Bad "etiquette", or not?

I guess we could debate the pros and cons of all of this all day. I have mixed feelings about each type of line cutter based on how many times it has happened to our family. The most frustrating time was when two teenage boys started at the back of the line and gradually moved forward saying "excuse me..we need to join our family". We watched them work their way through the standby line at Expedition Everest to just outside the building until one man with his family said no. Their "family" was standing outside the ropes saying "hurry up", we want to make the Lion King show". After each family that they passed they seemed to snicker to each other, and many times would try to pass on the sly as people stood waiting patiently. We watched these kids and I thought how sad that the parents were "encouraging" them to do this.:sad2:

And you also stated that you were "mentally tsk-tsking at the lesson that child is learning". So you let people by, but are really being very judgemental. Taking a child for an emergency potty-break will not make them have some sort of superiority complex. If it makes you feel that you are a better parent to pull your whole family out of line because one child needs to use a bathroom, then go for it. I think most parents would be a little more understanding of a true bathroom emergency, and not be so judgemental.

As a mother of 4, I understand bathroom emergencies, I just don’t think that those issues should impact everyone else. I also don’t want to teach my children that they are so special that they don’t need to play by the rules.

As for being judgmental, of course I am. We all make judgment calls everyday, it’s human nature. You’ve made a judgment about me based on my opinion of this issue. That judgment may or may not extend to your overall opinion of me. I have also made a judgment about your stand on this issue, only on this one issue though. I realize that the politically correct thing to say now is that you aren’t judgmental. It’s bogus though, since we all live our lives everyday making judgment calls about other people.

So, back to the issue at hand. Yes, I’m mentally making a judgment about that parent who is teaching their child that they are above the rules that the rest of us follow. As previously stated though,, it’s “mental tsk-tsking” only.

"sir I will not let you pass, I am waiting in line like everyone else. If you have a problem, please go get a cast member and tell him why you need to get to the front of the line. If you have a legitimate reason I'm sure the staff will help you"

Wow! You've done this and not had an altercation? I don't think I would have the guts to do this (but I admire you for doing it!)

I have to admit--I'm starting to get nervous about the attitude of people at WDW--I live near (and go often to) DLR and maybe I'm just oblivious, but haven't noticed these types of issues there. Once in a while one or two people might try to "catch up" to family members in line, but that's about it. (Although I have seen some people who when the line snakes try to get one or two people ahead--why? will getting ahead of two people really make that much difference?)

For those that have been to both WDW and DLR, have you noticed a difference in line-cutting frequency?

There is a very simple solution for FP runners. When you are deciding when to go get FP's, do so at a time when the rest of your family is doing something that you don't mind missing. You get your FP's, come back and meet your family at the ride exit.

I think it is completely wrong and rude to cut in line at any time. Why should someone who went to go get a fast pass deserve to get in line in front of me, who has been waiting patiently. If that person would like to go on the attraction with the rest of his or her party, they should be considerate enough to wait. If not, then that person should get at the back of the line like everyone else who shows up.

ITA......

Our family waits until we can all enter together, but we should let others pass??
And how much time are you really saving??:confused3
I have to say if I toured like that, I would not be very happy to be so rushed.

For those that have been to both WDW and DLR, have you noticed a difference in line-cutting frequency?

DF and I frequent WDW every month and just returned from DLR. I have to say, honestly, in 20+ years of going to the parks, I have never seen this as an "issue". Its happened to us, yes, but I can probably count the times on my fingers, maybe include my toes. :confused3 It isn't anymore a problem at WDW than it was for us at DLR. Honestly. It may happen once, but its not an issue for us. I'm sorry to those that this seems to happen so often to for this huge debate, but in response to the WDW vs DLR...no...if you enjoy the lines/line etiquette at DLR, you will notice no difference at WDW in MHO. :thumbsup2 At the end of the day..after spending 10+ hours enjoying the parks...are you really thinking of the one or two people who stepped ahead in line? :wizard:

But that is EXACTLY the issue Markstudy is addressing.
We are not talking about FastPass runners - dad running ahead to get FastPasses for everyone. That was NOT the original question.
We are - or should be, based on the OP's specific questions - addressing the family who gets in the standby line for, say, Expedition Everest while dad gets them FastPasses for... Expedition Everest, then joins the rest of the family already in line - cutting past other Guests.
I don't think a majority of fastpass users, get fastpass for their family for rides they are waiting in the standby line. What's the point??? Only if you are planning to ride twice. This would only be feasable for early AM when the standby line is still reasonable and would only be once. If this were afternoon or late morning, and the standby line is reasonable, then you dont' need a fastpass anyway. The OP is referring to a fastpass runner, going across the park to get a fastpass while the rest of the party gets in line for another attraction and then meeting up with them in the line. Like a family is waiting for Buzz and the runner goes to Splash to get fastpasses, not the family waiting for Buzz and the fastpass runner getting fastpasses for Buzz.

I don't think a majority of fastpass users, get fastpass for their family for rides they are waiting in the standby line. What's the point???
Two things - first, yes, the point behind getting a FastPass for a ride whose standby line you're about to enter would typically be done to speed up a second ride on that same attraction (I once rode Soarin' Over California [at DCA] six times in a row this way - get a FastPass, get in the standby line, exit, get a FastPass, use first FastPass, exit, get a FastPass, use second FastPass... :teeth: )
But more to the point - the OP asked
Would it be considered bad etiquette if I was to go get fast passes for an attraction while the rest of my family goes to the standby line. I then excuse my way through the stand-by line to catch up with my family?
So that's the question I'm answering :)

Well, IMO one person doesnt have much of aneffect on a ride wait time, lol. If your family is difficult tto get to ie:near the end of the line and in some kind of tunnel..lol I`d say no because you may not get to them in time..and then what lol...

Sometimes on the otherhand, you will get the people frustrated and angry because they don`t know why you are cutting in line... ie: bathroom break vs. trying to pass ppl in line(which is obviously a little silly)...

See when I had my 9 month old in a snuggly and already in line, I had to make an emergency break for the washroom for a diaper... to my shock I was snubbed my many ``Irked`` vacationers as I was trying to catch up to my family on TSM in HS... On the othet hand, some were very kind and helpful.:hippie:

So, IMO you can never tell how ppl will react to thispopcorn::

From a CM standpoint (I used to work Fantasyland attractions) this is wrong. You'd be surprised how many people pull stunts like this and it does affect the other guests. Even if you all take the same ride vehicle (and therefore to your mind it shouldn't make a difference in wait time) the more people who have to get onto a ride vehicle the longer it takes. Not to mention that certain attractions such as Philhar fill to a certain capacity. The problem comes that not just one person does this. You may have three or four families do this in a five minute time frame and that really adds up. Then the wait time you posted is no longer accurate and guess who gets chewed out?

We try to stop the line cutting when we see it, but we really can't enforce it, we have to give the guests the benefit of the doubt. The best I can normally do is say, "Please stay with your party."

For those who are concerned about leaving the line due to medical reasons/potty breaks: Simply alert the CM. Really, I have no problem if you have to take junior for a potty break. In fact, I would much rather he pee in a potty than on my ride. Same thing for any medical situation. If you can leave one member of your party in the queue while you do that, more power to you. We will help you get back up to them without a confrontation. If you can't leave somebody there, we will help you to not have to wait all over again. Believe me, we do this every day. It's a simple matter of alerting the CM at the beginning of the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter