Better age for a first time trip--3 or 5?

SD33

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone! Was hoping you could offer some opinions on a bit of a debate my wife and I have been having. We both love Disneyland and have gone every year for the past decade just as a couple or sometimes with friends. We now have two little girls, ages 2 and 6 months, and we are wondering when to take our eldest for the first time. My wife would like to take her at 3, but I would like to wait until she's 5.

We both have our arguments for the different ages, but what do you see as the pros and cons of these ages as being? We would be flying in from out of state too.

I'm just worried about a 3 year old's tolerance level for the more unsavory aspects of Disneyland (heat, lines, crowds, etc.).

We both really want that first trip to be special and are fine waiting if it means we have a better chance of having a really fun trip with our daughter, but also don't want to miss out on something special if a three year old would have a magical time.

Anyway, go for it...just give us your thoughts--the good the bad and the ugly! :-)

You'll get more opinions then there are stars in the sky on this question. We took our kids for the first time at 3 years and 11 months old. It was WDW so there was better control over FPs but our rule was no line over 15-20 minutes no matter what.Or plan: do park until nap time around 1-2pm, let the kids nap, and then go back to the park or swim. The kids are 5-2 now and we've been 5 times since that first time with them in 2017.

We took DGD at 2 1/2. She loved it......and it was still free admission! She was back at just under 4 and over 4 and going again in June at 5.
We are also taking DGS in Nov. and he will be a few months less than 3. Should be fine.

Every child is different. One thing to remember if you are thinking about them being tall enough for the thrill rides- just because they are tall enough doesn't mean they will set foot on them.

As for our experience, my DD is 13 now, and we have been to either WDW or DL or both every year since she was 2 (an older 2 closer to 3). My favorite trips are still the ones when she was 2 and 3. Everything was real and magical to her. She was just in awe of everything. She adored all the characters (still does). I remember walking into MK the first day and expecting her to be in awe of the castle, but she could not have cared less about the castle because she spotted Pluto and had eyes for nothing else. My wild constantly moving child begged to meet him and patiently spent 20 minutes in line for Pluto without complaining (our first Disney miracle) and then threw herself at him like she had found her long lost best friend. Yep- our plans for the morning got changed, but I would not change that moment for anything! She spent the entire week with a huge smile on her face and was much better behaved there than she was at home. It was so easy to wheel her around quickly in a stroller (which by the way after she hit 12 months and took her first steps-- she never got in a stroller unless we were at Disney). We went to WDW twice when she was 3, and by the 2nd time, she was 40 inches and could do most of the big rides-- she did Soarin, Test Track, and Star Tours and really enjoyed them. She refused to set foot on Splash and did not like BTMM. She was an open to close parks kid-- breaks didn't work for her. She took naps in her stroller and everything went smoothly. She was by nature an active and impatient kid and lines were fine as she knew something good was at the end of them--we brought little boxes of raisins and those kept her occupied in the really long lines- and we also had a little toy or two for her to mess with. The kid waited an hour to see Tinkerbell (back then Tink and friends was the huge line at WDW) with no complaints at age 2. The stroller had the top for shade which helped with the heat, and it also gave her her own little space if the area was crowded.

By age 5, she was tall enough for almost everything, but she was no longer fearless. Even though she had loved Soarin and Test Track when she was younger, she was then scared of them and we had to bribe her onto them. She rode Splash and hated it-- she would not ride any coaster except for Barnstormer. She was in kindergarten and the other kids with older siblings had already started enlightening her on what was real and what was not. We still used the stroller because she didn't have the stamina for an open to close day without it. It was still a fun wonderful trip--- but for us, the magic was definitely the strongest on her 2 and 3 year old trips when everything was absolutely real to her.

I will say that our worst trip was when she was 6 years old. Age 7 was not much better. At those ages, we did not have the stroller. Her stamina was not yet enough for all the walking in the parks. The lack of shade the stroller provided led to whining about heat. There was a lot of whining about feet, being hot etc. There was basically a lot of whining. She was still a total ride chicken. By age 8, she had the stamina for all the park walking and full days and everything was good again. We have had no issues since she turned 8. She also started to get a little braver for rides. She enjoyed Space Mountain. She didn't really start liking some of the strong thrill rides until age 11. She still hates TOT/GOTG and is not a big fan of Splash or Kali/GRR, and she has refused to ever try California Screamin/Incredicoaster but she will ride most everything else.

My DD still has specific memories of her 2 and 3 year old trips, even at age 13. She doesn't remember everything, but then, neither do I!

So- that has been our experience, but your child could be different.

I took all of my kids to Disney Parks at 1 1/2. First, they're free (even on the flight). But it got them used to a place we love. And by the age of 3, they had all hit 40 inches, and they all wanted to do the "big" rides like Big Thunder, Space Mt, Splash Mt, and even Tower of Terror. The younger you start, the easier it is to get them to enjoy the best rides!

I took my 3 yr old last year, the day after Labor Day for 3 days...super low crowds. Our flight into SNA was 2 1/2 hours long leaving at noon...slept/napped for 2 hours of it and loved being on a plane for the rest of the time he was awake.

We were worried about how he would do in lines. How would he react to the characters? Would some of the rides scare him?

He was 39 inches so he couldn't do all the rides...but he loved everything in Fantasyland and Cars Land (minus RSR...1 inch too small). Loved the parades and loved all the characters he met at the meals. Lines didn't bother him as he was looking at everything around him...besides...we never waited longer than 10 mins for anything. Hit the parks early...went back to the room to nap after lunch and back to the parks late afternoon.

I'm not a local but I've been to DLR 10 times as an adult and this was the best trip...and I didn't do a single "adult" ride...just seeing my kid light up seeing Mickey for the first time and running up to him for a hug...oh, the feels!

He didn't like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin as it was really loud...other than that he had a blast. Still remembers everything...asks to watch all the videos we shot over and over...so we are heading back again this year in Nov...now that he's 41 inches...he'll be able to ride more attractions...he can't wait.

So I would say 3 years old is fine..but every kid is different...

Determine what your goal is. Is this a once in a lifetime trip and you want her to remember it? Then wait - as she will remember nothing. Is this a trip for you to enjoy her marveling at everything and you will be back when she is older? Then 3 is fine.

Agree with above. We all parent and vacation so differently and you know your daughter(s) better than anyone, as well as yourself and your tolerance levels. We took our DD for the first time when she was 3 (I was pregnant with DS). She LOVED it - everything about it, except Small World, she thought the dolls were scary, but loved Matterhorn (I did not ride (as pregnant), she rode with my husband). She adored the characters, especially Pooh, after four visits with him, we said, that's enough. (She is now 19 and to this day has to see Pooh and ride that darn ride at least once a trip :).) The next trip, a couple years later, DS turned 2 (we have the pictures of him wearing his birthday button) and then fairly regularly (pretty close to every other year) since then, along with a variety of other places through the years. Both kids love Disneyland, my daughter a bit more, I can see her raising her kids on Disneyland like we did.

We chose to parent with the thinking that children join our lives, not the other way around and so we always just did and went where we wanted to go and brought our kids. That being said, did we have dinners that were rushed? Yes. Did we end up getting a meal to go sooner than anticipated? Yes, but our kids have and are awesome travelers (by car and plane) and I believe that is because we took them places while they grew up (prior to everyone having handheld electronic devices for entertainment), without us necessarily trying to instill these things, they learned manners, how to wait patiently, flexiblity, etc. We schlepped whatever gear made our life easier (always a double stroller (not the side by side kind) which made airport travel easier (just gate check it), but the kids were comfy (could nap in the stroller if they wanted to), we had a basket for all the necessities (including a ziploc bag of toys that I didn't care if they made it back home, but gave them something to keep busy with if need be), snacks/drinks, even a compact change of clothes, all the stuff you need for comfort and ease when traveling with littles, the stroller was also great for the walk back to the hotel for mid-day breaks or at the end of the night.

Life in general with kids is being organized, making adjustments for naps, moods, mealtimes, etc., but we simply didn't shy away from taking them anywhere we wanted to go. Every Disney trip has been different based on their ages as their interests and maturity (and height) changed and we have never had a bad trip. Even if they are too young to have a solid memory, looking at Disneyland through your kids eyes is magic in and of itself. We love being able to look back at our photos from the trips and reminisce about the trip, the characters we met that time, etc., and I can't chose a favorite--they all hold something special for me (and my kids.)

Heck, I say bring both kids (you can rider swap) and there are countless people that bring children (including infants) to the parks. Heck the little one is free! Whatever you decide plan your trip (to avoid going the week Star Wars opens for example...), the heat, lines and crowds can all be dealt with by using the many resources for Disneyland planning (especially with toddlers) that exist, keeping your expectations realistic and being patient (with your spouse and kiddos). Stay at a hotel within VERY easy walking distance because that will make a huge difference (our first two trips we stayed at Paradise Pier (not the closest, but at that time, it still had it's own entrance into DCA), and BWPPI...that literally is about the closest you can get. I find if you do those things you will enjoy yourself and your kid(s) will too, regardless of age, and you'll have wonderful memories to look back. I bet you'll be mentally planning your return before you even leave (I still do that.)

I have taken kids to Disney at a 12 months, just under 3, 3rd birthday, just under 4, 4, 5, 9, and 10.

I would choose under 3 for cost savings, and then wait again until 5. 3 and 4 are fun and magical but expensive and dealing with potty training. 5 is still magical but taller (more rides) and potty training is solid. Also more able to wait in lines and more likely to remember the trip later in life.

Sounds like your wife wants a Disney trip. I say go when you two want to go, bring along both or one kid and enjoy the magic through their eyes. It will be a different trip but one you will never forget. We took our DS at 4 and he was old enough to tell us all the characters were just people dressed up but he still got so excited to see Mickey.

Last edited:
We've gone with a 2 year old (left the baby at home) and just returned from a trip with a 3 and 5 year old. We waited until the younger was 40 inches because he would have been devastated to have been left out of the rides his sister could go on (even if he hated most of them, hahaha).

It was magical at 2, magical at 3 and 5 and I'm sure if will be magical at any age :)

Here’s some perspective for you... we just let our 6 year old daughter do bibbidi bobbidi boutique for the first time ever and I am kicking myself for not letting her do it earlier. We always just wanted to wait until she was older so she would appreciate it more. But man, to think of all times we missed out on seeing her face light up like that when they spin the chair around to face the mirror to do that final reveal kind of makes me sick to my stomach.

People will tell you that young kids won’t remember the trip and they won’t fully appreciate it so you should wait until they’re older... but here’s the thing, they may not remember everything, but you WILL. So if anything, do it for yourselves and go with the little ones. It’s magical.

We took our 2 kids the week after thanksgiving 2018 - ages 3 and 5. Both had a blast. I was worried about waiting in line for our 3 year old, but it went relatively smoothly. Every child is different, so you know best tolerances etc. for your child. Will your oldest be in kindergarten or elementary school if you wait? Our 5 year old just missed the birthday cut off for kindergarten and was still in preschool, so we didn’t have the issue of missing school and pulling kids out of school, which can be an issue depending on your school district. Going younger means you can target less crowded times of the year without the missing school issue. Obviously there are people who do pull there kids out of school to go during the less crowded times, but something to think about. Disney will be magical no matter what age.

It was absolutely magical for my 3 year old. I think that's a perfect age for a first trip.

Each family is different. For ME, having triplets, we waited until they were 7. I know if we would have taken them when they were younger, especially in diapers and/or pull ups, it would have been a stressful trip for me, and everyone else, not just in my family, but anyone who was near us. I say, do what you feel is right for your family. What ever you decide, wishing you all the best!

Every age is amazing, but I took both my kids on their first trip when they were 3. I found it to be an amazing age to take them. They really believed all the magic. And while they might not remember, (for some reason this seems to be a big deal for some people. Heck, I don't remember some DL trips I went on as a tween) you will remember the way they look at the characters and really everything with such a look of pure joy on their face! It was so magical! Of course you can't go open to close with either age, so just pay attention to your kiddos mood, and when they've had enough, take a break. I took them both back at 5, and while it was still a great trip, as has been every other trip we've taken since, they didn't believe in everything anymore.

We took ours at four and it was great. She was just tall enough to go on all the 40" rides and to be able to pack just a booster seat for the shuttle.

Here’s some perspective for you... we just let our 6 year old daughter do bibbidi bobbidi boutique for the first time ever and I am kicking myself for not letting her do it earlier. We always just wanted to wait until she was older so she would appreciate it more. But man, to think of all times we missed out on seeing her face light up like that when they spin the chair around to face the mirror to do that final reveal kind of makes me sick to my stomach.

People will tell you that young kids won’t remember the trip and they won’t fully appreciate it so you should wait until they’re older... but here’s the thing, they may not remember everything, but you WILL. So if anything, do it for yourselves and go with the little ones. It’s magical.

My daughter is four and had no desire to do bibbidi bobbidi bourique. She HATES getting her hair combed and is a little shy. I'm hoping when we go again when she's 7 or 8 that she will want it done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter