Better Late Than Never ~ 13 Oct Surprise, Birthday, Free Dining, Pop TR UPDATE 2/16

When we left off we were at the outlet mall. After that we had dinner at Dairy Queen and went to bed early.

10/25 ~ Friday
We were up before the alarm, which is really good because it took us longer than expected to pack up the room and then repack the car.

Once that was done we went to have our complimentary breakfast. I went to the waffle maker to make Hope a waffle.
I looked around for non-stick spray and didn't see any. I took that to mean it didn't need any.
Yeah well, I was wrong.

This is the result. :rolleyes2

I think it’s very hilarious that there was a plate of butter sitting right next to the machine and you didn’t see it.

After a few minutes of me and Dave scraping this thing clean I made waffles for Hope and Dave and then got some bacon and sausage for me. I also ate a fourth of Hope's waffle.

When we were done eating Hope told Dave the birthday surprise she's been keeping for more than a month. He didn't know that the Food and Wine fest would be at Epcot while we are here. This was our first time at the F&W Fest. One of the things Dave really likes about vacation is eating and having people cook his food, bring it to him and clean up after him. The F&W Fest was an opportunity to try lots of different foods.

Then it was time for my surprise. I gave them each a wrapped gift.
Hope thought hers was clothes

Usually boxes mean clothes

To be fair she got the shirt she is wearing in the photo as a gift.

Try as I may, I have not been able to upload the video to photobucket.
So here’s what happened.

Hope's gift was the Magic Bands. She was so excited. Dave said, "I don't understand." Hope told him we would be able to use them to pay at DTD later that day. She didn’t catch on that MB meant staying on site.

While I had multiple conversations with Dave leading up to the trip about MB and how they were rolling out at certain resorts, he didn’t seem to know what they were. We even had a conversation where I had them tell me what color they would pick if we ever got MB. He was clueless.

So I told him to open his gift (which was the Mickey mail) and turn it to the first page and read it. 8 nights at Pop. At this Hope says, “Wait, we’re staying at a Disney hotel?!” and starts jumping up and down. She ran around the table to tackle me with hugs and thanks. Then I mentioned we had free dining. They were both shocked and pleased.

I was very excited to learn that the Magic Band opens the hotel room door. Usually I have to ask Dad for the key before I start racing him to get to the room first to open the door.

Then it was off to the SGIA (sign trade show) show where we picked up lots of free goodies, including Halloween window clings that we later put on our hotel window. We left around 1:00 and headed to Pop.

The SGIA show wasn’t much fun, but it was fun to get some free things.

I can’t tell you how many times that child asked me how much longer we had to stay.

BTW, it was a huge sacrifice to leave the SGIA show early.

How is that a huge sacrifice, it sounds like a tiny sacrifice?

:hourglass

The excitement level in the car was at epic proportions at 1:21. (Notice she has the MB box in her hand.)

I still have that box in my room today.

as we pulled under this

And then we saw this

I think the excitement level got even higher when we got out of the car (and I wasn’t sure that was possible.)

Stepping into that lobby was an awesome feeling.

Hope started to dance. It was so great to see my child so excited.

I’m dancing with happiness.

As you can see, I was ecstatic!

He's soooo helpful with this TR! :rotfl2:

Will our room be ready??? How far would the walk be to our room??? Would we like the resort??? Okay, okay, you probably already know we loved Pop!

Aw how sweet that Hope was SO THRILLED with staying at Pop. I start dancing when I get there too. :)

How did the DH feel about F&W going on while he was there??

Aw how sweet that Hope was SO THRILLED with staying at Pop. I start dancing when I get there too. :)

How did the DH feel about F&W going on while he was there??

My child loves to sleep in hotels and a Disney hotel is the best hotel.

Dave loved F&W. But we are both quite...what's the word??? Frugal. Yes, we're frugal. So I think part of the enjoyment was using the snack credits from Free Dining.

:thumbsup2

When we walked up to online check in we were the next in line. In less than a minute Shannon from Australia was calling us over. Check in took less than 5 minutes.

She gave us our kttw cards and told us we were in building 5 (Mowgli and Baloo) which is the exact building I wanted. We were as close to the elevator as you can get on the lake side.

Our first order of business was to pick up our mugs and get them filled.

Our mug receipt shows 1:40 PM. We had 3 mugs for a total of $57.48 but since we had free dining we paid $0. I love paying $0!
Here’s Hope trying out the hot chocolate. She doesn’t drink soda, so there was a bunch of hot chocolate and powerade this week.

We LOVE Pop. It's been 4 years since we stayed at All Star Movies so it may be a memory issue, but our room seems MUCH closer to the main building than our room at Movies. Of course that’s probably because our building is Preferred Rooms if you’re facing the pool and our room was only a few steps away from those rooms. It’s like get Preferred Rooms at Standard Room price.

I loved walking through the pool area. Love this resort!

We had the new bedding and the new fridge (at the time, there were many threads about the fridges. Some rooms didn’t have any and people were asking for credits. Of course a year later I’m sure everyone has them by now.)

This is the view from our door.

Our room number

This is one of the door magnets that we made for our trip.

Here is the view in the other direction

I set out to unpack as soon as we got there. Dave took a short nap and Hope got her swimsuit on.
Here is our window with the window clings we got at the SGIA show.

We were out at the pool by 2:50.

It was a bit chilly out for us (we’re from the deep south.)

We were starting to get hungry, so we headed back to the room to change before our first Disney meal of the trip….anybody want to guess where would we eat???

That was a great way to surprise them and so funny how much explanation was needed before they "got it" ... and then Hope's reaction after she got it is wonderful! That moment right there alone probably made all the planning worth it :goodvibes

yeah for getting a great room location and only paying the standard room rate ... and yeah for "paying $0" for the mugs!

So funny how where you live dictates what you consider "warm" ... I recall one trip we took to Florida in October and it was 65 degrees out and we went swimming and thought it was great - but everyone from that area thought we were nuts!

wonderful! What luck to be so close to the preferred rooms.

It was really helpful that we had a room close to the buses and parking lot. You'll see. :rolleyes2

That was a great way to surprise them and so funny how much explanation was needed before they "got it" ... and then Hope's reaction after she got it is wonderful! That moment right there alone probably made all the planning worth it :goodvibes

yeah for getting a great room location and only paying the standard room rate ... and yeah for "paying $0" for the mugs!

So funny how where you live dictates what you consider "warm" ... I recall one trip we took to Florida in October and it was 65 degrees out and we went swimming and thought it was great - but everyone from that area thought we were nuts!

I really wish I could have the video on here...you can see the confusion on Dave's face.:rotfl2:

I was feeling the Disney magic. pixiedust:

Yeah, we're wimps! But we can handle the heat and humidity! :goodvibes

Your surprise turned out so well - what a great idea to wrap up the Magic Bands and the Disney Mail! Bravo! :thumbsup2

Hope looks SO EXCITED. :hyper:

What a great room view and spot for a standard rate. I'm glad you were able to head straight to the pool - I bet Hope had a great time!

I look forward to seeing where you had dinner...

Your daughter is so cute! I could literally feel the excitement! What a sweet surprise. I could never keep a secret like that for more than like 2 hours!

Your surprise turned out so well - what a great idea to wrap up the Magic Bands and the Disney Mail! Bravo! :thumbsup2

Hope looks SO EXCITED. :hyper:

What a great room view and spot for a standard rate. I'm glad you were able to head straight to the pool - I bet Hope had a great time!

I look forward to seeing where you had dinner...

Hope was almost 2 on her first Disney trip. To keep her from wanting to buy stuff while we were there, I stocked up on clearance Disney items. Each morning of the trip she would get a wrapped gift. It worked so well that we did it again when she was 4. Now that she's 9 she still wants to get a gift everyday. So the day she got glow bracelets and this day was Magic Bands.

She was really excited and spent as much time as she could at the pool.

We were spoiled with our room location.:banana:

Your daughter is so cute! I could literally feel the excitement! What a sweet surprise. I could never keep a secret like that for more than like 2 hours!

Thanks! She looks like her dad. We were super excited. This time around I plan to keep the entire trip secret!popcorn::

Hope is adorable! I love the dancing at POP photos!

I love her little inputs in the TR too!

Yay for arriving in WDW! Love all the photos!

Score, for getting the rooms you wanted! Cute window decor and free is such a bonus.

Nice hand stand in the water!

Looking forward to reading about your first park day.

Hope is adorable! I love the dancing at POP photos!

I love her little inputs in the TR too!

Yay for arriving in WDW! Love all the photos!

Score, for getting the rooms you wanted! Cute window decor and free is such a bonus.

Nice hand stand in the water!

Looking forward to reading about your first park day.

Thanks! She's actually sick right now, so we will probably have an update tonight or tomorrow.

Oh no :( so sorry to hear that she is sick. I hope she feels better soon.

We went back to the room to change for dinner. We took the long way from our room to the bus stop so that Hope could see the 50’s area. She loves Lady and the Tramp.

She decide to act like a dog.

We stopped to refill Dave’s mug. At 5:20 PM we were getting on our first bus ride of the trip. We were heading to DTD to eat our favorite counter service free dining place.

Wolfgang Puck Express! We checked out at 5:50 PM. We ordered Alfredo, Pizza, Fruit Cup, Cheesecake, Milk, Bottle Water and our total was $42.87 or $0 if you have Free Dining!

Hope got started on the fruit right away.

While Dave & I took pictures.

This picture was taken at 6:00, but we ate for a little bit before I remember to take pics. That means it took less than 10 mins from ordering to our food getting to us. Pretty good service!

Next we had to take pictures in the same spots we’ve been taking pictures since Hope was at DTD on her first birthday.

I block the Mickey now!

Then she played in the water for a bit

When we walked into Once Upon A Toy we noticed a new picture taking spot.

A nice CM asked if we wanted a pic together and we did…or at least I did.

And of course you have to take pics outside the giant Mickey pumpkin.

We did a bit of shopping but didn’t buy anything. Before the trip Hope wanted to make her own light saber, but when we got there she found an Indiana Jones dress up set that she liked more. She decided to wait until she looked around at the parks before getting it. Her Grannie gave a Disney Rewards Card of her own before we left and she didn't want to go over and have to spend any of her money (she was saving that for WWOHP.)

At 7:13 PM we were waiting for a bus back to Pop.

My original plan was to go to Poly and watch Hallowishes. We weren't going to see the fireworks in the park at all this trip, so watching from the Poly was a great plan.

But...it just didn't happen.

We got back to the room, laid down in bed and watch the Toy Story Horror special. Then it was off to sleep.

I’m glad we got to watch that, I want to watch it again!

I guess it just goes to show you that the things you think would be must dos for your kids don't always match up with what they want.

I know I am a little finding your report, but I am loving it. :goodvibes Pop Century is one of my favorite places at Disney to stay, so I love all the pictures from around the grounds. All of your pictures are great, a report can never have too many pictures. It is great that the CM took the group picture for you. I look forward to the rest of your report :surfweb:.

I know I am a little finding your report, but I am loving it. :goodvibes Pop Century is one of my favorite places at Disney to stay, so I love all the pictures from around the grounds. All of your pictures are great, a report can never have too many pictures. It is great that the CM took the group picture for you. I look forward to the rest of your report :surfweb:.

:welcome: I do love pictures and I do love Pop. Thank you! I'm working on the next installment now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter