Best Thanksgiving Tips For Hosts

I stopped hosting. That removed 75% of my stress and the extra prep right there.

I keep it simple. I no longer make a bunch of dishes no one eats or only eats a little bit of. No sweet potatoes, no fruit salad, no casseroles.

Two pies, one pumpkin, one apple. DD’s boss sends one home with her and she makes the other.

Pre made rolls.

The best turkey IMO is a simple, classic one. Start thawing well in advance (I started today), prep it, put a thermometer in it and leave it alone. My best turkeys have always been the ones I didn’t go to a lot of fuss with.

I have DH do my Mise En Place the day before, he’s better and faster with a knife than I am. I set everything that doesn’t need to be refrigerated out on the counter so it’s ready to go in the morning.

Have kids wash and prep whatever veggie sides we’re having and peel potatoes about an hour before I need them.

If we do have guests I assign them munchies and drinks. We don’t have them otherwise.

While hubby is slicing the turkey I’m mashing the potatoes and making the gravy.

Take out the night before so I’m starting with a fresh, clean kitchen.

Invest in a thermometer with an alarm on it. Like this one:
thumb.php

I use it to tell when my pecan pie, rolls, turkey, etc. are done. So easy - you don't have to keep opening up the oven and checking. No more guessing if the pecan pie is done yet. No more over cooked or undercooked items.

I roast a couple of turkey wings and make stock so I can make gravy early. My dressing and gravy are already in the freezer. Cranberries will be prepared on Tuesday, and I cook the turkey the day before, as mentioned by pp. I make my mashed potatoes as the turkey is roasting and heat them up in the oven on Thanksgiving. ( the addition of cream cheese to the potatoes keeps them from getting watery)

Any time I entertain, I do as much as possible in the week leading up to the event. Makes for a much more enjoyable day.

My gravy is in the freezer too. I have stock made to pass off to the person who is making the dressing. I'm making the cranberry orange relish on Tuesday as it tastes better if it sits for awhile. I'm making my pies and rolls on Wednesday. My DH is roasting a pork loin Thursday morning. We are taking all of our stuff over to a friend's home (she's 92) where her sons will cook the turkey and sides. So I'm not hosting just helping a lot since she is older.

I'm hosting for Christmas - but only doing the turkey, gravy and rolls. If my 14 guests want more they can bring it. Otherwise it's hot turkey sandwiches.

This will be the first time in almost 40 years I haven’t hosted. I am missing it. Since it’s just 3 of us and they don’t want to help make the dinner, we are going out. DH thinks we are going to Cracker Barrel, but I am mad at him, so after he went to bed I made reservations at a nice buffet.

My suggestion is to make everything you can ahead of time.

This will be the first time in almost 40 years I haven’t hosted. I am missing it. Since it’s just 3 of us and they don’t want to help make the dinner, we are going out. DH thinks we are going to Cracker Barrel, but I am mad at him, so after he went to bed I made reservations at a nice buffet.

My suggestion is to make everything you can ahead of time.

they will miss it a couple of hours after you get home from your meal out when they go to the fridge and realize that b/c they weren't willing to be helpful-there's no leftovers to nosh on (and no sandwiches the next day, no pie the next night....).

What I have not yet figured out - how to get the mashed potatoes, green beans, roasted squash & apples, macaroni & cheese, & gravy all done & in serving bowls at the same time & get the pots & pans off the stove & out of the oven & neatly in the sink. I'm thinking about trying the crock pot for the mashed potatoes this year.

Yes to mashed potatoes in the crock pot, but couldn't all your other dishes be assembled and baked in nice oven to table dishes? I'm comparing your items mentioned to similar things I make and that's what I do

they will miss it a couple of hours after you get home from your meal out when they go to the fridge and realize that b/c they weren't willing to be helpful-there's no leftovers to nosh on (and no sandwiches the next day, no pie the next night....).
That is what I am hoping for.

Yes to mashed potatoes in the crock pot, but couldn't all your other dishes be assembled and baked in nice oven to table dishes? I'm comparing your items mentioned to similar things I make and that's what I do

I saute the green beans on the stove, & they aren't a big deal at all.

I *WISH I could do a really good baked macaroni & cheese! The macaroni & cheese is strictly for the kids though - so they'll have "something" to eat beside turkey & rolls (according to my mom), & some of them won't eat the baked kind. They all prefer the stove-top kind - I boil some macaroni noodles & then add cream, butter, & gouda cheese.

The butternut squash & apples are roasted in the oven on a baking/roasting sheet, & then I transfer them to a serving dish.

I just haven't quite perfected getting those 4 dishes done at the same time & the mess cleared away. It always feels like a mad rush at the end.

And this year, I'm stressed about the gravy. DH normally makes the gravy. He's at work this year, so I've got to do the gravy.

I really think, though, I'm going to do the mashed potatoes ahead of time this year & put them in the crock pot to stay warm.

thumb.php

I use it to tell when my pecan pie, rolls, turkey, etc. are done. So easy - you don't have to keep opening up the oven and checking. No more guessing if the pecan pie is done yet. No more over cooked or undercooked items.
This is one of the best inventions ever! I've even bought them for other family members.

Don't be afraid to put people to work. When people would ask if they could help I would say, "oh no, don't be silly, go enjoy yourself! I'm fine!" Then I would be scrambling to get everything done. Now I have no problem assigning tasks to those who ask, and if I need help, I'll actually say, "can someone come in here and help me out a bit?" People will come running and are willing to help, you sometimes just have to ask.

Last edited:
This is one of the best inventions ever! I've even bought them for other family members.
Me too - I've also given them as gifts. I gave one to my 90+ year old BFF who is hosting this year's Thanksgiving dinner. She is a fabulous cook who had given me so many tips over the past few decades.

thumb.php

Do you all have a link for the thermometers you recommend?

I saute the green beans on the stove, & they aren't a big deal at all.

I *WISH I could do a really good baked macaroni & cheese! The macaroni & cheese is strictly for the kids though - so they'll have "something" to eat beside turkey & rolls (according to my mom), & some of them won't eat the baked kind. They all prefer the stove-top kind - I boil some macaroni noodles & then add cream, butter, & gouda cheese.

The butternut squash & apples are roasted in the oven on a baking/roasting sheet, & then I transfer them to a serving dish.

I just haven't quite perfected getting those 4 dishes done at the same time & the mess cleared away. It always feels like a mad rush at the end.

And this year, I'm stressed about the gravy. DH normally makes the gravy. He's at work this year, so I've got to do the gravy.

I really think, though, I'm going to do the mashed potatoes ahead of time this year & put them in the crock pot to stay warm.

That all makes sense now. Laughing about the kids and their mac and cheese. Mine were just like that back in the day!

Regarding the gravy, is your DH home the day or 2 before? Could he make it for you then? He could just use chicken broth to make it beforehand, refrigerate and then you reheat and add some turkey juices. It would be fine. One less thing for you to worry about. If he isn't home before, you may want to consider making it the day before yourself. Less pressure!

Also I read how lots of cooks make their roux in the days before, refrigerate it, then do the next steps on Thanksgiving. Not much help since I don't remember where I read that.

Do all of the vegetable chopping a day or 2 before.
Make the stock (out of the neck & giblets) a day or 2 before.
Chop onions & celery for the stuffing a day or 2 before, cook them, then store in fridge until it's time to make the stuffing on Thanksgiving Day.
Set the table ahead of time, not last minute.
Get store-bought pies. Don't waste time baking pies yourself. At least this works for me because I'm not good at baking pies.

Thought of a couple more...

Don't do what DH's grandmother used to do...call every person attending Thanksgiving to ask them what vegetable they wanted, and then end up making a million different vegetables for each person's preferences.

And when somebody asks if you'll be making ___ (fill in the blank with whatever the dish is that person is asking about, but YOU are not planning on making), politely tell them something like, "No, I'm not going to be making X, but it sounds like a great idea. Would you like to bring some?" Then laugh after the phone call when the person says, "Oh, no, that's ok. I was just curious." Suddenly, the orange jello mold "salad" isn't so important after all. Haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter