Bob - You missed the chance to correct Kevin's pronunciation!!

New England Eeyore

DIS Veteran
Just listened to the email show and heard Kevin read Pam from Peabody, MA's email.

Hi, Pam!! I'm from Peabody too! :wave:

Bob - I can't believe you missed your chance to correct someone's pronunciation (perhaps for the first time???)!!!

Kevin pronounced it Pea-body, which is, of course, how 99% of the world pronouces it. But in Massachusetts, that's wrong. Peabody is one of those strange Massachusetts towns (like Worcester, Gloucester, Leominster, Haverhill, the list goes on and on and on) that has a pronunciation only a Bostonian could love. Knowing how to say the names of those towns is even on those perennial lists - "You know you're from Massachusetts if..." (My other favorite from that list - because it is 100% true - "You cannot give directions without using at least one Dunkin Donuts as a landmark.")

I'll let those of you who don't know guess what the correct pronunciation is. ;)

Well, in the prior show, Kevin didn't prounounce "Sevierville" (Tennessee) the way we do it here, so he is keeping up the pace. (It is prounonced "severe-ville" not like the baseball pitcher.) If I had a dime for all the towns I've misprounced. . . . there are some names I just don't say anymore.

Bob - I can't believe you missed your chance to correct someone's pronunciation (perhaps for the first time???)!!!

Kevin pronounced it Pea-body, which is, of course, how 99% of the world pronouces it. But in Massachusetts, that's wrong.

We're in FL.... which is part of the 99%.

I'm from upstate New York. We have Watervliet, Coeymans, Rensselaer, Coxsackie, Schaghticoke (which is Rensselaer county), Canojaharie and Irondequoit.

I think we're evenly matched.

Let's ask Bob.

How anyone mess up Weymouth?

Would I get stared at if I said "Way-mouth" or "Weigh mouth"? The last time that we were in Boston...we did not grasp the Boston way of saying "Worcester" along with other local cities. The hotel van driver tried his best for 3 days.

Flyover country has some, too. Let's all try "Louisville" :) Lewisville...Looeyville...Loo-a-vull.... Bacon ...Spam...

It's ok Kevin..we still like you! :)

No one can say my town correctly either... Quincy!

Can I play, too?? Let's not forget Woburn, Taunton, Raynham....:lmao:

Kevin pronounced it Pea-body, which is, of course, how 99% of the world pronouces it. But in Massachusetts, that's wrong.

Years ago I heard Boston radio talk show host Jerry Williams take a call from someone who said, "Hi Jerry, I'm calling from 'Pea-body'", to which Jerry immediately replied, "No you're not", and hung up.

Len from Framingham (with a long 'a')

Haverhill, Billerica and Woburn are more of them. When I hang out in Boston in the summer, I'm often asked how to get to Cope-ly square.

Of course, we also seem to drop other letters along with the R's. Chelmsford is always pronounced Chemsfahd and Medford, Meffahd

I have to admit, I chuckled when I heard Pea-body and I was waiting for Bob to correct him. Hey, You'll get them next time Bawb!!!

What part of MA. is Bob from?

So just how DO you pronounce Peabody? :confused3

I can do Worcester. And we have a Gloucester here in NJ- along with lots of other tough towns to pronounce.

But I am curious about Peabody.

So just how DO you pronounce Peabody? :confused3

I can do Worcester. And we have a Gloucester here in NJ- along with lots of other tough towns to pronounce.

But I am curious about Peabody.

Peabitty:rotfl2: but, you have to say it fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter