Best Time to Book

browerjs

Mouseketeer
My Wife and I have only sailed Disney, however we are thinking about taking a Southern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean this fall. RCCI is running a get 2nd passenger 50% off right now, but since I'd be using Southwest points to fly to San Juan, I'm wondering if we would be better off to wait until the week or two before the cruise to book to get the best rate.

My Wife and I have only sailed Disney, however we are thinking about taking a Southern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean this fall. RCCI is running a get 2nd passenger 50% off right now, but since I'd be using Southwest points to fly to San Juan, I'm wondering if we would be better off to wait until the week or two before the cruise to book to get the best rate.
Just my personal opinion...

By waiting you're gambling that the cabin you want, in the location you want, for a price you want is available. It's POSSIBLE there are no balcony cabins (for example) available a week or two out. If you're not particular about your cabin type (or location), you might save some money.

If I knew I wanted to cruise at a certain time on a certain ship, I would go ahead and book and keep an eye out for price drops. Even price drops after final payment can help. No, they won't give you a discount, but you might be able to upgrade your cabin for little to no money.

This is a tough call. We booked our Dec. '15 cruise back in July of '14. They had the BOGO half off deal plus on board credit and only had to put down $100 deposit. RCCL did away with that deal and now the deal has come back, at least the BOGO half off. Not sure of the on board credit and deposit. I do know, that the later you book the greater chance you get of having a not so great room unless you are doing a suite or something of that nature or room location doesn't matter to you. I know we had pretty much any room we wanted but now they are starting to fill up.

On a side note, we have some friends who book last minute cruises and many times they get a decent deal but nothing spectacular. Depending on the cruise, they have saved from $100 to $300. Sometimes, though, they couldn't do a cruise because there were no rooms left so they just booked the next one in line. They have that luxary as we do not. The "best" deals have come when they were on the ship. Twice, they have added an extra week to their cruise for $200 per person and never left the ship. Again, nice luxary to be able to vacation whenever on a whime.

Adding to what sam_gordan said, if you book a cruise and find out it is cheaper later on, RCCL will credit your account and give you the discounted price.

So if I book now, and I look a week or two before the cruise and it's $300 cheaper, they will credit my account and I could use that towards a drink package, excursion, etc?

So if I book now, and I look a week or two before the cruise and it's $300 cheaper, they will credit my account and I could use that towards a drink package, excursion, etc?

When my parents booked a RCCL Alaskan cruise in 2013, they booked it one year in advance. They are borderline OCD and checked their web site every week. About 4 months later their rooms went down $100 or $125. He called RCCL and credited their account that money since it was paid in full. I guess you could see if they would put that towards a drink package or on board credit. I don't see why they wouldn't, but I only know they will credit your account if it becomes cheaper. Now, they have been cruising for the last 10 years or so once or twice a year. I believe they have only seen their cruise price drop twice in that time. So, the chances of this happening are not likely but it is possible.

Being used to DCL I'm familiar with the *GT rates that they have after the PIF date. I guess RCCI doesn't have anything like this.

No, RCI will *NOT* do that after the final payment date (when it's due, not when you pay). Once that final payment date hits, if there's a price drop, the best you can do is a cabin upgrade.

Let's say you book an ocean view room right now for $1500. At some point after final payment, there's a price drop of $300. If you stay in your OV room, you're still out $1500. HOWEVER, look at cabin categories "higher" than what you have booked. You might be able to move to a balcony or even possibly even a suite, and you're credited the $1500 toward that cabin. So the balcony that was $1800 when you booked is now $1500, you can move to the balcony.

Make sense?

I should have included this has to occur before the final date payment. At least they have only done this before that final date. If it drops before that date then yes they will give you the option of refunding the difference, upgrade room or on board credit.

Good question. We booked Dec 2014 for our April 2016 cruise...so way in advance. The advantage is we got the cabin that we wanted for an 'ok' price. Since December, the price has gone up minimal two times. If it drops before our final payment date then we can get the lower price (but I'm not expecting this to happen).
I've heard that the best time is when new dates are released...like on that date or close to it.
On the flip side, there are also apparently last minute deals when they want to sell the remaining cabins. So that's an option too if you want to take a chance. Obviously less choice but you could get a deal.

The real answer is...it depends.

my husband and I booked a southern Caribbean cruise In May 2014 that sails in March 2016 during the BOGOHO sale. We got what we believe is a fantastic fare for 2 people, 10 nights in a D1 balcony on the hump (Serenade of the Seas) for $2300 total....that INCLUDES port taxes. The same category stateroom today, one year out, is now $3900 for 2. That trip we truly believe we are getting a great deal by booking early.

On the other hand, we leave in 12 days on a 7 day cruise we only booked four weeks ago and got a balcony guarantee for just $1400 total but NOT on RCL. we were watching fares for RCL for a last minute booking but they were going up, and a 5 night was $200pp more than the 7 day we booked (on Holland America, BTW).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter