avondale training journal, starting Dec. 2018 (comments welcome)

Great job!

I feel like I’d say something rude in response to “what’s a couple extra miles in a 50K?” 😆😆

Congratulations!! Way to finish despite rough conditions and a cold!
Thank you! Unfortunately I just had low energy from the start.
Wow! That’s amazing! Way to go!
Thank you!
Congrats! Sounds like rough conditions and it’s so impressive you pushed hourself to finish.
Thanks so much!
Freaking amazing! Great job.
Many thanks!
Great job!

I feel like I’d say something rude in response to “what’s a couple extra miles in a 50K?” 😆😆
Thanks! Yes, I swallowed my first response to the extra couple miles comment and said, "It's my first 50k, so it's a big thing for me!"
Awesome! Congratulation!
Thank you!
Amazing! Way to persevere physically and mentally, huge congrats!
Thanks a bunch!

My official time was 8:59:32. Because there was such a small field, I think I got my best finish ever: 20th place! LOL I was 10th out of 11 women. I was first in my age group because the other woman in her 50s finished last and was more than an hour behind me. The male winner finished in 5:00:18 and female 5:49:20 - they were both in their 20s. The woman I chatted with who said she's usually last finished 15th at about 7:52, so good for her.
Great job (again)—it’s always my goal to just not be last in any category

Congrats!!! Impressive run in sucky conditions!👏👏👏 BTW, I'm stealing the Teddy Grahams for fuel! :)

Awesome! Way to go!
Thank you very much! I've been thinking about how much ultra training breaks your training rules. LOL
Great race. Congrats!
Thanks!
Congratulations!! You really showed grit to finish in those conditions. 👏
Thanks so much!
Congrats!!! Impressive run in sucky conditions!👏👏👏 BTW, I'm stealing the Teddy Grahams for fuel! :)
Thank you! Yeah, Teddy Grahams are already in small pieces but not too crumbly, so they can work well.

I've been thinking about how much ultra training breaks your training rules. LOL

Which ones? Is it the 3hr long run? Because I’ve relaxed on that one as it’s relative to pace. If you’re willing to go super slow, then you can extend length of duration in a training run. Problem is a lot of people struggle going slow enough on the long run as it is.

Which ones? Is it the 3hr long run? Because I’ve relaxed on that one as it’s relative to pace. If you’re willing to go super slow, then you can extend length of duration in a training run. Problem is a lot of people struggle going slow enough on the long run as it is.
3 hr long run, yes.

Also, the long run being no more than X percentage of your weekly mileage - I don't remember the recommended percentage.

Those might be it. But from what I have been reading about trail running extending into ultra running, the rules need to be broken more. Although ideally I would have been able to spend more time during the week on runs - that is, do some that were longer than 60 min. But life makes that hard.

Week of Jan. 7 - 14, 2023

This is my first of two weeks off from running after the Harbison 50k. I was so much more wiped out after this race than I think I have ever been from any previous race. I'm sure the cold that I had contributed to that. I didn't sleep through most of the night until Tuesday night after the race, but fortunately that improved pretty rapidly from there. Because I was just so exhausted, I emphasized getting sleep more than trying to get back into my strength workouts.

Sunday afternoon: walk on treadmill
  • time: 1:26:45
  • distance: 3.23 mi
  • ave pace: 26:51
Monday
  • Before breakfast: foam rolling and stretching - used my old softer roller instead of the rumble roller
  • After work: walk on treadmill
    • time: 1:25:14
    • distance: 4.0 mi
    • ave pace: 21:18
Tuesday after work: walk on treadmill
  • time: 1:25:18
  • distance; 4.17 mi
  • ave pace: 20:27
Wednesday
  • Before breakfast: foam rolling and stretching
  • In evening walk on treadmill
    • time: 42:38
    • distance: 2.21 mi
    • ave pace: 19:17
    • comments: I was supposed to be playing tennis, but one of our group dropped out at the last minute, so I did this walk to get to my 10,000 steps.
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: core workout
    • 60-sec plank
    • 20 starfish
    • 20 dead bug
    • 20 bird dogs
    • 20 each side flutter kicks
    • 20 bicycle crunch with hold
    • 5 10-sec hollow-body holds
    • 2 30-sec side planks
    • 20 double leg lift/lowers
  • After work: walk on treadmill
    • time: 1:32:40
    • distance: 4.8 mi
    • ave pace: 19:18
Friday
  • Before breakfast: Workout 1
    • 3 x 5 suitcase squats with 50 lb + 20-lb vest
    • superset:
      • 3 x 5 lat pull-downs with 49-lb bands
      • 3 x 5 bench presses with 50 lb
    • 3 x 5 Romanian deadlifts with 50 lb
    • superset:
      • 3 x 5 shoulder presses with 20 lb per arm
      • 3 x 5 pull-aparts with 13-lb band
  • After dinner: walk on treadmill
    • time: 1:03:24
    • distance: 3.16 mi
    • ave pace: 20:04
    • comments: 0 to 4% incline
Saturday
  • Before lunch walk outside
    • time: 36:30
    • distance: 1.72 mi
    • ave pace: 21:16
  • Before dinner: walk on treadmill
    • time: 1:26:44
    • distance: 4.33 mi
    • ave pace: 20:02
    • comments: 0 to 7% incline
Sunday before dinner: walk on treadmill
  • time: 1:27:41
  • distance: 4.39 mi
  • ave pace: 19:58
  • comments: 0 to 7.5% incline

Health

It's really taken me awhile to kick this cold. I probably stretched it out by doing the race in the middle of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter