Back to the West 2014

Just stopping in to say hi! I recently finished reading your last trip report and am so glad you have started another! I have loved seeing your beautiful photos from both WDW and DLR, and the dresses you have made for Katie are just spectacular!
The churros are SO much better in California! Really. We haven't had one at US but have had them at WDW. And for some reason they just aren't as good there. I think it's because they sell so many more at DLR that they are constantly fresh. We're seriously addicted and need a "churro budget" on every trip it seems.

My mom and I went on our first mother/daughter trip to DLR in January and came across a churro stand in Downtown Disney. I was beyond excited because they had Oreo churros! Two of my favorite things :)

That is good to hear that Katie wants to get pictures with the characters and with all the pictures you take, it will make a good scrap book when she gets older and glad she did that.

Looks like I didn't read your report clearly and saw the picture and assume you rode the swinging gondolas during the trip. As with PiO and me about the swinging gondolas, when we were about to ride MFW back in 2013, her family tried to get me to go on the swinging-gondolas. I know that DS wanted to go on it a lot and PiO tried to encourage me to go on it and they did. But when we got closer to riding it, PiO had a change of heart and went with me on the non-swinging gondola. Her DH and DS went on the swinging gondolas. It was a good thing we did that or we would have rode the swinging gondola twice since the CM's let us ride it again since there was no one in the queue.

Maybe I'll have to meet up with PiO and you on our next trip so we can all chicken out together! :p I could totally see myself doing just that. 2 trips around would have definitely been too much for a first trip though. I won't share that little piece of the story with Katie. ;)

Mickey's winter attire is so cute. Sounds like a fun morning, love all the shots from up above!

And churros for breakfast sounds like my kind of thing!! :)

I agree Mickey at DCA was adorable! And how awesome it was to find him with no line.

And I highly recommend the churro breakfast. We ate so many of those things I was actually turning Katie down for part of hers on this trip!

I think Mickey's Fun Wheel should be renamed to Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death :scared1:

Yeah. That! :p I heard the cars have barf bags. Does anyone know if that's true or just urban legend?

Just stopping in to say hi! I recently finished reading your last trip report and am so glad you have started another! I have loved seeing your beautiful photos from both WDW and DLR, and the dresses you have made for Katie are just spectacular!

My mom and I went on our first mother/daughter trip to DLR in January and came across a churro stand in Downtown Disney. I was beyond excited because they had Oreo churros! Two of my favorite things :)

Hi karri! :wave: Glad you found the new report. :welcome:

I saw that churro stand on like our last night when I was stuffed to the gills. Right now I would totally down one of those oreo churros..... but that day? I just could not. :( Something to look forward to this year I suppose!

LOL. I was afraid of that! Thanks for the quick reply.

So much for the "urban legend" theory. ;)
After riding that once, I knew they had to have them. I hate to admit this, but I'm now afraid of Ferris wheels.:eek:

Maybe I'll have to meet up with PiO and you on our next trip so we can all chicken out together! :p I could totally see myself doing just that. 2 trips around would have definitely been too much for a first trip though. I won't share that little piece of the story with Katie. ;)

If we are all there together, I'm going to MAKE both of you go on MFWoD with me.....swinging gondola side. AND I'll even bring sick bags with me. :p

After riding that once, I knew they had to have them. I hate to admit this, but I'm now afraid of Ferris wheels.:eek:

OK....... now you're scaring me! :scared1:

I'm in! Loving all of the photos and cannot wait to read more!

Welcome! :welcome: So glad to have you along!

If we are all there together, I'm going to MAKE both of you go on MFWoD with me.....swinging gondola side. AND I'll even bring sick bags with me. :p

LOL. I'm just saying that if that ever happened....... I would require you to keep your camera in your bag then entire time. I would insist on no photographic evidence of the experience! :rotfl2:

Yay found your new trip report!

Hey ArwenMarie! So glad to see you over here! :welcome:

Mickey's Not-So-Fun-Wheel. Our family went once on the swinging cars and I said never again. Fast forward four years and the family is forgetful enough to do it AGAIN while I was getting RSR FPs. Oy. Serves them right. (and these are the people who rode Screamin 7 times in a row)

I hear you on teens/tweens and changing their mind on gifts. Thank heavens for Amazon Prime when I do finally cut off idea submissions!

And mmmmmmm Churros. Best breakfast ever. It's no worse than a cinnamon-sugar donut!!

PHXscuba

LOL. I'm just saying that if that ever happened....... I would require you to keep your camera in your bag then entire time. I would insist on no photographic evidence of the experience! :rotfl2:

Personally, I think if I got you and Bret on the swinging side, I would think we would NEED a picture......as objective evidence that you both got on that side at least once! :rotfl2:

Following along!! I just LOVE WOC we sat in the "wet zone" over the summer....won't EVER do that again!! Can't wait til we get to go back!!!

Great shots, as always! And a really nice recovery by the CM's - that Wishing Well Room looks amazing.

I'm 100% in favor of churros for breakfast, btw. It's not a true Theme Park Vacation without at least one Breakfast of Champions.

And Santa looks so much better this year after his little, um, "vacation"....;)

Mickey's Not-So-Fun-Wheel. Our family went once on the swinging cars and I said never again. Fast forward four years and the family is forgetful enough to do it AGAIN while I was getting RSR FPs. Oy. Serves them right. (and these are the people who rode Screamin 7 times in a row)

I hear you on teens/tweens and changing their mind on gifts. Thank heavens for Amazon Prime when I do finally cut off idea submissions!

And mmmmmmm Churros. Best breakfast ever. It's no worse than a cinnamon-sugar donut!!

PHXscuba

I'm glad you found us over here PHXscuba! :welcome:

:thumbsup2 See.... you totally "get" the "churros for breakfast" thing. It seems more of a breakfast food than anything else to me.

I've been working with my daughter on not changing her mind so much on things. But I do try to give her some leeway with Christmas. I really don't want to give her something she ends up not wanting. Mostly I just try to wait until it's too late to change!

Interesting that your group who will willingly do Sreamin 7 times in a row has hesitation about the swinging gondolas. I was ready to give it a try, but I'm back to wavering again. I talked Katie into it, but I'm fairly certain I can count on her to change her mind on it. ;)

Personally, I think if I got you and Bret on the swinging side, I would think we would NEED a picture......as objective evidence that you both got on that side at least once! :rotfl2:

Yeah, and make sure you get the shot right. Because you probably wouldn't get a second chance! :rotfl2:

Following along!! I just LOVE WOC we sat in the "wet zone" over the summer....won't EVER do that again!! Can't wait til we get to go back!!!

Hi luulu! Welcome! :welcome:

Sounds like you had a different experience with the wet zone. I would have been in SO much trouble if we really had a wet zone when we did WoC in 2013. It was SO cold that night.

Great shots, as always! And a really nice recovery by the CM's - that Wishing Well Room looks amazing.

I'm 100% in favor of churros for breakfast, btw. It's not a true Theme Park Vacation without at least one Breakfast of Champions.

And Santa looks so much better this year after his little, um, "vacation"....;)

And welcome to clsteve! :welcome: Glad you found us! :cool1:

And welcome to the "churros for breakfast" club!

It's funny. But I was working with some photos of last year's Santas putting together a scrapbook page recently. I kept trying to adjust the temperature and tint sliders in Lightroom to tone down the red in his face. AND I FAILED! :lmao: No matter what I did, his face was still bright red.

Must have been more than a white balance problem? :rotfl2:

Hey Janet! So happy to have found this :)

What a great start to your trip! Carthay Circle looks wonderful. It's on my list for August...just trying to decide if I want to do the WoC package or not. In 2013 we were right at the lower rail and had no one in front of us. I loved that!

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your week!

I got behind...but luckily you didn't post too much either.
Loving the WoC photos. You should've put Mickey ears on the kid on the trash can and it would've made for some neat shots. LOL!
I have no desire to ever go on the death trap wheel of horrors! Swinging or not!!!
You got some great shots on Screamin! It's really making me want to go. I am betting it's going to be summer now with the pace my husband is going with his decision making. Maybe we can go early May but I am seeing that slip away. And then late May to early June we have to deal with the end of school and dance recital.

We're actually kicking around a late October trip. And there *might* be a costume under discussion. :) I just can't decide if it will feel like something is missing in December when we don't go. :(

What about a mid-November trip ;)

I'm definitely joining in on this report..gotta prepare for our trip! What do you find is your most useful lens at DLR? I've saved up for a while to buy an 18-200 lens, so I don't have to deal with changing lenses b/w the 18-55 and 70-300, but I haven't bought it just yet. I have a 50 mm as well, which is great for low light..except for how close up it gets. Is the 24-70 worth a lens rental?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter