Bob Iger Mentions the Official Disneyland Star Wars Opening Date

We have booked our tickets for November 9th. We didn't book because of SWGE, it's just a bonus. And...if everyone is headed over there, we will enjoy the rides elsewhere. We are not SW fans, and since it's my first trip to DL, I'll be excited no matter what. We did read that weekends are the busiest, so we will do the majority of our touring during the week, but will still hit the weekends for our 10 day trip. We plan on doing some other siteseeing as well. Can't wait, so glad we got our hotel right across the street from the entrance. Super excited not to have to deal with all the transportation needed to get from one park to another like in DW. Anyone recommend some good dining in the area?

... since it's my first trip to DL, I'll be excited no matter what. We did read that weekends are the busiest, so we will do the majority of our touring during the week, but will still hit the weekends for our 10 day trip...

You're off to a good start with a positive attitude! Where did you read that "weekends are the busiest"? That's not competely accurate at DLR. It depends on school calendars, event calendars, holidays, and the AP Blockout Calendar. You can find the school and event calendar thread on this forum. The AP Blockout Calendar is on the DLR website. Those have a very big effect on crowds at DLR. If the lower APs are blocked over a weekend and there aren't any big conventions or school breaks going on, the weekends can be really good at DLR. And Mondays (not a weekend day!) have become very busy days pretty consistently for over a year now. Last summer, most Mondays were busier than most Saturdays -- hands down. How SWGE will effect/change all this is yet to be seen. Keep reading this forum for updates -- you have the advantage of lots of time before your trip dates to get all the news, tips, strategies under your belt before your trip.
As for area restaurants, what kind of food do you like, how many are in your group (and ages?), and will you have a car?

You're off to a good start with a positive attitude! Where did you read that "weekends are the busiest"? That's not competely accurate at DLR. It depends on school calendars, event calendars, holidays, and the AP Blockout Calendar. You can find the school and event calendar thread on this forum. The AP Blockout Calendar is on the DLR website. Those have a very big effect on crowds at DLR. If the lower APs are blocked over a weekend and there aren't any big conventions or school breaks going on, the weekends can be really good at DLR. And Mondays (not a weekend day!) have become very busy days pretty consistently for over a year now. Last summer, most Mondays were busier than most Saturdays -- hands down. How SWGE will effect/change all this is yet to be seen. Keep reading this forum for updates -- you have the advantage of lots of time before your trip dates to get all the news, tips, strategies under your belt before your trip.
I usually go peak season and the AP effect is of course very real. In off-season (maybe early November for the OP) when entertainment is weekend only it would seem the busier weekend would make sense. But I don’t have a good feel for that. Maybe others do?

I usually go peak season and the AP effect is of course very real. In off-season (maybe early November for the OP) when entertainment is weekend only it would seem the busier weekend would make sense. But I don’t have a good feel for that. Maybe others do?
For Nov., I think it would depend on when Holiday Time starts. There has been some discussion here on whether it will be Nov. 8th or the 15th. Whichever date, the following weekend will be very busy if the lower APs are allowed in to see the holiday decorations and buy the merchandise. And even in the non-peak season, the lower AP effect can be felt once school/work gets out -- especially if there is an event or festival going on.
But my point was that this "sage advice" that gets thrown out that "weekends are busy days" doesn't really have firm backing at DLR. Much like promoting crowd calendar predictions around here as prophetic truth...

Well I am one of the (supposed) sages that has always believed in weekdays and recommended them. I know for summer peak season the AP blockout Saturdays really increases crowds on other days and especially Sundays. But I think there are times of year the sage advice still holds. I want to be giving good advice. And I myself always have a knee jerk preference for weekdays. :scratchin

Well I am one of the (supposed) sages that has always believed in weekdays and recommended them. I know for summer peak season the AP blockout Saturdays really increases crowds on other days and especially Sundays. But I think there are times of year the sage advice still holds. I want to be giving good advice. And I myself always have a knee jerk preference for weekdays. :scratchin
Weekdays are still good -- it just depends on which day! Apparently, too many people think Monday should be a great day... and so it usually isn't. Wednesdays are usually good to very good. Sundays over the past summer weren't that bad -- not like previous years. And now that Disney has split the block by parks, it will be interesting to see how that affects the crowds on which days -- and if it has a continuing, significant effect.
I just hate to see someone plan a trip blindly based on something from a guide book or on old information, then get blindsided. If Holiday Time does start on Nov. 8th, then the pp's first weekend will probably be very busy (unless it rains!) -- which could be pretty unsettling when one was expecting low crowds.

Weekdays are still good -- it just depends on which day! Apparently, too many people think Monday should be a great day... and so it usually isn't. Wednesdays are usually good to very good. Sundays over the past summer weren't that bad -- not like previous years. And now that Disney has split the block by parks, it will be interesting to see how that affects the crowds on which days -- and if it has a continuing, significant effect.
I just hate to see someone plan a trip blindly based on something from a guide book or on old information, then get blindsided. If Holiday Time does start on Nov. 8th, then the pp's first weekend will probably be very busy (unless it rains!) -- which could be pretty unsettling when one was expecting low crowds.
I am not in the parks often enough to really know. So I count on all of you to keep me informed about Mondays and things like that! :)

...the lower AP effect can be felt once school/work gets out -- especially if there is an event or festival going on.

That brings up a point that I had not considered before I booked my trip. My first park day (Thursday, December 12th) turns out to be the last day that Disney Southern California Select Passport holders have in the parks before their Christmas/New Year block out. I was imagining getting to spend a decent amount of time in SWGE and riding both new rides with little to no problem (thanks to EE & MP). Am I now in a world of hurt that day instead? :eek:

Last edited:
For Nov., I think it would depend on when Holiday Time starts. There has been some discussion here on whether it will be Nov. 8th or the 15th. Whichever date, the following weekend will be very busy if the lower APs are allowed in to see the holiday decorations and buy the merchandise. And even in the non-peak season, the lower AP effect can be felt once school/work gets out -- especially if there is an event or festival going on.
But my point was that this "sage advice" that gets thrown out that "weekends are busy days" doesn't really have firm backing at DLR. Much like promoting crowd calendar predictions around here as prophetic truth...

Unless I have a random day off of work..i always go to the parks on the weekends. Primarily Saturdays. In the spring when I got my AP I noticed the low Saturday crowds. I noticed the shift in Saturday crowds once the Deluxe AP’s opened in late summer. The Saturday’s during Halloweentime were brutal! I think that may have been why I only went twice (once In late September and then a Halloween party). I now notice that come October deluxe passes are blocked on Saturday, so Disney May have seen the impact on those crowds too.
I went the Saturday that started the holiday stuff and that was packed, but I excepted that. I haven’t gone on a Saturday yet this year..it’s been too cold lol.

So yeah this is my rambling thoughts on saturday crowds lol

That brings up a point that I had not considered before I booked my trip. My first park day (Thursday, December 12th) turns out to be the last day that Disney Southern California Select Passport holders have in the parks before their Christmas/New Year block out. I was imagining getting to spend a decent amount of time in SWGE and riding both new rides with little to no problem (thanks to EE & MP). Am I now in a world of hurt that day instead? :eek:
Since the 12th is a weekday, it probably won't see the big wave of SoCal Select APs until after school/work gets out. So use your morning hours to your full advantage! By the time the AP wave starts rolling in, you should be ready for a rest and stacking your FPs for later in the evening.

When does everyone think Disney will actually announce the opening day for SWGE? We will be there in mid to late June. I flip back and forth as to whether I hope it's open or not while we are there. I keep watching to see when they'll announce opening day and I guess I'm surprised they haven't yet.

When does everyone think Disney will actually announce the opening day for SWGE? We will be there in mid to late June. I flip back and forth as to whether I hope it's open or not while we are there. I keep watching to see when they'll announce opening day and I guess I'm surprised they haven't yet.

Most people seemed to think it was going in be in February. It could be any time really!

My guess is that they are trying to open as soon as possible, but they are maybe a bit behind due to weather delays, so they haven’t announced anything yet.

Most people seemed to think it was going in be in February. It could be any time really!

My guess is that they are trying to open as soon as possible, but they are maybe a bit behind due to weather delays, so they haven’t announced anything yet.
This.

:wizard:

As for area restaurants, what kind of food do you like, how many are in your group (and ages?), and will you have a car?
Thanks for all the tips. I read somewhere on these boards that locals tend to visit on the weekends, making them more busy. I'll check the blockout dates and school calendar. And yes, we have lots of time to check out the impact of SWGE before we go. No matter what, it's going to be great! We are a group of seven. The youngest are both teens. We all like Chinese and barbecue. We will uber to the restaurants, so would like them to be fairly close. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the tips. I read somewhere on these boards that locals tend to visit on the weekends, making them more busy. I'll check the blockout dates and school calendar...
Most locals have the lower tier APs, so when they are blocked out, the weekends can be very good. This can be offset by promotional tickets or special events taking place on weekends, but usually the more APs blocked on any particular day, the better.

ETA: This recent thread is a good example of the weekday vs. weekend debate (Best days of the week to visit Disneyland).

Last edited:
Woohoo! We already have our GCH reservation for July 5-14...hoping we can book flights this weekend after the official announcement!

I'm really trying not to get too excited about the possible announcement on Thursday but I can't help myself :banana:

We were @ DLR last week on Monday and Tuesday and are usual visitors in the "off-season" on weekend days. We definitely noticed a difference in crowd levels, though I'd still categorize it as busy, the crowds were obviously less dense, in our opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter