• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bad "etiquette", or not?

What has happened to this world? Only people who have bladders like camels can predict when they must use the facilities. If you have or have ever had kids....you can take them and five minutes later go again. As far as asking for special cards for special needs....how ridiculous for everyone with IBS or a bladder condition to ask for that.

If it really irrates you that much for someone to rejoin their family.....you must be in need of a reeaallyyy long vacation. I doubt seriously it will affect your wait time at all.

Chill out.

People are answering (for the most part) the OP's question of Fastpass runners. I think the bathroom issues are really for another topic.

People are answering (for the most part) the OP's question of Fastpass runners. I think the bathroom issues are really for another topic.

The point is, people in line don't know why a person is bypassing them. They don't come thru announcing their reason for coming through. Since we can't know the reason they are doing it, why not just give them the benefit of the doubt? I have NEVER seen anyone get mad and not let a person pass who was coming through to rejoin their family.

Cutting in line is rude anywhere, not just Disney World. Are there truly people who did not get taught this when they were a kid?

You are right there are people who have legitimate dis-abilities that may not allow them to wait like everyone else. They go to Guest Services and get their cards to allow them special accommodations.

While I won't say anything to someone with a small child who had to use the restroom, that truly shouldn't be necessary either. When one of my daughters was 4 she had to use the restroom after about 10 minutes in line (not at DW). The whole family left the line while she and I found a restroom and then we all went to the end of the line to start our wait all over again. Because she (and the rest of us) were inconvenienced, it made a big impression on her and we never had to leave a line to use the bathroom again.

I agree! I have 4 kids and we've never left the line for a potty break and then rejoined our party. We always left together and then reentered the line at the end together.

We have no way of knowing why someone is rejoining/cutting, but in my opinion, any reason is unacceptable. I do usually let them though if it's just one person or one adult and one small child. If it's a parent and a small child, I assume it was for a potty break. As I said, I let them cut in front of me, but mentally, I'm "tsk-tsking" at the lesson that child is learning. If it's two or more older children or adults, I don't let them pass me.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my "medical needs" question.

Here is Ms. Manners take. (Even if it isn't quite the same situation.) sorry I don't know how to post a link

"lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5630275"

We have no way of knowing why someone is rejoining/cutting, but in my opinion, any reason is unacceptable. I do usually let them though if it's just one person or one adult and one small child. If it's a parent and a small child, I assume it was for a potty break. As I said, I let them cut in front of me, but mentally, I'm "tsk-tsking" at the lesson that child is learning. If it's two or more older children or adults, I don't let them pass me.

Sorry, but I don't agree with making a small child feel guilty that they have to potty. What kind of lesson is that teaching them? I know that as an adult I can go, and then have to go again 10 minutes later. Sometimes stuff happens. Why get so worked up about it?

:) I honestly don't care if one person rejoins their group for whatever reason.....potty, fastpass, left my bag somewhere....etc.. It's the group of 10 that would be rude to me.

We're all on vacation and it's Disney!

Del

right. the above quote seems to sum this thread up. there are really two different debates going on here:

people who were in line, left the line with family members still in the line and then returning....no big deal.

2. mom and little johnny getting in line while daddy runs to get fast passes for an attraction...not nice and teaching the child that they are more important the the other people around them(a seriously disturbing trend in society these days).

right. the above quote seems to sum this thread up. there are really two different debates going on here:

people who were in line, left the line with family members still in the line and then returning....no big deal.

2. mom and little johnny getting in line while daddy runs to get fast passes for an attraction...not nice and teaching the child that they are more important the the other people around them(a seriously disturbing trend in society these days).

AGREED!!!

If we all want to see the attraction together, and it's time to get fastpasses, we all get them together (only 1 wait in the FP line) or the rest just wait at the next attraction. I am a wimp, so I usually get the fp's while my family goes on something that I don't want to anyway. I don't think any of us has cut in front of a line to be with our group, and certainly not because we were getting fp's, which can be done anytime.

Sometimes as we six are just getting into a line, a group of people might cut right in between us. We feel funny rejoining our party, and usually the ones in the front come back to be with the others who got "cut off". In lines, such as for Muppets 3D, where we know we will rejoin our group in the big room, we don't make an issue of this.

I let people through who say they are catching up with their group, but I am hoping they are telling the truth, especially if there is more than one.

We try to avoid lines as much as possible, anyway.

Sleeping~Beauty said:
Respectfully, not exactly :teeth:
The OP's question isn't about FastPass running, although that's the way most of the DISers who haven't strayed off to the wider theory are responding.

As far as I can tell, the OP wants to know if it's an etiquette breach to get FastPasses for his/her entire party for any single attraction while the rest of the party gets in the standby line for that attraction, then move past Guests who've gotten in line behind that party.

I applaud the OP for asking. Given the specific question, I'm not sure if some people realize the FastPass distribution machines are adjacent TO the attraction entrances; that there wouldn't be any appreciable wait-time difference (e.g. a minute or two) for the bulk of the party to wait outside the attraction line entrance, for the FastPass fetcher to catch up with them.

But I DO agree with your assessment about the larger, general issue being the topic for another thread - I'm guessing somebody's already started it? :)

Sorry, but I don't agree with making a small child feel guilty that they have to potty. What kind of lesson is that teaching them? I know that as an adult I can go, and then have to go again 10 minutes later. Sometimes stuff happens. Why get so worked up about it?

I suppose there really isn't any way to take except as an insult to my parenting abilities. Luckily, I'm confident enough not to be too thin skinned, since I either have or still am raising 4 children. I also realize that as we are all individuals, we of course, will also have different parenting styles. My personal style is to teach my children that they are no more important than anyone else and are expected to do mundane things like wait in line...but each to their own. ;)

As I said in my previous post, I do allow them to cut in line ahead of me when they come back from wherever, as long as it isn't a group.

I suppose there really isn't any way to take except as an insult to my parenting abilities. Luckily, I'm confident enough not to be too thin skinned, since I either have or still am raising 4 children. I also realize that as we are all individuals, we of course, will also have different parenting styles. My personal style is to teach my children that they are no more important than anyone else and are expected to do mundane things like wait in line...but each to their own. ;)

As I said in my previous post, I do allow them to cut in line ahead of me when they come back from wherever, as long as it isn't a group.

And you also stated that you were "mentally tsk-tsking at the lesson that child is learning". So you let people by, but are really being very judgemental. Taking a child for an emergency potty-break will not make them have some sort of superiority complex. If it makes you feel that you are a better parent to pull your whole family out of line because one child needs to use a bathroom, then go for it. I think most parents would be a little more understanding of a true bathroom emergency, and not be so judgemental.

The Real story :teacher:

So Disney makes the fast pass to help limit your waiting time.

So what do people do??? they try to exploit two weakness in the system to SAVE
EVEN MORE TIME :rotfl2: (not happy enough that FP is saving them time to begin with)

Type 1 DAD GETS UP EARLY AND GOES TO EPCOT while darling family enjoys breakfast at Cape May (how nice!). DAD is next seen screaming at poor cast member about why his
5 tickets won't work in the fast pass machine:headache: :mad:

Answer- because the 4 tickets weren't activated when only yourself used 1 ticket to get in the gate to Epcot. (all 5 people have to pass through the gate each day to activate ticket before it will work in fast pass machines)

Type 2 DAD RUNS TO GET FAST PASSES WHILE REST OF FAMILY GETS a head-start in line. Dad returns and cuts everyone who is playing by the rules.

Answer- Disney could require a finger print scan at each fast pass machine for each member of the party, so that like the Park Entrances ... each person must be in attendance to use the nice perk called fast pass.
(Won't Happen, but it would stop the OP's original question on this thread)

Type 1 Dad is cheating the fast pass system, and not getting away with it :thumbsup2

Type 2 Dad is also cheating the fast pass system which is built to save you time....but not at the expenses of families who got in line together (because they wanted to ride together)

So type 2 Dad is breaking the spirit of the law, but feels its OK because he doesn't get caught or pay a penalty.... only has to cause small amount of grief for all others in line :rainbow: FIGURES TO HIMSELF- "NO PROBLEM, I CAN LIVE WITH THAT...they are suckers for not thinking of the same trick" :scared: Justifies behavior by thinking- time is more important to Me and my family, than the majority of people that are waiting in line the proper way.

I know that the "medical issues" part of the discussion is off topic. But I think people have brought it up for a very good reason. When you give an individual a dirty look (or do not allow them to get through), how do you know if they are a coming from getting a fast pass or coming from the bathroom? It's a scary thought for those of us who have medical issues. After reading this thread, I will definitely go to guest services and see what accomodations can be made. However, I feel sad for the other people in my position who have never read these boards.

how do you know if they are a coming from getting a fast pass or coming from the bathroom? It's a scary thought for those of us who have medical issues.

Good Question

The person trying to move forward, is asking each person in line to make a judgment about letting them by. (That's why its frustrating to all the people in the line...they don't know why you are moving forward)

I don't work for Disney so I don't feel I have the power to make that call.

I ask them to please explain their reason for moving to the front of a line to a Disney Cast Member and he will take the proper action.

The line cutter is asking you to make a judgment, I am tossing the ball back in their lap, by telling them that they need to get that judgment from a Disney professional.

If the person has a real issue they are happy with this response, if they are trying to skirt the letter of the rules, they don't like my suggestion at all :wizard:

The Real story :teacher:

So type 2 Dad is breaking the spirit of the law, but feels its OK because he doesn't get caught or pay a penalty.... only has to cause small amount of grief for all others in line :rainbow: FIGURES TO HIMSELF- "NO PROBLEM, I CAN LIVE WITH THAT...they are suckers for not thinking of the same trick" :scared: Justifies behavior by thinking- time is more important to Me and my family, than the majority of people that are waiting in line the proper way.

OK, now I am confused. What "law" is being broken when "Dad" runs ahead to grab fast passes for the entire of group? I could see people getting their panties in a bunch over the dad then jumping into line to catch up with the family, but what if he just meets up with them, doesn't jump into line with them? Is that still wrong and why?

OK, now I am confused. What "law" is being broken when "Dad" runs ahead to grab fast passes for the entire of group? I could see people getting their panties in a bunch over the dad then jumping into line to catch up with the family, but what if he just meets up with them, doesn't jump into line with them? Is that still wrong and why?

Nope! You are correct. I was only writing towards the topic of this thread- "line cutting after running for fast passes"

Sending a fast pass runner, while the rest of the family waits to join the next ride together is a fantastic idea. (they can shop, bathroom break, eat...that's what fast pass was made for!!!)

I'm glad I'm not a professional writer. So many angles to think of before you try to write out a idea .... Sorry

I'm just enjoying the pure logic of the debate at the moment. (not trying to be too harsh) just making counter points to the arguments that are coming up

OK, now I am confused. What "law" is being broken when "Dad" runs ahead to grab fast passes for the entire of group? I could see people getting their panties in a bunch over the dad then jumping into line to catch up with the family
But that is EXACTLY the issue Markstudy is addressing.
We are not talking about FastPass runners - dad running ahead to get FastPasses for everyone. That was NOT the original question.
We are - or should be, based on the OP's specific questions - addressing the family who gets in the standby line for, say, Expedition Everest while dad gets them FastPasses for... Expedition Everest, then joins the rest of the family already in line - cutting past other Guests.

What really bothers me is the MANNER in which most people "catch up". They don't seem to understand that one is supposed to say, "Excuse me" wait for the other guest to move out of their way, and THEN proceed ahead.

They just pretend saying, "Excuse me" makes them polite so they say it as they bash their way past you. :headache: I'm shorter than average and hate it when I get elbows and daypacks bouncing off my head and shoulders.

Guests stand in line pretty close together; I hope those "catching up" are intelligent enough to notice that they will not fit thru the 12" gap without bumping into someone! :rotfl2:

I just wish they had the courtesty when doing it. I always let people by - I'm not trying to block them, usually I'm just enjoying the immediate surrounding (like looking at the pre-ride exhibit, chatting with DH, etc.).

End of rant.

cheers,
:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter