~Boardwalk vs. Pleasure Island for evening ~

In 2005 my daughter, then 14, and I went to WDW for a mother-daughter trip. She accompanied me to PI and into the clubs -- I remember this very clearly because we were in the 80's club and there was Rick James, larger than life on the screen, singing "Give it to me Baby." We are going again in 2009 to celebrate graduation for her and my stepdaughter and we were talking about going to PI but now I read that the age is 21 and older. I called and the CM I spoke with said that it's always been 21 but I beg to differ. Does anyone else recall it being different? We had hoped that we could take the girls (who will both be 18) to the clubs, but.....................

Yes, it's definitely 21 and older. Its on their website and also at the entrance from DD.

Hmmm.... unless.... that's just for entrance into the clubs??

Anyone know for sure?

It used to be all ages for the clubs but not any more.

Then they tried a closed access to PI (meaning you couldn't walk among them for free, but had to pay to even get on the Island) and a 21+ age limit, to try and boost attendance and booze sales to compete with other local clubs and get the locals coming. That didn't work.

Then they opened it up, went back to charging per club or an all-club pass, and pushed the age limit to 21+ to get into most of the clubs. The exceptions are Adventurers Club and the Comedy Warehouse.

I know it's spendy to get into, but if you have never been, you simply must go to Adventurers Club and spend a few hours there. If it looks dead and quiet, wait a little bit. Something fun and well worth it will soon happen. You will be so glad you did!

If you think you might come back multiple nights, consider getting an Annual Pass Plus one Guest. It is $99 for a year, and covers you and a guest any night any club. It pays for itself for two people if you plan to go more than two nights to PI!

I have stayed at Boardwalk, and didn't find it all that compelling as a nighttime destination. ESPN is a sports themed place, and it isn't really my scene. Atlantic Dance is deader than a doornail. I have never seen anyone in there. I wish they would do something with that place! And Jellyrolls is on my list for this year, as I ahve always wanted to go. I hear it can get quite raucous (I know it can, I have walked past when it was!), but is fun for many ages.

So what do you guys think of the Boardwalk area for an afternoon?

And how do you get there from the All Stars?

edited to add: Thanks Clotho, for the detailed reply!

To get to BW, take a bus to DHS and then either walk along the sidewalk that runs beside the canal or take a Friendship boat from DHS.
We've been to PI many times...there are some clubs you can get into if you are under 21, but not many. The Adventurers Club is one that comes to mind.
But basically PI is open to anyone. I've seen very young kids there, about 5 or 6, late at night with their parents!!

As far as heading to BW goes...I love it there, but that's my home away from home. I love everything about it. But, there really isn't all that much to do there. After about 7 or 8 pm, there are magicians and jugglers there, also musicians wandering around. But, that's about it. There is no entertainment during the daytime.
There are some restaurants....ESPN Zone, Spoodles, Boardwalk Bakery, Seashore Sweets, Big River Brewing, Flying Fish. But that's it. And the shops are pretty smallish...mostly stuff you can get at your own resort shops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter