
Monday May 27, 2013

Dinner is served at Monsieur Paul

One of JQ’s favorite lines at Disney is “"I can always eat”", so let’s go in!

Monsieur Paul is located on the 2nd floor above Les Chefs de France.
Enter around the back of the building, and take the stairs to the right or the small elevator upstairs. (door on the left).

Straight thru to the other side is the extremely popular, family favorite - Les Chefs de France.
(1 TS credit on the dining plan.)

But we’re headed to France’s ‘other” Restaurant.

Monsieur Paul is one of only 2 signature restaurants in EPCOT.

Open for dinner only.

Here’s a quick intro from
Disney’s website:
Gourmet Dining, Magical Surroundings
Delight in the culture and flavors of France that renowned chef Paul Bocuse has shared with the world for decades.
Formerly Bistro de Paris restaurant in Epcot, Monsieur Paul is recently refurbished and located just upstairs from Les Chefs de France, the other gourmet French restaurant in the France Pavilion.
Here, you’ll discover a focused wine list, inventive twists on traditional French dinner and breathtaking views of World Showcase. This is the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion or simply savor delectable cuisine in a serene setting.

The Menu
The new menu is created by Chef Francisco Santin, who worked with Chef Bocuse in Lyon, France. Selections reflect the Bocuse tradition of French classical cuisine served with the freshest ingredients, at the perfect temperature and with just the right seasonings.
Menu items may include:
• Black truffle soup, the dish that earned Chef Paul Bocuse the medal of Commandeur de la Legion d'Honneur in 1975 at the presidential dinner at the Elysee Palace
• Lobster a l’Americaine
• Herb-crusted rack of lamb
• Mussel soup
• Salad with braised leeks and dry-aged ham
• Grand Marnier soufflé
• Triple chocolate cake

Here, you’ll enjoy the classic dishes and techniques of French cuisine—made with seasonal and local ingredients

As luck would have it, we were seated at a small, simply set table for two which happens to be right off the main entrance.

Love the napkin origami!

I’m thinking, “hey, we must be lookin’ pretty good tonight! They want us to be the first couple you see when you walk in”.
“Yeah, well don’t flatter yourself too much.”

Last to be seated draws the short straw and gets the dog table.
That’s just the way it is.

Our view (of the hallway)

Too bad. We never said a word. It had its’ pros and cons.
There were a few other late diners who also joined our section.

(smile JQ!)
"But I'm on the outside and I'm looking in."

As you can probably notice from the photos, Monsieur Paul tends to attract more intimate parties of 2.
It’s a very quiet, very peaceful, very upscale restaurant with these great big picture windows overlooking the French Pavilion
and Echo Lake.

The food is fantastic. The chefs are fantastic. The ambiance is fantastic.
The desserts are to die for. The service is impeccable.

And best of all, Illuminations puts on a show for those coveted window seats every night!

We just love the place!!!

We will be using up the last 4 credits expiring on our standard meal plan.
That means any appetizers are a la carte.

Let me apologize in advance for the poor quality of these photos.
Artificial light is once again at war with my camera.
(But I will try to showcase the best of the best.)

Amuse bouche - Gougères: little french cheese puffs with gruyere cheese

These are airy and bread like inside.
Very good but a strange choice given that bread is served as well.

Bread Course
A bread basket is not placed on your table.
The server will come by multiple times and offer a fresh baked selection.

Our picks:
(I can’t say exactly what they were)
But they were delicious.

Notice any baguettes in that basket? That’s right - they were completely out!
Last seating draws another short straw.

They did offer this little sun-dried tomato number as a consolation prize.
2 pts for artistry, but this is no understudy.

Monsieur offers a prix fixe menu in addition to their main menu to choose from.

Prix Fixe menu.
Priced $89.00 plus a $30.00 upcharge if using the standard dining plan.

No thank you.
We plan to savor multiple courses tonight!

Appetizers:

We didn't hold back and went for a few things to start.

And how great do these look!

One by one:

Saumon mi-cuit marine, salade de conocmbre. $ 17.00
Lightly cooked marinated salmon, blinis, cucumber salad.

This is an amazing appetizer! Unbelievably fresh and light.
It was a perfect first choice.

Jambon Serrano, asperge blanche remoulade et betterave rough $ 14.00
Serrano ham, white asparagus remoulade, red beets

JQ and I try to order a salad or cheese appetizer to accompany our meal as much as possible at a signature restaurant.
They are always so beautifully crafted and just excellent.
This would be no exception. It was one of the best we’ve had on property.

Homard forestier, ceuf de cailles mollet, bouillon crème aux truffles noires $ 29.00
Maine lobster with sautéed mushrooms, mollet quail egg, creamy black truffle bouillon.

This lobster appetizer is outstanding! Highly recommend!
The black truffle bouillon crème was not “heavy” at all.
And the lobster was cooked to perfection. We loved every bit of it.
(this dish can be filling.)

Knowing we were in for a long night, we had about half of the lobster wrapped to go.
JQ devoured the other two dishes, though. Too funny!

Moving on to the Main Menu

As you can see this is a very limited menu with only 5 items.

Our choices:

Rouget Atlantique en écailles de pommes de terre, fenouil, sauce romarin $ 41.00
Red Snapper in potato scales, briased fennels, rosemary sauce

There are no words to adequately describe how fantastic this dish is. Fresh fennel and rosemary sauce.
Perfectly cooked snapper with little potato scales to give it a perfect texture and crunch.
(similar yet not so similar to Flying Fish, and much much more.)

Incredible.
I will order this again if I ever get the opportunity.

I had most of this wrapped to go to save room for dessert.

And what did James order?

Filet de boeuf grillé forestier, purée de pomme de terre, sauce Bordelaise $ 43.00
Grilled beef tenderloin with mushroom crust, mashed potato, Bordelaise sauce

JQ took this very bad photo and it's the only shot we have. He said it was delicious. Ordered medium, and ate the whole thing. Amazing.

The mashed potato comes in this little crock.
They are a very creamy, thin texture, not thick at all.

And for Dessert?
I was offered to keep the menu. Good to know!

Really tough choices:

I went with

Le mille-feuille: Feuilletage, crème patissiere, fruits rouges, crème legere au citron, sorbet a la fraise $ 13.00

Puff pastry, pastry cream, berries, light lemon cream, strawberry sorbet

Just looking at this photo brings back such great memories. This is light crème filling with a hint of lemon and some fresh berries.
It was so delicious!

JQ went for de chocolat

Le moelleux: gateau tiede de chocolat aux amandes avec un coulis de framboise au centre, croustillant de noisettes, crème glacee a la noisette. $ 13.00
Warm chocolate & almond cake with raspberry coulis in the center, hazelnut crust, hazelnut ice cream.

He devoured it. (of course!) Said it was very good.

And that concludes Dinner with Monsieur Paul.
Hope you enjoyed it.

Up next. Snake!!!

Last edited:

Day 7

Tuesday May 28, 2013

“snake in the grass”

With Iron Man officially off on his College Program, we were free to go.
Lucky for us, we still had the rest of the week at Disney!

Our plans for the day were simple

Morning - DVC rep mtg. re: a VGF add-on
Afternoon - Pool time at The Springs and Monsieur Paul leftovers for lunch
Evening - 6:30 pm Dinner for two at the Flying Fish

Rather than bore you with all those details, let’s fast forward to The Flying Fish.

So after a very, very looong Memorial Day, and spending the entire next morning and afternoon at Saratoga
(with no vehicle!) JQ and I finally venture out for the evening.

"Take a walk on the wild side"

One of the great things about staying in the Congress Park section of Saratoga Springs is you can walk to Downtown Disney.

Look at this map.

In the bottom right corner is an area of grass and trees adjacent to Congress Park.
This has a convenient walking path to Downtown Disney.

(Daylight hours only!)

It’s 5:30 pm.
We are en route to the Boardwalk by way of the Downtown busses.

This sign should have given me a clue.

But all I hear are George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino.
So I carelessly proceed on feeling perfectly safe in the final daylight hours!

BTW - in case anyone is wondering when Dusk is?
It's after the sun goes down. (I looked it up! :lmao:)

We are going In! The path is short and takes about 2 seconds to arrive at the water.

Here’s the first stretch.

Round the bend to the second stretch.

"It’s a beautiful day!"

Then walk around a second bend.

And you quickly arrive at a fork in the road.

View to the right.

View to the left is the bridge where we are headed.

It’s a really nice walk.

And it’s in very close proximity to Congress Park.
Which is why we prefer this section.

From what I’m reading, Disney is planning to build a bridge to connect Saratoga right into the Marketplace as part of the Disney Springs Renovation project.

Here’s a fun new thread on the DIS started just a couple of days ago.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3266207

With a convenient new walkway and an incredible expansion planned from 75 to 150 dining and entertainment establishments,
I suspect requests for Congress Park will become more and more popular.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Did you happen to spot the snake in any of the above photos?

Well neither did I.
I walked right past the little reptile and never saw it!

In fact, I had never come across a snake at Disney in 30 yrs!
Not even in Ft Wilderness where we camped many times.

I think they’ve always been hiding in plain sight and I just never noticed.

JQ on the other hand……………… points it right out.

I call your attention to this particular photo.

Look closely toward the bottom right.

That's no tree branch!

I stopped. Took that picture, and just continued to walk on past it, no more than a foot away.

Well, unlike Henry Walton Jones, Jr. I do not appear to be ophidiophobic.
So as soon as JQ alerted me, I doubled back to get a good look.

Move Closer

Move Closer

Which one of us is the real predator?

Up next: Final Notes - Last to leave EPCOT.

Last edited:
WOW! What a menu! Well worth the 10 year engagement.

I had forgotten just how good that dinner was. The service was over the top as well. I want to renew our vows and eat there again...minus the 80 guests, then go to karmel kuche' for some chocolate covered marshmallows. Epcot is a great time.

Tempting! But we both know a "vow" anything on property is not the wisest use of a Disney dollar.

I say we cruise to the keys and do it there! (you know exactly what place I'm talking about!)

Too bad the Fantasy can't dock in Key West. Party at Remy would be perfect.
So that leaves "The Magic". Classic!

Day VII
Tuesday May 28, 2013

final notes......

Before I get started on Day 8 and dinner, here are a few parting comments from our previous night in Epcot

While it is true that an 8pm seating at a signature restaurant does risk drawing the short straw on seating there is one advantage - It takes its' time.

The park closed at 9 while we were still in the restaurant, but we never took notice.
There was no mention of it throughout the course of our dinner.

In fact we had no idea EPCOT had closed until we casually strolled out of the restaurant. and saw this! (and we weren't the last to leave!)

I turned to JQ, "what time is it?"
He looks at his watch. "It's 9:57 pm"

Me: "9:57 !?!? What time did the park close?"

JQ: "closed at 9"

Me: "Yo! We took the bus!! - from Saratoga, remember? No way are we getting out of here in 3 minutes"

JQ: "oh well"

At this point, we start to run thru all the transportation alternatives:

1) check with the front gate and if the busses are done, double back to the International Gateway, walk to the Beach Club, hop a bus to Downtown, catch a boat back to Saratoga and walk over to Congress Park. (least desirable!!)
2) hop the monorail to the MK if we can and bus back to Saratoga. (could take hours!)
3) get Iron Man to pick us up! (yeah right!)
4) hail a cab. (wherever they are.)

Not knowing which would win out, we start walking.

Entering a deserted UK
(again my apologies for the limits to my camera at night)

Our concern about how we would get back was quickly fading, the more we stopped to enjoy our surroundings!

A rare photo of me compliments of JQ!

"O Canada"

And of course, a couple of iconic parting shots. Looks so great upon exit!

Gift shop open at 10:30 pm? Looks like somebody is still shopping in there.

Turns out "none of the above" was the correct answer as a bus to our resort magically appeared as soon as we walked up!
(a big thank you to the excellent late night transportation cms)

When we returned, we spotted the balloon right outside our room! (minus the blur!!)

Next: Mini Trip - SWW IV w/Mark Hamill pt 1

Last edited:
Poison Ivy. I started this trip report because of the Auto Train part but I have really enjoyed all the other parts especially the CP part. You are an excellent storyteller balancing pictures with the written tale. Thanks and I hope you get a chance to finish this one and would love to read about the one that included the DCL section.

I must have more! I am loving your unique trip report...:goodvibes

Poison Ivy. I started this trip report because of the Auto Train part but I have really enjoyed all the other parts especially the CP part. You are an excellent storyteller balancing pictures with the written tale. Thanks and I hope you get a chance to finish this one and would love to read about the one that included the DCL section.

You two are just the inspiration I needed to polish up these last installments!
thanks so much and stay tuned. Updates will be posted today!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter