• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Blown away by offsite stay

I just returned from a 14 day trip to WDW. I was at Pop for the first part of my stay. Then moved to BWV for two nights, then over to the Red Lion Inn on 192 for a night prior to moving to Windsor Palms for the remainder of our stay. I have stayed at the Red Lion many times, it's clean and in a great spot. Nothing really special. But for $75 a night, I'm okay with it. The stay in Windsor Palms, in a two bedroom/two bath condo, was wonderful. I don't feel the need to go to a park every day, or for more than an hour or two. Staying in the condo was a great way to spread out a bit, cook what I wanted, and head to a park for just a short time.
I no longer feel the need to pay Disney prices for rooms.

I agree with the folks who mentioned the driving factor. I hate driving in real life, much less on vacation where I don't know where I'm going. I also like to have a few drinks, so would prefer not to drive because of that as well. I've also been scarred by seeing the traffic backup at the MK toll plaza on the first night of MNSSHP last year - anxiety triggering. I also agree that there's no right or wrong way to do a Disney vacation, and I can understand how it makes sense to stay offsite for many people. For us, we choose our vacation resort by location first, price second. We're willing to spend a little more for conveniences.

I agree with the folks who mentioned the driving factor. I hate driving in real life, much less on vacation where I don't know where I'm going. I also like to have a few drinks, so would prefer not to drive because of that as well. I've also been scarred by seeing the traffic backup at the MK toll plaza on the first night of MNSSHP last year - anxiety triggering. I also agree that there's no right or wrong way to do a Disney vacation, and I can understand how it makes sense to stay offsite for many people. For us, we choose our vacation resort by location first, price second. We're willing to spend a little more for conveniences.

I'm probably almost the complete opposite of you, I guess. I don't mind staying offsite, don't mind driving and having a vehicle gives me a better feeling of control, being able to go where I want, when I want. I pretty rarely drink, and if so, it's probably only one several hours before driving again. I've also been to Disney so many times that I'm pretty familiar with the road system and know a few shortcuts to get around traffic on occasion. Yes, there are sometimes short waits getting thru the toll plazas, but I figure they're no worse than waiting for a bus and usually less than that. But, I totally agree with you that there's no right or wrong way to do a vacation...and you do get that big advantage of booking your FP's earlier and the extended park hours.

we stayed at Westgate town center back in 2008, it was vert reasonable and lots of room for a family of 6! we missed some of the magic, thought we wold use the kitchen and such more than we did. after that, we've done the disney bubble. next trip is in Oct, staying at Pop-cuz for us, its just a room and i am a bit cheap. Imiss the days when the Polly was one of the only resorts and was somewhat affordable. I may upgrade my pass to an annual this trip-this way i can find a cheap flight and go on a wim-plus dd wants to go in the spring for her 18th bday. will say, with all the added hotels(good neighbor) and the extras they come with, i may be looking at those for last minute trips.

We stayed at Silver Lake many years ago and it was a lovely resort and we had a great time. I've thought about doing offsite again now that my kids are older but I keep coming back to saying no due to many reasons.

I hate driving on vacation. I drive my kids around a lot in regular life. Since that Silver Lake stay, every single vacation I have taken since then we have not rented a car. We do onsite at Disney so no driving, we also do all inclusives and if we leave the resort we use a taxi, Uber's and Lyft for all other vacations.

When I go to Disney, I do Disney. We do onsite and everything within the "bubble." The same if and when we do Universal. For us it's not just the parks...it's a vacation experience. I don't want to lose the option of EMH, or the big one...60 day FP+.

If I want to rent a house and do attractions I would pick a completely separate vacation not in Florida.

If Disney prices me out of staying onsite (we only go every 3-4 years) I will vacation elsewhere. There are so many beautiful places to vacation and spend my money. Many more places to get more bang for my buck too.

Last edited:
When planning our Feb 2020 trip, I looked into all the surrounding non-Disney hotels (ones comparable to POP) and also DS hotels. I couldn't find anything cheap enough that would take me away from Disney resorts. I took everything into account (not just the per night rate): car rentals, resort fees, resort parking fees, park fees, etc, and we ended up choosing Pop. This doesn't mean that I won't still do comparisons the next time we go to Disney. I'm sure we'll stay offsite at some point; it just all depends on cost!

When planning our Feb 2020 trip, I looked into all the surrounding non-Disney hotels (ones comparable to POP) and also DS hotels. I couldn't find anything cheap enough that would take me away from Disney resorts. I took everything into account (not just the per night rate): car rentals, resort fees, resort parking fees, park fees, etc, and we ended up choosing Pop. This doesn't mean that I won't still do comparisons the next time we go to Disney. I'm sure we'll stay offsite at some point; it just all depends on cost!

You may have already done this when checking off site hotel rates, but as a reminder to people who might not know, definitely join the hotel chains loyalty programs. Doing so triggers emails containing special offers with low rates for loyalty customer members.

The second thing you must know is what the cycle is for the sale pricing for a specific chain.

As an example I just booked Cabana Bay at Universal for an end of April beginning of May stay. As an Annual Pass holder, I know the cycle for AP discounts for their hotels. I know that the discounts at Universal tend to come out 3 months before the dates that are offered for discounts.

I also keep track of their other room rate offers. So, when calling to book for this 'April beginning of May stay' I took advantage of a special "low" rate of $126.75 per night. (I think the regular room rate at Cabana Bay is something like $189.00 a night.)

The Annual Pass discount rates were gone when I made the call to book but they were running this other special. I suspect that Universal offered fewer AP Discounts rooms and apportioned more of their rooms for the discount that I wound up using.

I have no idea what the AP holder discount was for this period but I'm thinking that it couldn't be much lower. As an aside it's kind of driving me crazy that I don't know what that rate was, but I suspect that for maybe 1 day of a month, when hardly anyone books the resort, the come on rate might have been $99 a night for an extremely limited number of nights with an extremely limited number of rooms available to use this discount.

We will have to pay parking fees at Cabana Bay but we are willing to eat the $17 bucks a day. We could have found a hotel on Palm Parkway that had free parking, free breakfast , happy hour and Wi-Fi etc, but we wanted to stay at Cabana Bay (My happy Place) which is right next to Volcano Bay (My other happy place).

Back in the day Disney used to offer resort room discounts that were very attractive. Now, Disney advertises that they are running a discount offer, but when you call you can't get it because it is highly limited on what resort is offered, and how few days qualify for the discount, and then on top of that, it might only be a handful of rooms at a specific resort that is offered. You really have to "thread the needle" to navigate these discounted room rates offered by Disney.

It's basically gotten to the point with Disney where the discounted rooms they are offering are virtually nonexistent. These come ons are also designed to move you into a higher resort category. That means more money for Di$ney! So, Disney will bang the drum that they are having a "sale" on resort rooms but for all intents it's unusable.

That sale come on is designed to get you to forget about how overpriced a Disney vacation is and start thinking about GOING to Disney for a vacation. You see that commercial and you start to justify it in your mind that, even though it's overpriced, if you can get that room at a bargain (Nope! Not happening...) you would go because it would be worth it. Then the "Disney Math" starts and we all know where that goes. Pretty soon you've found that you wound up booking club Level in the presidential suite because of the 'discount' you got.

When considering a Disney resort stay, I should probably just be using a calculator that inflates my numbers using a "Disney Math Algorithm". I'm thinking it would need to multiply every number by 4.35.

~NM

We take our twins every two years. Four years ago stayed at Poly and two years ago GF. We were just there end November. I wanted to stay at the Contemporary but every time I check Disneygo it stood (and stands as of yesterday) at over $1500/ night. What is up with that? Any way we stayed at Holiday Inn Disney Springs and relied on Uber. Really everything worked out very well. Uber to the park arrived at the hotel in about 3 minutes and park to hotel within 10 minutes. We got 60 day fast passes. We included breakfast and so it was around $110/night. Pool was okay and hotel was okay.

Funny, we actually like the buses:) FYI; All the DS hotels offer have FP+ at 60 days and I heard more hotels will be added.

We did our first offsite trip last year when just the wife and I went. We stayed at the Hilton right across the street from DS. While it wasn't much of a savings... being able to walk to DS and back late night was wonderful. We didn't use the buses at the hotel, we just walked over and took the transportation at DS.

If you are going on a solo or adults only trip, I would highly recommend it.

I'm probably almost the complete opposite of you, I guess. I don't mind staying offsite, don't mind driving and having a vehicle gives me a better feeling of control, being able to go where I want, when I want. I pretty rarely drink, and if so, it's probably only one several hours before driving again. I've also been to Disney so many times that I'm pretty familiar with the road system and know a few shortcuts to get around traffic on occasion. Yes, there are sometimes short waits getting thru the toll plazas, but I figure they're no worse than waiting for a bus and usually less than that. But, I totally agree with you that there's no right or wrong way to do a vacation...and you do get that big advantage of booking your FP's earlier and the extended park hours.

Yes, different strokes for different folks. Everyone has different priorities. I spend much of my real world days in traffic commuting to and from work, so the last thing I want to do on vacation is spend time waiting in traffic - at the toll plaza, or on the crazy roads of Orlando. The convenience of onsite is #1 for me, but I guess the "bubble" is a close second because being driven around and not having to experience real world things like traffic, directions, etc. does have value for me. We can forget real life for a while, and Disney is one of few places where you can truly do that. DH and I always joke when we get home that we forgot how to drive because we don't do it for what feels like so long while at WDW!

Last edited:
Although I am willing to take WDW busses, and certainly do, we have had enough bad experiences (2 during our recent February stay where we waited for a bus for an hour, and waited ON a bus for an hour when the monorail was down for 5 plus hours) to make renting a car very attractive to us. When traveling with our kids and their friends we drove to WDW from home many many times so we know our way around Disney property and the surrounding area. Now as a couple, we opt to fly, and rent a car. Having a vehicle makes us feel less stranded in the bubble. We did take a great car service from airport to the Dolphin with a Publix grocery stop during our last trip. I didn’t miss ME one little bit, and we stocked up with all we needed and packed less stuff in our luggage. Heaven! This will probably be our future strategy. If we NEED a car, it’s so easy to rent one at the Dolphin, and the customer service renting there could not be better.

1st time I ever stayed offsite I was nervous about driving to the parks. Come to find out, its super easy because they do a wondeful job with the road signs. And as it turns out, I can leave the park, catch a tram or walk to my car, drive to my resort and be in my room often times quicker that waiting for a bus. Except for MK becuase of the TTC. That is a poor design.

Proximity to parks and transportation is huge to me. Way more important to the size of our living area. Example - staying at BC we checked in and decided to have a pool day. Kids thought differently so they went to Epcot and met us later for dinner at B&C. Then we walked over to HS to watch the Star Wars fireworks and ride toy story and walked back home to chill. Could not have a more perfect vacation day and it would not be possible staying off site. And I never had to worry about having a few drinks.

That being said off site is always on the table. Parking fees have changed the math and I’ll be comparing on/offsite value every time we plan a trip.

Last edited:
Although I am willing to take WDW busses, and certainly do, we have had enough bad experiences (2 during our recent February stay where we waited for a bus for an hour, and waited ON a bus for an hour when the monorail was down for 5 plus hours) to make renting a car very attractive to us. When traveling with our kids and their friends we drove to WDW from home many many times so we know our way around Disney property and the surrounding area. Now as a couple, we opt to fly, and rent a car. Having a vehicle makes us feel less stranded in the bubble. We did take a great car service from airport to the Dolphin with a Publix grocery stop during our last trip. I didn’t miss ME one little bit, and we stocked up with all we needed and packed less stuff in our luggage. Heaven! This will probably be our future strategy. If we NEED a car, it’s so easy to rent one at the Dolphin, and the customer service renting there could not be better.

I'd love to try the Swan/Dolphin on a future trip! Now that they are Marriott properties I can get points!! So you get the perks of being onsite(I don't care about ME or room charging), less cost, and points towards free nights!! Sounds like a win-win situation!:thumbsup2

1st time I ever stayed offsite I was nervous about driving to the parks. Come to find out, its super easy because they do a wondeful job with the road signs. And as it turns out, I can leave the park, catch a tram or walk to my car, drive to my resort and be in my room often times quicker that waiting for a bus. Except for MK becuase of the TTC. That is a poor design.

It’s an intentional design. It’s another draw for people to stay at monorail resorts or any onsite resort in general, since the resort buses drop off at the gate.

Proximity to parks and transportation is huge to me. Way more important to the size of our living area. Example - staying at BC we checked in and decided to have a pool day. Kids thought differently so they went to Epcot and met us later for dinner at B&C. Then we walked over to HS to watch the Star Wars fireworks and ride toy story and walked back home to chill. Could not have a more perfect vacation day and it would not be possible staying off site. And I never had to worry about having a few drinks.

That being said off site is always on the table. Parking fees have changed the math and I’ll be comparing on/offsite value every time we plan a trip.

This is why we love staying onsite, specifically the Epcot resorts. The kids have stayed at the pool before while we walked over to Epcot. We also like to drink and not worry about driving.

Next up: universal resorts. We need to check them out. I am definitely going to check out cabana bay but am also interested in Hard Rock Hotel. I think that might be a good fit for us.

We've stayed at both, and had a great time! Hard Rock is right there - we could see the coaster from our window, and walk to and from the parks.

Okay, so on-site big advantage for me is the buses, I like the buses, they are part of the charm and I hate driving.

How is experience with shuttles at these resorts? That’s what will keep me going back to on-site - the transport and the worry free, car free movement

I'm down with it as soon as they develop that transport machine like they have on Startrek. It's not the bubble I'm after, it's the absolutely no driving part that is non-negotiable. But I've seen traffic outside of property when going to Universal and I'm not driving in it back and forth every day. That is the deal breaker, not the bubble itself. But teleport me, and I'm down. :teleport:

Yes, this!! Neither of us likes driving on vacation. Disney transportation, even if not perfect (and really, is anything?) is a huge "bubble benefit" to us!

Another great point! - We have an older teen, and can split up when we want using Disney transport.

I'd love to try the Swan/Dolphin on a future trip! Now that they are Marriott properties I can get points!! So you get the perks of being onsite(I don't care about ME or room charging), less cost, and points towards free nights!! Sounds like a win-win situation!:thumbsup2

That's recently made it onto our short list as well, for the same reason!

I 100% understand that. But for BC rooms starting at $400/night, There is no way I can justify that. I can rent a condo or house for a week cheaper than a 2 night BC stay.

I 100% understand that. But for BC rooms starting at $400/night, There is no way I can justify that. I can rent a condo or house for a week cheaper than a 2 night BC stay.

When we've stayed deluxe we've done an exclusive labor day rate through a TA or rented points. Both were under $210 a night. I think the agency price has gone up but last quote I got was still about $250 a night for BC but we didn't book since we picked another time of year. The time I rented at BWV I paid $189 a night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter