Barca33Runner's Journal: Thanks For Noticin' Me(Comments Welcome)

Sebastian's was something special. I'm shocked at the price point and quality that more people don't talk about it.
I ate at Sebastian's for the first time this weekend as well. I took my mom to celebrate her 10K finish. We were staying at CBR so it was super convenient and it was also the best meal we had all week. My mom didn't stop raving about it.

Friday (10K, Magic Kingdom, Plaza Restaurant for late lunch/early dinner):

-I wasn't feeling particularly great after a third early wakeup. It wasn't injury or illness, just a looming dread that what I was doing wasn't going to be fun.
-It was awesome seeing my nephew so excited and he and my sister had a great race. I told them to leave me early on knowing that I had to do my own thing if I was going to have any hope of more races.
-I wasn't a fan of the new course. I loved running the boardwalk and all of Epcot and the tiny sliver of HS didn't make up for missing those in my experience. I also really like running along the water in the Marathon but for this condensed field it didn't work very well. It was too congested and a little bit of chaos.
-My least favorite part was the downhill exit/entrance ramp. I don't remember a slip or a bad step but it's where my knee pain began in full.
-I harbor no illusions that I was in shape for the Half and Full but as the day went along and my knee didn't improve I felt I no longer had much of a choice to continue on with them. My thoughts on the matter are documented elsewhere. I'm certainly not proud; but I did what I needed to do.
-Going to MK through the TTC is just a nightmare. Adds 45 minutes to actually getting in the park no matter how you slice it. It was particularly annoying that they didn't have buses running.
-MK is the only park where Genie+ comes close to shining. There are enough attractions (unlike Epcot and AK) that it can absorb a ton of demand for LL (unlike HS). Still not great that it requires being tethered to your phone all day.
-Got to do every attraction the kids wanted other than Big Thunder. Would've hit everything if not for our early planned exit.
-One realizes just how short 7DMT is when you wait 2 hours for it.
-Plaza was nice, nothing to write home about. Not much in the way of sit downs in MK and this was a new one for us. It was a little too packed for my taste.
-We left at about 4:00. Kids flight was early Saturday so they preferred pool time to a couple more rides and waiting for Enchantment.
-I came to my decision to sit out the Half and Full after we returned to our rental. Hot Tub and relaxation wasn't helping my knee and I think it's fair to say my heart was never really in this racecation and I didn't want that to ruin one of the few vacations I have.

Saturday and Sunday (Cancelled Races, Wallowing in Self Pity, Being Happy for Others, Moving On)

-I barely remember these couple days.
-I was drafted into taking my niece and nephew to the airport since I was no longer running so I still had to wake at 2:30.
-My sister finished her Half and Full and stayed Perfect Dopey, so there was at least something to celebrate.
-Celebration dinner was Taverna Opa, a greek restaurant in Orlando. We kind of have a tradition of getting Greek after races and since we weren't on property it worked out to try something different. Was very, uh, unique. Food was good.

I ate at the plaza for the first time on Sunday and had a similar reaction. It was nice to have a place to sit and rest but the food and service was disappointing.
Hmmm we had it reserved for Princess Weekend but maybe I'll find something else. We were going to get the giant 50th anniversary ice cream but we are down to just 2 of us so that is out.

This journal is becoming an effective ad for staying off-site! The place sounds great!

My sister finished her Half and Full and stayed Perfect Dopey, so there was at least something to celebrate.

Please give yourself credit for celebrating this. It takes a good person to celebrate the success of others when you are feeling like you have failed yourself. (Personally, I must not be good, cause I believe I would have been snarky/unhappy/borderline if that had happened to me)

Please give yourself credit for celebrating this. It takes a good person to celebrate the success of others when you are feeling like you have failed yourself. (Personally, I must not be good, cause I believe I would have been snarky/unhappy/borderline if that had happened to me)
Agreed. You seem like a dream brother/uncle.

I ate at the plaza for the first time on Sunday and had a similar reaction. It was nice to have a place to sit and rest but the food and service was disappointing.
Hmmm we had it reserved for Princess Weekend but maybe I'll find something else. We were going to get the giant 50th anniversary ice cream but we are down to just 2 of us so that is out.

This journal is becoming an effective ad for staying off-site! The place sounds great!

I wouldn’t say stay away from Plaza, I just can’t wholeheartedly recommend it either. The kids liked their choices but it’s relatively simple stuff. MK is a food wasteland though so I don’t know what I’d recommend over it.

There are pros and cons to staying on and off-site, Disney is just removing pros and increasing price while the rental market is remaining the same. We had one relatively bad rental experience in Orlando out of about 5 (pool/hot tub heater didn’t work). My sister has an AP so we can park for free when we go to the parks and, outside of the Skyliner, Disney transport is virtually useless and getting worse. We definitely feel like we get more bang for the buck outside of Disney and Disney is screwing up the one major advantage they have, the magic and convenience of staying in the bubble, so even though our instincts are to look on property first, I think that is changing.

Agreed. You seem like a dream brother/uncle.

I think you’re giving me too much credit. I’m bummed about my performance but I’m still really happy for her. It’s all up to me to get my stuff together in the future and I’ll be back celebrating for myself as well.

I’m not good at meeting people so spending time with my family is what I’ve got. I try to enjoy that time as best I can.

-Celebration dinner was Taverna Opa, a greek restaurant in Orlando. We kind of have a tradition of getting Greek after races and since we weren't on property it worked out to try something different. Was very, uh, unique. Food was good.

We ate here as well, but on Friday night. My husband had eaten here years ago when he was there for a conference and had such a good time and meal he wanted to go back. Sadly, we ended up not very impressed. Our appetizers were not good at all in our opinion. The main meat entrees were fine, but overall, we weren't very happy with it especially given the price. We made the mistake of sitting outside as well and the wind that was blowing that night was especially cool, so that didn't help much either.

We ate here as well, but on Friday night. My husband had eaten here years ago when he was there for a conference and had such a good time and meal he wanted to go back. Sadly, we ended up not very impressed. Our appetizers were not good at all in our opinion. The main meat entrees were fine, but overall, we weren't very happy with it especially given the price. We made the mistake of sitting outside as well and the wind that was blowing that night was especially cool, so that didn't help much either.

We ate there last year and hit a night where the other diners were really into things and the ambience was great (we also had been traveling all day and were starving). I think it’s a little like Jungle Cruise, if the skipper or other riders are not into it the experience gets awkward or bad quickly. We remembered everything probably 10% better than it was because the atmosphere was on point, this time I think everything felt 10% worse because we were a little tired, not as hungry, and just weren’t into things the same way.

I can’t criticize anyone for eating outdoors right now, I know we shouldn’t have been as cavalier about eating indoor at restaurants as we were, but I think there’s a disconnect between the indoor and outdoor experience there. Based on food alone it wasn’t as good as we remembered or hoped.

Monday (Sleep-in, Steakhouse 71, MK):

-Originally had planned to go to MK, leave the park for lunch at Contemporary, and return to the park. We switched to sleeping in and going over for our 12:25 lunch reservation to start the day. It was a better plan.
-Also allowed us to skirt the rules and park at Contemporary. I didn’t feel great about it but it didn’t hurt anyone and the TTC is nonsense; so, in a way, Disney really forced our hand.
-Steakhouse 71 was great. I had heard the DIS staff rave about The Wave and then Steakhouse 71 for so long I wanted to see if it held up. I thought it was a really nice lunch.
-We’d already been to MK while we were with the kids so we were very relaxed. We’d stacked multiple Genie+ and had a very pleasant day. Hit all the rides we’d missed on Friday.
-This is where Genie+ really shines. A day in MK, arriving late, stacking G+, not rushing. It’s a very rare set of circumstances but at least there is some time when G+ feels useful.
-I loved Happily Ever After. I’m still bitter that it was replaced so quickly (relative to the snail pace that Disney usually takes revamping nighttime spectaculars). I think Enchantment is a massive step down in narrative, music and execution. I’d still gladly watch it every night and probably cry most of them. Basically impossible to screw up that setting.
-Walked on a couple more rides after the show. Had an opportunity to jump in line for Jungle Cruise right at 9:00. Another time it would’ve been a great chance to be one of the last people in the park but my group was already headed out.
-I walked out of the park at 9:05. Got to the car at Contemporary about 5-10 minutes later. We were back to our rental home before 9:30. I estimate we saved 30 minutes to an hour by not dealing with the TTC. That’s sad. Disney needs to do better.

Tuesday (Epcot, Le Cellier)

-Pretty easy to hit all of the attractions at Epcot. We used G+ to get Test Track and never really looked at it afterward.
-My mom was really feeling all of the walking from the previous days and we got her a wheelchair for the day to give her Achilles a break. It is, at this point, healed as well as it’s going to get. We are starting to believe they made a big mistake by not doing surgery. It appears to have healed incorrectly and we are encouraging her to get opinions on whether a better outcome would be possible with surgery. It’s very difficult to think she may never walk better than this and to imagine how much worse it could get as she gets older.
-Epcot quick service were virtually overrun without a festival going on to disperse the crowds, even on a relatively light day of crowds.
-The walls/billboards are ridiculous and since they’re dragging their feet on construction I can’t imagine how long we will be forced to deal with them.
-We realized we hadn’t booked anything for dinner at Epcot when we were walking out of Steakhouse 71 on Monday. Serendipitously, someone must’ve dropped a 7:00 for 4 at Le Cellier right around that time. I had never placed a high priority on eating there but the rest of the group was for it.
-Le Cellier was really good. I don’t plan to go back, it’s a little pricey for my taste, but it was a good one off experience.
-Because I knew it was likely to be a one off I figured “when in Rome” and ordered the Ribeye. One of the better restaurant steaks I’ve had.
-Could’ve easily split it and ordered an accompaniment and would definitely recommend that to anyone looking for a way to experience Le Cellier without breaking the bank (although I’m a ribeye over filet guy, so take it for what it’s worth).
-Ratatouille, or whatever the ride’s name is, was fine. I think Runaway Railway is a better application of the same technology. I hate 3D glasses on attractions with a passion.
-We watched Harmonious walking to the car. We don’t have the same emotional connection to the Epcot nighttime spectacular as we do to MK and, to a lesser degree, Fantasmic! so we wanted to avoid the stampede and traffic. It worked out well.

That pretty much wraps the trip. It was a great vacation, if unsuccessful racecation.

I’ll be posting about the future and my plans to motivate my training tomorrow and will try to post daily going forward to help stay accountable.

Time to face the music. I've been putting off coming up with a plan because my knees have still not recovered fully; I'm pretty sure coming back to the cold weather has contributed to that pain but I'm not thrilled that this seems like it could be an ongoing issue.

I've never been good at planning based on mileage or time (or planning at all, really). I always miss a workout and rationalize that I'll add the mileage or time in tomorrow or over the next few days, things start piling up, I feel like a failure, and pretty soon I'm doing nothing and planning to restart my training some indefinite time in the future. I'll get it right next time though :sad2:. Tomorrow is a horrible crutch that I use to justify not doing things today.

Ultimately, I'm doing all of this to get healthier and to feel better about myself. I don't know if it's PC anymore to not be body positive at all times but my reality is I want weigh less and be fitter. RunDisney races helped me achieve those goals a long time ago and I think they can again but I need to be more serious in my approach and incentivize different things this time around.

With that in mind I have set up a kind of point system for myself and my training that I will use to determine which race to sign up for at Marathon Weekend 2023. The goal is Dopey, I want to get back across that finish line with a feeling of triumph. The hard part is not knowing when exactly registration is going to be but, based loosely on the idea it will be at the end of April, I have about 3 months to get myself on the right track. Based on that I have devised:

2 points per pound lost (I know its vain, but it really is the most important thing to me)
1 point per 2 miles run
1 point per 30 minutes biked (I had originally put 10 miles, but this feels closer to equivalency with the miles run)

I will be starting mainly on the bike to limit impact while I finish recovery and lose some of the initial weight but will be interspersing it as I go to keep variety. Using this point conversion, my reward schedule is:

Dopey-250 points
Marathon/Goofy-200 points
Half-100 points
Cheerleader-<100 points

Honestly, with my current baseline of fitness being just about 0, I wasn't sure where to put the point totals. These are based mainly on estimates of about how many points I'd receive getting down to a weight where I've finished Dopey and the effort involved in maybe getting there. I want to set that carrot a good distance out in front of me to have something to chase. If I have to amend to avoid unhealthy decisions I will. If nothing else the points will give me something to chase, to accumulate, and to make me feel like I'm on the right track again.

Tomorrow: Weigh-in

For starters, I am not at all surprised by this number. I weighed in over 260 at one point last fall. I’ve been back to being afraid of the scale for a long time now so it’s really been an exercise of seeing just how bad the news is for a while.

I weighed in this morning before having any liquids or food. I didn’t want a post-meal bump in weight to get any “easy” points. I’ll be weighing myself multiple times daily (which I did when I had my best weight loss and training success) to get a feel for how my weight fluctuates throughout the day and whether any techniques like intermittent fasting seem to be beneficial to my metabolism.

I have never taken supplements outside of a daily multivitamin and don’t plan to change. If I want this to be lasting I have to do it on my own.

Relevant-ish Milestones:

235-I have run a sub-3:00 Half at this weight
225-I have finished (unhappily) a Dopey Challenge
195-Highest weight at which I finished a Dopey pleased with myself
177-Lowest sustained weight (in 2014)

I know that I can, while doing so healthfully, eclipse that last number sometime within two years. That is my ultimate goal.

Tomorrow: I’ve got 99 problems but food ain’t…nope, wait…yeah, it’s most of them.

I know that as a society we are trying to get away from body-image issues and I appreciate why you mention that. Regardless, weight is still a significant issue for health and, let's face it, most of us have that level of vanity and societal influences that drive us to want to lose weight. As long as it's done in a healthy manner without resorting to things that are dangerous for us or lead to eating disorders or body image issues, I don't think there's anything wrong with using weight loss as an incentive.

Your milestones and point system seems like a good way to track your progress and motivate yourself, but maybe keep yourself open to making adjustments to them if they turn out to be unrealistic for you. The important thing is that you are making progress. Next MW is a long way off, so I'm confident you can meet your goals and conquer Dopey again!

For starters, I am not at all surprised by this number. I weighed in over 260 at one point last fall. I’ve been back to being afraid of the scale for a long time now so it’s really been an exercise of seeing just how bad the news is for a while.

I weighed in this morning before having any liquids or food. I didn’t want a post-meal bump in weight to get any “easy” points. I’ll be weighing myself multiple times daily (which I did when I had my best weight loss and training success) to get a feel for how my weight fluctuates throughout the day and whether any techniques like intermittent fasting seem to be beneficial to my metabolism.

I have never taken supplements outside of a daily multivitamin and don’t plan to change. If I want this to be lasting I have to do it on my own.

Relevant-ish Milestones:

235-I have run a sub-3:00 Half at this weight
225-I have finished (unhappily) a Dopey Challenge
195-Highest weight at which I finished a Dopey pleased with myself
177-Lowest sustained weight (in 2014)

I know that I can, while doing so healthfully, eclipse that last number sometime within two years. That is my ultimate goal.

Tomorrow: I’ve got 99 problems but food ain’t…nope, wait…yeah, it’s most of them.
It’s nice to see someone else who does multiple weigh-ins each day. Mine are right after waking up and right before going to bed, because it’s a useful tool to see how a particular day’s food and activities impacted me. I record my weight weekly on my training schedule, and any new lows I hit during the week.

I got a fancy Bluetooth scale that connects to an app on my phone and gives me not only the weight, but also calculates a whole host of other things like bone and muscle mass.

I just want to say good luck with your current journey. Like training plans, the steps we take in pursuit of physical improvement are an "experiment of one" and if you believe that this is what will work for you, then that is a lot of the battle. Like @ZellyB says, I hope you're open for adjustments.

Finally got my booster today. I'm not happy it took me this long but unlike the rollout of the vaccine where it was incredibly easy to sign up the first day my age range became eligible I was unaware of where to sign up and get this done. Being that I'm in contact with about 6 people per week at home made it feel relatively unimportant until I realized it would have been nice to have it done before flying to Florida and going to Disney. Now I know where to get it and how to sign up so I can be back to first in line for whatever the next round holds.

Got flights and hotel booked and starting to get excited for my Half in Vegas at the end of February. I've never been so I'm pretty excited for the experience. Training to be ready to not suffer in the Half will help me in getting on track for my Dopey redemption tour. We're planning on The Beatles Cirque du Soleil and one other show. Might be another Cirque, but we're cautiously optimistic the prices may continue going down on some concerts; there's a faint flicker of hope that Adele may even drop into the plausible range (I'm not a huge fan/follower of hers but, at the right price, the experience and story might be worth it). I had been holding out hope that Celine Dion's health issues may have been resolved and a miracle of her booking some of the Vegas dates she had postponed might coincide with our trip, but unfortunately that doesn't look possible anymore.

I'm going to put off the food discussion for another day, just a little tired to logically frame that discussion tonight.

ETA: Looks like Adele is out of consideration as well

Last edited:
E9FB18B4-2198-415A-8901-F0D634A3E2BC.jpeg

Was sitting here today with a little bit of chills and muscle aches (seems to be my standard vaccine reaction) and realized it’s not so bad that relaxing with these two taking turns snuggled next to me is one of my favorite things. I could probably do it a little less, but it’s hard to say no. (Yes, they are couch (and bed and car) dogs. No, I will not apologize for that.)

Going to try and tackle my food issues a little later in the next post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter