• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baton Rogues, LA and New Orleans, LA

Oh ok! Most of my family went to Ursuline (well the girls lol). I have an older 2nd cousin who is actually a nun there. She’s in her 70s & has been there forever so she was probably there then. I went to Immaculata though. I graduated in ‘97 so I’m a little younger. I live in Park Timbers now. I grew up in this general area & my dad did too. My mom grew up in Old Algiers. Small world! There is another poster with Westbank roots on DIS too.
I'm a WB'er from Gretna, but a little older than the two of you.

Ha. Freemont was my try at knowing where I wanted to go without double checking the internet. i meant the French Quarter/Bourbn Street. I’m guessing they are close to each other

I figured it was a "rogue" autocorrect, LOL.

Someone up-thread made a remark about visiting Mike the Tiger. That is fun, if you like tigers &/or college football, but he's hardly the only interesting thing on the LSU campus, which BTW is one of the most beautiful in the United States. (The LSU quadrangle was modeled on the architecture of Stanford University, but LSU's campus is larger., and stunningly landscaped. The first time my DH saw it, he asked me how we ever got any work done in such a distractingly gorgeous environment.) LSU also owns 2 other museums in the city, an art museum downtown on Lafayette St., near the old state capitol, and the Burden Rural Life Museum, on Essen Lane, which is a living history project. Also in that area, Magnolia Mound, a 1791 wooden plantation house that is much older than the typical Victorian plantation homes found elsewhere in Louisiana.

In New Orleans, in between eating and drinking, be sure to visit the Cabildo and Presbytere museums, on either side of St. Louis Cathedral in the Quarter. They have really excellent exhibits on Hurricane Katrina and on the history and culture of Mardi Gras, which you will miss this year, as it is an early year, and your visit will be during Lent. (If you wish to see actual parade floats, take the ferry over to Algiers and tour Mardi Gras World, part of the warehouse complex where Kern Studios builds floats. There are a fair number of examples of Kern Studios' work at WDW, particularly at Port Orleans Resort. They also built quite a few of the props at Islands of Adventure.) Also, for a truly fun local experience, I recommend an evening at the Rock n' Bowl, particularly if you are there on Thursday, because Thursday is Zydeco Night. If you like antiques, the shops on Royal St. in the Quarter, or on Magazine St. uptown, will be must-do destinations. I also second the WW2 museum in the CBD; it is excellent, and very moving.

(And FWIW, I'm not the other WB girl. I grew up in Terrebonne, and lived Uptown for the years I lived in NOLA.)

Someone up-thread made a remark about visiting Mike the Tiger. That is fun, if you like tigers &/or college football, but he's hardly the only interesting thing on the LSU campus, which BTW is one of the most beautiful in the United States. (The LSU quadrangle was modeled on the architecture of Stanford University, but LSU's campus is larger., and stunningly landscaped. The first time my DH saw it, he asked me how we ever got any work done in such a distractingly gorgeous environment.) LSU also owns 2 other museums in the city, an art museum downtown on Lafayette St., near the old state capitol, and the Burden Rural Life Museum, on Essen Lane, which is a living history project. Also in that area, Magnolia Mound, a 1791 wooden plantation house that is much older than the typical Victorian plantation homes found elsewhere in Louisiana.

In New Orleans, in between eating and drinking, be sure to visit the Cabildo and Presbytere museums, on either side of St. Louis Cathedral in the Quarter. They have really excellent exhibits on Hurricane Katrina and on the history and culture of Mardi Gras, which you will miss this year, as it is an early year, and your visit will be during Lent. (If you wish to see actual parade floats, take the ferry over to Algiers and tour Mardi Gras World, part of the warehouse complex where Kern Studios builds floats. There are a fair number of examples of Kern Studios' work at WDW, particularly at Port Orleans Resort. They also built quite a few of the props at Islands of Adventure.) Also, for a truly fun local experience, I recommend an evening at the Rock n' Bowl, particularly if you are there on Thursday, because Thursday is Zydeco Night. If you like antiques, the shops on Royal St. in the Quarter, or on Magazine St. uptown, will be must-do destinations. I also second the WW2 museum in the CBD; it is excellent, and very moving.

(And FWIW, I'm not the other WB girl. I grew up in Terrebonne, and lived Uptown for the years I lived in NOLA.)
Lol! I think her name is @snappy, but I forget if that’s the exact name. I know it when I see it.
FTR, I went to lsu freshman & sophomore yr & then came home for a semester & decided I was going to just finish at UNO. That lasted a semester & I was like I can’t do this. The grounds & environment was one of the main reasons I had to go back. I still feel so at home every time we go back up.

Lol! I think her name is @snappy, but I forget if that’s the exact name. I know it when I see it.
FTR, I went to lsu freshman & sophomore yr & then came home for a semester & decided I was going to just finish at UNO. That lasted a semester & I was like I can’t do this. The grounds & environment was one of the main reasons I had to go back. I still feel so at home every time we go back up.

Spoiled us, didn't it? I worked on campus for 5 years after I graduated, so I spent nearly a decade there. I clearly remember being so aware of it when I took DS on his college tours; no place we went to was even close in terms of just being really pleasant surroundings. (... and don't get me started on the ice cream at the Dairy Store, LOL; though in fairness, I hear that U. Wisconsin's is, in fact, better, which means that's got to be incredibly good!)

Spoiled us, didn't it? I worked on campus for 5 years after I graduated, so I spent nearly a decade there. I clearly remember being so aware of it when I took DS on his college tours; no place we went to was even close in terms of just being really pleasant surroundings. (... and don't get me started on the ice cream at the Dairy Store, LOL; though in fairness, I hear that U. Wisconsin's is, in fact, better, which means that's got to be incredibly good!)
Lol! Our tailgating spot is right by the Dairy Store. I spent almost a decade on campus too...but didn’t work there lol. I did go to grad school though. I have visited most of the SEC schools on football road trips. I think most of them all look the same.

Free Tours By Foot offers a lot of "tip what you want" tours. I've done a few and enjoyed them.

Not sure if I ever posted this, but I had to finish my final semester at LSU thanks to Katrina. We rented a house off Nicholson near Magnolia Mound. I do appreciate that I got to experience a “real campus.”
My 9 year old knows she is going to LSU and has no problem with that! :)

Lol! Our tailgating spot is right by the Dairy Store. I spent almost a decade on campus too...but didn’t work there lol. I did go to grad school though. I have visited most of the SEC schools on football road trips. I think most of them all look the same.

Ok we are going to have to have a dis meet on campus. Husband convinced me to keep our season tickets.

Ok we are going to have to have a dis meet on campus. Husband convinced me to keep our season tickets.
I’m in! We didn’t go to many games last yr since DS is 20 mos. But we kept our tickets & hope to do more games next yr.

Not sure if I ever posted this, but I had to finish my final semester at LSU thanks to Katrina. We rented a house off Nicholson near Magnolia Mound. I do appreciate that I got to experience a “real campus.”
My 9 year old knows she is going to LSU and has no problem with that! :)
So was that 2005/2006? I was in grad school then.

Thanks for the ideas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter