[B]WL---Is the transportation really that bad!!![/B]

I think the people who have a problem with the buses are the ones who think a bus should be waiting for them and leave as soon as they get on. They are not cabs and you have to be somewhat understanding of the fact that they are moving thousands of people every minute of the day. In 10 trips I've found they only time they are bad is if you try and leave when the park closes. Better to just hang around the park for 20 minutes or so and have an ice cream then it is to try and be the first one on the bus.

I am once again thrilled to be going to WL and will just assume that Disney wouldn't let things get too bad especially at a Deluxe...to not have to worry about a car will be nice so I will just go with the flow!

skiwee1 said:
Well I am one of those that complained and I think you are rude to assume that I would complain about anything. Sorry but buses never showed up when we stayed at the WL. Never showed! We waited over and hour and a half before giving up and calling a cab. The boats were just as bad. Gee, I guess I just want to nitpick. :rolleyes: I've been to WDW many, many times and never once had a complaint about anything! I was never one to whine if the view wasn't good enough or hint for an upgrade. Nothing. Yet, for some strange reason I expect a bus to show up when I'm told one is on it's way. Silly me for thinking such thoughts. I guess I'll just have to find something else to complain about. :rolleyes:

Edited to add that I am not a commando. I don't care when I get to the park as long as I get there. LOL!

That is pretty bad skiwee. Can you tell us when you were there? And the 1 1/2 hr wait - did it just happen once, or did you experience 20+min. waits often? We have stayed at AKL, Poly and POR and generally had very good luck with all modes of transportation, however I would agree that a bus just not coming would not be acceptable. We experienced a similar situation coming back from DTD at about 1:30am - way too few buses and way too many drunk people!! But - that is what it is like in my city's club district (but not with busses, with cabs) so I was expecting it.

We are planning on staying at WL and I think having 2 options (bus and boat) for the cost of WL is a bonus. So, fingers crossed that our transportation 'luck' will continue.

DutchsMommy said:
That is pretty bad skiwee. Can you tell us when you were there? And the 1 1/2 hr wait - did it just happen once, or did you experience 20+min. waits often? We have stayed at AKL, Poly and POR and generally had very good luck with all modes of transportation, however I would agree that a bus just not coming would not be acceptable. We experienced a similar situation coming back from DTD at about 1:30am - way too few buses and way too many drunk people!! But - that is what it is like in my city's club district (but not with busses, with cabs) so I was expecting it.

We are planning on staying at WL and I think having 2 options (bus and boat) for the cost of WL is a bonus. So, fingers crossed that our transportation 'luck' will continue.

This was way back in May of 2003 I believe. The bus problem happened 3 times where no bus ever showed. What I mean by no bus is we were waiting for an MGM bus. It never came. Back then they had phones at the bus stop for you to call if you needed a bus. I called only to be told over and over again that one was on it's way. It never came after 1 1/2 hours. Another time it was going to Epcot. That happened twice going to Epcot. We only waited 1 hour then before giving up. Just wasn't worth standing there that long. The boats were just as bad. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get back from MK at closing by boat. Back then they didn't have a bus that went to MK and back so a boat was the only option. We also didn't like that every bus went to Ft. Wilderness before going on to our destination. It wasn't just before a certain time either. It was all day. I actually complained to the manager only to be told that I was one of many that were not happy with the transportation. I had thought it might have changed since then but after the little fiasco two weeks ago I see it hasn't.

The transportation is fine most of the time, we just came back last week. We wound up taking a cab 3 times for time reasons and it was worth the cost, $8 comming back from Epcot, and I think $14. to Ak, it was worth it to us because I had to be there at certain times. Also had to take one from the cont. after the fireworks at C>Grill because the boats only run until 10pm, I think that was $4. Remember that the boats are shared with FW, In the moring until 3pm the boats go MK to FW to WL and back to MK. After three they go MK to WL to FW then back to MK. Plan to know because the trip over to FW first adds on 15/20 min. Also one day we were in a rush and the bus said EPCOT we hopped on and were told we had to go to FW first! We should have just taken a cab since we were running late. Leave pleanty of time to get where you have to and keep in mind you can always taxi if you have need to. Have fun!!! :teeth:

We stayed at WL in October, and I found the buses to be rather slow a few times. We had to stop at the GF on the way to AK, and FW for another park. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that the waits were on average 20 minutes for a bus and the bus rides were long too with the stops at the other resorts.
I was expecting better bus service for a deluxe hotel. We have stayed at SSR, and the BWV, and never had such waits. I'd say that the wait on the WL bus was similar to the POFQ and the FWC but you expect a little less when you stay at a moderate.
Of course it was only a slight incovenience, and some bus waits and rides were fast. It may have been just bad luck on our behalf, but to hear others with the same story makes me believe there is a bit of an issue.
Ah well, we are thankful for such a beautiful hotel as the WL, and the bus service is an added amenity that we should be thankful for, relax and enjoy the journey. :flower:

We have never had a problem with transportation at the WL. The buses were always on time and it never took long to get to the parks. As someone who used to stay at the Poly and was used to the monorail, I still can't complain about the WL. This hotel has it all. I never thought I would choose to stay anywhere but the Poly, but now I don't want to stay anywhere but the WL! Please don't get discouraged. You will love the WL!!!!!

skiwee1 said:
This was way back in May of 2003 I believe.

Yes, I remember reading quite a lot of complaints about WL bus service on this thread and the transportation board in 2003.

We (myself, wife, and son who was 3 months old at the time) stayed at the WL in June this past summer. We found the transportation to be pretty good and would definately not consider it an issue at all. It is fair to say it is less convienient to the MK than the Monorail resorts (this was our first stay anywhere other than the Polynesian) but more than acceptable for us. We used the boats almost exclusively (found those easier with a stroller than the busses) and while a bit slow at times the views were always great and the cast members friendly. Have a wonderful trip! :earsboy:

Can you bring a stroller onto the boat without folding it up? that was nice on the monorail that you could leave the child in the stroller. Obviously on the bus we would have to fold up. Am I right in understanding there is now a DIRECT bus to the MK?

I waited 20 minutes for a MK bus the other day and when I got there - there was already a pretty long line (indicating - it had been a while since one had come) There was a man working around the bus stop and told us he had not seen one in about 1/2 hour -when the trip to MK is so short that did seem a bit ridiculous to me

what bothered me most about WL was that I could not get to any parks without folding up my stroller - one boat you don't have to - but it never seemed to be the one at the dock when we were ready to go - but that is based on the ages of my kids not a problem with the transportation so to speak! I know this is the case at a lot of resorts - I guess I am spoiled by the Boardwalk and short walks to Epcot and MGM

I thought the WL seemed a bit out of the way for me - but that is totally personal preference - I really prefer to be in the hustle and bustle of Boardwalk but my MIL loves a slower pace and WL is her favorite

skiwee1 said:
Well I am one of those that complained and I think you are rude to assume that I would complain about anything. Sorry but buses never showed up when we stayed at the WL. Never showed! We waited over and hour and a half before giving up and calling a cab. The boats were just as bad. Gee, I guess I just want to nitpick. :rolleyes: I've been to WDW many, many times and never once had a complaint about anything! I was never one to whine if the view wasn't good enough or hint for an upgrade. Nothing. Yet, for some strange reason I expect a bus to show up when I'm told one is on it's way. Silly me for thinking such thoughts. I guess I'll just have to find something else to complain about. :rolleyes:

Edited to add that I am not a commando. I don't care when I get to the park as long as I get there. LOL!
I don't think I mentioned you personally. My post referred to "some" people, not skiwee1. If I had been in your position I would have complained as well. Yes, there are people who have legitimate complaints and then there are others who believe that if there is not a bus waiting and available the minute they want one, their whole trip is turned upside down and Disney gets an earful.

We had minimal problems with Transportation at WL, on our first night we had ADR's at CM and we were a little late. We also had problems with getting a bus to DTD. We had our van so the second time, we drove to DTD.

We were at WL the first week of October and had minimal wait times for the buses. I think the longest we waited was 10-15 minutes. We took the bus to and from MK and again never had much of a wait. If the wait was a little longer we ended up just talking to the folks in line with us!

Yes you can bring a stroller onto the boat - for the large boat that goes to the MK you do not need to fold it up - for the small boat that goes to the CR you will need to.

:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter