Can't say I'm surprised. I heard unofficially from a Cast Member that Joe Rohde (Executive Imagineer who did Adventurers Club, Animal Kingdom and Aulani to name a few) was having difficulties working within confines of the Avatar movie. I guess he's used to having complete creative license and developing ideas from scratch. I can't say I blame him. While Avatar was a good movie and the graphics were amazing, it just didn't seem to have enough "meat" to carry a whole land. Seems like WDW has been having some challenges lately with announced projects being "delayed" (which I interpret to maybe cancelled). First, they closed the clubs on Pleasure Island, announced Hyperion Wharf and then delayed/are reworking the additional "shopping and dining" concept. Now this entire Avatar land.....

Can't say I'm surprised. I heard unofficially from a Cast Member that Joe Rohde (Executive Imagineer who did Adventurers Club, Animal Kingdom and Aulani to name a few) was having difficulties working within confines of the Avatar movie. I guess he's used to having complete creative license and developing ideas from scratch. I can't say I blame him. While Avatar was a good movie and the graphics were amazing, it just didn't seem to have enough "meat" to carry a whole land. Seems like WDW has been having some challenges lately with announced projects being "delayed" (which I interpret to maybe cancelled). First, they closed the clubs on Pleasure Island, announced Hyperion Wharf and then delayed/are reworking the additional "shopping and dining" concept. Now this entire Avatar land.....

Lol! Joe Rhode can barely be considered an imagineer. He's a real self absorbed d bag. If the idea of Pandora can't inspire your imagination, then you have none Joe. It has nothing to do with whether it is a great movie or not (though my daughter and BF, 23 & 24) think it is great! It has to do with what can be done creatively within those parameters and just imagine the leeway of Pandora!

Take the chance and do it right.

My family talked about how cool it would be if instead of Avatarland if they built Narnia. It would fit it perfectly with the Animal theme since the people there live alongside animals!

Experiment113 said:
My family talked about how cool it would be if instead of Avatarland if they built Narnia. It would fit it perfectly with the Animal theme since the people there live alongside animals!

If narnia did well at the box office it would have been.the perfect replacement for beastlie kingdomme

johnGorski said:
BK in AK don't know why they can't just pull Avatar aside and move forward to a BK expansion.

Bk is dead. They won't make it now

I would also love to see Narnia. Why in the world Avatar was chosen is beyond me. I finally watched it and we all laughed at the idol worship of the trees/Earth. I think Avatar is a huge step in the wrong direction for Disney. I'd love to see it delayed permanently if they're really going to build it.

BK in AK don't know why they can't just pull Avatar aside and move forward to a BK expansion.

Well... Among other reasons.....

Large parts of BK were incorporated into Universal's Lost Continent, including it's major E-Ticket Attraction.... After Disney fired all the Imagineers who were working on it and Universal Creative subsequently hired them.

DCTooTall said:
Well... Among other reasons.....

Large parts of BK were incorporated into Universal's Lost Continent, including it's major E-Ticket Attraction.... After Disney fired all the Imagineers who were working on it and Universal Creative subsequently hired them.

Which is why you will never see bk at least ad originally intended

BK would be nice, but if Disney wants to get the turnstiles spinning the best thing they can do us close the deal with the Chinese government for a couple of Pandas

BK would be nice, but if Disney wants to get the turnstiles spinning the best thing they can do us close the deal with the Chinese government for a couple of Pandas

No offense but why in the world would pandas bring people to the park? They're cute and all but not exactly a big attraction.

No offense but why in the world would pandas bring people to the park? They're cute and all but not exactly a big attraction.

uhh... pandas are a HUGE draw for zoos... I mean HUGE.

http://www.newser.com/article/da1bn...rth-to-cub-at-national-zoo-in-washington.html

"Zoo director Dennis Kelly said officials expect the newborn will bring an additional 250,000 to 500,000 visitors to the zoo over the next year. That's on top of the 2 million visitors the zoo already receives annually."

could you imagine a 12.5-25% boost in visitors at animal kingdom?

uhh... pandas are a HUGE draw for zoos... I mean HUGE.

http://www.newser.com/article/da1bn...rth-to-cub-at-national-zoo-in-washington.html

"Zoo director Dennis Kelly said officials expect the newborn will bring an additional 250,000 to 500,000 visitors to the zoo over the next year. That's on top of the 2 million visitors the zoo already receives annually."

could you imagine a 12.5-25% boost in visitors at animal kingdom?

Interesting. I cannot imagine planning a theme park trip around a single animal. Maybe I'm just spoiled b/c I can easily access the Washington Zoo where they have pandas. I guess I can see pandas being a big draw for a zoo, but for a theme park? I dunno. I think it takes more than an animal you just look at to provide that kind of a boost. Theme parks are also considerably more expensive ticket-wise (plus lodging etc). That kind of a boost is on par with WWoHP. Can't imagine pandas being on the same plane of interest.

fuzzlekins said:
Interesting. I cannot imagine planning a theme park trip around a single animal. Maybe I'm just spoiled b/c I can easily access the Washington Zoo where they have pandas. I guess I can see pandas being a big draw for a zoo, but for a theme park? I dunno. I think it takes more than an animal you just look at to provide that kind of a boost. Theme parks are also considerably more expensive ticket-wise (plus lodging etc). That kind of a boost is on par with WWoHP. Can't imagine pandas being on the same plane of interest.

Its certainly different for a theme park but it would definately increase local interest and could increase time spent at the park by those week long visitors

I would be willing to bet that the attendance jump and press exposure from pandas at DAK would FAR surpass anything a ride can attract. And there is reason to believe Disney knows this and has been working on it for some time

Pandas would draw at least as much attention as a ride. A whole land? Maybe not

I think it would be great at rafiki's

the pandas at DC are HUGE draws. when that cub is old enough to show itself, tons of people will be out there. However, there's no admission charge for the National Zoo.

But they're very very expensive - you have to pay China a bunch of loot and even then you are only renting the pandas. It being a Disney park, they'd have to build an Asia to go with them.

TDC Nala said:
the pandas at DC are HUGE draws. when that cub is old enough to show itself, tons of people will be out there. However, there's no admission charge for the National Zoo.

But they're very very expensive - you have to pay China a bunch of loot and even then you are only renting the pandas. It being a Disney park, they'd have to build an Asia to go with them.

Disney and china are now business partners thougj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter