• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baby naming pressures... Updated with PIC: post #71

He's a cutie! And I love the name Harrison! I didn't read the original thread but I went through the same delimma when naming our son. I caved because I felt it was really important to my husband. He got to pick the name that one time and I picked for the other 3 kids, so I guess a fair trade. We now have an Albert but I made every person we've ever met pinky swear that they'll never ever call him that. He goes by A.J.

Beautiful baby!

We have a name on the female side of my family that has been passed down through several generations. It is my mom's middle name, my grandmother's first name, my middle name and my oldest daughter's middle name, plus there are many great grandmothers with that name. It is not my favorite name ever and is in fact pretty ordinary but my daughter who is currently 18 says she plans to use it as a middle name if she ever has a daughter. Family traditions are meaningful. :thumbsup2

:welcome: to our wonderful world baby Harrison! You are so adorable and I know you bring your family much love and joy! :cloud9:

If you raise your chil to know that this is a longstanding tradition, that it is an honor to continue this tradition, I doubt he will be angry. Perhaps annoyed at times but most likely proud during elementary year, annoyed during middle school years and fine once he gets to high school.

How might he feel if you break tradition with him? That could possibly be upsetting. He might want to be a part of that tradition. It's all in how you present it to him-do it proudly and I doubt you will have a problem.

I actually like BOTH of those names...Hank Harrison. I do like Harrison better but Hank isn't a bad name either. CONGRATS! And he is a handsome little guy!

I actually like BOTH of those names...Hank Harrison. I do like Harrison better but Hank isn't a bad name either. CONGRATS! And he is a handsome little guy!

Thanks! Hank isn't the actual name, I didn't include the real name because it's pretty unique and I wanted to maintain some semblance of anonymity (...while I post pictures of my kid on a public forum, lol)

Your baby is adorable.:goodvibes

Our oldest child is called by his middle name. He is not the 8th in the family, but the 22nd! It meant a lot to my dh to use the name. Ds loves the middle name, the full name- not so much.

Now that ds is a teenager, driving, taking the SAT, the real first name has to be used. It's a bit of a hassle for ds but he is getting accustomed to it. I have told him that he can change his name when he's 18.

My advice is to put all official records such as school, doctor, and even frequent flyer accounts in your child's full name. It will save you the hassle of switching everything when he's older.

One last point, we have a second ds. When he was born, I worried that he would feel cheated because he didn't get the family name as the second born. It turns out that he loves not having his brother's hassle of using the middle name. The first born is jealous that second born uses first name, last name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter