Best way to clean this.

Macdenewf

Earning My Ears
Hi. Hopefully getting the post to the correct forum
Just took possession of a rental that has what looks like small granite (1.5 inch by 1.5 “) tiles in the showers. I think they are granite. Might be another stone too. I’m really uncertain. But doesn’t look like Porcelain or ceramic.
The unit is about 10 years old. I don’t know if the files have ever been sealed, or resealed.
I’m looking at about 3 different problems and while I’m sure I could hire a professional to clean I don’t mind doing the work.
The floor is a black stone with a dark grout.
There are places where the glue or cement is on the grout. The tiles have a ton of water marks on them. The walls are light stone with a light grout. Discoloring on at least the bottom 6 inches.
I’ve been reading different posts about cleaning. Some people say use a chemical cleaner. Others say use baking soda and peroxide. Others say use vinegar. Others say use vinegar and baking soda.
I’m certain I’ve read not to use vinegar on granite. Can’t say I’ve read that about peroxide though.
I bought a hand held steam cleaner. Helped but didn’t do a great job.
I’m wondering if there is anything they might strip what ever sealer might be there. What I should clean the tile and grout with and then how to best seal to prevent recurrence.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Sadly I can’t see how to post a pic from my phone here.

cheers

Try no scrub oven cleaner!

I was the fool who designed their shower for looks and not cleaning, and we put penny tile as the shower floor.

I have tried everything out there, and thought the only thing that worked was bleach. But I would have to wear a gas mask to clean it and even ended up with chemical burns on my knees from the bleach.

So I read about the oven cleaner and thought it couldn’t hurt to try.

It worked well - not quite as good as Clorox - BUT - it has stayed clean a lot longer than with bleach. So it’s my new go to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter