Availability 7 months out?

And more to the point, the system may work for SSR now, but given how Disney is actively altering the product by implementing restrictions to really dissuade the intentions of buying cheap (SSR/OKW and AKV to an extent) and staying elsewhere, and how Disney is reallocating point charts that don't at all address membership needs/booking issues, I hesitate to recommend buying cheap points unless 1- you don't mind staying at [insert cheaper alternative here], or 2 - you are never able to book in the 7-11 month period.

Outside of those two instances, the "buy dirt cheap and roll the dice at 7-months" plan adds a layer of risk on top of the inherent risks of timeshare ownership, despite the fact that the process works well today for 1BRs, as Wakey rightfully points out.

With a Disney timeshare you're agreeing to pay 23 plus years of ADs. Do you really want to save a few dollars at the front end and be stuck holding the bag if Disney decides resale bookings should be crippled even further? Owners (like me and Wakey) make SSR work now, but if I had a time machine, I would not have bought my SSR and would've paid the little bit extra for an AKV contract instead; a resort I've since learned I would be happy to be "stuck" at.

Like yourself Bing, yes I have much more scepticism of DVC management now than I used to have and you are correct to point out that they may attempt to do the dirty on owners one day. However if they did, I’d expect to be grandfathered.

And I did buy SSR actually liking the resort, I think it’s great and I am a person who likes walking/ runnning (hence why AKV isn’t for us) and eating out on holiday, so it’s location is ideal. It just desperately needs its refurb (now starting in less than 2 weeks allegedly) and it needs the main building and restaurant sorting (also rumoured now to be happening). When all that is done SSR will be one of my go to resorts, so if I am stuck there I won’t be too unhappy. So people like me have best of both worlds and I wouldn’t change a thing. I had no problems getting in Beach Club this Xmas, and got BLT as well for New Year. I’d have bought an Epcot resort though if they’d have had a 2054 end date.

I was about your age when I first purchased and had the same issue. I couldn't bring myself to buy a 2042 resort no matter how much I love some of them. We ended up purchasing at SSR since we have never booked more than 7 months out. If we would ever start to book 11 months out we enjoy SSR so no issue. Having said that, SSR is not the same as the Epcot resorts.

Yes, it makes the decision process much more difficult. Having the flexibility as a DVC contract owner (likely resale) is a great benefit. Unless you develop a relationship with current DVC owner and work directly to avoid the mark-up on rental websites. This is what we have done the last few trips. I do not see the benefit of purchasing points directly from Disney unless they continue down the road of restricting resale contracts to stay at the future resorts. The only positive trend is how much the cost per point has risen over the years. Current DVC members bought points in the 90's for much less than what they are going today. I would hate to be sitting here in 2030 and the rental rates increase 100%

I own at OKW and SSR. We were able to stay in a one bedroom last August/September booking at 7 months. I've been able to get a BWV BW view studio at 7 months for President's weekend. I just modified a reservation yesterday morning for 1/3-1/10. There were one bedrooms available for BCV and BWV. That being said, I bought OKW and SSR knowing that I would be fine staying there. I look at being able to switch at 7 months as a bonus. If I had my heart set on the BW area that's where I would buy.

Beach club was my first choice too. But we couldn't stand the 2042 contract date. We ended up buying at Rivera. Something to consider. with the promotion it was much, much cheaper than BC direct (but not nearly as cheap as a resale contract). But its a risk. I'm really counting on the gondolas to be effective transportation to Epcot and HS. I could be wrong. Resale restriction was not a big deal to us. You really need to do your research and go into eyes wide open. We frankly probably didn't do enough research before we bought our Aulani points, and if I could go back in time, I would have bought a different home resort. You are doing the right thing asking these questions here.

This is a good post. Follow-up question: When looking to purchase now, the Deed Year comes into play even more with the Epcot resorts. I am in my early 30's looking to purchase. By the time the deed is up on BCV & BWV, I will be mid 50's and my kids will be late 20's. Does not seem like I am getting my value (even on resale). What would you suggest

As much as many don't recommend The Rivera Resort - because of resale restrictions down the road - but.........many, like myself, do buy for the long run - so I might consider this new resort. Might be the closest resort to get to the Epcot area. I think it looks great and has some great restaurants too. Having said that, I would love to see it in person before putting down/paying a nice chunk of money.

Not sure how many points you are looking to purchase. Perhaps a contract direct from the Rivera and a BWV contract resale? Each enough for a week in a studio. Can always bank and borrow if you want to stay longer/book a 1BDR or 2BDR. Use the BWVs contract for F&G or F&W.

Poly - only studios.....someday you might need a 1 BDR or 2 BDR.
BLT - have not stayed here but good choice if you like the theme and closeness to MK

I can list them all but they are all great for their own reasons/theme, etc. Tough choice.

Good luck, keep us posted.

i am a firm believer in buying where you want to stay.
Today, depending on the time of year you are traveling, booking at 7 months can be challenging. As DVC continues to have more properties, I expect that to only get more difficult.
Most of the time, 7 months at SSR, OKV are available, but we prefer not to stay there. often AKL does have openings.
There is little chance of BWV or BC during F&W at 7 months which is one of the main times we travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter