~Boardwalk vs. Pleasure Island for evening ~

mafibisha

DIS Veteran
Hey all,

Not sure how to advise my sister since my kids are so much younger, so I told her I'd ask you, the experts!

My sister and her 24 y/o DD have a free night when her DH is busy, and wondered which you would recommend for the evening - strolling the Boardwalk area or Pleasure Island.

They're leaning towards doing the Boardwalk because they've never been there and it looks fun (I only know about Beaches and Cream!)

They've been to Downtown Disney for shopping and dining and have walked around Pleasure Island but haven't done the clubs. While they'd like to have a drink somewhere, they don't want to party the night away and don't want to spend the cover charges ($40 for 2) for Pleasure Island if they only stop for a drink or two.

So is there enough to do in the Boardwalk area, and if so, what would you suggest?

TIA for your help.

Well, I haven't been to Boardwalk yet and I think PI has had some changes since we were last there. I enjoy the Adventurers Club. Lots of fun and good drinks. The clubs sell drinks outside so you don't have to pay cover. You can buy a drink and walk around.

I say definitely BW! The area is really nice for an evening stroll, and you can get drinks at ESPN. They have a piano bar - Jellyrolls - for drinks as well. I believe there is a cover charge, but it isn't a "party" atmosphere. It is very fun to sit and listen while enjoying a drink (even a diet coke!) Beaches and Cream is great for a snack as well. There is also the Atlantic Dance Hall - haven't been so I can't say what is inside, but overall if not looking for a club scene, the BW is the perfect place for an evening IMO.

We love the BW area, especially Jellyrolls! As a cross-generational outing, Jellyrolls will have something to offer both of them. They can also rent a Surrey bike and pedal around - it's a blast doing that at night!

We haven't been to PI for a few years since we found BW, but since we keep going back to BW...

Thanks for the replies!

Are there lots of shoppes to stroll through also? Any favorites?

Where would be a moderate place to eat, maybe not even a sit down but is there something at the Boadwalk that would be like Wolfgang Puck's Express at DD?

Any other ideas appreciated.

I'm so looking forward to the boardwalk when I go in August, thanks for the tips everyone!

hmmm i thought i replied to this but it must have been on another thread hahaha sorry... well ill do my best to help out since im right at the age of 24 :) id go for boardwalk....but thats because it was the espn bar (always a fav of mine) and jellyrolls..which piano bars are always a great time....i havent been in a few yrs so i dont remember the shops...there are a few other nice places to eat as well....however at PI you also get downtown disney and PI all rolled into one and that gets you alot of entertainment..but from your original post i would say having a dinner and strolling the boardwalk and stopping by jellyrolls would be a very enjoyable evening for the two of them :)

I love the boardwalk area, but it isn't where I would go for a fun evening. Yes, Jellyrolls is there, as is Atlantic Dance Co. I like Jellyrolls, it's fun. Atlantic Dance I've never been into. ESPN Club is okay but not for any entertainment value. As for shopping, well, you'll get mostly Disney type stuff. There is an ESPN shop, Seashore Sweets which sells ice cream and candy. Then there is the Screen Door which is a small grocery type shop, Character Connection which sells Disney merchandise and some DVC stuff. Wyland Gallerys has a shop there as well.

If you're looking for fun as well as a few drinks, I would head to PI. I've been to PI several times and have yet to pay to get in. But, we don't do any of the clubs. We have just gotten a drink at one of the counter service type spots. Lots of decent shopping in DTD though.

I LOVE Boardwalk, one of my favorite places in all of Disney (in or out of the parks)!
There isn't as much shopping as there is in Downtown Disney/PI, but the atmosphere is far and away miles better. Quite a few table service and quick service eateries, but I admit DTD has more of that as well.

I LOVE Boardwalk, one of my favorite places in all of Disney (in or out of the parks)!
There isn't as much shopping as there is in Downtown Disney/PI, but the atmosphere is far and away miles better. Quite a few table service and quick service eateries, but I admit DTD has more of that as well.

Can you tell me more about the "quick service" eateries? Thanks!

I love the boardwalk area, but it isn't where I would go for a fun evening. Yes, Jellyrolls is there, as is Atlantic Dance Co. I like Jellyrolls, it's fun. Atlantic Dance I've never been into. ESPN Club is okay but not for any entertainment value. As for shopping, well, you'll get mostly Disney type stuff. There is an ESPN shop, Seashore Sweets which sells ice cream and candy. Then there is the Screen Door which is a small grocery type shop, Character Connection which sells Disney merchandise and some DVC stuff. Wyland Gallerys has a shop there as well.

If you're looking for fun as well as a few drinks, I would head to PI. I've been to PI several times and have yet to pay to get in. But, we don't do any of the clubs. We have just gotten a drink at one of the counter service type spots. Lots of decent shopping in DTD though.

Cool! Can you tell me (us) how?

Let's see... we ate once for lunch next to ESPN Club that served pizzas by the slice, various salads and other things like that; it was a take-out window, although there was seating inside if you wanted to go in (we ate outside by the lake :lovestruc ). There is also a nice bakery and a burger place that does quick service, but we didn't try either of those.
Hope this helps a little!

Oh, and I know Disney employee's are generally great wherever you go, but it just seems the happiest people work at Boardwalk (at least from my experiences).

Cool! Can you tell me (us) how?

You don't have to pay to get on PI. Only to get in the clubs. There are a few outside bars that you can get drinks from and stroll around with them.

You don't have to pay to get on PI. Only to get in the clubs. There are a few outside bars that you can get drinks from and stroll around with them.

Okay....but I've read on the WDW page there is a fee - like $17.95 or $21.95 ... what is that for?

Any other ideas, anyone?

Any specific restaurants or clubs you think they'd enjoy?

My sis and niece are both pretty hip and fun! :)

Thanks again for your help.

Okay....but I've read on the WDW page there is a fee - like $17.95 or $21.95 ... what is that for?

Unless it has changed, the $20.95 is for a pass to get into all of the clubs. But you don't need to pay if you stay outside the clubs and visit the bars outside.

No one has seemed to mention that if the go to BW and they are there in the evening you can also see some of the fireworks from Illuminations at EPCOT. Probably the 2 best locations to watch it is the bridge by ESPN heading towards the Beach club or the opposite bridge by ADH heading towards the Dolphin & Swan. They may even want to rent a Surrey Bike for a half hour and make the loop around the lake.

Unless it has changed, the $20.95 is for a pass to get into all of the clubs. But you don't need to pay if you stay outside the clubs and visit the bars outside.

Ok, that makes sense, thank you.

Also, does anyone know the best way to get from Movies to the Boardwalk?

(I'm so excited for them that I want to go, too! :( )

In 2005 my daughter, then 14, and I went to WDW for a mother-daughter trip. She accompanied me to PI and into the clubs -- I remember this very clearly because we were in the 80's club and there was Rick James, larger than life on the screen, singing "Give it to me Baby." We are going again in 2009 to celebrate graduation for her and my stepdaughter and we were talking about going to PI but now I read that the age is 21 and older. I called and the CM I spoke with said that it's always been 21 but I beg to differ. Does anyone else recall it being different? We had hoped that we could take the girls (who will both be 18) to the clubs, but.....................

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter