Avoiding Theft in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the bag I got! I just figured out how to do screen shots. The price is 39.99 but got cut off in the shot. It's an awesome bag.

I have a PacSafe medium sized backpack I love that I got from eBags. It also has a RFID protective pocket inside which I like as well.

And ya'll, when you're shopping for goodies online like this, do NOT forget to sign into your favorite airlines shopping site to see if the online store you're shopping offers extra miles for going through them! It costs not a dime extra and I rack up a good deal of extra miles every year that way! Woohoo! :dogdance:

I got a travel crossbody from ebags and the straps are not detachable and are cut resistant. Great bag for traveling. Looks cute too. I think mine was about $40, but they have some more expensive brands that are also nice on their site too.

I finally was convinced to just be practical and go the anti-theft travel bag route. Found a good sized crossbody on ebags that looks decent too imo.

https://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/ant-theft-classic-cross-body-bucket-bag/261878

Got about 250 airline miles in the process too!:)

I finally was convinced to just be practical and go the anti-theft travel bag route. Found a good sized crossbody on ebags that looks decent too imo.

https://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/ant-theft-classic-cross-body-bucket-bag/261878

Got about 250 airline miles in the process too!:)
Most of the time (caution, most, not all!!) they will get into you bag and not steal the entire bag in Europe. They'll sneak into it and get your purse from it, but you'll still have the bag, so it being detachable doesn't matter.

Good point, but my Pacsafe bag has a lock on the zipper. It is a two handed sort of lock that is not easy to open. Nothing is completely impenetrable but if you actually use the lock, it does make it harder to get in to. I'd like to think a thief would decide to move on to easier prey.

We didn't carry our Passports.

Just an FYI, on current Mediterranean cruises you have to take your passports off the ship with you. They WILL be required to return to the ship. The only place we didn't have to show it to get back on the ship was in Naples. I think that was because we were not at the main cruise ship dock so they just checked our Key to the World cards.

We did a 14 day Mediterranean cruise in May (not DCL) and never took our passports and were never told to take our passports with us. The only time i had to take it with us on a DCL cruise was when we were in Venice.

We did a 14 day Mediterranean cruise in May (not DCL) and never took our passports and were never told to take our passports with us. The only time i had to take it with us on a DCL cruise was when we were in Venice.
Was there a DCL cruise that stopped in Venice? If not, how did you get there? I've wanted to go there, but it seems pretty out of the way.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Really? Geez! Yeah I just got back and that's what I did. Just because Disney didn't give you the option doesn't mean it's not an option.
We were just on the June 16-22 cruise and we had to show our passport to get back on the ship at every port (except Naples) and were reminded by the cruise director every day to make sure we took our passports with us. Never did they say you could take a copy and given how thorough they were in each port about checking the passports and making sure our names matched our key to the world cards, I seriously doubt a copy would have been acceptable.

We were just on the June 16-22 cruise and we had to show our passport to get back on the ship at every port (except Naples) and were reminded by the cruise director every day to make sure we took our passports with us. Never did they say you could take a copy and given how thorough they were in each port about checking the passports and making sure our names matched our key to the world cards, I seriously doubt a copy would have been acceptable.
I'm just reporting what I experienced on my cruises. I'm not going to argue with you about what I experienced and what was acceptable. Do you think I'm lying? Did you ask if you could bring a copy? If you didn't ask then you really don't know do you??? How do you seriously doubt it's acceptable if you didn't ask or you didn't try it? I would suggest to anyone cruising to ask if they say no come back and report it.

Back to the original list of ways to avoid being targeted....I would add ...(1)leave jewelry at home, especially dangly earrings, necklaces or bracelets, even watches. (2)Carry as little as possible when walking about...do you really need an iPad, a book, a change of clothing, extra shoes, 5 credit cards, a hat, for a 4- hour tour? (3)Keep a bit of cash for the day in a relatively easy place to access ..Inside pocket or crossbody bag. Credit cards, passport, and everything else in under-clothing pouch or money belt.
I've been to Spain, France, Italy --all pickpocket capitals - I've seen pickpockets and, with another chaperone, stopped a pickpocketer from picking one of our students in the gift shop at the Cathedral of Notre Dame (back pocket -after all the lectures!). I've wandered Las Ramblas and even enjoyed the street performances but kept my hand on my crossbody bag which was in front of my body and in front of my under-shirt bag. On a tour in Buenos Aires one member of our tour group, walking in a group of 3 couples to dinner, had a large gold necklace jerked from her neck. When she reflexively reached up to her neck, an accomplice grabbed her handbag and ran.

What, are people afraid of strangers loitering in bathrooms with their eyes pressed to the cracks and gaps watching others go to the bathroom??? Paranoia will destroy ya....
Agreed. I've never had this happen. I'd probably just wave, give them the finger, slip them a fake phone number,.....never had the opportunity to do any of that.

Last edited:
Was there a DCL cruise that stopped in Venice? If not, how did you get there? I've wanted to go there, but it seems pretty out of the way.

Yes, it was a 12 day cruise in 2013. I would hate to think how much they would charge for that now. :rolleyes:

I happened to be off work and was watching "Rip Off Britain Holiday Special" a couple of months ago and it was talking about Barcelona pickpocketing - they followed an under cover policewoman and she showed herself how easy it was to unzip someone's backpack whilst they were standing looking up at the Sagrada Familia - they never even felt her do it. This is why they suggest wearing them at the front in busy cities.

Of course we all look like tourists but I am surprised how many cruisers wear their bright yellow or silver lanyards around the cities. This is the first thing we take off. I did take our passports off the ship last year as instructed and put them in a under clothes money belt straight away but I left copies on the ship. I took 1 credit card out and not a lot of cash in a cross body bag with internal zips as well as outer.

I work in London 2 days a week and one of my colleagues told me off last week for looking at my iphone whilst I was walking along. She had hers swiped by a guy on a moped when she was looking at Google Maps - so although maps might mark you out as a tourist, I wouldn't necessarily see this as a bad option. For Florence and Naples last year I took ripped out pages of our Rick Steves book with me for city maps and restaurant guides.

One extra piece of advice I would add for people who use public transport to get to and from the airport - pack your "carry on" inside your "check in" luggage while in transit. It's much easier to keep an eye on a single, large piece of luggage than to try to watch two pieces of luggage.

Of course, that will depend upon the size of your carry on and how much space you have in your larger suitcase.

We have traveled quite a bit in Europe and only had one almost pickpocketing incident that happened in Paris. We were riding the Metro to Montmartre. My husband was standing next to where I was sitting. At one stop, a group of three men got on and stood way too close to my husband. They tried asking him for directions while pointing up towards the subway map. My husband knew exactly what they were trying to do. As one guy started to reach for my husbands pocket, my husband covered his pocket with his hand. He then told the guy that we are from NYC and there is no way he was going to allow him to take his wallet. The subway doors opened and they ran out as my husband yelled that they were pickpocketers.

Last edited:
...and we were going to a restaurant I learned about that has their entire menu duplicated gluten free ("senza gluten in Italian)...

I can’t help but ask! What was the name of the restaurant and would you recommend for someone with Celiac Disease? Taking a Disney Med Cruise next summer and trying to plan for my daughter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter