• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best SUVs?

My family and I do a lot of road trips and usually bring extra people with us (anywhere from 2-6 people at a time), so I want that extra space. Otherwise, we're having to rent an SUV 2-3 times per year for the seating and luggage. The extra space would definitely get used.
Keep in mind that most mid-size 3 row SUVs don't have a lot of cargo space if the 3rd row is up. This is a Traverse:

Realistically, how often will you be carrying more than 4 people? Because 4 people fit in a sedan or hatchback with more than enough cargo room and you can rent a vehicle for the 5+ people cases. The vehicle will be significantly cheaper and you'll save a good amount of money on fuel (12,000 miles a year at $2.75/gallon, 35mpg vs 25mpg is $377.14 difference) so if it's infrequent... you might be better of renting something for those.

Pretty much all mid size and smaller "SUVs" are built on car chassis with a couple extra inches of ground clearance. The Telluride for example shares the platform with their minivan so you're not getting a more rugged vehicle by buying the SUV bodied version.

If you're insisting on a 3 row mid size SUV, my picks would be:
Ford Flex
Mazda CX9

Keep in mind that most mid-size 3 row SUVs don't have a lot of cargo space if the 3rd row is up. This is a Traverse:

(12,000 miles a year at $2.75/gallon, 35mpg vs 25mpg is $377.14 difference)
Wow, I'd love to find gas for only $2.75 a gallon. We did dip into the $2.90ish range at some gas stations, but most are at least $3.19 now

Lowest I found while running around today was $2.93. And 2 of my cars need gas.

When I drive from here to Disney, we always stop in south GA. Down there it's about $.20 cheaper, so it'd be about $2.09 now.

I really appreciate everyones responses. My head is just spinning from all the information and cars I've looked at lol! I had to stop looking last night because I started getting too frustrated. Who knew car shopping could be so difficult! :laughing:

OP, I know you said commutable. Are you concerned about gas mileage? What age and total mileage do you want? Service history Carfax do not guarantee a perfect car, but they can help weed out bad ones and differentiate between your final choices. Roof rack is also very important as 3rd row SUVs do not have luggage space to match passenger capacity.

Somewhat. My current car gets probably 23 miles per gallon, but that isn't the top factor in deciding. I would rate looks/comfort over gas mileage since gas prices have been pretty good here.

Realistically, how often will you be carrying more than 4 people? Because 4 people fit in a sedan or hatchback with more than enough cargo room and you can rent a vehicle for the 5+ people cases. The vehicle will be significantly cheaper and you'll save a good amount of money on fuel (12,000 miles a year at $2.75/gallon, 35mpg vs 25mpg is $377.14 difference) so if it's infrequent... you might be better of renting something for those.

Pretty much all mid size and smaller "SUVs" are built on car chassis with a couple extra inches of ground clearance. The Telluride for example shares the platform with their minivan so you're not getting a more rugged vehicle by buying the SUV bodied version.

If you're insisting on a 3 row mid size SUV, my picks would be:
Ford Flex
Mazda CX9

Probably not more than 3 times a year (for maybe a long weekend to a week for each time). I'm starting to get sold on a smaller 5-seat car, but still want the hatchback/suv shape for more room.

Lowest I found while running around today was $2.93. And 2 of my cars need gas.

Don't try and figure out why. It doesn't even have to do with the cost of transporting the fuel. The cheapest around here is that price at a Costco. My choice is different in that I need premium. With that the "spread" seem to vary a lot. Some of the gas stations with the cheapest regular might have a 50-60 cent spread to premium.

Probably not more than 3 times a year (for maybe a long weekend to a week for each time). I'm starting to get sold on a smaller 5-seat car, but still want the hatchback/suv shape for more room.

Again, with cars as my professional and personal life I'd strongly suggest you ditch the SUV idea. A car like the Mazda3, Kia Soul, Kia Niro, or similar will be more than you need.

Subaru is all marketing hype, their product line is mediocre at best. Sorry, but Toyota reliability far out does Chevrolet any day of the week. They really are as good as everybody says, if not better. Nobody is perfect, but Toyota is among the best of the bunch. The 4Runner is extremely outdated, however it is rock solid reliable.

Subaru is another one where I can't get over the looks of their cars. The Ascent isn't bad and Crosstrek is okay, but Suburu as a whole would not be my first choice. Same with Jeep :rolleyes:

Again, with cars as my professional and personal life I'd strongly suggest you ditch the SUV idea. A car like the Mazda3, Kia Soul, Kia Niro, or similar will be more than you need.

What about the Buick Envision or Hyundai Santa Fe sport or similar? I'm more drawn to those

As an owner of a Mazda 3, I disagree with your suggestion. You don't want something like these because they are too dang small. Simply because of visibility reasons. Every where I try to look for traffic to make turns, I have to look around blind spots.

Plus, in the little hatch backs like the Mazda 3, your mirrors and line of sight are perfectly in line with everyone elses blinding lights on their SUVs. I literally drive blind every morning to work. Every other vehicle out there, the headlights are directly in line with my line of sight.

Run the numbers - you may find it's cheaper to rent a SUV on the few occasions you need the space and buy a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage.

We just made the leap to 3 row SUV; I traded in my beloved convertible because an infant carseat would not fit in the teensy backseat. I didn't WANT a new car, and didn't like any of them really, so the dealerships loved me :teeth: .

We bought used (we always do). Since none of them spoke to me, I went completely logical and practical and landed on a used Honda Pilot. We also drove an Atlas, Highlander, Acadia, Traverse, QX60, Enclave, Sorento, and Explorer. The Telluride, Palisade, Ascent were all outside my price range and I had issues with a previously owned CX9. Of course, we were choosing from what options were out there at the time. I waited until 2 weeks before my induction date to even start looking because I was in denial... :rolleyes2

The Pilot has been nice so far! My sister and dad already owned and loved them so I knew longterm, it'd be a good option for us. It wasn't my favorite body style at all but I can't see the outside when I'm driving.

I really appreciate everyones responses. My head is just spinning from all the information and cars I've looked at lol! I had to stop looking last night because I started getting too frustrated. Who knew car shopping could be so difficult! :laughing:

It took me two years between starting the search and buying a car. I narrowed down my choices and decided on a model, and then they did a complete redesign of the car. I won’t buy a new model or a totally redesigned model the first year it’s out, so I patiently waited a year to get the car I wanted. Although I don’t plan to buy a car for about ten years, I am already keeping an eye on things, just in case I would need a car at short notice.

One thing I found helpful was to look for owner forums online for the vehicles on the short list. You really find out the truth about a vehicle when it’s the actual owners talking about it, both good and bad. Good luck on your quest!

As an owner of a Mazda 3, I disagree with your suggestion. You don't want something like these because they are too dang small. Simply because of visibility reasons. Every where I try to look for traffic to make turns, I have to look around blind spots.

Plus, in the little hatch backs like the Mazda 3, your mirrors and line of sight are perfectly in line with everyone elses blinding lights on their SUVs. I literally drive blind every morning to work. Every other vehicle out there, the headlights are directly in line with my line of sight.
I've no idea what your situation might be like, but I can say I've driven a MINI Cooper since 2004 and have never ever had an experience like that. There are regulations regarding light positioning to prevent this from happening.

Good to know...I have this happen frequently with big trucks in my car now. Feels like I have a spotlight shining directly into the entire interior of my car. Then I have to lean to one side to avoid the light shining into the side mirror lol

This is one of the reasons I want a vehicle that sits higher up on the road rather than a sedan. Doesn't have to be a beast, but just so I'm not getting lit up by trucks.

Good to know...I have this happen frequently with big trucks in my car now. Feels like I have a spotlight shining directly into the entire interior of my car. Then I have to lean to one side to avoid the light shining into the side mirror lol

This is one of the reasons I want a vehicle that sits higher up on the road rather than a sedan. Doesn't have to be a beast, but just so I'm not getting lit up by trucks.

Don't believe what that post said. It makes no sense, to be honest. I don't know how the 3 is "too small"?? For visibility reasons. Huh? The 3 is a fabulous car.

Anyhow, the Envision is just the Buick badged Chevy Equinox. It's GM stuff...so-so. The Santa Fe is much better, but again it's an SUV. They're not really good at doing anything, just a style statement. Though if that's what you're looking for (and there's nothing wrong with that), it's not a bad choice. In that class, I'd go with the Santa Fe, Rav4, CR-V, Mazda CX30 as my top picks.

I have a 2018 Toyota Highlander and really like it. I have two teens and it’s plenty of room for day to day carpooling, plus beach trips & weekend road trips, etc.
My last car was a 2012 Honda Pilot which was a great car too.
Overall, service at our local Toyota dealership is far superior which is a huge plus to me.

We have the 2018 Highlander as well and love it.

If you are blinded by lights in your side mirror, your mirrors are not adjusted correctly. You should never be able to see the vehicle directly behind you in your side mirror.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter