Been to the movies post Covid?

Public, no, but for a friend's birthday a few of us rented out a theater for a private showing and then all sat apart. I wouldn't go to one open to the public yet.

I went once, but there were not any new movies out yet. We saw The Fast and The Furious. There was no one in the lobby and two other people in the theater, on the other side of the auditorium than we were. Felt totally safe. Not sure I would go to a more crowded show though. We reserve seats in advance, and I know going in that there would only be a couple of people in there.

I went once, but there were not any new movies out yet. We saw The Fast and The Furious. There was no one in the lobby and two other people in the theater, on the other side of the auditorium than we were. Felt totally safe. Not sure I would go to a more crowded show though. We reserve seats in advance, and I know going in that there would only be a couple of people in there.
To add to this though, Saturday evening I drove by our theater, with 18 screens. They are showing I think 10 films right now. They were way less cars in that parking lot than the bar/restaurant across the street. I would feel much safer in the theater than dining there.

Saw Tenet over Labor Day. Theater was spacing groups, but spacing was your party, one empty seat, the next party. So, a row of 12 seats could have six people in it (six single participants), or up to ten with empty seats at each end I guess. Had to wear a mask unless you were eating, but most people eat popcorn throughout a movie. Theater was about 30-40 percent full. It was a large theater. However, they tried to accommodate everone's viewing habits and the upper part of the theater had more people than the lower part. I did not see/notice special cleaning being done, but we left fairly quickly after the end. I went with my college aged kids. My wife wouldn't attend I don't think.

Yes, and those minimum wage employees are supposed to monitor and make patrons put on their mask after a period of time, so they don't sit through a whole two hour movie eating one popcorn kernel at a time, to try to get out of wearing a mask when not eating. Soooo NOT going to happen. Pre-pandemic, they didn't remove people talking LOUDLY throughout a movie when people complained, or those who sit with a baby crying throughout the whole movie. They won't do anything about those who won't wear masks. Especially if someone may go ballistic on them. :duck: They might motion to a person to pull up their mask, for those that truly forget. But, if a person doesn't comply, I don't think they will enforce it.

Now THIS is what is needed to force people to wear their masks while watching the movies: :thumbsup2 (You can actually click on the video.)

:rotfl:

Theaters closed in my community.

Will drive about a half hour to see Tenet in another community this week.

Eating popcorn will mean little mask time during the show.

Haven't gone to see a movie yet, but the theaters are open. I'm enjoying as much outside activity as possible right now.
Our winters are long and miserable. I'll definitely go to the movies then.

Funny how much people love it! One tenacious independent movie house here set themselves up for on-line/phone ordering and curb side pickup during lockdown (March thru July). Apparently it was quite popular and they managed to keep a couple of people employed. :thumbsup2 Now that they are open again they’ve revised the lobby so that people can just walk in and purchase from the snack bar without having a movie ticket.

Ooh "the cheap theater" in Canyon Meadows has easily accessible popcorn? That might be dangerous for me haha

I would absolutely go to a movie if any of our local theatres were open. I really miss going to the movies. I would wipe down the arm rests and if people are sitting at least two seats apart between parties and you have to wear a mask I think the risk is very low. We have eaten inside a few times at restaurants and felt very comfortable doing it.

MJ

We've been several times and loved it! Because nothing new was being released, the theater showed some great classic and fun movies. Our girls got to see Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, The Goonies, and others on the "big screen." My sister and I saw The Lord of the Rings trilogy together. Now that there are new movies being added to the lineup more people are attending. Not tons but a decent number. It was a nice to be able to do "normal" things again even though the food offerings are limited to the typical movie fare.

Ooh "the cheap theater" in Canyon Meadows has easily accessible popcorn? That might be dangerous for me haha
Yep. They've removed the automated ticket machines and closed the ticket windows. You get your movie ticket at the concession now so when you walk up to the concession attendant you can just order movie food and leave without seeing a movie. They've got tons of stuff too - everything from mini-doughnuts to cotton candy!

Nope. They are open but I have no desire to risk it. I refuse to eat out at a restaurant right now too. My bank account has been quite happy about my paranoia 🤣
Me too...no restaurants, movies, vacation, mall shopping, is really adding up. Plus my spring stockpile of canned food from is helping my grocery budget too.

We went to see Tenet last weekend. Movie was ok, but I was happy to be seeing something in the theater. We went all the time pre-covid. We felt completely safe as you had to pre-purchase tickets and the seats were blocked out around the ones that you chose. Very few people at the theater - that part was actually kind of creepy. I hope they can afford to stay open with such low crowds.

We've been several times and loved it! Because nothing new was being released, the theater showed some great classic and fun movies. Our girls got to see Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, The Goonies, and others on the "big screen." My sister and I saw The Lord of the Rings trilogy together. Now that there are new movies being added to the lineup more people are attending. Not tons but a decent number. It was a nice to be able to do "normal" things again even though the food offerings are limited to the typical movie fare.

Well I know what my husband and I are doing for our next date night! Movie snacks and a movie at home!

Not open yet in my state, so our only covid-era movie outings have been at the drive-in, which hasn't had anything I wanted to see since the trickle of new releases has started up. It was fun going for the classic movies all summer but nothing that has been released lately interests me, and the double features are really thematically awkward right now as they attempt to fit in those new releases so even if one movie looks sort of interesting, the other is entirely unappealing.

I have just arrived at the theater. It is 10a.m. Sunday morning, and there should be 5 other people. The theater itself is absolutely deserted, almost more staff than guests.

When I made my reservation, I could chose my own seat, it automatically blocked two seats next to me on both sides, plus the seat directly in front and behind me.

Going to see the new movie adaptation of David Copperfield. The last movie I saw in a theater was Cats, hopefully this one is better ;)

*edit*
Ok in the end only 3 others in the theater.
Absolutely loved it. Great script, cast and cinematography. Peter Capaldi and Hugh Laurie were amazing. Recommended (provided you enjoy period drama)

Last edited:
Ok in the end only 3 others in the theater.
Absolutely loved it. Great script, cast and cinematography. Peter Capaldi and Hugh Laurie were amazing. Recommended (provided you enjoy period drama)
Those two actors are always great! I will look forward to seeing this movie... one day. Theaters still closed in our county, but D23 put on a drive-in of "The Empire Strikes Back" last weekend. It was amazingly fun to see a movie outside our house and to remember what it was like to go to a drive-in! Masks were required any time you left your car. Security made the rounds regularly to check on this. It was nice to see that even at an outdoor event, safety was still a priority.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter