• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beyond Big Thunder

Completely disagree. If you are going to travel to Walt Disney World, the ONE park you are going to visit is the one with the castle.

It just makes sense to invest in it especially considering many of the attractions are closed, aging, outdated or just flat out have low capacity.

You could spend 1/3 of the $60 billion at Magic Kingdom alone on expansions and redos.

Monorails, Adventureland expansion, Tom Sawyer replacement, Beyond Big Thunder, half of Tomorrowland is decrepit or closed, original Fantasyland needs serious maintenance, Treehouse needs to go, etc.

It's not to say that MK couldn't use it - it could. But the other parks have less bandwidth and need more expansion desperately. Persoanlyl, I'll take expansions to ALL of them.

To give you an idea the area we're talking about. It REALLY is a lot of available space. The only thing I can't figure out is how they plan on opening the dead end at Haunted Mansion/Small World.

If they're going to connect this new land on both sides, it's really going to have to do a weird button hook near HM. BTM1.jpgBTM2.jpg

To give you an idea the area we're talking about. It REALLY is a lot of available space. The only thing I can't figure out is how they plan on opening the dead end at Haunted Mansion/Small World.

If they're going to connect this new land on both sides, it's really going to have to do a weird button hook near HM. View attachment 849371View attachment 849372
I wonder if we are assuming too much here. Instead of putting new attractions in that area, why not put the new attractions in the current back-stage area behind Tiana/BTMRR and move those facilities to the outlined area? Yes, I know that the parade floats are stored in that area right now. Surely they can build a new one a bit further south of the existing building? And the rehearsal hall doesn't need to be in that area either.

I wonder if we are assuming too much here. Instead of putting new attractions in that area, why not put the new attractions in the current back-stage area behind Tiana/BTMRR and move those facilities to the outlined area? Yes, I know that the parade floats are stored in that area right now. Surely they can build a new one a bit further south of the existing building? And the rehearsal hall doesn't need to be in that area either.
Well...I dunno. I'm just saying I THINK this is the area that is in question.

Dinoland has needed the love since it opened, I know when you really dig into the theme there's a bunch of layers and stories but for an area meant more for kids it really lacks. I remember decades ago (when did I get old?) going to Busch Gardens and playing in the Land of Dragons as a kid and thinking it was awesome, still remember it to this day. Within a year of that trip we went to AK and I can barely remember any of it, I think I actually fell asleep halfway through the day.

Amazingly, Disney Imagineering has just released some teaser models from the retheming of Dinoland.

Basically, what we now know for sure: palm trees and the Casita!

While I’m in no way an imagineer, I will say as they plan to expand - it’s going to get harder and harder for them to fit things into areas like puzzle pieces. Especially having to build for the future and what the kids and future kids will like as well.

I’ve seen a lot of “encanto doesn’t belong in AK” okay well - as Disney grows and more movies and such become popular they have to find places to put the newer “lands” while trying not to take away the classics.

I would love a 5th park and for them to totally do a villain park, but I don’t think Disney is there yet.

If they do a cars land in MK, would they move the cars show from HS there, and free up space in HS for something else?

If they do encanto is AK, would mirabel do a meet and greet there and not MK? I think AK needs more rides and not just a casita.

I also think Indiana jones is cool, but the kids these days don’t really know who he is, so to retheme dinosaur to that is a waste IMO - retheme it to something else - a ride through the casita, all the rooms!

I also agree with the exit issues of a new land in MK so having a back exit like Epcot has would be nice!

While I’m in no way an imagineer, I will say as they plan to expand - it’s going to get harder and harder for them to fit things into areas like puzzle pieces. Especially having to build for the future and what the kids and future kids will like as well.

I’ve seen a lot of “encanto doesn’t belong in AK” okay well - as Disney grows and more movies and such become popular they have to find places to put the newer “lands” while trying not to take away the classics.

I would love a 5th park and for them to totally do a villain park, but I don’t think Disney is there yet.

If they do a cars land in MK, would they move the cars show from HS there, and free up space in HS for something else?

If they do encanto is AK, would mirabel do a meet and greet there and not MK? I think AK needs more rides and not just a casita.

I also think Indiana jones is cool, but the kids these days don’t really know who he is, so to retheme dinosaur to that is a waste IMO - retheme it to something else - a ride through the casita, all the rooms!

I also agree with the exit issues of a new land in MK so having a back exit like Epcot has would be nice!
Great thoughts! I'm not certain, but I'd suspect the Casita will be a ride of some sort.

Most are assuming that the riverboat and tom sawyer island continue to exist as they are currently.
The reality is the riverboat is a man made "river" channel.
A somewhat logical way they could do this expansion is to push the channel and islands further back in to the expansion zone. That would allow more usable real estate in liberty square and Frontier land, perhaps creating the new orleans area.
Like Paris, using the tunnels to gain access to big thunder, while re-imagining everything, they can do a higher capacity tunnel to a re-done tom sawyer island, reducing the need for the problematic raft crossing. It could continue on with tunnels in to the new land. It would also allow for an easier route around Haunted mansion and/or big thunder. Removing the riverboat all together would be a pr goof. However, putting that channel outside the rail path would certainly do a lot to help with logisitics.

as to overall theme of the new area. One reason I like the villains land is that it is still somewhat generic, and fits in to the character of the magic kingdom. While I like an addition of carsland or zootopia to florida, it doesn't quite fit with tomorrow land, frontier land, fantasy land, and adventure land.
So if not dark kingdom/villains land, it makes more sense to just extend frontier land, Liberty square or add New Orleans. My opinion is that it sort of needs to stay classic.

I hope whatever they make is new and not related to a single movie/franchise as I feel that fits in better with MK. Now if you asked me and my tween daughter, we'd both 100% vote for a Villains land. I'm also really hoping for a minimum 3 rides, the 2 ride lands always feel like too few of options.

I have taken the Keys to the Kingdom tour twice and have been back there. There is a very large water recycle plant behind Tiana. I do not believe it is feasible to move it so my guess is a big no to using this back area.

I have taken the Keys to the Kingdom tour twice and have been back there. There is a very large water recycle plant behind Tiana. I do not believe it is feasible to move it so my guess is a big no to using this back area.
There is also the Pirates show building and the railroad - Disney has a lot of operational things back there and I cannot imagine them moving them.

There is also the Pirates show building and the railroad - Disney has a lot of operational things back there and I cannot imagine them moving them.
I've been back there as well. These are good points. But there is still a lot of room there.

As long as it's not Pixar, I'm excited. They should go back to true classic Disney and do planet Naboo with Jar Jar, then they can use Queen Amidala as a princess.

I keep imagining ‘Isle of the Lost’ from Descendants. Not a modern day reiteration, but a period appropriate land where all of the banished Villains live. Maybe an E ticket trackless ride where we see Maleficent's life as told in the Angelina Jolie adaptation. A land where we begin to understand them and maybe secretly root for these antagonists. A place to see their story, point of view. I could see Cruella having a clothing and accessory shop. A wicked underwater lair of Ursula that is an exclusive dining experience. Like Trader Sam’s with effects based on chosen menu options.

Attachments

• IMG_6192.jpeg
    IMG_6192.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I keep imagining ‘Isle of the Lost’ from Descendants. Not a modern day reiteration, but a period appropriate land where all of the banished Villains live. Maybe an E ticket trackless ride where we see Maleficent's life as told in the Angelina Jolie adaptation. A land where we begin to understand them and maybe secretly route for these antagonists. A place to see their story, point of view. I could see Cruella having a clothing and accessory shop. A wicked underwater lair of Ursula that is an exclusive dining experience. Like Trader Sam’s with effects based on chosen menu options.
I'll tell you what- THAT is some original thinking right there! Nice!!!

I hope whatever they make is new and not related to a single movie/franchise as I feel that fits in better with MK. Now if you asked me and my tween daughter, we'd both 100% vote for a Villains land. I'm also really hoping for a minimum 3 rides, the 2 ride lands always feel like too few of options.

As long as it's not Pixar, I'm excited. They should go back to true classic Disney and do planet Naboo with Jar Jar, then they can use Queen Amidala as a princess.
Cars Land & Zootopia seem to be the things speculated from some of the more reliable rumor mills

Brayden from Mickey Views just posted an informative video update with rumors for "Beyond Big Thunder."

The rumors from his sources indicate that the two themed areas will be "villains" and "desert" (although desert seems to be Brayden's own term...since he used it back when the concept was Coco and Encanto, which are certainly NOT desert themed).

Radiator Springs Racers is the current major attraction being discussed for the desert/southwest area to pair with Thunder Mountain (but NOT a full Cars land, just this ride), and there is potential for a Woody themed attraction (with the western Woody's Roundup aesthetic).

Despite having many sources, he says he has not heard a peep about potential attractions for the villains area and it is Disney's currently best kept secret. All he knows is that its been in Blue Sky for many years, and that the Haunted Mansion restaurant appears to be axed.

Also sad news: there's a strong possibility that Rivers of America gets shortened or removed altogether. I think shortening the river will be necessary but I REALLY hope they don't remove it and the Liberty Belle. Please Disney Imagineers: Dont make the same mistake you did with Galaxy's Edge! Part of what makes this area of MK special is the kinetic energy! You can walk by the pleasant water, hear the horn blow as the steamboat pulls out of the dock, spy a raft crossing the river to Tom Sawyer's Island, and hear people scream as logs cascade down Splash Mountain/Tiana's and the train from Big Thunder races around the bend. We can't lose that energy. Shrink the river if you must, but removing it altogether would be an enormous mistake.

Also sad news: there's a strong possibility that Rivers of America gets shortened or removed altogether. I think shortening the river will be necessary but I REALLY hope they don't remove it and the Liberty Belle. Please Disney Imagineers: Dont make the same mistake you did with Galaxy's Edge! Part of what makes this area of MK special is the kinetic energy! You can walk by the pleasant water, hear the horn blow as the steamboat pulls out of the dock, spy a raft crossing the river to Tom Sawyer's Island, and hear people scream as logs cascade down Splash Mountain/Tiana's and the train from Big Thunder races around the bend. We can't lose that energy. Shrink the river if you must, but removing it altogether would be an enormous mistake.
I agree totally. It would be beyond stupid to alter Rivers of America or anything in that area.

I agree totally. It would be beyond stupid to alter Rivers of America or anything in that area.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to see that go completely. I would understand if they had to make some modifications though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter