[B]WL---Is the transportation really that bad!!![/B]

barefootMom

Mouseketeer
Can someone tell me why so many people seem to love the WL if the transportation is as horrible as I keep reading? I have booked for next Dec. and am just now reading complaint after complaint about the transportation. I love the Poly but wanted to save a few $$ if possible...someone assure me it's not that bad if we don't rent a car!!!

I didn't find the transportation to be bad at all. Of course, our luck being the way it is, there were a few times that we got to the bus stop just as the bus we wanted was pulling away. In those cases we waited no more than 15 minutes for another bus to come. Some of the parks took longer to get to than others... the bus to MK took less than 10 minutes w/ a stop at the Grand Floridian and the bus to MGM took a lot longer because MGM is a lot further away from WL. But we were on vacation and just went with the flow.

:flower:

We were there last Nov and never had any problems. Granted it was not a busy time. But we never had long waits.

We were there in Dec '04 and didn't have any probs with transpo. I actually thought it was wonderful. Never waited more than 10-15 mins for a bus and the wait for the boat to MK was just as short. I had read a lot of compls previous to our trip too and was a little concerned, but I just guess that there are some people who will complain about anything.

We didn't have a car and stayed at the WL last Dec. Overall, the transportation was fine-there was one instance when we were pretty frustrated (we waited for the first bus to Animal Kingdom for 45+ mins. along with a group of people-some of whom had dining ressies they missed). We could always get on a boat or bus-never had to wait because one was full.
We loved the WL so much that we booked there again for next Dec. too!! :cool1:

Our family has stayed at WL 3 times and never had a problem with the transportation there. We enjoy taking the boat to MK -- we always seem to arrive just as the boat is docking. Same for the buses -- at the resort our waits have always been well under 5 mins.

We've felt that returning from the parks we've had some long waits... but then it may be partially due to being tired and having sore feet. ;)

can i add on some questions - we're staying at WLV this trip.

is the bus or boat faster to the MK?

we'll have a car, is it faster for us to take the car or disney transport to the other parks?

TIA

I think the transportation is pretty good however, if you are a "commando" you may think it stinks. We have stayed at the WL 5 times and never really had a problem however we will take a cab if we have an ADR and time is tight (Boardwalk or DTD).
As someone else stated when our family is at Disney we go with the flow. I think the best thing to do is expect that you will wait 10-15 minutes and when you don't, its a bonus. If you let the transportation bother you it may ruin your vacation.
As far as bus vs. boat to the MK. I have heard the bus is direct and gets you there in 5 minutes. I can't confirm because both of my DDs are fans of the boatride.
Just keep in mind it will take you longer than the monorail and you should be fine.

Cheers,

Schuey

thanks everyone---maybe those who found it terrible were used to a monorail resort?? are there actual times listed for bus departure and boats or do you just go out and wait for one to show up? anyone been there in Dec.? how cold was it? does the resort do anything special?

We were there the first week in Oct and had virtually no problems with transportation. Our wait was never more than 10min to get to the parks - up to 15 min to come back. The longest wait was for a Typhoon Lagoon bus and it probably only seemed long since we saw 2 AK, 2 MGM and 2 Epcot buses come by while we were waiting but it still was less than 10min wait. The ride to TL and DTD takes a while but that has nothing to do with efficiency, just that it is on the other end of property.

There are no listed departure times for buses or boats. Generally they run every 20 min so just head to the bus stop or dock and wait for one, but I seem to find they run more frequently. Anytime we were at the bus stop in the morning there was a guy with a walkie talkie and clipboard recording when buses were coming in (or something like that).

Never had any problem with transportation at Wilderness. At any resort, you will have times when you end up waiting longer than you'd like, but WL is certainly no worse than any other, and definitely better than YC/BC or BW, where 4 deluxe resorts share 1 bus route.

When did they start having a bus from WL to MK? I've never seen that. Why wouldn't you take the boat?

We stayed at WL at the end of July/beginning of August. We found the waits for both boats and buses to be longer than at any other place we have stayed (which includes all but Ft. Wilderness).

Tammi67 said:
We were there in Dec '04 and didn't have any probs with transpo. I actually thought it was wonderful. Never waited more than 10-15 mins for a bus and the wait for the boat to MK was just as short. I had read a lot of compls previous to our trip too and was a little concerned, but I just guess that there are some people who will complain about anything.

Well I am one of those that complained and I think you are rude to assume that I would complain about anything. Sorry but buses never showed up when we stayed at the WL. Never showed! We waited over and hour and a half before giving up and calling a cab. The boats were just as bad. Gee, I guess I just want to nitpick. :rolleyes: I've been to WDW many, many times and never once had a complaint about anything! I was never one to whine if the view wasn't good enough or hint for an upgrade. Nothing. Yet, for some strange reason I expect a bus to show up when I'm told one is on it's way. Silly me for thinking such thoughts. I guess I'll just have to find something else to complain about. :rolleyes:

Edited to add that I am not a commando. I don't care when I get to the park as long as I get there. LOL!

We were there in August and there was a bus to MK - took less than 10 min and it was great. We took the boat when we wanted to relax. It does take longer, but is a nice peaceful ride. We thought it was a bummer that all of the buses except the one to MK shared with another resort (usually FW, but sometimes it was GF). It did take longer than if the bus went straight to the destination, but there were always seats available on the bus, and I did not think it was awful to share the bus with another resort. Much better than staying at a resort where the bus was always packed. Last year we stayed at CBR, and the bus makes stops at each village and that took a long time too. We had a rental car last year and drove a lot. This year we really enjoyed riding the bus, and did not really miss the car at all, except getting to Downtown Disney.

I found the bus transportation at WL wonderful! Especially going to MK! It is so fast and never crowded! Most folks prefer to take the boat.. but my children and I prefer the bus.

We much prefered the transportation at WL than CR. We find the monorail highly over-rated. Sure, it's "cool", but it is slow. We were always "stalled" in between stations during our trips. One time for 10 minutes (I timed it.)

barefootMom said:
Can someone tell me why so many people seem to love the WL if the transportation is as horrible as I keep reading? I have booked for next Dec. and am just now reading complaint after complaint about the transportation. I love the Poly but wanted to save a few $$ if possible...someone assure me it's not that bad if we don't rent a car!!!

We have stayed at the WL multiple times now (love it!) and have never had a problem with the transportation! I would stay there again in a HEARTBEAT!

We were there the end of August and never had a problem. I don't remember waiting more than ten minutes for any bus or boat. The bus to the MK is a little faster, but as others have said the boat ride can be relaxing. ( I prefer the boat )

We have stayed at both WL and Ft Wilderness (they share transportation so it is very similar) and never had a problem with either and that includes a Christmas week stay. We very seldom waited for 10 minutes for a bus. I can think of one time we waited more than 10-15 min for a bus at the resort and that was a situation where we walked up as one was pulling away. We did wait for about a half hour for a bus back to WL from Epcot at park closing one night but that was our choice. We could have gotten on one sooner but it was jam packed and we had 2 kids and double stroller so we elected to wait untill the next bus came and get on that one.

We loved the boats too. :) If we were waiting for a boat to the MK and a boat to the CR came first (without a MK boat in sight) we would hop on that one and walk from the CR to the MK. We were usually going through security when people who were waiting for the MK boat were just getting off the boat so we beat them by just a bit.

I had no complaints about transportation at either place and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We had cars with us both times and didn't chose to use them at all. We were pleased with the transportation and enjoyed not having to drive anywhere! :)

barefootMom,

Don't worry. From what everyone has told me the transportation at WL is just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter