• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from Disneyworld and used the MYW dining Plan, had some problems

cjsmith said:
Hey my kids have always loved salad and believe it or not that's what they've always ordered for an appy and still do!

That's great! I have 2 who love salads and 2 who look at them as something you need to choke down to qualify for dessert. :teeth: They would certainly not order one in a restaurant. I'm glad to see that some WDW restaurants are also adding fruit and cheese plates, carrot sticks and dip, soup and other choices besides just a salad for the kids.

klh999 said:
P.S. When we go out with my nephews they always order an app. The meal plan said it included an app for children. Then they should be able to get an APP. Period.

They can get an appetizer if you pay for it.

When we did the dining plan in June, I thought it was very clear. Kids age 3-9 must order from the children's menu where available. Some of the children's menus had appetizers and some didn't. Plain and simple.

I guess I just don't get why this is such a difficult thing to grasp (not directing this to you, but in general). I can't believe all the posts here and all over the board about how complicated and confusing the dining plan, when it isn't at all!

Marseeya said:
They can get an appetizer if you pay for it.

When we did the dining plan in June, I thought it was very clear. Kids age 3-9 must order from the children's menu where available. Some of the children's menus had appetizers and some didn't. Plain and simple.

I guess I just don't get why this is such a difficult thing to grasp (not directing this to you, but in general). I can't believe all the posts here and all over the board about how complicated and confusing the dining plan, when it isn't at all!

Trying to fend off another barage of sour posts here:

Many of us thought it was just as clear when it stated that each person gets a table service meal and each table service meal includes 1. Appetizer, 1 Entree.......yadda yadda yadda. It's just two different ways of reading the same thing. Some focused on the part you mentioned, some focused on what I just stated. Neither is "wrong" and those who honestly thought a child size app was included are not greedy. Disney has realized the confusion and will respond to clarify for anyone who emails them.

crazymomof4 said:
Trying to fend off another barage of sour posts here:

Many of us thought it was just as clear when it stated that each person gets a table service meal and each table service meal includes 1. Appetizer, 1 Entree.......yadda yadda yadda. It's just two different ways of reading the same thing. Some focused on the part you mentioned, some focused on what I just stated. Neither is "wrong" and those who honestly thought a child size app was included are not greedy. Disney has realized the confusion and will respond to clarify for anyone who emails them.

I'm not saying anybody's being greedy by any means, but I believe that in general on the boards some people are making it all too complicated and are worrying unnecessarily.

:flower: I did the dining plan and had no problems. I got everything I wanted. I did get the sampler at Canada. Some places even let us had a drink, a smoothie and a dessert. I think it was fantastic. We always had great service too. I would do it again in a minute. :sunny: :maleficen

Marseeya said:
I'm not saying anybody's being greedy by any means, but I believe that in general on the boards some people are making it all too complicated and are worrying unnecessarily.

I agree. It REALLY is pretty simple.

People keep going on and on about 'Ohana in particular...'Ohana isn't one of the "1 entree, 1 app, 1 dessert" TS's, it falls under the "1 complete buffet/family style meal". The dessert at 'Ohana is the pineapple thing...this is INCLUDED in the "1 complete buffet/family style" meal. They ALSO have additional desserts available, but are not included in the meal for ANYONE.

Oh well, I'm going to enjoy it - especially since it's FREE. If I have any problems, I'll simply speak to a manager as usual. No big whoop.

N.E.D.

NewEnglandDisney said:
Oh well, I'm going to enjoy it - especially since it's FREE. If I have any problems, I'll simply speak to a manager as usual. No big whoop.

N.E.D.

I'm not really "worrying" about it. I just like my vacations to go as smoothly as possible and anything that I can do ahead of time to ensure that, I do. That is why I'm on the DIS so much! :)

So, in an effort to try to avoid the whole "speak to a manager" thing, I wanted to get it straight before we go. Overall, I'm pleased with the new clarity that has been given right from Disney.....not just hearsay or the interpretation of any single restaurant CM. So I'm more confident that I won't have a problem while we are in WDW.

klh999 said:
I am tired of people with negative posts, critizing those who are asking questions about the changes in the meal plan. If they offered a room discount, and the bathroom was closed would that by okay to you, because you got the room at a discount?? I expect to get what I paid for, I am entitled to it. I have never asked for anything more than what disney promised. I dont want to use child credits for adults. But yes, I want to maximize the meal plan for its value.

I don't mean to stoop to this level but I am tired of people critizing other people. We are on a budget and I don't want to be surprised when I made a reservation and for instance, can't pool credits. To be honet, we probably wouldn't have decided to go to disney, had that been the case. My sister will be using many of the table service credits while we will be using the counter service credits. It doesnt make sense for her to use all of those table service credits.

P.S. When we go out with my nephews they always order an app. The meal plan said it included an app for children. Then they should be able to get an APP. Period.

I've read that most restaurants are putting appetizers for kids on the kids menu, like salads, fruit and cheese. Why don't you try to take your nephews to these restuarants? :)

I can understand Disney not letting children order adult appetizers, but they should really offer a child appetizer (or 2) at every sit down restaurant.

The brochure said kids were limited to what's on the child's menu. Never promised adult appetizers for kids. I've never heard of a child's mac cheese dinner coming with an appetizer. The question is moot, most of the restaurants have added a kids appetizer and children who like adult type meals would do better at a buffet like Boma.

I wouldn't worry about pooling "adult" credits but many of us think Disney will be closing the "loophole" of allowing credits that were charged child pricing to be used to purchase adult meals. I understand some people may have planned on exploiting this "loophole" but I don't think they should be shocked or devastated if this "loophole" gets closed before their trip.

I understand guests who were planning on doing this, the brochure allows for it, but loopholes like this don't last forever.

klh999 said:
I am tired of people with negative posts, critizing those who are asking questions about the changes in the meal plan. If they offered a room discount, and the bathroom was closed would that by okay to you, because you got the room at a discount?? I expect to get what I paid for, I am entitled to it. I have never asked for anything more than what disney promised. I dont want to use child credits for adults. But yes, I want to maximize the meal plan for its value.

I don't mean to stoop to this level but I am tired of people critizing other people. We are on a budget and I don't want to be surprised when I made a reservation and for instance, can't pool credits. To be honet, we probably wouldn't have decided to go to disney, had that been the case. My sister will be using many of the table service credits while we will be using the counter service credits. It doesnt make sense for her to use all of those table service credits.

Lewisc said:
The brochure said kids were limited to what's on the child's menu. Never promised adult appetizers for kids. I've never heard of a child's mac cheese dinner coming with an appetizer.

Actually the Disney MYWDining brochure is vague on this. In one paragraph it states that "each person" receives one appetizer, one entree, one dessert and one non alcoholic drink. Below, it specifies that children 3-9 must order from the children's menu where available.

Now, I do consider a child to be a person, and so I would expect that each persn gets some sort of appetizer, main course, dessert and drink. I would expect children to get child sized appetizers or that the chef would halve a full portion to create one. Ditto on desserts. Disney did not say, "each Adult will receive...."

That's my take on it, anyway.

I don't think Disney lists any limitations on which items you can order from the menu as appetizer, entree and dessert. I'll pull it up and see what the 'exceptions' are. If you want the dessert that is designed for two, they can use both your points if there are two of you eating. As for tipping I consider 20% my standard tip, more if the service is very good. I only leave less if the service is terrible. At Garden Grill we waited 20 minutes for a waiter to even come to our table, we still left 20% tip.

I am glad that you enjoyed it, ate so well and saved so much money! Way to go!

Dear DIS Brothers & Sisters-
This may come as a huge shocker to some of you.........But reading these boards as a way of planning your DisneyWorld trip is not the norm!!!! :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek:

Most people who plan a trip to Disney have never even heard of these boards!!!! (gasp- :eek: )

Now while I am forever grateful to have found this ever flowing spring of information and encouragement I would venture to say that "most" people who are visiting DW and using the dining plan would not have access to menus from all the restaurants like we do. ;) I would go a step further and say that if they read the statement about EACH person in the party receiving an appetizer they would actually have the crazy thought that would include their children?????? No doubt I am certain that the majority of people without the help of these boards would read the brochure and assume it to be entirely applicable to every member of their family. :grouphug: AND that if their child should order from a child's menu then certainly that menu would include an appetizer because (as previously stated 487 times) it did say EACH person.

I have already told my daughters (8 & 10) that they can order appetizers because it is a "big girl" thing to get to do that! princess: I mean how often do we go out as a family and say okay, daughter #1 what appetizer do you want? and daughter #2 what for you? Always they must compromise with the family but on this vacation there is an added treat at dinnertime :) . I can see how some would perceive this as greedy but truthfully it is just in the expectations, right?

We all would have still gone with this plan even if it didn't include a child's appetizer BUT don't tell me EACH person if that is not what it means :rolleyes1

Crazymomof4-you are right right right right right about everything you have said! :hug: Don't let the name calling ruffle your feathers.

thanks for the info-I need to read through this thread more so I know if any of this affects my trip. Anyone care to write a brief synopsis? :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter