• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from Disneyworld and used the MYW dining Plan, had some problems

meandtheguys2 said:
It is that need to get something for nothing. Pay $10 for $30 of food. Entitlement run amok!

Well, maybe some people want to get something for nothing. I do see threads where people openly scheme and manipulate ways to do this. But that's not me! I think it's very judgemental to make the above across-the-board statement about everyone here who understood the dining plan to include an app for the kids. BTW if you read my previous posts you will see that I never expected to get an adult app or any other part of an adult meal for my kids, I honestly thought a 1/2 size or children's app was what they were getting. I feel that the brochures made the reader believe this. Apparently the people at Disney agreed, as evidenced by the recent additions of the children's apps to many restaurant menus AND the change in how the Dining Plan is described in recent responses from Disney.

So why all this bashing of fellow DISers when Disney is making changes that obviously support the views/expectations of many who have posted here?

To all who have called us "greedy" and "complainers" and acused our kids of being obese overeaters and said that we have feelings of "entitlement"- I'm curious......What do you get out of this flaming? :confused3

Disney needs to change its literature for the dining plan.

I am not interested in the dining plan, so I know only what I see here and other places where it's being discussed.

Disney apparently said something like: "Each diner on the plan may order one appetizer, an entree and a dessert."

They also said "Children must order off the children's menu, where there is one."

They should have been clear that some children's menus do not include appetizers or desserts. I certainly couldn't blame consumers for thinking the children were entitled to everything including the appetizer and dessert. I think they've also seen a lot of adults trying to get extra food for themselves through the children (not that anyone here has attempted to do that).

TDC Nala said:
Disney needs to change its literature for the dining plan.

I am not interested in the dining plan, so I know only what I see here and other places where it's being discussed.

Disney apparently said something like: "Each diner on the plan may order one appetizer, an entree and a dessert."

They also said "Children must order off the children's menu, where there is one."

They should have been clear that some children's menus do not include appetizers or desserts. I certainly couldn't blame consumers for thinking the children were entitled to everything including the appetizer and dessert. I think they've also seen a lot of adults trying to get extra food for themselves through the children (not that anyone here has attempted to do that).

Quick, unsubscribe to this thread or put on your flame-proof suit ASAP!

I am thrilled that Disney is changing their literature and menu selections. Maybe people will quit whining...but I doubt it. I just believe that people are POed, because they thought they could really "cash in" on the food situation, and Disney has chosen to deal with it. It has been all over the board. Pooling meals, giving other's meals, lying about the number of children to get additional meals, fussing because the expensive deserts (or appetizers) for multiples aren't included, or colored ice cubes... Geesh. It reeks of "entitlement." As soon as someone comes back saying they got "xyz" someone else will be saying they were ripped off because they didn't.

meandtheguys2 said:
When you look at how many calories there are packed into a whole meal including appetizers, entree, desert and drink, it is no wonder we have the obesity problem we do here in the US. To get all of this food for a child would be ridiculous.

I love the alternative listings, though. No kid should eat nuggets, mac & cheese and pb&j around the clock either.

I don't think it is a calorie thing as much as seditary life style here in America. I live in Virginia and we get lots of history here! Did you know that on the Lewis and Clark expedition, they needed 18,000 calories a day/person to meet their calorie expenditure??? I just read that in the paper last week. I have also read in some of the colonial articles that men need 8000 calories today. What we have now is that we do not move or even work like our ancestors did. They ate very high calorie meals.

I say all that because WDW does require alot of walking. My grandmother always said you eat as much as you work. Well, WDW is work!! We do not stop moving everyday we are there but we are having a blast. This is one time I would enjoy a appy and dessert. I don't think you should make statements on how much people should be eating!!! I have 2 sets of twins and I move all day long!!! I can afford to eat some during the day. My husband has an office job so he now only eats a salad during the day. So how can you say that a family at WDW should not be expected to eat and enjoy their vacation!!! Weird?????

Now the brochure, we all know what it says by now....does not even state that a child would get a dessert. But when I emailed Disney, they replied back that a child gets a dessert at every restaurant. So how are were we to know about the appy? Why is it so wrong to ask? It is good to know because some of us might let our kids share.

As my 4 year old says.."Get a life"

"Why is it so wrong to ask? It is good to know because some of us might let our kids share. "

I don't think anyone minds anyone asking, it's the not accepting the answer that seems to be the problem!
:earsboy:

tinkamom said:
"Why is it so wrong to ask? It is good to know because some of us might let our kids share. "

I don't think anyone minds anyone asking, it's the not accepting the answer that seems to be the problem!
:earsboy:

Who, exactly, is not accepting the answer? Not me. I'm pleased with the "answers" ie: the changes Disney has made. It seems to me like the ones who are paid by Disney to keep their fingers on the "pulse" of customer satisfaction have seen the flaws and addressed them:

1) Disney's wording when describing the plan was misleading. So Disney has taken to describing the plan in a much clearer way. (Though, I DO wish that the the online brochure would reflect these changes in wording)

2) Disney stated each TS meal credit would recieve an app. So Disney has added children's app to many menus.

Were the posters to this thread, who only wanted the above, acting in a "greedy" way or feeling a sense of "entitlement"? Apparently, Disney did not think so!

I think this thread went sour when too many people brought in strong (and probably justified) feelings based on the actions of posters from OTHER threads. I know there are those out there who will find loopholes, etc. and are even out and out dishonest when going to WDW. I really don't think there was anyone here that could be included in that group, yet we were flamed as if we are.

meandtheguys2 said:
people...... thought they could really "cash in" on the food situation........ Pooling meals, giving other's meals, lying about the number of children to get additional meals, fussing because the expensive deserts (or appetizers) for multiples aren't included, or colored ice cubes... Geesh. It reeks of "entitlement."

I have not been reading these threads so these things never even entered into my mind.

I am tired of people with negative posts, critizing those who are asking questions about the changes in the meal plan. If they offered a room discount, and the bathroom was closed would that by okay to you, because you got the room at a discount?? I expect to get what I paid for, I am entitled to it. I have never asked for anything more than what disney promised. I dont want to use child credits for adults. But yes, I want to maximize the meal plan for its value.

I don't mean to stoop to this level but I am tired of people critizing other people. We are on a budget and I don't want to be surprised when I made a reservation and for instance, can't pool credits. To be honet, we probably wouldn't have decided to go to disney, had that been the case. My sister will be using many of the table service credits while we will be using the counter service credits. It doesnt make sense for her to use all of those table service credits.

P.S. When we go out with my nephews they always order an app. The meal plan said it included an app for children. Then they should be able to get an APP. Period.

meandtheguys2 said:
I am thrilled that Disney is changing their literature

Is that an "official" statement? Did someone from Disney actually post they are changing the MYW Dining literature? Did I miss that on this thread? Or is this another assumption? :confused3

DiscussDisney said:
Is that an "official" statement? Did someone from Disney actually post they are changing the MYW Dining literature? Did I miss that on this thread? Or is this another assumption? :confused3

This is what I know. When persons have inquired (via e-mail) about specifics of the dining plan they get a detailed description of the dining plan in an emailed response. THAT description is different from the online and paper literature in that it more clearly states that children's appetizers are only included if the restaurant has appetizers as part of the children's menu.

So, we will probably favor going to the restaurants that offer the children's app. That way, if my DS8 wants an app, he can have one. If not, we'll pass on it. OR I will eat DS's app and he can have mine, bc some of the children's app's appeal more to me than him.

crazymomof4 said:
:rotfl2: Oh ya, that will work because we all know that kids will trample each other down to get to a...............SALAD! :rolleyes2

I hate to be a gripper but, it seems to me like Disney didn't think it through when they offered appetizers on the children's dining plan and now they are coming up with an inexpensive way to cover their oversight. Salad for kids on vacation.......come on! :sad2:

That's OK. I won't mind sharing my fried mozzerella sticks with DS8 and DD4.

:flower2:

Hey my kids have always loved salad and believe it or not that's what they've always ordered for an appy and still do!

I totally agree with everything crazymomof4 has said. I NEVER said I wanted a Adult Appetizer for my child. I HAVE NEVER been to Disneyworld so I was thinking that they would have appetizers on the childs menu. I hate when people assume things. I never expected what I posted to be so blown out of content and this debate going on. I was just simply giving people a heads up on the dining plan. Oh and my daughters are not obese overeaters either they are underweight twigs. :flower:

crazymomof4 said:
This is what I know. When persons have inquired (via e-mail) about specifics of the dining plan they get a detailed description of the dining plan in an emailed response. THAT description is different from the online and paper literature in that it more clearly states that children's appetizers are only included if the restaurant has appetizers as part of the children's menu.

So, we will probably favor going to the restaurants that offer the children's app. That way, if my DS8 wants an app, he can have one. If not, we'll pass on it. OR I will eat DS's app and he can have mine, bc some of the children's app's appeal more to me than him.

Yes, I agree. I actually spoke to someone at Disney (on the phone, but not CRO....GR transferred me to someone in corporate) a couple of weeks ago. They told me that they were very knowledgable about the dining plan and explained it to me like this:

1) Kids only get an appy when it is available on the kids menu. Kids menus are being updated to include 1 or 2 appy choices.

2) If there is no appy on the kids menu, it is at the restaurants discretion as to whether or not they can get one off the adult menu (she didn't know which restaurants were allowing this, though).

She said that although they want to make the plan as flexible as possible for their guests, the plan was not designed to allow kids (3-9) to order anything off the adult menu.

meandtheguys2 said:
I am thrilled that Disney is changing their literature and menu selections. Maybe people will quit whining...but I doubt it. I just believe that people are POed, because they thought they could really "cash in" on the food situation, and Disney has chosen to deal with it. It has been all over the board. Pooling meals, giving other's meals, lying about the number of children to get additional meals, fussing because the expensive deserts (or appetizers) for multiples aren't included, or colored ice cubes... Geesh. It reeks of "entitlement." As soon as someone comes back saying they got "xyz" someone else will be saying they were ripped off because they didn't.

Not everyone is like who you have described. I for one did none of those things you have mentioned. I Honestly I never even read anyone doing it on the threads before I left for my trip.

So this thread will go down in Dis history with the pool hopping and great refillable mug debate! :banana: :grouphug: ;)

Luv2Roam said:
So this thread will go down in Dis history with the pool hopping and great refillable mug debate! :banana: :grouphug: ;)

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: To funny Luv2Roam. I never thought that my post would cause so much flaming and bickering.

Luv2Roam said:

Only because some have made up their minds ahead of time about what kind of people we are. I never have been and never will be the type to break the rules. I frown on people who do. Never pool hopped, never even purchased a refillable mug. I am ignorant to many of the ways and means to "cheat" Disney, or anyone else, for that matter. I think many (most?) of the posters here are like me. "Law-abiding Disney guests-to-be" who interpretted the Dining Plan to include the now famous child's appetizer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter