Back from Saratoga - Grandstand Section

littlestar

DIS Veteran
Just got back today (barely got back- Southwest had to route another plane from Texas to take us home as the Philly flight from the northeast snow storm was probably not going to make it). We were extremely:yay: glad they found another plane to get us home.

We checked into Saratoga's new Grandstand section on Saturday March 10th. We stayed in a studio. The room was perfect (of course - brand new). Some of the cast members told us that Disney had Saratoga employees stay in the rooms last week to test that everything was working correctly. Our room was great. I loved the color scheme.

We really enjoyed the Grandstand pool. It reminded us of the Boardwalk quiet pool (but a lot bigger). The pool has a bar and a self serve refillable mug station - very convenient. The splash pop jet play area for the kids looked really fun.

Forgot to add, we were so pleasantly surprised with the Grandstand section that we decided to do a small add-on at SSR for the later ending date for our grown kids. So besides our BWV and VWL, we now own a small contract at SSR. :cool1:

They were still building the Grandstand area on our last trip and I can't remember if any of the buildings look out towards DTD. What's the view like over there? Normally we stay in Congress Park, but I think I'm ready for a change of pace for our Apr/May trip.

They were still building the Grandstand area on our last trip and I can't remember if any of the buildings look out towards DTD. What's the view like over there? Normally we stay in Congress Park, but I think I'm ready for a change of pace for our Apr/May trip.

Grandstand views should be of the golf course, pool and canal, but it's further west of DTD than Congress Park. You won't see DTD from there. Only CP has that honor.

It's too far down to have views of downtown Disney. It looked like to me that 3 of the buildings will have golf course/canal views. The furthest buildings can even see the tree house villas. The building we stayed in had partial pool views and partial golf course views. If you get a room overlooking the Grandstand pool, at Boardwalk it would be considered a premium view room. Talk about overlooking the pool - it definitely had the view. :) The building across from the Grandstand pool (which looked like they were very close to opening as they were moving in furniture, etc.) has views of the golf course and canal, but when you open your front door to your room, you're looking at the Grandstand pool.

The new Grandstand section is what sold us on some points at Saratoga. Very nice. I would probably prefer the golf course view because I like quiet, but I wouldn't turn down one of those balcony pool views rooms - ;) The colors and decor really reminded me of the Boardwalk. Even the landscaping and trees reminded me of the Boardwalk Villas.

The new Grandstand section is what sold us on some points at Saratoga. Very nice. I would probably prefer the golf course view because I like quiet, but I wouldn't turn down one of those balcony pool views rooms - ;) The colors and decor really reminded me of the Boardwalk. Even the landscaping and trees reminded me of the Boardwalk Villas.

True story - on our last trip, we were on a bus and DH must have gotten turned around and when we started to approach the side-view of BWV, DH commented about it being SSR. With the frequent SSR-bashing, I just started laughing and told him he had no idea how horrified some people would be by his mistake.

But you are right. To an objective eye - the architecture, color, and resort buildings do look an awful lot alike - especially the new grandstand pool area. Minus the clown of course.

Glad you had a great trip! When we go in May, we are going to request the Grandstand section. Hopefully we'll be in the first building. Hop, skip and a long jump to the hot tub and bar!! :banana:

But you are right. To an objective eye - the architecture, color, and resort buildings do look an awful lot alike - especially the new grandstand pool area. Minus the clown of course.

Yes, the Boardwalk clown is missing at the Grandstand pool - ;) Thank goodness. We affectionately call him Crusty.

Congratulations on your add-on and great trip! Our family loves SSR. Hopefully, we will be able to squeeze in a summer trip so we can try out the new Grandstand Section.

I forgot to mention that Saratoga set up a large movie screen at the main pool three nights of our trip and showed Cars, Lilo and Stitch, and Toy Story. I told my husband it felt like the old days when we used to go to the drive-in. Except instead of sitting in a car, we were sitting in lounge chairs watching the movie. Of course, most of the kids were swimming and watching the movie.

I forgot to mention that Saratoga set up a large movie screen at the main pool three nights of our trip and showed Cars, Lilo and Stitch, and Toy Story. I told my husband it felt like the old days when we used to go to the drive-in. Except instead of sitting in a car, we were sitting in lounge chairs watching the movie. Of course, most of the kids were swimming and watching the movie.

We've been to SSR 4 times and never knew about that. I wonder if this is new or are we just to pooped at the end of the day to care.:goodvibes

Excellent...I hope they keep that as an on-going event!

I'm guessing this is somehing new???

I love this idea! Hope they continue it. :thumbsup2

Sounds like you had a great time! We're heading to the Boardwalk in less than 2 weeks but last year spent 5 nights at Saratoga and loved it. I'm really going to miss it this trip and plan on staying there again.

I wish the Boardwalk would add a refillable station - it sure would make sense in the pool area.

Congratulations on your add on! I'm happy to hear about the movies at the pool!!!!

Bobbi:goodvibes

I love the movie at the pool! Do they do this at any other resorts? Glad you enjoyed your trip and congrats on your add on!

Is the Grandstand pool large enough for adults without kids to enjoy it, or is the water feature going to be so popular that this pool will pretty much be a large kiddie pool. Which is fine, just trying to get a feel for the size of the pool.

I know at the main pool, the kids area is removed enough so that there is space for adults and kids both.

Just have no sense of how large this area is? Sounds really nice and when we take the nieces and nephews I am sure we will spend a lot of time there, but on an adults only trip would you recommend another pool?

Thanks for any insight from someone that has actually seen it.

Is the Grandstand pool large enough for adults without kids to enjoy it, or is the water feature going to be so popular that this pool will pretty much be a large kiddie pool. Which is fine, just trying to get a feel for the size of the pool.

I know at the main pool, the kids area is removed enough so that there is space for adults and kids both.

Just have no sense of how large this area is? Sounds really nice and when we take the nieces and nephews I am sure we will spend a lot of time there, but on an adults only trip would you recommend another pool?

Thanks for any insight from someone that has actually seen it.

Sammie,

The water splash area was on the opposite end of the swimming pool. So I think they separated them pretty good. The pool was rather large looking we thought. Of course, only one building was open so it will be interesting to see how the area handles all four buildings.

I love SSR, I enjoy the peace and quiet after a day in the parks. Normally we've stayed in SSR since our young adult kids like to hit DTD in the evenings, but our next trip in with our 6 yr old niece so the Grandstands is sounding better all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter