[B]Which Time is best to arrive at the Port and Why?[/B]

jgalecpa

<font color=green>DANG, that is one big fish!</fon
I am debating on whether to arrive around 1030, as soon as the port opens, or around 12 - 1230, shortly after the ship starts boarding (correct me if any times are wrong).

We are spending the night before in Melbourne with in-laws, so travel time is easy to the port.

Pros and cons seem to be:

Arrive Early

Pros:

Early in line, good shot at preferred Palo Ressies

Con:

Early out adds to stress; Forcing sullen teens to wait around for over an hour.

Arrive Later
Pros:
More leisurely morning before departure, less wait to get on ship

Con

Possible missed palo, Longer lines? My Internal clock screaming Get there, get there, GET THERE...

Any thoughts on either theory.

Thanks

What

I would opt for getting there early. Not only do you get on the ship sooner for reservations, etc., but you then have more time to enjoy the ship, eat lunch, swim, hot tub, watch college football at ESPN bar (limited time only) or (my favorite) sit on deck with a beer and a book.

Teens being teens, won't they be sullen regardless of which option you choose?

Lloyd,

True on both counts.

I believe when kids have very little to worry about, they worry about what is very little.

Jim

I agree with the other posters. We had waited a year for our Eastern cruise, and I wanted to start enjoying it as soon as possible.

I think we were the 20th family in line (we were on the 2nd bus out to the port). However, our wait went by quickly. By the time you meet other families in line (we met Dissers in line also!), checked out the model, watched them load luggage onto the ship and ate a snack it was time to board.

JGALECPA: I have never heard that put quite so simply and truthfully. Very well said. Mind if I copy that down as a reminder of the important things in life?

Part of my "master plan" last year was to sleep in, (at the Radisson) eat a late breakfast, then take the kids swimming in the pool. Get to the port at 1pm so we could just walk on the ship. However the kids had other ideas. As soon as they opened their eyes, they wanted to go to the port!We got there at 10:30 and they waited on line while I checked in. We were first in line! The time pasted very quickly!

Katz99:

Be my guest.

30 years ago my family was a bunch of refugees from Ireland. My younger brother and I slept on the floor for years, until older kids moved away and bed space opened up. I remember once we ate lettuce soup, which was water, lettuce and salt.

My kids live in a very nice house, we have a beach house, and travel extensively.

They don't even know they don't have any worries.....

We arrived at about 1pm....walked right on the ship. There were very little lines. I would do that again. We weren't rushed in the morning. But then again, Palo and spa reservations were not on our plans...... To us, it was just nice to relax and go at our own pace. I will say though, we did make it to the lunch buffet after we checked out our wonderful room, but had to make sure we got there before it ended. That was a little rushed. Then it was off to the kids club. After all that, we could really relax and enjoy!!

What time does the lunch buffet end? We have always gotten to the terminal by 10:30-11 but this time thinking of showing up around 12:30 and just walking on. Figure we'll still have time to do our Reservations since they don't start that til 1:00 or 1:30pm. We fly in from the West Coast late the night before so thought this would be easier and less stressful to arrive later.

I'm not positive, but I think the lunch buffet stays open until 3:30, when all the ship's services shut down so people will go to the lifeboat muster drill. If you arrived at 12:30, it would still be open. I've been there past 1:00pm on a few occasions.

Also, I believe that they now start taking reservations as soon as boarding begins. Someone who's cruised more recently can probably clarify. That might be something to consider when deciding when to arrive at the port, although on a 7-day, it's not as urgent to get there right away, as there are more spots but the same number of passengers.

I have been planning this vacation for a year!! I am so excited and these boards are mostly to blame for my excitment :) . So with that said, We are staying at the Radisson Friday night....I am getting up as soon as possible and getting to the port. I don't care how long I have to stand there......just being close to the terminal with be wonderful for me!

Hope

Originally posted by tezb
What time does the lunch buffet end? We have always gotten to the terminal by 10:30-11 but this time thinking of showing up around 12:30 and just walking on. Figure we'll still have time to do our Reservations since they don't start that til 1:00 or 1:30pm. We fly in from the West Coast late the night before so thought this would be easier and less stressful to arrive later.
Although all the Navigator's I have seen say that the ressies start about 1 to 1:30, I even saw one that said 2:00 when I was researching in February. When they started boarding our cruise in March at about 12:15, 12:30, the ressies were already open by 12:30. The line was pretty long so if you truly want Palo or Spa ressies, I would try to be there sooner.

RellingTwin,

You indicated that the children stood in line while you checked in. Did Disney not require the children's presence at checkin? We will have their passports.

Thanks.

I think that we will always try to get to the port by 11am for any future cruises. Yes you have to get up and going earlier in the morning. You don't need a large breakfast because there's plenty of food at the buffet and plutos etc once you board. The earlier you are on the more likely you can make any ressies you want at Palo, Spa, Wine Tasting tour, checking kids into the clubs before there are much longer lines to deal with. It just gives you more time later on. The stress level waiting in line to get on the ship is minimal, the stress level waiting for the ressies is much higher and taking the time waiting in line and filling out the forms for the kids is even more so. You will find your time on the ship is precious - so you don't want to be waiting in line for something, waiting on shore is not so bad. The overall wait time may be the same, it's mostly about where you are waiting! It's kinda like going to the theme parks - you can wait for 45 minutes outside of the park wait for it to open and hit many rides in the first 3 hours, or you can come later and spend that much time waiting for one ride - you get to pick where and when you want to stand in line.

We started boarding a few minutes before 12 for our 7 night June cruise. For Palo you goto Rockin' Bar D and get a number. Then they call your number and you sign up for your dinner in Palo. If you are doing brunch only you don't need a number. Just be sure to check in with the Palo people when you get there. Can't speack about the Spa, didn't go their.

This system seems to be working pretty well. Hopefully they won't change it.

embarkation day is a great time to hit the pools. My son's comment was that the Goofy pool was actually clean when he went in it on embarkation day. (Goofy pool starts off every day clean, but the water is pretty green come afternoon). If you arrive later, swimming/hot tubbing really isn't an option until after the safety drill. If its not raining then there is the sail away party on top of the pool so you can't use it then either.

I was surprised that the embarkation process didn't move quicker since you go through security BEFORE entering the terminal. I guess with all of the embarkation picture and the announcements of your families name and Mickey and crew applauding you it still takes some time to get onboard. But it really does move at a good pace.

Thanks jrabbit.

Good post.

I agree with all your comments.

I'll be there about 1030, with bells on (It is a Xmas cruise.....)

Originally posted by PiperG
I agree with the other posters. We had waited a year for our Eastern cruise, and I wanted to start enjoying it as soon as possible.

I think we were the 20th family in line (we were on the 2nd bus out to the port). However, our wait went by quickly.

Did I see that you were at the Poly before this trip, or was that another. We're staying at the Poly before the cruise and I wondered how quickly we'll get there on the bus. I can't wait!!! Disregard the CRB on the countdown... we upgraded!

Nancy

The kids don't need to stand in line at check-in - they can wait in the boarding line (we bring a deck of cards for them or let them watch a dvd on the laptop). The adults, however, need to be seen - with I.D./birth certificates/passports - by the check-in personnel. We always get their early just because we can't wait to get there. We tried this last cruise to be more patient, but we were at the terminal early, yet again!!!

Originally posted by snowiit
Did I see that you were at the Poly before this trip, or was that another. We're staying at the Poly before the cruise and I wondered how quickly we'll get there on the bus. I can't wait!!! Disregard the CRB on the countdown... we upgraded!

Nancy

Yes! We did a "Land and Sea" in '01 and stayed at the Poly. We loved the Poly so much that we are staying there again during our next Land and Sea in Feb!

We didn't rush out the door to get to the port on Thursday morning. We had a leasurely breakfast, watched the ducks in the quiet pool etc. . .Then we took a bus to the AK. We didn't have much time there at all, but wanted to see it. Are lives are pretty hectic here at home, so we wanted that last morning at the hotel to be easygoing.

We used Disney Transfers to get around, and I don't remember if there was an option to go straight to the port from the Poly at an earlier time. However, I do remember that we walked right on the ship when we got to the port at (?) 2:30 or so. We are thinking about going that route again, especially since we know the ship so well at this point, and don't have plans to do Palo.

Good morning, Jim.

I'll be there about 1030, with bells on (It is a Xmas cruise.....)

No reason for the bells is necessary as I'm not homophobic...

(Yes, I'm back - lol.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter