Best Editing Program

MiknMinMouse

DIS Veteran
Any suggestions on a VERY EASY, Blonde friendly picture editing program. I currently have the JASC program but it's not working with my new digital camera's pictures unless you save each picture to a different type of file then edit them. It's also not very idiot friendly. I want a program that can do some cool stuff, but mostly standard stuff and isn't AT ALL complicated. Any Suggestions? :listen:

The easy answer is to use Microsoft Movie Maker that comes with XP. I captured, edited, and produced a simple video of our WDW trip in short time. I am learning how to use Adobe Premiere. It is expensive and will take a while to use, but the results are spectacular.

You might want to take a look at Picassa. You can find it by going to Google and hitting the MORE button. It's a free download and, while certainly not the most powerful program, is a nice way to organize and do some basic image editing (such as red-eye, crop, turn to B&W or sepia, adjust contrast etc.). It also allows some options to export, e-mail, print your files.

If you want something that has a little more punch, and is still free, Google GIMP - it is an open source program that you can download for almost any platform and does most of what a full version of Photoshop does. The downside is that because it is open source, you will have to learn how to use it from the Websites that provide support.

You get what you pay for, but at these prices, both are decent at what they do.

MiknMinMouse said:
I currently have the JASC program but it's not working with my new digital camera's pictures unless you save each picture to a different type of file then edit them. It's also not very idiot friendly. :

what type of files are your pictures.....what JAsc program....if paint shop pro ,,which version most versions of PSP will recognize just about any file type except raw, and PSP X works with those as well..

I'm not sure what my pictures are from the camera. The weird thing is that I used to be able to get it to work. I have an HP Printer/Scanner/copier that prints pictures from the card but it also came with software for editing my pictures, that's not even working right now. I've taken both JASC & my HP off and reinstalled with no success. I don't mind spending a little bit of money on a program but not as much as I did with the JASC. I found one from ULEAD that says it's an idiot proof program but after my experience with the JASC program I want to find one that someone else has used and can give me a little insight about. I'm one who isn't willing to sit and read those really thick manuals. I want it easier than that. I can typically figure simple things out so I don't want to have to read the manual :-).

ndelaware said:
We had Microsoft's Picture It on one of our computers and it was a very easy program to use. My wife even had me load it on her laptop because she hated my Photoshop. The new versions are called Digital Imaging. http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/products.aspx

You can download a free 60 day trial here: http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/starteredition.mspx

I just checked out that website. That actually looks exactly like what I'm looking for! Are all the versions easy to use?

what type of files are your pictures.....what JAsc program....if paint shop pro ,,which version most versions of PSP will recognize just about any file type except raw, and PSP X works with those as well..

Same comments came to mind! MikinMinMouse, are you talking about Paint Shop Pro?

MiknMinMouse said:
I'm not sure what my pictures are from the camera. The weird thing is that I used to be able to get it to work. I have an HP Printer/Scanner/copier that prints pictures from the card but it also came with software for editing my pictures, that's not even working right now. I've taken both JASC & my HP off and reinstalled with no success. I don't mind spending a little bit of money on a program but not as much as I did with the JASC. I found one from ULEAD that says it's an idiot proof program but after my experience with the JASC program I want to find one that someone else has used and can give me a little insight about. I'm one who isn't willing to sit and read those really thick manuals. I want it easier than that. I can typically figure simple things out so I don't want to have to read the manual :-).

If you aren't able to view your files w/any kind of software and/or equipment, I suspect the card is what could be at fault.

From your comments, sounds like your best option is going to be for you to try the trial versions of the different software people have already suggested. What is easy to me may not be easy to others; vice versa.

I am afraid to say this, but any type of program that is going to be worth any effort to use is going to take effort to learn; even if a little bit. Reading the manual is critical to any piece of equipment and/or software. There just is not a one time tutorial that could ever tell you everything about a product's ability. There are many different free tutorials online. That is the closest thing that comes close to your requirements.

MiknMinMouse said:
I just checked out that website. That actually looks exactly like what I'm looking for! Are all the versions easy to use?
They are the same program except that the more money you spend the more features you get. But it all starts in the same place with the basic edition. There is alot of info in the tour that will help you. And if it looks good just download the free trial and if you don't like it just delete it.

MiknMinMouse said:

check your camera settings, it's possible that your settings got changed and your shooting in raw format, which a lot of software won't recognize, nor will your printer,

Corel PAint shop pro is fairly simple with built in tutorials..,,but then again I thoink JAsc is simple, it's a matter of exploring ,experimenting and seeing what different tools do..

I'm trying to remember some of the questions so here goes.

1. Yes it's JASC Paint Shop Pro. I've used it to do some stuff for a business I used to have (making lable for soap products with pictures I'd taken).

2. This has happened with the last three camera cards I've used, my SIL's, my mom's and mine. I've used my mom's card before and had it work.

3. I don't mind looking through the manual but I'd rather have tutorials that can walk me through it.

4. If I down load the free trial what happens to the pictures that I've edited? Do I lose them? ( I know it's a blonde question, but hey that's why I visit my hair person every 8 weeks, so I can ask those questions ;) .

5. For those of you who love JASC, is there an online area that I could use to learn more. I have tried some of the tutorials and didn't get the same affect at all that I was trying for. The one I'm particularly thinking of is when you erase something from the background. I was getting double of what I tried to erase (I think only I can have dumb things like that happen ~ SIGH).

Anyway thanks for all of the suggestions, I think I'm going to download the Microsoft trial and start there.

Using Paintshop Pro 9, I usually just use the selection tools to select what I want to keep (then possibly smooth and feather the selection), promote this selection to a layer, and then erase or paint the layer underneath in whatever texture I want, or add a new layer under the promoted one with another background.

Here's a complete (maybe too much so) tutorial on the background eraser though...
http://campratty.com/4tooltours/kz/bge1.html

MiknMinMouse said:

4. If I down load the free trial what happens to the pictures that I've edited? Do I lose them? ( I know it's a blonde question, but hey that's why I visit my hair person every 8 weeks, so I can ask those questions ;) .

5. For those of you who love JASC, is there an online area that I could use to learn more. I have tried some of the tutorials and didn't get the same affect at all that I was trying for. The one I'm particularly thinking of is when you erase something from the background. I was getting double of what I tried to erase (I think only I can have dumb things like that happen ~ SIGH).

Anyway thanks for all of the suggestions, I think I'm going to download the Microsoft trial and start there.

nothing will happen if you download the new PSP, it will recognize them...

as for question number 5 it sounds like you are using the clone tool rather than the eraser..

MiknMinMouse said:

2. This has happened with the last three camera cards I've used, my SIL's, my mom's and mine. I've used my mom's card before and had it work.

still sounds to me like yu might be shooting in raw mode if your camera has it..

"If I down load the free trial what happens to the pictures that I've edited?"

It can be good and bad, but once you save a changed picture file it stays changed. That's why I always save all the original files on a disc before doing any editing.

ndelaware said:
We had Microsoft's Picture It on one of our computers and it was a very easy program to use. My wife even had me load it on her laptop because she hated my Photoshop. The new versions are called Digital Imaging. http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/products.aspx
You can download a free 60 day trial here: http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/starteredition.mspx

Just want to say thanks for the recommendation. I AM LOVING THIS PROGRAM :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :banana:I downloaded the trial version like you suggested. It is so user friendly. It also has features I really like better than the JASC program, the red eye works better. Also, the blending away blemishes feature actually works. I can't wait to buy the whole thing.

gruZ. If you want something that has a little more punch said:
I must be having a stupid attack because I can't find the program GIMP when i Google. Can post the link. :confused3 :confused3 :badpc: :rotfl2:

MiknMinMouse said:
Just want to say thanks for the recommendation. I AM LOVING THIS PROGRAM :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :banana:I downloaded the trial version like you suggested. It is so user friendly. It also has features I really like better than the JASC program, the red eye works better. Also, the blending away blemishes feature actually works. I can't wait to buy the whole thing.
Glad to hear it. The downside is eventually you do have to buy it if you wan't to continue using it. I recommend buying it online or at a discount store. You will get it much cheaper than buying it from Microsoft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter