Best time of day to travel from Universal to Disney

Glynis4

Mouseketeer
We will have a rental car and will be travelling from Universal area to Anaheim on a Tuesday. What time of day would be best to do the trip? Does rush hour start at 3/3:30? Thanks!

Traffic is such a funny thing in the LA area. (Definitely not "haha" funny!) It's constant, and there are so many areas with construction that you have stop and go traffic even late at night sometimes. So I totally get MillauFr's response!!

But IMO, if you are stuck with a daytime drive, I'd say aim for 10-1, 1-2 is dicey. A few weeks ago, we started to head down about 1:30 from Westwood, which was (based on my research) not quite ideal but not horrible. It was looking to be 1h15m or so. Then we had to make a 20min stop... and I watched the drive time shoot up and up. It was about 2h in the end. Using HOV isn't a help in the same way it is in other cities.

Thanks all! Yes I realize that accidents/delays can happen at any time, was just hoping to avoid rush hour on top of that! We can’t check into our Anaheim hotel until 3pm, so don’t want to leave too early either :)

Google maps can give you a travel time range if you put your departure time. I would eat dinner at Universal and leave after 7:30p.

If you are trying to get into Super Nintendo World, look at how that's working now. It might be best to get there before park opening. I would tell you, but I am confusing Japan and Hollywood right now.

We did this back in August, only on a Thursday. Checked out of our hotel in Burbank around 9 then drove through Hollywood and stopped at the Grove. Looked around for about an hour or two then headed south. Stopped for lunch in Lakewood then headed east to Anaheim. There are several places to stop for a few hours on the west side so that you avoid the worst of the traffic near downtown. Besides the Grove you could check out the La Brea Tar Pits or the Academy Museum or the USS Iowa or the aquarium at Long Beach.

Yes we are spending the night after Universal - will check out of our Burbank hotel in the morning and then go to the tar pits and possibly the museum before heading to Anaheim. Not sure if we'll make it on the road before 1, but hopefully shortly after!

We will have a rental car and will be travelling from Universal area to Anaheim on a Tuesday. What time of day would be best to do the trip? Does rush hour start at 3/3:30? Thanks!
When are you going to be in town? There was a large fire under the 10 freeway near downtown Los Angeles. As a result, the freeway is closed, and will remain closed for 3-5 weeks. Needless to say, traffic on the 10, along with the surrounding freeways, is a hot mess right now.

https://ktla.com/10-freeway-fire/fr...provide-new-details-on-10-freeway-arson-fire/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter