• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Auto Train to College Program w/24hr at MK & SWW(new!SWW '14 rope drop/sci fi brkfst)

YEAH!!!
I knew you could do it :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Never a doubt.

Now, what kind of excursion can you think of for the cruise..:rotfl:

Congratulations.

I am so glad you had such faith in us!! It was a very close call. I was laughing when you first bet that we could do it. The cruise is an entirely different situation will our multiple generations en route. JQ's going to max out on entertainment, dining and concierge if he can! We can't wait!!!!

But this will be a land - sea - tree adventure. My main goal is to eat around the world during the Food and Wine Fest - same goal I always have - and same goal I always fail at. but you never know!!

24 hours in the park. Awesome and exhausting just reading about it. Loved you 24 twist!

I know, so true how exhausting it sounds!! Thanks so much for reading along. Glad you enjoyed the game. We loved playing it. Now to invent something else for Sept.:scratchin :rotfl2:

I love these pictures! My first time to MK was 1976 (I was 3) and I do remember certain things. I loved Disney in the 70's!!

I love these pictures! My first time to MK was 1976 (I was 3) and I do remember certain things. I loved Disney in the 70's!!

Thanks jane! Glad you enjoyed them. if you went in '76 at the age of 3 then you're only a couple years younger than my baby sister who is 4 1/2 in those pics. She loves Disney just as much and remembers it back then too.

So this would have been the Magic Kingdom you visited as well. What a place!. Great to have you here to relive those days.

Loving the "old" pictures. Your dad was a handsome young man and you definitely look like your mom. Thanks for posting.

The 24 Challenge was an EPIC WIN!!! DH & I survived an 18-yr day at Epcot last New Year's Eve, but I don't think we could have matched your feat! :worship:

I subscribed to your TR to learn about thr AT, and to get such a bonus is just magical! pixiedust:

Looking forward to the rest of the trip, and how Iron Man likes the CP. :woohoo:

LOVED, LOVED your last update (the one where you completed 24)... there for a few paragraphs I felt my pulse racing as the "clock" ticked on! I found myself lightly cursing that dang CM for standing his ground on the closed line! Like did he NOT know how crucial the completion was to this report??

I think it's hilarious Iron Man decided to revisit the princesses! I love his shoot with Jasmine - he has that little twinkle in his eye!

Great job enjoying the 24 hour day to a whole other level! thanks for sharing! :thumbsup2

gina

Loving the "old" pictures. Your dad was a handsome young man and you definitely look like your mom. Thanks for posting.

Glad you enjoyed them. I'm sure my dad would be thrilled to know he was looking good back then. The 70's were a great time for them.

Love the retro pics. ;)

thanks wiigirl. Glad you enjoyed them.

The 24 Challenge was an EPIC WIN!!! DH & I survived an 18-yr day at Epcot last New Year's Eve, but I don't think we could have matched your feat! :worship:

I subscribed to your TR to learn about thr AT, and to get such a bonus is just magical! pixiedust:

Looking forward to the rest of the trip, and how Iron Man likes the CP. :woohoo:

Thanks so much! We were so happy when we won after trying so hard in the final hour! It felt great! Wow - 18hrs in Epcot for New Years is incredible! I don't know how you guys did it. It must have been fantastic but extremely crowded. This is something we've never done mainly out of pure fear of the unknown. Congratulations!

Iron Man's CP is coming right after Star Wars. Stay tuned. he's doing great btw. Working hard and hanging out. A new round of hires has arrived for the Fall Program so they're busy training and welcoming everyone. We can't wait to see him next month.

LOVED, LOVED your last update (the one where you completed 24)... there for a few paragraphs I felt my pulse racing as the "clock" ticked on! I found myself lightly cursing that dang CM for standing his ground on the closed line! Like did he NOT know how crucial the completion was to this report??

I think it's hilarious Iron Man decided to revisit the princesses! I love his shoot with Jasmine - he has that little twinkle in his eye!

Great job enjoying the 24 hour day to a whole other level! thanks for sharing! :thumbsup2

gina

Thanks Gina. I know. It was crazy! The adrenaline was in overtime trying to find those characters. That clock seemed to tick down so fast in the end. I thought it was over which had we failed at the cottage, would have felt so defeating the whole way out. And then to realize later we actually won with a little help from the Mother of all Pixie Dust - tinkerbell! Still, It would have been too late to enjoy.

Exactly. That 2nd photo shoot Iron Man had was too funny. That was the last place I would have imagined he went. I asked him later why he went back and he said, "I don't know". so I probed him a little and he admitted he wanted to do it over.

Sunday May 26, 2013

Darth Maul meets Willow

Part I

Our plans for the day:

Visit Hollywood Studios
8:30 pm Signature Dinner at Citrico’s

Hollywood Studios

After our brief encounter with The Force on Friday we took advantage of the fact that Star Wars Weekend extends over the course of 3 days and went back on Sunday.

Mark had a change of plans and wanted to join us, so we split the difference on a park ticket.

On our way out, of course these two are immediately distracted by the Pop’s airline check-in toys. Iron Man forms a 1 person line. Too funny!

Notice Mark sporting a few props he apparently bought during his solo escapades on Friday afternoon at Tatooine Traders in The Studios.

Jedi Training Adult robe - $ 64.95 + tax = $ 69.18 (yes! 70.00 dollars!)
Build your own Lightsaber - $ 20.00 + tax (which he describes as "an awesome place!"- they offer this at Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney also)

Star Wars Weekends – Weekend 2
May 24 – 26, 2013

SWW encompasses a lot more than we ever realized. They only host 4 of them – usually between May & June. We were lucky this was going on during our trip and really wanted to be there.

Eventhough we are big “Star Wars Trilogy” fans, you don’t have to be a diehard Star Wars anything to enjoy this! So please don’t hesitate to check it out!! It was so great!

We decided to focus on the Big Picture and try to experience as much as Disney had to offer. Here’s how 3 adults chose to enjoy the day.

First order of business - Grab a Park Map! This is vital.

Our weekend guests included:

2 Event Hosts – James Arnold Taylor & Ashley Eckstein (animated voices – the clone wars)
3 Celebrity Guests – Ray Park (Darth Maul); Warwick Davis (Willow); & Jim Cummings (animated voice – the clone wars)

All 5 participate in autograph sessions which require a special FP. Only one FP allowed per guest - limited quantities, and distributed on a first-come, first served basis at the main entrance to Hollywood Studios. Since you only get one, you must choose that autograph carefully. This is spelled out very clearly in the "autograph sessions" section of the brochure I posted above.

Many fans start to line up for these FP’s waaay in advance – easily by 4am – especially for the more popular celebrities such as Warwick Davis and Ray Park. (Ray Park has been known to get up early himself and head over to the park and visit his fans waiting in line to talk, interact and sign autographs - he is an amazing guy!)

We seriously debated getting one for Warwick Davis, but having just done a predawn wakeup for “24”, and not knowing whether this would tie up our day, we decided to pass. Hopefully we'll get another opportunity someday.

Now that the autograph FP’s were off the table, here's the rest of the park map with everything that remained for us to choose from:

Disney made it very easy to follow using a numbering system of 1 to 5.

The character encounters, Legends of the Force motorcade and several shows in the Premiere Theatre (#4) were our main goals.

We arrived at the park around 9:00 am. and walked over to check out Toy Story Mania, which was already at a 3-4 pm return time. We grabbed a few fastpasses but later gave them away.

We kept walking down Pixar Place to the Studio Backlot Area to meet up with the Dark Side!

The Stormtroopers randomly patrol around and taunt guests. They called out the Iron Man

And look who JQ found! They were set up near Darth Vader tucked back in a special area of the Backlot. He felt fully vindicated after Friday night

Around 10:30 we noticed a big crowd for the parade gathering and quickly grabbed a great spot near the stage.

Legends of the Force Motorcade and Celebrity Welcome

This was excellent! It is a traditional marching parade which stretches from the soundstage all the way down Hollywood Blvd, to the entrance for as far as the eye can see. It’s such an amazing visual of characters from all the Star Wars movies. So many CM's and VIP’s get to participate – including a whole group of children. We loved every minute of it!

Here are a few highlights

Ray Park

Warwick Davis

Jim Cummings

Ashley Eckstein

James Arnold Taylor

Celebrity Welcome

Next up – Darth Maul v Willow II

Last edited:
Ok,
I was only standing on the luggage scale to see how much my coffee weighed! I was definitely over the bag limit though.

Funny how my son got in line right behind me to have his turn...like we need to even know our weight. I think it's because whenever I'm in Disney World I feel like a curious kid.

Ok,
I was only standing on the luggage scale to see how much my coffee weighed! I was definitely over the bag limit though.

Funny how my son got in line right behind me to have his turn...like we need to even know our weight. I think it's because whenever I'm in Disney World I feel like a curious kid.

Said NO woman ever! I'm pretty sure women would erect a 10 foot tall electrical fence around any free standing scale just to ensure we wouldn't accidently come in contact... :scared:

But hey, you got the first attraction out of the way and didn't even have to get a Fastpass!

gina

Said NO woman ever! I'm pretty sure women would erect a 10 foot tall electrical fence around any free standing scale just to ensure we wouldn't accidently come in contact... :scared:

But hey, you got the first attraction out of the way and didn't even have to get a Fastpass!

gina

Gina, I know JQ's going to respond to this but I couldn't stop laughing when I read it!:rotfl2: I mean, they stop all the time to check out stuff. but when they saw that scale it was like a magnet! I couldn't believe it when I saw them form a line - I just had to take that photo. They're in some weird sync world I swear.

yeah, no way was I getting in a public weigh in line!
Those two have it made!

:goodvibes Great update!

thanks wiigirl. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Sunday May 26, 2013

Darth Maul meets Willow

Part II

Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

The parade wrapped up around 11:30 am, which gave us the afternoon to enjoy before heading out. The plan was to leave no later than 6:00pm.

We were headed here:

Premiere Theatre – High energy shows every day this weekend.
(Item #4 on the Park Map)

Behind the Force: Star Wars Voices 12:00 pm - (Ashley Eckstein)
An Ewok’s Tale – My Short Story - starring Warwick Davis 1:45pm
Stars of the Saga 3:30pm - (James Arnold Taylor)
Visit to the Maul - starring Ray Park 5:00pm
Obi-Wan and beyond - starring James Arnold Taylor 6:30pm

Being a big fan of the movie Willow, I really wanted to catch the Warwick Davis show at 1:45pm.

I tell JQ that it looks like each celebrity hosts only 1 show and since Warwick Davis is a big draw, we should assume it will be hard to get into and get in line early.

We decide to take advantage of the fact that the autograph sessions were going on, and look for a place to grab lunch first.

So we walk – again – through Pixar Place. Check out the Toy Story Mania’s wait time now!

I could not imagine who would commit 3 hrs of their life to this? Unless of course, it happens to be for a unique and very special purpose – which I would certainly understand. Otherwise – no way!

For the record, our longest wait time for a ride happens to be 3 hrs. – Kingda Ka May ‘06 - tallest coaster in the world, at Six Flags Great Adventure. But this was purely by accident since we had no idea it would turn into a 3 hr wait when we got in line. And this was to ride the record breaking Tallest and Second Fastest Coaster in The World!!! (we’re huge coaster fans: Millennium, Top Thrill Dragster, Goliath, “X”, Griffon – you name it)

Ok enough Bio. – let’s move on!

Iron Man had a pre-DCP mini-meet planned in the Studios and would catch up with us at the show.

First place we see for lunch - Studio Catering Co. – Back lot Area

I’ve said this before, but it’s worth repeating - JQ and I have very limited counter service experience with DHS. Practically None! This has been changing by the visit though, and we are about to record yet another test market entry into our dining planner.

So where exactly is Studio Catering Company? If you walk down Mickey Avenue thru Pixar Place (passing Toy Story Mania on the right), you immediately enter the “Back Lot” of the Studios. This is where we had been all morning and ran back that way as a quick escape from the massive parade crowd. So this is where we found ourselves once again.

We decide to stop at the first QS establishment we see – and here it is:

Studios catering Co (on the left.) Darth Vader & Mike and Sulley were back under that one-story open tin roof on the right.

Their menu

Quite a few choices with nothing in our DNA (Disney Native Archives) to rely on for assistance.

We sacrifice 1 QS credit:

Pressed Turkey Club – turkey, applewood bacon, swiss, roasted red pepper, arugula, multigrain ciabatta bread, served with coleslaw, apple slices or fries.
Large coke and chocolate fudge cake.

This sandwich by design alone, has the potential for magnum greatness – but sadly is in need of a few improvements.

1. The multi-grain ciabatta hybrid roll vs real ciabatta bread; and
2. The “pressed” turkey vs. fresh turkey.

Other than that, it’s perfect!!

Of course this is purely my opinion, so please, take it for what it’s worth – which is zero - as usual.

Ok let’s go see Warwick Davis!

We of course have zero experience with any of this, and immediately fire off multiple questions:
( which I now have answers to!)

1. where is the Premiere Theatre?
2. how many does it hold?
3. how popular is this show?
4. do we need a special wristband to get in?
5. what time should we line up?
6. should we try to get lunch first?

The Premiere Theatre – is a 1500 seat theatre located on New York Street.
It is no longer open to the general public except during special events.

Here’s a brief blog from Disney’s website:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/05/vintage-walt-disney-world-inside-the-backlot-theater-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

The theatre is housed inside a replica Soundstage building which also serves as the San Francisco Mural Backdrop. (it normally hides behind a barricade wall everyone typically walks by. But not today! Doors are open!!)

The line up for this venue begins in an alley directly across the street - adjacent to the Muppets Show building

No special wristband or ticket is required. So we get in line at 12:30pm

This is what we encountered at that time. We were lucky. It was cool and shaded in this area.

And this is what the crowd grew to by 1:20pm The entire alley was jam packed, and the line stretched outside all the way around the block and way up the street.

Here’s some earlier outside shots. The alley we were waiting in is where the blue tank is. You can see the line already forming around the block.

Once the doors open, the street is blocked off and the entire line is shuffled thru this que to maximize crowd control.

Here we go! It felt really great walking in knowing we had gotten a seat.

I tried to snap a photo of the size of the line way behind us - which was still outside and around the block.

We have now just crossed the street and are going in!

And here’s the theatre!

Continued in the next post

Last edited:
Darth Maul meets Willow cont….

Let the Shows Begin!

An Ewok’s Tale

What an excellent event! This was a new one-man show where Warwick Davis hand picks a cast from the audience to act in various scenes he directs.

He tells short stories about his life and various roles throughout the show.

It was so great! During the show we learn he’ll be a guest on James Arnold Taylor’s show coming up next. So we exit and immediately get back in line.

Excellent Show as Well! It’s set up like a talk show, where James Arnold Taylor hosts two celebrity guests to discuss their lives and highlight their careers.

James Arnold Taylor is a talented voice actor which makes his notoriety difficult to achieve. He’s best known for his character Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars: the clone wars.

He’s a fantastic guy. Loves what he gets to do and was such a great host throughout the day. He really made it a perfect show. You could tell he thoroughly enjoyed the two celebrities he was mock interviewing.

First star was Ray Park. We knew absolutely nothing about Ray Park and were immediately taken by his genuine personality, integrity and humbled appreciation toward his family and fans. They joked about how he played a villain yet is so loved. He shared a few great stories about the making of the movie and other great roles he’s had. After learning so much, we are and will forever remain big fans of Ray Park!

Next star -

Again, we are big fans of his from the movie Willow but hadn’t followed his career all that closely, and honestly never realized he was the Ewok Wicket in Return of the Jedi at the age of 11. What an incredible guy. He talked about the challenges he faced as an actor and the gratitude he has for all the opportunities he’s been given particularly from George Lucas and Ron Howard. He mentioned Willow as his greatest starring role and shared stories about Val Kilmer. Really loved when he spoke a little about his own family. I could have listened to him all day and wanted to know so much more. He’s got a new show on cable he plugged – “Life’s Too Short.”

Really a great great show!! It really was an honor and privilege to be there.

Ok so three guesses what we did next?

Exactly! Turned around and went right back in for Ray Park’s show.

We are so glad we did!!

This show was amazing! Prior to going in, there are event CM’s who walk around giving out wristbands to all the children so they can participate on stage. Ray goes through his martial arts techniques with us and then brings the children all onstage and teaches them several choreographed moves. It was so awesome to see them workout with the Real Darth Maul!!! I highly recommend this to anyone who gets the opportunity in the future. The show is very popular and fills to capacity so get there early!!

Unfortunately we ran our of time and weren’t able to stay for the Jim Cummings show.
We knew very little of him also – but will hopefully get the chance to meet him someday.
He too is incredibly talented and a terrific person. Check it out –

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/06/voice-artist-jim-cummings-bounces-his-way-from-the-hundred-acre-wood-to-a-galaxy-far-far-away-for-star-wars-weekends/

Ok so if I sound a bit star struck it’s probably true. But not because we were in the presence of stars who happen to be on the big screen. It was because we were in the presence of stars who were truly humbled and appreciative that we took the time to stop by to visit them. We loved every minute of this!

up next: star wars wrap up

Last edited:
The pics of the Star Wars programs look like a lot of fun. Mark looks like a natural in his Star Wars "robe" maybe a new career in the making.
Hope he's having fun with his CP. How long before the cruise does he finish up?
The line up for the scale was too funny. Only a man would actually want to take the time to weigh himself - in PUBLIC.:rotfl:

And by the way - I'm also a Willow fan. Love that movie.

The pics of the Star Wars programs look like a lot of fun. Mark looks like a natural in his Star Wars "robe" maybe a new career in the making.
Hope he's having fun with his CP. How long before the cruise does he finish up?
The line up for the scale was too funny. Only a man would actually want to take the time to weigh himself - in PUBLIC.:rotfl:

And by the way - I'm also a Willow fan. Love that movie.

Not being a huge Star Wars fan, I had no idea how much fun this would be. The shows were excellent because the actors made an effort and were obviously enjoying it themselves. Disney really did an outstanding job with the character interaction throughout the park. Just about every Star Wars character you could think of was available for photos or just roaming around amongst the guests having a great time.

Mark is in the CP until early Jan.2014, so he has to get days off for the cruise. Hopefully it will work out.

Mark and I didn't think twice(actually it was my idea) about stepping on the scale. It was a reflex reaction. I was walking past and saw the scale and just stepped on it out of curiosity. Don't even remember what it read. Didn't know my wife was taking my picture though, oh well, snagged again.

gina

Gina,
You're absolutely right, I should have counted the scale as an attraction and checked it off the list.

I'm sure Christine didn't even notice the scale was there and was shocked to look over and see her Husband standing up on the stupid thing like a child. All of a sudden she finds herself walking alone, then sees her two "boys" playing on it like it's a ride. "Gee, where do you put the quarter in?...I thought this thing was supposed to tell your fortune too!"

Sunday May 26, 2013

Star Wars Weekend 2 - Wrap Up

Before I get to dinner at Citrico's, here are a few parting moments from our Star Wars Weekend:

I. Iron Man talks shop with Jedi Counsel members Anakin Skywalker & Shaak Ti - regarding the design and components of his makeshift lightsaber. (which apparently he intentionally built to mimic Anakin's.)

I never knew about this. Mark had a photopass card on him when he met up with us in line at the theatre. It never dawned on me he was portraying Anakin and had made a specific lightsaber until I recently viewed these photos.

But I'm glad he tends to do stuff like this - it's really good! (JQ is telling me that Mark said he was "Anakin Skywalker who pretended to be Luke", which is news to me!)

II. The Jawas
They are very cool and will trade based on what you propose to barter with! Iron Man offered them a bag of Doritos he happened to have on him'
This was a big hit and he was given a Disney Conservation Expo pin in exchange. Tons of fun!!!

Here they are trading for a plastic sword and frog with a few kids.

III. The exceptionally brilliant casting, makeup and costuming:

Continued in the next post

Last edited:
Sunday May 26, 2013

Star Wars Weekend 2– Wrap Up

Continued…………………….

IV. The dark side roaming about the Backlot - are The Best!!!

They don’t stop for photos easily. Especially the Gamorrean Guard!
Here’s JQ making several attempts at photobombing after failing miserably to get any real photos with some of these characters.

Greedo – way off!

Aurra Sing – not a chance!

Gamorrean Guard

Strike one!
(nice try - but too far back and calling attention to yourself from the looks of that 2nd photo)

Attempt #2 – moving in from the other side:

Nicely Done!!

Which btw, the Iron Man seemed to have no problems with!

V. The fans – decorated for success!

It’s 6:30pm

Time to go!

Here’s a shot of the Hyperspace Hoopla crowd gathering already. Show starts at 8pm

What a great weekend we are having!

Up next – a signature dinner at Citrico’s.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter