• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best SUVs?

I really appreciate everyones responses. My head is just spinning from all the information and cars I've looked at lol! I had to stop looking last night because I started getting too frustrated. Who knew car shopping could be so difficult! :laughing:

Somewhat. My current car gets probably 23 miles per gallon, but that isn't the top factor in deciding. I would rate looks/comfort over gas mileage since gas prices have been pretty good here.

Probably not more than 3 times a year (for maybe a long weekend to a week for each time). I'm starting to get sold on a smaller 5-seat car, but still want the hatchback/suv shape for more room.
A 5 seater SUV/CUV will keep you in the same gas mileage range. A 7 seater SUV will not (at least not that I am aware and I drove a lot of them fall 2018). You will find RAV4 and similar sit you up a lot higher than sedan/hatchback cars. DH works in fixed operations for Toyota/Lexus. He drives a lot of of new and used cars from the lot for work travel. He has gotten spoiled with our personal SUV/CUV lineup. He loves the look of the new AWD Prius; he hates how low to the ground it is—so much harder to get in and out.

What about the Buick Envision or Hyundai Santa Fe sport or similar? I'm more drawn to those
I've always liked my Hyundai Sonatas but needed something easier for my mother to get in and out of so I went with a Santa Fe Sport. Big disappointment. Overall it's not bad but the 4 cylinder engine isn't enough to get it up the hills. Also, the leather(ette) surfaces are the seats are starting to crack and it's only 2 years old. Bottom line is I wouldn't get another Santa Fe.

I've always liked my Hyundai Sonatas but needed something easier for my mother to get in and out of so I went with a Santa Fe Sport. Big disappointment. Overall it's not bad but the 4 cylinder engine isn't enough to get it up the hills. Also, the leather(ette) surfaces are the seats are starting to crack and it's only 2 years old. Bottom line is I wouldn't get another Santa Fe.

How often have you put leather conditioner (or the proper conditioner if it's not actual leather) on them? Seats like that very much require conditioning or they're crack and deteriorate quickly. My Chevy is 10 years old and my/my sons' Lexus is 23 years old. Both have leather that looks brand new. We haven't owned either car very long, but it's clear the previous owners took good car of the seats. I've seen 2 year old cars where it was obvious they were neglected and they look terrible.

Again, with cars as my professional and personal life I'd strongly suggest you ditch the SUV idea. A car like the Mazda3, Kia Soul, Kia Niro, or similar will be more than you need.
Or snatch one up now, because if the trends continue, most everything on the market will be an SUV.

How often have you put leather conditioner (or the proper conditioner if it's not actual leather) on them? Seats like that very much require conditioning or they're crack and deteriorate quickly. My Chevy is 10 years old and my/my sons' Lexus is 23 years old. Both have leather that looks brand new. We haven't owned either car very long, but it's clear the previous owners took good car of the seats. I've seen 2 year old cars where it was obvious they were neglected and they look terrible.
My MIL took her car in twice a year for a detail job and leather conditioning. She got lucky, the Corinthian leather didn't start cracking until the car was about 6 years old, but even the detail place warned her it was only putting off the cracking. DIL did better with her hand me down (from her parents) Lexus. It made it 10 years before cracking. I just don't like the feel of leather, which makes it tough because so many cars now come with leather, or in the case on my wife's Mercury Mountaineer, it was a no cost option, so dealers ordered it. We found one with cloth seats, it will be 20 years old in April, with vacuuming and an occasional spot cleaning, no rips, the seats look new.

We just bought a 2016 Honda CR-V for my wife in December. Could've gotten a Mitsubishi Outlander or Kia Sportage for less, but decided to pay a little more now for Honda's reliability. We would've considered a RAV 4, but there just weren't very many on the market within an hours drive and my wife fell in love with the CR-V. She test drove the Hyundai Tucson and it was just okay. I bought my 2006 Honda Pilot used in 2009 and it is still running strong at 145,000 miles. Haven't had any major mechanical issues with it. Hard to go wrong with Honda. You can save more money in purchase price with other makes, but in my experience Hondas generally cost less in the long run without the expensive repairs.

What about the Buick Envision or Hyundai Santa Fe sport or similar? I'm more drawn to those

Just throwing this out there -- I don't have first-hand owner experience with the Santa Fe (see my previous post...I *really* wanted to buy it) but both my MIL and son have a Santa Fe. My MIL has had hers for a little over 4 years. Sold her 2006 Toyota Forerunner to buy the 2016 Santa Fe. She has not had any problems with it and has not had any trouble (so far) with the leather seats cracking (that a PP had mentioned). And I know she doesn't do anything to condition the seats. She beats cars to death and this one -- short of needing a good vacuuming and something to get rid of the smoke smell -- still looks good inside. My son also has a Santa Fe and I don't think they do anything to condition the seats. That one is 2 years old and I've ridden in it numerous times. Still feels/looks brand new (he keeps it **** and span clean). They love it so much they're planning to trade in their Elantra (which they also love) on a Santa Fe later this year because of the increase in space and the AWD.

If you are blinded by lights in your side mirror, your mirrors are not adjusted correctly. You should never be able to see the vehicle directly behind you in your side mirror.

I think this depends on the height and width of the vehicle you're driving and the height and width of the vehicle behind you along with the seated height of the driver. During the day, the side mirrors on my Acadia are adjusted so that I only see a tiny sliver of the sides of my car, the horizon line is in the center, and I can't see the car behind me unless they are hugging one of the edges of the driving lane. At night, the headlights from the vehicle behind me are often blinding when reflecting in those mirrors -- especially if it's an SUV or pick-up truck (doesn't usually happen if it's a car). It probably is also based on how close or far the car behind me is following me. I have to adjust the mirrors outward so that I don't have that constant glare/reflection hampering my vision. If I leave the mirrors like that during the day, I have a huge blind spot down each side of my car. I will say, this blinding reflection doesn't happen in our old minivan or my husband's car nor does it happen when my husband drives the Acadia (he's a good 8" taller than me). So I think it really depends on several factors and isn't necessarily because your mirrors aren't adjusted properly. Just my experience.

I'd heard that about the regular Sante Fe (sluggish). My parents have the Sport which has the turbo engine and it's great.

As to the leather, their Sante Fe Sport (Limited) is a 2015 and the seats look brand new but they are a real leather. My son drives a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited with black leather. At worst they just look a little worn on the driver's seat.

I think this depends on the height and width of the vehicle you're driving and the height and width of the vehicle behind you along with the seated height of the driver. During the day, the side mirrors on my Acadia are adjusted so that I only see a tiny sliver of the sides of my car, the horizon line is in the center, and I can't see the car behind me unless they are hugging one of the edges of the driving lane. At night, the headlights from the vehicle behind me are often blinding when reflecting in those mirrors -- especially if it's an SUV or pick-up truck (doesn't usually happen if it's a car). It probably is also based on how close or far the car behind me is following me. I have to adjust the mirrors outward so that I don't have that constant glare/reflection hampering my vision. If I leave the mirrors like that during the day, I have a huge blind spot down each side of my car. I will say, this blinding reflection doesn't happen in our old minivan or my husband's car nor does it happen when my husband drives the Acadia (he's a good 8" taller than me). So I think it really depends on several factors and isn't necessarily because your mirrors aren't adjusted properly. Just my experience.

When adjusted properly there are no blind spots. You will see the overtaking vehicle in your side view right until it appears in your peripheral vision.

When adjusted properly there are no blind spots. You will see the overtaking vehicle in your side view right until it appears in your peripheral vision.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I never said I have blind spots when my mirrors are correctly adjusted during daylight hours. The blind spots occur when I have to take the mirrors out of their correct positioning at night because headlights are blinding me. It's at that adjustment that I have blind spots. It's not really a problem at night as I can still see the lights in my side mirrors (just not the glaring full force of the lights) and I only leave the mirrors in that position while I'm driving at night. If I have to back out of a parking spot, I readjust them. The blind spots happen when I forget to readjust the mirrors after I'm finished driving at night so they're correctly aligned for daytime driving. When that does happen, I simply readust them to their correct positioning. I don't drive around all day with blind spots.

The point of my post was that when my mirrors are properly adjusted to the specs I listed in my previous post, I often get major headlight glare/reflection at night from most vehicles, so I *have* to adjust them out of their proper alignment at night....or leave them where they should be and drive blindly. You said in your previous post that no one should get headlight glare if their mirrors are properly adjusted. I was simply pointing out that properly adjusted mirrors CAN get serious headlight glare/reflecting. It happens to me every time I drive at night. My mirrors are perfectly positioned when driving during the day. I don't regularly have blind spots. That only happens when I forget to readjust after night time driving.

Agreed. Does Ford even make any cars now? Isn't it all just SUV and Trucks?

Just the Mustang. Everything else is...ugh...SUVs. Long term suicide if you ask me. However, they have an exit plan. Ford sells tons of sedans around the world. If and when, 'cause I think it's only/hopefully a matter of when, the SUV market crashes, it won't be too hard for them to bring cars back.

Such silly stuff about a Santa Fe being "sluggish". They aren't race cars, but they've got more than ample power to get up any paved road you're going to drive up. You may have to hit the gas harder than you would in a Mustang, but it'll get up the hill just fine. Just checked, the base motor is 185hp. It's a heavy vehicle, and probably a bit slower than its' competition, but 185hp is more than adequate for daily use.

As I stated previously, the Fusion and Mustang are what they are currently producing for cars.
Interesting, I didn't catch that the Fusion was staying in production through 2020. My daughter has one, a hybrid, loves it. We're thinking about retiring this year, and scaling back on cars, and trading in 2 cars on a Fusion. Not sure if I want the Hybrid or the Energi (plug in hybrid). A friend loves his, but the range is like 25 miles on a charge. But that would be plenty for running around town. We'd use our Flex for long trips, and the 1965 Mustang for Sunday drives.

As I stated previously, the Fusion and Mustang are what they are currently producing for cars.

Someone has to be "that person" I guess. Yes, the Fusion is technically still available at the moment, but Ford has made it public that all cars except the Mustang will go out of production. The Fusion is ending in the very, very near future...as in this year. But thanks for pointing out the fine technical details.

Someone has to be "that person" I guess. Yes, the Fusion is technically still available at the moment, but Ford has made it public that all cars except the Mustang will go out of production. The Fusion is ending in the very, very near future...as in this year. But thanks for pointing out the fine technical details.
The question was:
Agreed. Does Ford even make any cars now? Isn't it all just SUV and Trucks?
The Fusion is being made right now.

So if by "that person" you mean the one that can read and answer a question... yes I'm "that person." :cool2:

Interesting, I didn't catch that the Fusion was staying in production through 2020. My daughter has one, a hybrid, loves it. We're thinking about retiring this year, and scaling back on cars, and trading in 2 cars on a Fusion. Not sure if I want the Hybrid or the Energi (plug in hybrid). A friend loves his, but the range is like 25 miles on a charge. But that would be plenty for running around town. We'd use our Flex for long trips, and the 1965 Mustang for Sunday drives.
Yep, 2020MY is the last for them. Ford kind of bungled the car announcement (by announcing it's death so early) so many think it's already good. They're good cars... little long in the tooth but are fantastic on them right now.

Why all the issues with leather seats? We have never had any problems and leather is the 'only' interior we will have. Cloth seats 'grab' our clothing when we sit and try to slide in - gets me all in a twist - lol.
We always do garage our vehicles, so maybe weather - very hot, very cold - extremes have a whole lot to do with leather deterioration.

My Suzuki-XL is 15 years old with no issues with the seats (or anything else) and they've never had leather conditioning on them. We have also towed it for the last 10 years behind our motorhome. Unfortunately, they're no longer made in the US, so I'm hoping it keeps on being the 'energizer bunny' :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter