• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Blown away by offsite stay

buzznina

DIS Veteran
Background, we have been going to WDW for years and over 35+ trips and have ALWAYS been an onsite "in the bubble" believer.
My DW and DD's are down there now for the National dance competition at the ESPN complex this weekend. So in January we had to make reservations. So naturally, we first looked at Disney resorts but we wanted to try and keep the cost down, and the cheapest we found was a Mod at $275 before taxes. So I decided to look offsite and found a deal at a resort for under $100 total per night and we crossed our fingers, well DW did, I had to stay home for work:( Well she has been totally blown away by her stay there, the suites are giant over 500 sq ft, it comes with a microwave, spa tub, full size fridge and freezer, screened in balcony and tons of storage space. On property they have 13 pools and hot tubs, 3 restaurants, plenty of snack areas, a Hershey ice cream shop, starbucks and a LOT of activities free and for a cost. She said she is just 10-15 minutes from the parks and the drives have not been bad at all. Last night when we were facetiming she said with WDW constantly raising rates, cutting back stuff like EMH's etc. and services not being what they use to, that we seriously need to start looking offsite for our future stays. Something we thought we would never contemplate.
BTW; they were still able to take care of my DD Mickey head waffle fix:rotfl2:. Just went to MK, jumped on the rail to one of the 3 resorts and had breakfast there.

We also ventured outside the bubble for the first time last month. We rented a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo for $100/night. We were VERY surprised to find we didn't miss the bubble that much. Not waiting on buses was amazing. I was surprised how efficiently Disney runs their parking lots/trams/etc. Also, no standing on buses after a long day at the parks was a plus. I did miss not being able to make our FP+ 60 days in advance; we ended up doing DAH events at MK and DHS to get rides on SDD and 7DMT.

Edit to add: Best of all, in-unit washer and dryer!!! Wonderful for a 10 day vacation.

I agree. We went off site a few years ago, to visit Discovery Cove, SeaWorld etc.., prior to checking into a Disney resort. Although not as grand as wheat you described above, our room was twice the size of our room Deluxe Resort and it was about $100/night (on Hotel Plaza Blvd). Had a lovely pool area, 2 gift shops, couple restaurants...very nice. We now always do a split stay between off site and onsite. Saves a ton of money and we get to see much more on our vacations.

We also ventured outside the bubble for the first time last month. We rented a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo for $100/night. We were VERY surprised to find we didn't miss the bubble that much. Not waiting on buses was amazing. I was surprised how efficiently Disney runs their parking lots/trams/etc. Also, no standing on buses after a long day at the parks was a plus. I did miss not being able to make our FP+ 60 days in advance; we ended up doing DAH events at MK and DHS to get rides on SDD and 7DMT.

Edit to add: Best of all, in-unit washer and dryer!!! Wonderful for a 10 day vacation.
Funny, we actually like the buses:) FYI; All the DS hotels offer have FP+ at 60 days and I heard more hotels will be added.

We also did our first offsite say on our last trip, and we loved it! We rented a 3-bedroom, 2 bathroom condo at Windsor Palms, $950 total for 9 nights last June. Driving to and from the parks, including parking, was a non-issue. We were also fortunate enough to find FP for everything we wanted except Peter Pan.

Not offsite exactly but I would stay at Cabana bay again for a while Orlando stay, paid for a value but had Starbucks, multiple pools etc
We loved Cabana Bay, we found it better then value and Mod at WDW. The pool with lazy river, little bowling alley, starbucks, stores, gym and do not get me started on their CS vs Disney's, where you have the WDW CM trying to shake loose that 3rd piece of bacon so to ONLY give you 2 pieces and at Cabana Bay I cancelled the side of bacon I ordered because of how much they give normally.

We loved Cabana Bay, we found it better then value and Mod at WDW. The pool with lazy river, little bowling alley, starbucks, stores, gym and do not get me started on their CS vs Disney's, where you have the WDW CM trying to shake loose that 3rd piece of bacon so to ONLY give you 2 pieces and at Cabana Bay I cancelled the side of bacon I ordered because of how much they give normally.

I love POP

But Cabana bay is what POP could be aesthetically and theming wise. With Disney service and “magic”? It would be amazing

Background, we have been going to WDW for years and over 35+ trips and have ALWAYS been an onsite "in the bubble" believer.
My DW and DD's are down there now for the National dance competition at the ESPN complex this weekend. So in January we had to make reservations. So naturally, we first looked at Disney resorts but we wanted to try and keep the cost down, and the cheapest we found was a Mod at $275 before taxes. So I decided to look offsite and found a deal at a resort for under $100 total per night and we crossed our fingers, well DW did, I had to stay home for work:( Well she has been totally blown away by her stay there, the suites are giant over 500 sq ft, it comes with a microwave, spa tub, full size fridge and freezer, screened in balcony and tons of storage space. On property they have 13 pools and hot tubs, 3 restaurants, plenty of snack areas, a Hershey ice cream shop, starbucks and a LOT of activities free and for a cost. She said she is just 10-15 minutes from the parks and the drives have not been bad at all. Last night when we were facetiming she said with WDW constantly raising rates, cutting back stuff like EMH's etc. and services not being what they use to, that we seriously need to start looking offsite for our future stays. Something we thought we would never contemplate.
BTW; they were still able to take care of my DD Mickey head waffle fix:rotfl2:. Just went to MK, jumped on the rail to one of the 3 resorts and had breakfast there.

What resort is she at?

I love Cabana Bay. I'm really experiencing excellent service at CB and I love the amenities and theme.

For my last Orlando Visit I stayed at Cabana Bay and at an off-site hotel that was on Palm Parkway, which is 5 minutes away from Disney Springs. My rate there was an average of $101 a night and I had a full kitchen (minus an oven), living room and the resort had a free hot breakfast, Happy hour, a pool, laundry room and recreation facilities for the kids. There was free parking, Wi-Fi and NO resort fees added to that rate.

People really need to shop around for off-site hotels. When I was doing my research, I found many that were attractively priced and more than a few that had free parking, free Wi-Fi, and no resort fees.

I would consider staying offsite even if I didn't have a car because using LYFT is easy and affordable.

The Disney resorts seem to have given up on maintenance, customer service and housekeeping in my opinion, especially when compared to what you can experience by staying off site from Disney. It used to be that Disney offered a much better experience when staying at their resorts. Now it seems like they are eroding that in favor of profits.

I think it will get to the point where the only effort that Disney will make at keeping people at their resorts is with holding Fast Passes hostage. We've seen the elimination of Extra Magic hours and the reduction in operating hours, which are being replaced with up-sell events. With everything else there is to do in the Orlando area we might as well save money by staying off site and by spreading our wings experiencing new adventures elsewhere in the area.

~NM

It's nice to hear that you all have had such positive experiences. I am starting to hear the same through friends and family more and more. Right now we have a free dining stay booked for this summer at POR---but then I found out that they put off doing the room refurbs that they started last summer when we were there. Gives me the idea to look at what is available for off property especially for the extra space and cost savings. When we were at POR last summer the magic that I remember just isn't there like it used to be. :(

I have loved staying offsite for years. We started with 4 bedroom pool houses right after 9/11. Later we mixed in some DVC stays with Wyndham Bonnet creek, Waldorf and Hilton Bonnet creek and we still enjoy all of them but we also stay at the Dolphin now.

Nicest rooms we ever stayed at while visiting Disney parks were definitely the Presidential suite at Hilton Bonnet Creek and a big suite at the Waldorf. We could afford them, the nicest suites on site would be out of our range.

Next up: universal resorts. We need to check them out. I am definitely going to check out cabana bay but am also interested in Hard Rock Hotel. I think that might be a good fit for us.

Last edited:
It’s been a decade or so, but we enjoyed Silver Lake Resort. You could take a sherbeth road right to AKL. Screened patios, jacuzzi, laundry, pools and activities. While I enjoyed the space and amenities, I find it hard to leave Disney property.

I love Cabana Bay. I'm really experiencing excellent service at CB and I love the amenities and theme.

Next up: universal resorts. We need to check them out. I am definitely going to check out cabana bay but am also interested in Hard Rock Hotel. I think that might be a good fit for us.

Universal resorts are amazing!! We stay at the Hard Rock and it is wonderful. We are steps away from the parks, have a true 4 star resort experience, receive FREE unlimited express pass on all rides, customer service is top notch!!! I hear great things about Cabana Bay, too!

We have stayed at the JW Marriott& Marriott Grande Vista recently. Magnificent properties and very easy commutes to all Orlando parks!

I have no problem with the short drive to Disney. We have AP's so no parking fees at the parks.

Staying offsite is wonderful!!

I find doing a split stayon and off property is the best of both worlds. I really like the lazy rivers off site. Do a park in am, spend the afternoon at one of the pools or lazy rivers at the Bonnet creek offsite resorts, then back to a different Disney park. Works best when the parks are open late and no extra ticket party is scheduled.

Last edited:
It’s been a decade or so, but we enjoyed Silver Lake Resort. You could take a sherbeth road right to AKL. Screened patios, jacuzzi, laundry, pools and activities. While I enjoyed the space and amenities, I find it hard to leave Disney property.

Universal resorts are amazing!! We stay at the Hard Rock and it is wonderful. We are steps away from the parks, have a true 4 star resort experience, receive FREE unlimited express pass on all rides, customer service is top notch!!! I hear great things about Cabana Bay, too!

We have stayed at the JW Marriott& Marriott Grande Vista recently. Magnificent properties and very easy commutes to all Orlando parks!

I have no problem with the short drive to Disney. We have AP's so no parking fees at the parks.

Staying offsite is wonderful!!

Yea the unlimited express pass included in Universal resort stays are hard to match, seems you can get more done in less time and in the parks and spend more quality time in the pools! Commando park touring not required!

We did the opposite...used to stay off-site, but with all the new rides and difficulty getting them at 30 days, we moved to on-site. There are definitely pros and cons to both, but it's hard to beat the huge amount of space (3 bdrm, 2 bath, full kitchen and laundry) at 1/3 of the price of staying on-site. We don't rent a car when staying at a Disney resort, and I must admit that I miss some of the shopping and dining excursions that we did when staying off-site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter