• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from Disneyworld and used the MYW dining Plan, had some problems

Sorry some had problems I think that the benefits far out way the problems those of you that have had them.

Here is a list of restaurants that have appetizers on the menu

Brown Derby
Soup - Chicken Noodle Soup with Mickey Noodles $2.29
Salad - Mixed greens with tomato, carrots and choice of dressing. French, Ranch, Blue Cheese, Thousand Island. $1.99

Akershus
Cheddar and Muenster cheese wedges,
and carrot sticks served with fruit salad

Rose and Crown
Starter - Cheese, Fruit & Veggie Tasting $2.99

Cinderella Castle dinner
Fruit and Cheese Platter - diced cheddar and mozzarella cheeses with celery and carrots, fresh fruit, and ranch dipping sauce $2.49

Tony's Town Square Appetizer
Fresh Fruit Plate $2.49
Caesar Salad $1.99
Side Salad $1.99

Jiko
Salad Greens - with tomatoes and carrots - $1.75
Mixed Fruit Salad - $1.75
Carrots and Celery Sticks with Peanut Butter - $1.75
Green Peas and Carrots - $1.75

Flying Fish
Romaine Lettuce with little croutons and ranch dressing - $2.75

Spoodles Starters
Cheese Flatbread $5.49
Pepperoni Flatbread $5.49
Mixed Green Salad with Rance Dressing $2.99
Mixed Fruit Salad $2.99

Concourse Steakhouse
Garden Salad with tomatoes and croutons with ranch dressing $2.29
Shrimp Cocktail with Cocktail Sauce $5.99

Citricos APPETIZERS
Romaine - with ranch dressing $1.50
Chicken Noodle Soup - $1.75
Crispy Cheese - $3.50
Veggie Plate - with peanut butter dip $1.50

Grand Floridian Cafe
Grapes & Cheese - $2.50
Chicken Soup - $2.50
Carrots & Dip - $2.50
Jr. Salad - $2.50

Narcoossees
Mickey Macaroni Chicken Soup - $3.00
Caesar Salad - $3.50
Fresh Fruit Cup - $3.25

Yachtsman Steakhouse
Soup of the Day $3.29
Jr. Caesar Salad with romaine lettuce and pumpernickel croutons $3.99

Joan1 said:
I have a question for all of you that are complaining of not being able to get an appetizer off the adult menu if the child menu doesn't have one.

Can you all really eat that much food?
Now we are no 100lb skinny people, we aren't huge either and have hearty appetites but there is no way we would be able to eat that much food, especially in the heat and going on rides

Why is it that you can't be satisfied with ordering two adult appetizers and everyone sharing. If we order an appetizer and an entree we never have room for dessert. If we do order an appetizer we always share it with our two kids and they could never finish their meal after eating the appetizer.

To me it would be a waste of food

For those of you that keep stating about the brochure listings. It clearly states that children age 3-9 must order off the kids menu, if the kids menu doesn't have an appetizer then oh well, they can either have mine or share with us and then they can have the dessert from the kids menu. That is more then enough food for everyone

We choose the restaurants we eat at by the kids menus or buffets like Boma that offer some very nice choices. My kids would rather have regular food then chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. They actually do not like the mac and cheese at Disney. I think they don't like the mickey pasta and not the cheese sauce.

I honestly don't think everyone is complaining about not getting the adult appy for their children, I think it was more of what was explained to us.... Before I made the very thought out decision to purchase the dining plan, I called not once but twice and asked CM's to explain the "Dining Plan" in detail to myself... Both CM's did say that if there was not a childs appy available the child could order one off the adults menu.. (I now know that both CM's gave the incorrect info!) Believe me, the whole child appy does not make too much difference to me either way.... But it was the fact that wrong info was being given out... My family only chose 1 TS that was not a buffet and I made all my ressies before I even knew we were not allowed any appy's for the children...
And after reading the dining plan booklet and web page, I do realize that you could take that either way, So I completely understand where people are coming from (I am one of those people)... Thanks to the 2 posters who emailed Disney and asked that specific question...

I do agree with you that there might be a waste of food, my DSx2 probably would not be able to finish everything and I probably would not have ordered it for them in the first place even if it was there for the taking... But maybe some people's children would be able to finish all their TS meal and ordered up the dining plan because it was a great deal for that reason.

I only thought that all CM's should be giving the correct info and that the Dining plan web page and booklets could have been worded differently... That's all....

No matter what, I have stated from the beginning I think the plan is a great deal.

PS... Great job on the menu's and desserts... Do you know if Mama Melrose's has a childrens dessert? :earsboy:

dcgrumpy said:
I'm really curious, for the people complaining about not being able to order an adult appetizer for their children etc...When you normally go out to eat do you really order an appetizer, entree and dessert for everyone in the family. That just seems like way too much food.

If it is our big meal of the day, then yes we usually order appetizers and entrees (frequently the appetizers are salads or one of those massive things designed to feed 4, so we order one for everyone to share). However, we rarely eat dessert at the restaurant. Instead, we will eat dessert a couple hours later somewhere else (like ice cream cones from a cart or whatever). A good green salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and shredded carrots is usually the healthiest thing my 6 year old daughter consumes at a restaurant.

When you look at how many calories there are packed into a whole meal including appetizers, entree, desert and drink, it is no wonder we have the obesity problem we do here in the US. To get all of this food for a child would be ridiculous.

I love the alternative listings, though. No kid should eat nuggets, mac & cheese and pb&j around the clock either.

While I will readily admit that DH and I aren't underweight (we are actually headed of to a health spa for a week starting tomorrow to shed a few pounds), our children don't have even the tiniest bit of extra weight. All three are very active-- biking, walking, swimming, on a daily basis. Sometimes they eat astonishing amounts of food and sometimes they barely nibble. Per pound of body weight, they take in far more calories than adults. I frankly wonder if all the people on these forums that state their kids barely eat are really paying attention- Or if maybe their kids snack a lot and take in the bulk of their calories that way.

The middle child is in the "picky" eating stage, but the other two will try anything and like most things. They eat three full meals a day and a healthy afternoon snack. Usually, it is a very substantial breakfast, a medium sized lunch, an afternoon snack that is slightly less substantial than lunch and a medium sized dinner (at home). On vacation this does get juggled a little bit so that it becomes a light breakfast (cereal and milk, fruit), a midmorning snack, a huge late lunch and a light dinner.

gigi1313 said:
us too! dh usually orders soup... we typically get an appy or two to share along w/a salad (preferably caesar! LOL!) to share as well... and we often order a dessert or two or three... sometimes FOUR! we like our food and we also like variety... we also like restaurants that offer fruit for a dessert (tgif does now and it's made it a fave for us!)

That's my point, people are complaining that they can't order an appetizer, entree and dessert for everyone including children, no sharing. I think parents sharing their 2 appetizers with the kids, plus their own entree and dessert is plenty of food.

I don't think you are really getting the gist of the complaint. People are complaining because they feel like they won't get what they thought they were buying-- an appetizer/dessertfor each. Not that the amount of food will be inadequate.

dcgrumpy said:
I think parents sharing their 2 appetizers with the kids, plus their own entree and dessert is plenty of food.

Absolutely!!!

We have 9 days of TS & will be using them for 9 TS meals. I think we will be stuffed when all is said & ate. ::yes::

Aevalin said:
Just back and not only did we get the Dessert Sampler at Le Cellier, but we also got two servings of the wild mushroom side included -and the waitress knew we were on the dining plan from the get go.

We also added extra tip if the server was good which was I think in all cases -and we made sure to tip on any alcohol etc if the tip wasn't already included (and it was in some restaurants. And 18% instead of 15% on alcohol)

I don't understand why our waiter wouldn't let us have the Dessert Sampler and there was another one we couldn't have off that list. I guess it depends on the waiter or waitress. I wanted to try the sampler because it had different desserts on it and I would like to taste.

As for the childs app. I am not complaining because my kids didn't get it. I was just under the impression that it came with it when I signed up for the plan. My girls are very active and very thin and honestly they eat ALOT. I mean ALOT. At concourse they got the shrimp cocktail, yes my children LOVE SHRIMP, the entree and dessert and finished every last drop of it. So my kids could of ate an appetizer, entree and dessert, but we did share with them when they couldn't get an app. and we could. We also shared with my 2 year old.

I am just saying Disney needs to word it better. Right to the point, so no one will not understand it.

DeirdreTours said:
I don't think you are really getting the gist of the complaint. People are complaining because they feel like they won't get what they thought they were buying-- an appetizer/dessertfor each. Not that the amount of food will be inadequate.

::yes:: ::yes:: EXACTLY.....tired of being made to feel like a greedy overeating complainer. I want to have available to me what the brochure stated. Whether or not I chose to order an app for my 8 yo should be my choice! In a land where the right to choose is often the crux of many issues, I would think that most people would be supportive, not critical.

crazymomof4 said:
::yes:: ::yes:: EXACTLY.....tired of being made to feel like a greedy overeating complainer. I want to have available to me what the brochure stated. Whether or not I chose to order an app for my 8 yo should be my choice! In a land where the right to choose is often the crux of many issues, I would think that most people would be supportive, not critical.

Well the brochure clearly states that kids 3-9 must order off the kids menus. Whatever is included in the kids menu is what they have to choose from

If steak is not on the menu for the kids will you demand that they will be able to order it off of the adult menu?

It is that need to get something for nothing. Pay $10 for $30 of food. Entitlement run amok!

aabinion said:
I got the trio dessert sampler at Le Cellier and we were on the dining plan, but I don't think I mentioned that I was on the plan until the very end. I kept forgetting to mention that even though I was supposed to. Maybe that is why nobody treated me differently. I can't help you with O'hana's because we were so full we didn't ask for a different dessert. I had heard that they were not letting you get another dessert before we left for disney though. I think it depended on the waiter/waitress. I did notice that some included things that others didn't. The waiter at the Brown Derby took the Fantasmic Package out of my Dining Plan creduts after I had heard that they absolutely would not except the dining plan for that. It messed up all my plans but the cm at the Wilderness Lodge corrected it for me. I had intended to pay for that out of pocket.

Did it cause any "problems" when you told them you were on the Dp at the end of your meal?

This is like a political or religious debate. No one is going to convince anyone else of their viewpoint, it's just continual bickering. He said, she said. This CM told me this, well THIS CM told me THIS and that's the opposite of what you said so *I'm* right. :rolleyes:

Um-Do you REALLY think that disney set up to plan to include adult appys for children at $10/day? Or that they intended children's credits to be used for Adult meals? Whether or not you WANT it to mean that doesn't change what it really means.

As for the CM's knowing what their talking about-When I purchased the Plan in May I was told by 3 CM's that my 11yo DD would be charged as a child at $10/day! I even had one CM transfer me to his Supervisor who was annoyed with me and insisting that I was charged $10/day for DD11! :confused3

Well, we all know this was not true, she was charged as an adult @ $35/day just as I knew was so! Most of us are more knowlegable than most CM's!(sad, I know!)

That said-The plan was wonderful! Eventhough we paid $945 for the plan, the value of our meals exceeded $1450! There were no restrictions and a couple of times we got "extras", fancier drinks!

I don't think anyone should be worrying about this plan, purchased or free, it is a wonderful value! If something is not included, just pay OOP! We did this many times with no problem. And we shared our appy's always!

Stop worrying-you WILL love the plan! :flower:

I've been following this thread and I actually agree with both sides of the argument/discussion :teeth: . we are leaving in 3 weeks :cool1: , we will be on the dining plan. my question is this....my son is 14, he's paying ADULT price, since he is still a child per say...are they going to make him order from the childs menu?????? TIA

No-you paid the adult price and he will have the adult choices! My DD11 really enjoyed it! It made her feel more grown up! Sometimes she did order from the kids menu, by choice, we then payed OOP for the kids meal and saved the ADULT cr for a sig resturant. This was before the ages on the kids menus were changed to 3-9 so I don't know if it would work now. :earsboy:

In a land where the right to choose is often the crux of many issues,
Now that is grasping for entitlement.
Land of the free -- free appetizers. :sunny:
No one thinks any guest should not get what they are entitled to.

:smooth: phew :smooth: thats good to know. my son hasnt ordered from a kids menu since he was 8.
:goodvibes thanks for the quick reply :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter