Bed Bugs?!?!?!?!

I wasn't sure about the floor! I usually have very little luggage to even worry about. I generally stick it on the chairs, but not the bed. :)

They can get in upholstered chairs too...so any hard surface would be best until you get a chance to check things out.

There was an article in the New Yorker a while back about this. In apartment buildings in NYC it's becoming more and more of a problem. I think it's just as John or Kevin described it on the podcast - cyclical.

If you browse on some of the travel sites (I remember seeing a report on this on a USAToday travel blog), you'll probably confirm exactly what the crew said. The only thing that really surprised me about this report is that it's taken this long for it to show up/be reported in Orlando. I would have thought this would have shown up much earlier.

There was an article in the New Yorker a while back about this. In apartment buildings in NYC it's becoming more and more of a problem. I think it's just as John or Kevin described it on the podcast - cyclical.

Sort of.

Bed bugs were eradicated from the U.S. in the 1950's by use of DDT, IIRC, but they were not eradicated in other countries, especially Asia and parts of Europe. The "cyclical" outbreaks have occurred in cities such as San Francisco, New York, and L. A. because they are major ports of entry for immigrants and tourist from the countries where bed bugs still exist.

The reason you shouldn't put your luggage on the bed is because the way they enter this country is not on people but in their luggage. If they get in foreign tourist luggage and infest the beds, they will get in your luggage if it is placed on an infested bed and infest your home when you get back from your vacation.

There are pesticides available today that will kill bed bugs, but they aren't available to the public and are only available to professionals. That is why specialty exterminators, such as Ecolab, are used when bed bugs are discovered. They can be controlled, but it is more difficult with the pesticides that are available today than with DDT.

BTW, the mature bed bug is up to 1/8" in length and brown in color with thin stripes on its back and easily seen. The young bed bug is semi-transparent and amber in color.

I have heard of issues with even professionals having a hard time getting rid of them. (one particular story I read was about a homeowner who brought them home in their luggage, and it was a LOT of work to get the bugs out of the house).

On another forum someone had written a recent trip report. They had two rooms at the Wilderness Lodge. One room had bed bugs. :eek:

I immediately went to google to find out about bed bugs. Man, they're hard to get rid of. Yck! I most definitely will be checking the beds from now on.

:sad2: :scared: We leave for WL next week. I just got off the phone with a cm and they said that the report was for All Star resort and "it was never a confirmed case" . :confused:

I know I posted info on another thread but what we/I do is buy a zipping plastic bed mattress cover and new linens to use on hotel beds.(I have done this for years), After my stay I throw everything away. Since it's winter and we will most likely have sub zero temps when I get back in mid Feb, I will keep all of our luggage outside for a few days to kill any potential lurkers. I'm not sure I would normally keep our luggage outside but since there is a problem, confirmed or not, I'm not taking chances. Bed bugs are NOT my idea of souvenirs.:rotfl:

I love the "not-comfirmed" thing.

I really think that the problem here is sweeping it under the rug (not the bugs). Bedbugs are semi-common now, I do think there needs to be education from hotels on how to spot them. Housekeepers can certainly do part of the job, I'd rather they do that then make towel animals. But just by checking headboards and mattresses, that takes a couple of minutes and would go a long way to not getting infested.

I love the "not-comfirmed" thing.

:rotfl2: Just had to call back because I forgot to confirm that we have bunk beds and the view. I asked this CM if he had heard anything. He laughed, just said "no" and then "is there anything else I can help you with" :rotfl2: He obviously did not want to address it any further.

:rotfl2: Just had to call back because I forgot to confirm that we have bunk beds and the view. I asked this CM if he had heard anything. He laughed, just said "no" and then "is there anything else I can help you with" :rotfl2: He obviously did not want to address it any further.

You should add "bed-bug free" to your requests. :)

"Courtyard view, bunk bed, no bugs please"!

After reading this thread, I did some searching on google and found MSNBC did a report about bedbugs (not Disney resorts) ... in the article on page 2 is a link to a video that shows them searching hotels, what to look for and what bed bugs look like and what their poop looks like... if you are worried and aren't sure what to look for I suggest clicking that video link and watching the story.
From what I could see from the video, bed bugs are about the size of a small roach

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11916682/

:sad2: :scared: We leave for WL next week. I just got off the phone with a cm and they said that the report was for All Star resort and "it was never a confirmed case" . :confused:

I know I posted info on another thread but what we/I do is buy a zipping plastic bed mattress cover and new linens to use on hotel beds.(I have done this for years), After my stay I throw everything away. Since it's winter and we will most likely have sub zero temps when I get back in mid Feb, I will keep all of our luggage outside for a few days to kill any potential lurkers. I'm not sure I would normally keep our luggage outside but since there is a problem, confirmed or not, I'm not taking chances. Bed bugs are NOT my idea of souvenirs.:rotfl:

I like the idea of throw away linens.However leaving your luggage outside is most likely not going to have any affect on these or any other bug. Its not that they survive well in the cold-its getting it cold enough, fast enough for a long enough time so they don't have a chance to get insulated from the cold.

I like the idea of throw away linens.However leaving your luggage outside is most likely not going to have any affect on these or any other bug. Its not that they survive well in the cold-its getting it cold enough, fast enough for a long enough time so they don't have a chance to get insulated from the cold.

Here is a great tip sheet I found on About.com on how to avoid and control the issue.

Best suggestion, separating clothes for each day and sealing them in a zip lock bag and then returning them to a zip lock bag when dirty so it will be easier to wash once you return home.

For us, items will remain outside until they are able to be washed. Current temp, a balmy -12 F.

Wondering how to avoid bedbugs when traveling and while staying in hotels?

Google your hotel’s name and “bedbugs” and “bed bugs”; if you haven’t chosen one yet, look them up on tripadvisor.com or hotelchatter.com. There, customers review hotels. If they had bad service, a small, outdated room, or (gasp!) bedbugs, you’ll hear about it. If you see one nasty report, of course, take it with a grain of salt. But multiple bad reviews, or reviews which repeat a particular critique, can be bad news. I have used tripadvisor many times and find the reviews useful not just to reassure me there are no bed bug reports at a hotel, but also to find good, moderately priced hotels, and a real insight into what rooms and service and location are like. Their highest ranked hotels are not always expensive and I have been very pleased when I have chosen them.

Some sufferers suggest purchasing a bottle of Kleenfree and using it in your hotel (spray mattress, etc.) I personally would not do this; Kleen free kills bed bugs you can see–if they’re sprayed directly. (If you can see bed bugs, you should not be in the room! Leave! Insist on a bed bug free room, and take precautions when you get home to make sure you did not bring bed bugs home.)

Learn specific steps for checking a hotel room for bed bugs. This CBC Marketplace report on bed bugs is long (15 minutes or so) but is a must-see for learning about bed bugs in general and learning how to search a hotel room for bed bugs. Keep your luggage on the luggage rack (not bed or floor); first check to see the luggage rack is free of pests (look at it from top to bottom, and under the straps). Check the mattress, headboard, frame and pictures (as much as possible), following these instructions.

You might want to use hard-sided luggage, if possible without zippers. Bedbugs love cloth and they are so thin zippers won’t keep them out. To be extra safe, seal your items in an XL ziploc bag inside the suitcase; in the hotel, keep the ziploc sealed. (If it isn’t air-tight, it is not bug-safe.) I like travel Space Bags, which zip and then roll to eliminate excess air. It means you can pack a lot more stuff in a smaller case, which makes the case heavy but easy to manipulate. Or you can leave some room in a larger case for bringing things home.

Ottawa PCO David Saunders suggests leaving luggage in your car and then doing laundry offsite before going home (source).

When you get home, visually inspect your suitcase and contents. Do not unpack your suitcase on the bed. Choose a light colored table or even the tub, so you can see what you’ve got. Do it quickly, in case there are any bed bugs inside. Remove all clothes into XL ziplocs and seal them until they can be washed and dried on hot or dry cleaned. You should do this when you come home from a trip whether you’ve encountered bed bugs or not. If you have encountered bed bugs, seal the suitcase up in a bag and throw it away.

If you haven’t seen signs of bugs, just unpack directly into a washing machine (wash and dry on hot hot hot). Deal with the case, too: you may not see young bed bugs. If you have some kind of bedbug approved pesticide, use it. Kleen-free (linked above) sprayed all over the suitcase is a good option. Or sealing it in a bag and freezing it for a few weeks might be an option for some.

Most of all, don’t stay home. The world is a beautiful place. You can get bedbugs without leaving your home if someone else’s home is attached. So get out there and enjoy the world. But be careful out there.

For more helpful tips, click to download this PDF of this comprehensive article by entomologists Steven Kells and Jeff Hahn of the University of Minnesota, which describes the steps you should take if you’ve been exposed to bed bugs (but is also helpful on how to search for and avoid them in the first place).

Here are some beatifull :-)eek: ) photo's.

250px-Cimex_lectularius.jpg

bed-bug-1-400.jpg

Wow! I think I'm going to be sick. Reading all of this is making me itch:eek: I'm definitely going to be paranoid and thorough when checking rooms from now on.

Disney's housekeeping is not what it used to be. We stayyed in builing 1 of POFQ on the 3rd floor & it appeared not to have been as thouroughly cleaned as other rooms at POFQ I've stayed in.(Sheets had dirt crumbs, corners of bathroom had dirt & hair)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter