"Because I WANT to, that's why!!"

DISNEY AGAIN- We here that all the time, getting ready to go back in March for us.. Anymore we just don;t tell the inlaws until the day we leave, keeps everbody happy. BY the way this will be our 15th trip....

I actually thought about this overnight. My sister has a similiar situation...not Disney related but in general. She was venting to me about how our Mom and friends feel that they have a say in her decisions. They always tell her what to do....even when she doesn't ask. She commented that those same people don't do that to me. We have the same Mom and friends in common. I told her that I think that they do it because she invites them into her troubles....alot. When she's having DH trouble or when she's stressing about money or when her job stinks....anything....she vents to them. So, when she makes decisions and doesn't ask their opinion, they feel VERY free to offer them. Those same people don't act like that with me.... I tend to keep my stuff to myself. Some might say too much.

Now, OP, I don't know you or whether this might contribute to your problems....just a thought.

I tell people that all year long I'm the adult. I'm a teacher and a parent to 4 kids. Disney is the only place I can be a kid and let all the struggles and stresses of my life go away. I get one week out of the year for this and I'm taking it! Everyone relaxes different ways.

We've just started going to Disney so I'm not getting it too bad yet. As far as money, if I'm paying my bills it shouldn't bother anyone else. I'm investing in memories which is way better than filling a storage shed with junk!

Family & friends that are overstepping their boundaries need to told they're doing so.

I'd remind your mom with a smile that you are a responsible adult with your own family and money and can make your own decisions. What does she know about your financial situation (you don't tell your mom all your financial business, do you?) She should be happy you're able to take your DD, & if you are financially independant from her, it's frankly none of her business how you spend your vacations. The definition of being an adult is being independant of your parents and making your own decisions.

Methinks your friend is jealous, and I'd call her on it. Just a laugh and a "jealous much?" remark should shut her up. If that doesn't work, tell her you didn't ask for her opinion and you don't want it. Repeat as necessary.

Listen, your life is just that--yours. You are doing nothing wrong.:thumbsup2 If you, DH and children are happy & financially secure, don't worry about other people's opinions.

I've done mom-daughter only trips, they're a blast! I think it's a great idea and a great opportunity for your DH and DS to have some quality guy time together, too. Have a great trip w/your daughter!

MaryPat

You should ask them why dont they go more often. LOL!! Anyway Disney is fun but its not for everyone. Maybe theyre jealous cause they cant go. Who knows?

Hope you and your DD have a terrific time just the two of you:goodvibes

You are not crazy! You and your family should enjoy what ever decision you make! Only you know what is best for you and the family!

We do not live close to family any more but when we did, we did not tell them about our trips until a few days before we left. This way we did not have to listen to the negativity!

Now we do not have those worries.

Have fun on your Disney Trip!:hug:

You should ask them why dont they go more often. LOL!! Anyway Disney is fun but its not for everyone. Maybe theyre jealous cause they cant go. Who knows?

Hope you and your DD have a terrific time just the two of you:goodvibes

Be careful with that question! You might find your parents inviting themselves along. :scared1:

I must be lucky.
My parents don't butt into my life at all. And my friends start the old "going again?" routine and all I have to do now is say "Yes and I can't wait" and they don't hassle me about it anymore. :banana:

Well would they have that reaction if you said you were taking her skiing? Or on a cruise. Probably not. Its something about Disney that brings the evil resentments out of them. I think its just being jealous that they do not/would not take their families there every year.
My feeling is this...ask these questions...
1-Do I ask you to pay my bills? NO
2- Do I come to you crying about my debts? NO
3-Did I ask you to pay for any of my trip? NO

Therefore dont make a negative comment about how I(You) chose to spend money.

After all I bet you make little commets about how they spend their money. And to your friend I would say this..."Yes we ARE going again. Because there were things we missed last time because you walked to slow and we ran out of time. ";) :rolleyes1
Works for me anyway...LOL

Let me just add... You are NOT alone on this one. We go once a year....No more~ and we get the whole.. "gosh and golly you all go a lot.." also. We also get the "theres other places to go out in this world than Disney world". We have a 9 year old and a 3 year old.. It works for us with them. I think people feel like those people wish they had a place that was so cool that they could call their "Happy place".
We enjoy it and thats it.. end of story~ Let them wallow in their comments and bitterness if they want.. Im goin to DISNEYWORLD! =O)

Well OBVIOUSLY, no question about it, if your friend (whose previous trip you paid for) is JEALOUS if she has anything snarky to say to you about it.

As for your parents, I can see it 2 possible ways -- either they are big huge savers and set for life as they approach retirement age and your mom doesn't understand how you can spend money enjoying life now when you could be saving it for 30 years down the road (regardless of how much you already have in savings, 401K, investments, etc).

OR

They don't have enough money to retire anytime soon and are wishing they had put more money back throughout the years, and they are trying to instill this in you while you are still relatively young. :confused3

Either way, there is nothing wrong with taking your DD to Disney, especially if your DS has needed more attention lately. And it sounds like you guys are being more than fair by DH taking the week off for *buddy time* (so cute, pp). These are their issues, not yours!!! Have a ball!

My mother tries to overstep her boundaries w/ me all the time. I am 37, married with a dd 6 and a ds 4. The key word is "tries". ;) Once I learned (and it was not easy) to disregard her unsolicited opinions and live my life for myself and my family, I became a much happier person. :hug:

Be careful with that question! You might find your parents inviting themselves along. :scared1:

I must be lucky.
My parents don't butt into my life at all. And my friends start the old "going again?" routine and all I have to do now is say "Yes and I can't wait" and they don't hassle me about it anymore. :banana:

My DH family has no desire to go to Disney and if my parents came along they would pay for most of our things so I wouldnt mind that lol

You are taking the trip for all of the right reasons. Your DH and DS have a special week planned, why can't you take a girls trip? DS didn't want to go, you're not making him! Forget what they are saying. Tell anyone that can't support you that you have your reasons to go and it's not up to them to make the decision for you. It sounds like you have a very stressful time ahead and you need a break from the insanity just as much as you need to spend time with your daughter. WDW can provide that for both of you, in different ways, at the same time. You'll get time away, she'll get a great vacation and special mommy and me memories, you'll get new memories of your own. I don't think you can lose in this situation. You're not vacationing for anyone else but yourself and your daughter.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just wanted to let you know I would be away. I wasn't asking for your opinion."

Everytime we talk to my father in law he tries to talk us out of our trip! He's worried because it is so expensive. umm..butt out! In the 5 years DH and I have been together this is the first big family vacation we have done. we are staying in timeshare off property and being conservative with dining choice. We expect to pay $3000 total for the trip. And that is doing everythign we want to do and having a decent amount of discretionary spending! For a family of 5 for 7 days, I say that is not too bad!

This thread is too funny, because I didn't read it and basically just posted the same problem. lol. My mil grills me every time we go anywhere... "how much is it going to cost you? Are you really sure you should be doing that? I don't think you can really afford to be doing this....." She wants to know EXACTLY how much it's going to cost me every time I go (once a year). It's none of her business how much it costs me! I wouldn't go if I couldn't afford it. I'm not putting it on a credit card and being completely irresponsible. The funny thing is that she has no idea how much money we make... She does however know how much money my sil makes and stays completely out of their business when they want to go on 5 trips a year with their family... but my family (who makes exactly the same amount as sil) goes to WDW once a year and she freaks out.

Your headline says it all "because I want to." And that is really the only opinion (other than DH) that counts! Actually in light of circumstances you described earlier, I think your plan to let each of the kids have undivided attention from a parent is brilliant. Have fun!

You: "I'm taking my daughter to Disney"

Other: "Again!"

You: "What? No good?"

Other: "You're going too much!"

You: "I'm sorry I ruined your day"

Other: "You didn't ruin my day"

You: "Then why do you care?"

Other: just realized they are a ******* for butting, unsolicted, into your life

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter