Bed Bugs?!?!?!?!

Where, when...

And with the banning of several fairly lethal insecticides, I'm afraid, we'll be hearing more about them in the future.

On another forum someone had written a recent trip report. They had two rooms at the Wilderness Lodge. One room had bed bugs. :eek:

I immediately went to google to find out about bed bugs. Man, they're hard to get rid of. Yck! I most definitely will be checking the beds from now on.

They have been making the rounds for years. Just check the headboard and mattresses, don't put luggage on the bed. That is pretty standard.

We bring a small flashlight and I have DH wait outside the door with the kids/luggage while I pull back the sheets and check behind the headboard, etc. -- so far I have never seen a bedbug and hope I never do!!!

My sister and I are staying at the AS movies resort in a couple weeks!:eek: Yikes! I told her about the story when I saw it a few days ago on the Dis home page and she insisted you can't see them. Good to know that you can and we WILL be checking for sure! I'll post a report on the resort thread if we find any and let you know how Disney handles it. Unless, of course, they offer me 5K. :rotfl2:

We bring a small flashlight and I have DH wait outside the door with the kids/luggage while I pull back the sheets and check behind the headboard, etc. -- so far I have never seen a bedbug and hope I never do!!!

That's a good tip. So is the tip about not putting luggage on the bed. I usually do.

I saw a report a few years back on TV about bedbugs, which talked about not putting the luggage on the bed. Put suitcases on the luggage rack thing that is provided. :) (or on the floor, I guess - just not on bed).

Can you actually see them with the naked eye?

Yes. I believe they are supposed to be the size of ladybugs (maybe not quite), but you can see them. If you look on headboards or the mattress, you'd see their droppings and such, spots.

I've never seen them in person. But it can happen anywhere, at any level of hotel.

Don't even put luggage on the floor! Those buggers get around on the floor pretty easily. Store on them on the rack or in the case of like Pop Century, there is a shelf above the hanging area.

There are companies out there that can eliminate this problem from a room rather well and I'm sure that Disney has a service such as Ecolab. Most major hotel chains have companies such as this to make sure their properties aren't overrun with these little creatures...

http://www.ecolab.com/Businesses/Pest/BedBugs.asp?nav=home

Is there something I can bring with me if it happens or I simply yell HELP!!!!:confused3

Oh my god, I'm freaking out here, does anyone knows if Disney have Ecolab check out the resorts.

I wasn't sure about the floor! I usually have very little luggage to even worry about. I generally stick it on the chairs, but not the bed. :)

I'm sure Disney has a company. Since bed bugs are much more prominent in other countries and Disney has such a variety of visitors, they probably have no choice but to exterminate on a regular basis.

They're creepy to think about, and the web sites talking about them and showing pictures make them sound/look nasty. But like everything at Disney that is kept to a higher standard, I'm sure room exterminations are, too. This is one of a very few isolated cases I've heard of on the boards (this is only the 2nd one I've ever heard of) and if they didn't have a process in place I'm sure we'd here of a lot more.

a bed bug is a micro bug and can not be seen by the naked eye. they live and thrive in mattresses etc that are older and have not been cleaned on a regular bases including sheets pillow cases and area around the bed. they live there because of us Humans shedding our skin daily while we twist and turn in the night depositing our dead skin into the sheets and subsequent mattress. Once there they they thrive on this. It is said that over the life time of a mattress; the matress can substantialy weigh more because of the mulitplying bed bugs living and dead and also from the fecis they deposit over the life time of the matress. That is why it is important to shange and clean your sheets pillow cases and matress. Which I'm sure Disney does. So not to worry. If you find you or your children are suffering from alergies etc especially during the night or early morning you may be alergic to their fecis and maybe you should think about getting a new matress or having it cleaned. :eek:

a bed bug is a micro bug and can not be seen by the naked eye. they live and thrive in mattresses etc that are older and have not been cleaned on a regular bases including sheets pillow cases and area around the bed. they live there because of us Humans shedding our skin daily while we twist and turn:

Those are dust mites.

Bed bugs can be seen, and they bite.

a bed bug is a micro bug and can not be seen by the naked eye. they live and thrive in mattresses etc that are older and have not been cleaned on a regular bases including sheets pillow cases and area around the bed. they live there because of us Humans shedding our skin daily while we twist and turn in the night depositing our dead skin into the sheets and subsequent mattress. Once there they they thrive on this. It is said that over the life time of a mattress; the matress can substantialy weigh more because of the mulitplying bed bugs living and dead and also from the fecis they deposit over the life time of the matress. That is why it is important to shange and clean your sheets pillow cases and matress. Which I'm sure Disney does. So not to worry. If you find you or your children are suffering from alergies etc especially during the night or early morning you may be alergic to their fecis and maybe you should think about getting a new matress or having it cleaned. :eek:

I think you are talking about dust mites. They feed on the dead skin cells we shed. Bed bugs feed of the blood of mammals (humans, dogs, ect...) They CAN be seen with the human eye but are nocturnal so they are harder to spot in the day. I googled bed bugs and found this website from Harvard to be very informative
http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/pes_bedbug.shtml

There are plenty of informative website out there to educate consumers. Now if I can just stop itching from all this talk..... :rotfl:

Yep, you definitely have dust mites and bed bugs confused. I wish bed bugs were just micro bugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter