Best Stroller Type Rental for WDW - No Child

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
Wife and I are Seniors and both carry backpacks when in WDW. As we have gotten older, the back packs have gotten heavier. LOL. We see other guest without children pushing strollers/baby carriers which carries their backpacks, purchases, etc.

We are thinking that we will try this on our trip next month.

Your suggestions of the type and where to rent are very much appreciated.

I'm not a fan of backpacks, I prefer a cross body type shoulder bag/messenger bag. A stroller for the purpose you suggest would be impractical and more trouble than it is worth, IMO. Always needing to park it outside to enter ride queues, trying to make sure it stays dry, and the fact that something could get stolen, even in Disney.

As a senior myself, I'd recommend sharing a scooter. If you are staying onsite, the busses accomodate them, and they are pretty reasonable to rent, and some companies will deliver to your resort amd leave it with bell services. (We've used https://www.scooterbug.com/ with good results) You can put a small backpack in the basket and another full sized backpack on the floor board under your legs. When I travel with a friend of mine that has severe RA, we share a scooter, as sometimes he needs to walk a bit, but really needs the scooter most of the time. A manual wheelchair is also an option as you can hang the backpacks on the back. That's what my Mom and I did, as the walking was just to much for her after 3 hip surgeries. And yet another option would be not to carry so much stuff unless medically needed. My shoulder bag carries a lightweight jacket, a rain poncho, my phone, charging block, zipper cin purse type thing with my ID, medical insurance cards, Disney gift cards and a credit card, in case the room charge system is down, and sunscreen. With room for a few SMALL purchases in the parks.

The only times I've seen a stroller used as you suggest, there has always been a young child with the family.

Last edited:
Frankly, I'm baffled by why you'd need a large heavy backpack. My wife carries a messenger bag, which contains all her "stuff" plus has space for small purchases. If we buy something large, we hold off until the end of the day so we don't have to cart it around.

We rented from Scooterbug for my 2 granddaughters--great service, and they're the only company authorized to drop off and pick up with Bell Services at your resort without you being present. So it's waiting for you when you arrive, and you just leave it with BS when you depart.
That said, as a senior myself my latest greatest tip is to go completely bag-free. I wear hiking pants, shorts or skorts with lots of pockets. As long as there's a pocket to accommodate my phone and another 1 or 2 with zippers for my ID and credit card, I'm good to go. I wear a Mickey necklace that holds whichever glasses I'm not wearing (always switching between readers and shades). If I need a jacket or sweatshirt, I tie it around my waist if I take it off. My N95 mask is on a lanyard or in a pocket. Buying a bottle of water is worth the price of not having to carry one. I feel like my park efficiency is much improved without the extra baggage!

Frankly, I'm baffled by why you'd need a large heavy backpack. My wife carries a messenger bag, which contains all her "stuff" plus has space for small purchases. If we buy something large, we hold off until the end of the day so we don't have to cart it around.
The weight is greatly because we take several Power Ades so we do not have to pay the park prices

The weight is greatly because we take several Power Ades so we do not have to pay the park prices
Personally, my back told me to stop carrying a drink that I brought with me, and start paying the park prices. But when it comes to a Disney vacation, everybody has their own feeling for what is okay to pay and what is over the line for them.

I think the stroller/wheelchair/scooter rental would be a lot more $ than just paying for beverages inside the parks. And they'd probably be a lot colder than the ones in a backpack.

So you want to pay to rent / buy a stroller to save money on the Power Ades? I say take less stuff into the park, don't pay for a stroller and spend that money on the more expensive power ades.

I agree. You'll spend more money on a stroller/wheelchair/whatever to carry your backpacks full of Powerade than you would on the actual Powerade. I'd just buy the drinks in the park. I can't imagine lugging backpacks (or pushing them in a stroller) full of drinks around the parks all day. I'd seriously push off my trip a month or two to save up more money so I didn't have to do that. I haven't carried anything bigger than a crossbody wallet (and most times I don't even carry that -- I only take what fits in my pockets) to the parks in over 10 years -- and we had young kids when I started going bagless (or tiny bag). I realized that we weren't using 95% of the stuff I was lugging around all day so I stopped doing it. Even then, I never carried anything bigger than a crossbody bag -- never a backpack. We include purchasing drinks and snacks in the parks as part of our vacation budget. Now, if you were carrying a backpack full of medical equipment/supplies, that would be a different story. But spending $25-30/day to rent a stroller to save $25/day on Powerades doesn't make sense to me.

A Disney wheelchair cost $12 a day….$10 per day multi day.
Id get that over a stroller. At least you’d have a place to sit too.

I seem to remember years ago, someone refitted a stroller to hold a tray, so the had a place for a bag and a table surface for food and wine.

May I make A suggestion? Carry your own Reusable water bottle in a sling and purchase Gatorade powder in single serve packets or nuun tablets. If you really dislike Florida water, there is at least one place in each park where you can get filtered water from a QS soda fountain :)

Some things are just not worth the IRL"cost". Buy the powerades or carry the little mixes and add to water at the park.

May I make A suggestion? Carry your own Reusable water bottle in a sling and purchase Gatorade powder in single serve packets or nuun tablets. If you really dislike Florida water, there is at least one place in each park where you can get filtered water from a QS soda fountain :)
I was wondering about those bottle fillers. Whenever I travel I have gut problems which I think are caused by different water. Good to know it's filtered water. Thanks.

Before my DH needed evc and years ago with just starting with the knee issues, if we went to stores or walking grandkids , he would want to push. Having something to hold onto helped him.

Perhaps the OP is heading in this direction too. And an idea just came to mind. Even though you may not need need it. What about a rollator? They cost about $ 75. You could balance your backpack on the seat. Or store a few things under the seat. And it's still a seat if you need one.

Easy to fold up and bring on buses. Save it for the next trip.

We have spent very little time without either a stroller or a wheelchair/evc. We have never bought a bottle of water/gatorade. Are those bottle that are sitting in ice, that cold? We are not , grab a bottle , drain bottle. More sip, sip, sip.

Last edited:
Instead of renting, maybe have one deliverered to the resort from Amazon. A sturdy umbrella stroller like the Summer 3d mini should be fine for your purpose and cheaper than renting depending on the length of your trip. At the end of your trip you can post it in one of the Disney freecycle facebook groups to give away.

Instead of renting, maybe have one deliverered to the resort from Amazon. A sturdy umbrella stroller like the Summer 3d mini should be fine for your purpose and cheaper than renting depending on the length of your trip. At the end of your trip you can post it in one of the Disney freecycle facebook groups to give away.
I remember a trip or two ago, outside on the stores by BWV, there was a stroller with a large sign. FREE.

I had a friend who's son was 6 ish. Never need a stroller at home. Every year bought a cheap umbrella stroller, end of trip, Gave it away. Repeat a few years in a roe. Didn't want to deal with bringing it back and forth.

I was wondering about those bottle fillers. Whenever I travel I have gut problems which I think are caused by different water. Good to know it's filtered water. Thanks.
It’s only filtered if it’s coming from the soda fountain :) the bottle fillers (like the one in line for Flights of Passage) are the same source as the drinking fountains. We fill up our big 32oz hydroflasks at the resort QS and then refill throughout the day at the parks. I know any QS will give you cups of water but I don’t think they are always using the soda machine to fill those cups. Connections, ABC commissary, Backlot express and sunshine seasons for sure have access to the soda machines, I cant Think off the top of my head where to go in MK or AK but I know We’ve done it

So we do have a baby and took her on her first trip. We debated on bringing our very expensive, over $500 jogger. Then read some articles on recent stroller thieves - how you see that everyone leaves everything in their stroller, it's tough to take it out for each attraction, etc. We then decided to leave our stroller home and rent one, then saw the prices.

We ended up borrowing an older Expedition brand jogging stroller from a friend who bought it at a garage sale, who said they didn't care that much if it got stolen or broken. It ended up where the front wheel was wobbling a ton, especially at higher speeds, and I actually ended up having to do wheelies' for rope drop (when baby was in a chest carrier of course). The nut was all rusted. I keep saying that the wheels fell off our trip.

So it's been a couple of weeks since our trip and we went to a Mom to Mom and consignment sale and bought 2 more strollers for Disney. One is another jogger... and it also wobbles a bit, and the other is a 4 wheel version that seems stable. But at $40 and $7.50... even if they only last one WDW trip, it's well worth it for us. Not super experienced in this field being a new dad, but it definitely seems like I prefer the 4 wheel strollers over the joggers. We still had a backback for us and a backpack for baby stuff though.

I agree. My husband and I don't carry any bags. He wears cargo pants and we put our meds in it, ID and a credit card with a few dollars cash. That's all we've ever needed and are hands free. If we need anything else, we go back to the resort and get it, but that has rarely happened.

I bought a LifeStraw water bottle, after I read the suggestion on disneytouristblog. It's fantastic, it removes the bad taste from the water. I just ask for iced water wherever and put it in the bottle. It's supposed to remove all bugs from water taken anywhere camping or similar, so it should be ok for tap water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter