• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Auto Train to College Program w/24hr at MK & SWW(new!SWW '14 rope drop/sci fi brkfst)

I absolutely love the auto-train. We have used it many times - probably 10. We usually get the superliner BR and a roomette since there are 5 of us. The little guy (8yo) and I sleep on the bottom bunk of the Superliner - a little cozy, but not bad at all. What I like the most is being able to bring our stuff - we have a Suburban and bring bikes, fishing poles, etc. We usually do a day or two at the beach also with WDW.
The reason the Family room is so rough is that it is on the first level and at the end of the car. You feel the wheels on the tracks much more. We always have the second floor.
Unfortunately, Amtrak has eliminated the Welcome reception with wine and snacks. In reality, we try and eat at 5pm or 7pm. The kids like the lounge car to watch the movie, but we can only do that if we eat early. So if we eat snacks, then no one is hungry at dinner.
We bring Legos, a puzzle, board games, cards and such and go to the Lounge car. We have a good time. The kids and I sleep very well on the train, but my husband does not. Still, it beats driving and flying.
We have a travel trailer and have stayed at Fort Wilderness. Obviously we drive then, but we have all our stuff with us.
Finally, I agree to travel during off times - not near a holiday as the prices go up - just like the airlines.

Thanks, I love your trip report and pictures.

Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to post. I really appreciate your input. It's great to hear from an Auto train vet!
We thought the Superliner staterooms looked great when we went exploring and really hope to try one someday. I like your travel set up for 5. The roomettes were practically right next to the superliner bedrooms in our passenger car.

We really did love the auto train too. What a great option for transporting all your stuff. I was sorry to read they eliminated the wine and cheese reception.
That was a nice perk. Amtrak implemented a lot of changes since our trip, but overall this is still a fantastic way to travel to and from FL.

I'm glad to hear you too are a member of the Fort Wilderness family. I miss those days.

You're back! Woo Hoo!

Woo Hoo is right!!! Love it. thanks.

Thank you so much for all the great info and photos. We are taking the auto train this summer. With only myself as a driver, the three of us are really looking forward to the experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter