Becca's Wish Trip........Update:September 2011.....Photo's....Sorta :)

llurgy

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
We are in the early stages of a M-A-W trip, maybe I shouldnt even be posting yet but I cant wait!:cloud9:
I am so excited for my Daughter! We have just be told today via a phone call that our 12 year old daughter Rebecca has qualified for a Wish.

We haven't a date yet, in fact we haven't even been assigned volunteers yet but we don't care, she has a WISH!

All this started only last week when I asked a question about certain booking dates for WDW on the planning forum. Becca has some disabilities and so we were wanting to go at the quietest part of the year so she wouldn't have to spend all of her precious energy waiting in lines. Several people suggested we try to get her a wish, I just pooh-poohed the idea as not being conceivable but after a neighbour suggested the same thing I thought well it cant hurt to try.
I filled out an online referral last Thursday night and I received a reply on Friday morning asking for more detailed info.
I sent more info and received a phone call on the following Monday saying that she had gotten through the pre-screening process and now it would be dependant on what information our Doctor supplied them with as far as qualifying.
They sent forms out for medical information release on Wednesday, they were filled in and sent back by yesterdays mail. They must have received it this morning, faxed it to our Doctor, he must have written his referral and faxed it straight back as we got a phone call this afternoon telling us that she had qualified for a Wish! Whew speedy or what??

We now have to wait 2 to 4 weeks for our volunteers to come visiting :)

A little bit of background on Becca.

She was 3 years old when we started thinking something wasnt quite right. She was never an energetic child and started to walk quite late, we just thought she was a little lazy. Instead of doing more and more walking, she seemed to do less as she became tired quite quickly.
In the summer of 1999 just a few months after her 3rd birthday she finished up in hospital for a few weeks with Pneumonia. She would have been released after about a week but they wouldnt let her go because her O2 levels wouldnt go up past 94%. After the second week they finally let her home after making an appointment for the week after to have an heart echo.

We went for the echo and nothing was found and it kinda got left at that for a while.

Fast-forward to January 2000. We found her nearly unconscious on the floor at the side of her bed. We rushed her to the local Hospital where they immediately transfered her to the nearest big Hospital in Columbus Ohio because her O2 counted was only 70% and she wasnt responding to supplemental oxygen. They would have air lifted her but we had a snowstorm happening and the helicopter wasnt flying so we had to slip and slide the 90 miles there in an ambulance on an empty interstate, it was scary, all the sensible people were not out on the roads that night.

After 3 weeks in hospital with the Docs scratching their heads we finally got a diagnosis.
Rebecca was diagnosed with HHT a genetic disease, you can find out about it just by doing a search on Google now, but then there was hardly anything written about it at all, only one doctor in the hospital had even heard of it and they had no idea what to do with Becca.

Becca presents with malformations in her lungs. Basically when her blood is pumped through her heart into her lungs if it passes through one of these malformations it short circuits straight back into her heart. The blood doesn't pick up Oxygen and neither does it get filtered. She has hundreds of these malformations all over her lungs. They have already blocked up the large ones but there are so many tiny diffuse ones that they can only work on a very select few. She has undergone 3 procedures to try and bring up her oxygen levels, she has had the bottom segment of her right lung totally blocked off as that segment and nearly all malformations and hardly any workable lung.

In the years that have passed her O2 saturations have steadily declined, she is now hovering about 72% when laying down and just under 70% when upright.
Her blood has thickened and she is now at severe risk from Blood clots and abscesses on the brain so she has to have antibiotics for every little thing like going to the dentists etc.

She is now homeschooled. She did go to school but it was too much for her energy levels so she started to go 1/2 day only. She is quite immune suppressed and takes ages to get over any little sickness. She was spending so much time sick from school that we finally have to pull her out and the school provided a tutor in home.
The tutor just wasnt enough (only 1 hour per day) so we finally gave up on it and I started homeschooling.
At home Becca looks like any other girl her age, bar being a bit on the blue colored side and very skinny (she only weighs 57lb bless her) but when we go out we have to take the wheelchair everywhere we go, even to Walmart. Oxygen goes everywhere we go also. The Oxygen doesnt give her more oxygen, it just makes it easier to get if she goes into distress.

Becca knows she is going to WDW, we told her we had applied for a wish and she knew where she might be staying if the wish came through.
When we told her about GKTW village all she said was ""Oh great I can make some friends there!"" She is quite lonely bless her, we live very rural and because she doesnt attend school she has only very few friends whom accept the fact that she cant run r even walk for a long time and the fact that she cant play in the heat *** it makes her sick.
I dont even think that she cares about Disney as much as she cares about staying in the Village.

I think I have written a book!! Sorry, its probably more than anyone would want to know, I got carried away.

I am sure that I am going to have loads and loads of questions.
Till next time
Mandy

I am so happy you were granted a wish. I hope you guys have the most magical time ever. Your daughter so deserves this

Question:

Has anyone on a Make-A-Wish trip not gone to their destination via plane?

I have read loads of trip reports and it seems that everyone has flown to their trip destination.
We have been told that to make sure that Becca can cope with the cabin pressure she would have to be tested in an anearobaric chamber first. We would also have to have oxygen on the plane and once we got there. Because of this we were going to drive and in fact driving is preferable so we dont have to think about what may happen.

So, has anyone driven the Make-A-Wish journey?
We live in Ohio so I am talking about around a 1000 miles.

Mandy

I'm so glad Becca is going on a Wish trip! She certainly deserves it after all she's been through.

Becca is not a Princess kind of a girl, she says she doesnt want to go to any character meals. I quizzed her some more and she said that she may go to a character meal if there was a Monsters Inc one with Mike Thingy-ski and Scully.
Do they have Monsters Inc Character meals?

Mandy

I am so glad Becca got her wish! You are going to have a wonderful trip.

Wish I knew the answer about driving, but I would think there have been other children unable to fly.

I don't believe there are any character meals with the Monster Inc guys, but she can meet them in HS and also see the Laugh Floor. She will probably love that.

Since she is not interested in character meals, I would let her look in a planning guide or there are several websites that describe the restaurants available at WDW and let her pick out some. How old is she?

I am looking forward to hearing about your planning and then also your trip!

I am so glad Becca got her wish! You are going to have a wonderful trip.

Wish I knew the answer about driving, but I would think there have been other children unable to fly.

I don't believe there are any character meals with the Monster Inc guys, but she can meet them in HS and also see the Laugh Floor. She will probably love that.

Since she is not interested in character meals, I would let her look in a planning guide or there are several websites that describe the restaurants available at WDW and let her pick out some. How old is she?

I am looking forward to hearing about your planning and then also your trip!

Thank you,
I didnt think they did meals because did try and find if there was character dining and I wasnt coming up with anything. You confirmed it for me.

She is 12 years old and because of her hypoglycemia she has to eat little but often. She enjoys a good Filet and loves mozzarella sticks and quesadilla's. Doesnt like Fries....LOL:laughing:

Congrats on the wish trip! We are going on ours next month! Don't apologize for all the details- I love all the details!

We are flying on our trip but I know there are others who have driven. I can't wait to hear all of your plans.

Carol

Congrats on the wish trip! We are going on ours next month! Don't apologize for all the details- I love all the details!

We are flying on our trip but I know there are others who have driven. I can't wait to hear all of your plans.

Carol

Carol,
I have read your wish trip, your life sounds very busy with your 4 boys, I can tell your worship them and your DH.
I cant wait to hear more and Nathan is a cutie :)

I thought we had better introduce ourselves :)

This is my Darling Hubbie David (47 years old) and Myself (44 years old)
DavidandI.jpg

The is the Star of the show and our small family, Becca (12 years old)
HappyBecca.jpg

Becca at Cabela's posing in a Davy Crockett hat
Cabelas.jpg

We have a Baby Jogger Stroller for walking on trails and such. Becca cant do a lot of walking and we were becoming really "un-fit" as a result of it so we invested in the stroller so we could enjoy the great outdoors once again. It enables Becca to do the bit of walking she can do and gives her somewhere to collapse when done...LOL.
Becca and Daddy
TheBuggyJogger.jpg

Becca pretending she had walked to the 4 mile post marker
Rebeccapretending.jpg

Me not pretending
Menotpretending.jpg

So thats our little family. We moved over to the States from England in 1999 so we haven't any family over here, consequently we are very close. This will be the first vacation we have been on since landing in the states all those years ago. The plan was to visit England every couple of years but because of Becca's illness we only managed to go back once in 2000. We miss family from home but are grateful that DH's Mum comes over once a year to visit.

Mandy

What a great smile Becca has! She is beautiful. Obviously you are due a great family vacation after all those years. Looking forward to reading a TR!
Melissa

I just stumbled across your TR and I am definitely on board to hear all about your journey! I love reading about WISH trips and GKTW really does look like an awesome place to stay. I know that Becca said that she didn't want to do character meals, but you should see if maybe she would be interested in just one with Mickey and friends! They are so much fun- and this is from a 27 year old with no kids :goodvibes I also read where Becca likes Monster Inc, and since I am headed down to the World in a few days, I was wondering if you would like a postcard mailed to her with their autographs?? I love that movie also, and I thought it might be a nice little surprise for her!

Best of luck planning and I can't wait to hear more!!! :thumbsup2

I just stumbled across your TR and I am definitely on board to hear all about your journey! I love reading about WISH trips and GKTW really does look like an awesome place to stay. I know that Becca said that she didn't want to do character meals, but you should see if maybe she would be interested in just one with Mickey and friends! They are so much fun- and this is from a 27 year old with no kids :goodvibes I also read where Becca likes Monster Inc, and since I am headed down to the World in a few days, I was wondering if you would like a postcard mailed to her with their autographs?? I love that movie also, and I thought it might be a nice little surprise for her!

Best of luck planning and I can't wait to hear more!!! :thumbsup2

Oh!! HOW KIND OF YOU!! That would be just Awesome for her.

Is the Mickey and Friends CM at Chrystal Palace?? She does like Goofy and Pluto so maybe she would go for that one. LOL!! She is the proverbial Tomboy in all of her toys except for her plush animals. But even in the plushes she has bats and spiders and dinosaurs, only very few Teddies. She looked at me in disgust when I asked her if she would like to meet any Princesses at a CM:rotfl:

I will shoot you a PM with my mailing address if the offer for the postcard is still open.

You have a great trip to Disney you kid at heart you :goodvibes

Mandy

The offer is definitely still open, just send me a PM with your address. Mickey and friends appear at Chef Mickey's, Cape May, and Mickey appears with Stitch and Pluto at O'Hana. She might really like O'Hana for bfast since Stitch seems more up her alley! Plus, at O'Hana they bring the food to your table so there would be no getting up to get plates of food for you guys. Chef Mickey's has Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Donald, but it has usually hard to get into the closer your trip gets.

Definetely NOT too much information!! We love lots of details around here!! I second the Chef Mickey and Ohana recommendations! I have never actually BEEN to Ohana's but it looks like so much fun from what I've read!!! How does she feel about ugly stepsisters?? They are at 1900 Park Fare, and are TONS of fun!!!!! Cinderella is there too, but I think most people go for the stepsisters! :rotfl2: I wrote about it in my TR ,if you want to read it. :thumbsup2 (the Wickedness installment).

How long does it usually take to get your dates when you've been approved?

Definetely NOT too much information!! We love lots of details around here!! I second the Chef Mickey and Ohana recommendations! I have never actually BEEN to Ohana's but it looks like so much fun from what I've read!!! How does she feel about ugly stepsisters?? They are at 1900 Park Fare, and are TONS of fun!!!!! Cinderella is there too, but I think most people go for the stepsisters! :rotfl2: I wrote about it in my TR ,if you want to read it. :thumbsup2 (the Wickedness installment).

How long does it usually take to get your dates when you've been approved?

I will definately look into the Chef Mickey and the Ohana, thanks.

I will read your wish trip tomorrow, its gone midnight now and I have to home-school in the AM......though she has been getting up rather late these past few mornings (I think she may be coming down with something) so I may get a good couple of hours 'me' time in the morning.

Just to be sure, is it the link that says "A sort of Trip Report" in your sig?

The person from M-A-W said that it could take about 2 to 4 weeks to be assigned volunteers and then it could be as long again to get dates. But then she also said that depending on the availability of volunteers and GKTW vacancies we could get everything done in 4 weeks.......So.......I guess its just wait and see what happens. I will be grateful as long as we get to go this winter as we think she wont be able to enjoy it in another year. Her energy has gone down in tandem with her oxygen saturations in the 8 years since she has been diagnosed, she is able to do less and less each year.

Mandy

The offer is definitely still open, just send me a PM with your address. Mickey and friends appear at Chef Mickey's, Cape May, and Mickey appears with Stitch and Pluto at O'Hana. She might really like O'Hana for bfast since Stitch seems more up her alley! Plus, at O'Hana they bring the food to your table so there would be no getting up to get plates of food for you guys. Chef Mickey's has Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Donald, but it has usually hard to get into the closer your trip gets.

We will probably go for the O'Hana. I will look at reviews and info at both places tomorrow. I need to find out how late they do breakfasts, or if they do lunches.

Becca is not a morning person so we have to accommodate with having late starts. She can get up but if we wake her too early she runs out of energy far earlier in the day than if we had just let her get the rest her body demands. If we dont rush her out of bed in a morning she can usually plod through the day and make it into late evening.....Get her out of bed too early and she has crashed by lunchtime the poor love. She will be p'eed at us if we do that:laughing:

I will definately look into the Chef Mickey and the Ohana, thanks.

I will read your wish trip tomorrow, its gone midnight now and I have to home-school in the AM......though she has been getting up rather late these past few mornings (I think she may be coming down with something) so I may get a good couple of hours 'me' time in the morning.

Just to be sure, is it the link that says "A sort of Trip Report" in your sig?

The person from M-A-W said that it could take about 2 to 4 weeks to be assigned volunteers and then it could be as long again to get dates. But then she also said that depending on the availability of volunteers and GKTW vacancies we could get everything done in 4 weeks.......So.......I guess its just wait and see what happens. I will be grateful as long as we get to go this winter as we think she wont be able to enjoy it in another year. Her energy has gone down in tandem with her oxygen saturations in the 8 years since she has been diagnosed, she is able to do less and less each year.

Mandy

The soto of a trip report is a TR, but not the one with 1900 Park Fare, that one is the purple "Diser Sistas" button. But, you can read both if you want. The first one is only one page long.

We will probably go for the O'Hana. I will look at reviews and info at both places tomorrow. I need to find out how late they do breakfasts, or if they do lunches.

Becca is not a morning person so we have to accommodate with having late starts. She can get up but if we wake her too early she runs out of energy far earlier in the day than if we had just let her get the rest her body demands. If we dont rush her out of bed in a morning she can usually plod through the day and make it into late evening.....Get her out of bed too early and she has crashed by lunchtime the poor love. She will be p'eed at us if we do that:laughing:
I found this information for you:
Ohana's Character Breakfast: 7:30am - 11:00am
Chef Mickey- Breakfast Buffet: Breakfast (7:00 am - 11:30 am)
Dinner Buffet: Adult (5:00pm - 9:30 pm

This page has links to the different character meals:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/Just_for_kids/character_dining.cfm

Just found your PTR and I am loving it! Becca is an amazing girl! We will be at GKTW Jan 19 to 25, I have a 12 year old daughter too and I know that she would love to be Becca's friend! Maybe we will luck out and be there at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter