Bob - You missed the chance to correct Kevin's pronunciation!!

Kind of like how most of the country mis pronounces, Carnegie. If you are from Pittsburgh you KNOW how to pronounce it. carNEGie, not CARNegie. Hey the man called Pittsburgh home. And set up all those libraries and built a museum and a college and a town. All called carNEGie.

Kim

We're in FL.... which is part of the 99%.

I'm from upstate New York. We have Watervliet, Coeymans, Rensselaer, Coxsackie, Schaghticoke (which is Rensselaer county), Canojaharie and Irondequoit.

I think we're evenly matched.

Let's ask Bob.

Kevin, don't forget Oneoneta! We're from here and can't get this one right!:rotfl:

I laughed at Weston-Super-Mare on the email podcast. The Mare bit is pronounced like the female horse not mar like to spoil something.

That made me laugh a lot! :rotfl2:

Look at the Washington state map sometime if you want to find some other interesting city names -- many of which were influenced by the various Native American Indian tribes that had already settled in the area. We've got some doozies!

Here in Alaska we also have some dumbly pronounced names. I attribute it to a mix of Russian, Native and Stupid origins. We of course have our capital, Juneau, which most cannot pronounce. Then there's Kenai, Quinhagak, (don't even ask) Unalaska, (which isn't hard to pronounce but why?), Tok and hopefully everyone can pronounce Chicken! Nuff said! You go Bawb!

Just listened to the email show and heard Kevin read Pam from Peabody, MA's email.

Hi, Pam!! I'm from Peabody too! :wave:

Bob - I can't believe you missed your chance to correct someone's pronunciation (perhaps for the first time???)!!!

Kevin pronounced it Pea-body, which is, of course, how 99% of the world pronouces it. But in Massachusetts, that's wrong. Peabody is one of those strange Massachusetts towns (like Worcester, Gloucester, Leominster, Haverhill, the list goes on and on and on) that has a pronunciation only a Bostonian could love. Knowing how to say the names of those towns is even on those perennial lists - "You know you're from Massachusetts if..." (My other favorite from that list - because it is 100% true - "You cannot give directions without using at least one Dunkin Donuts as a landmark.")

I'll let those of you who don't know guess what the correct pronunciation is. ;)

I am in southern Maine and only about an hour from P'b'dy...:lmao: ...and totally thought the same thing. I was like, WAKE UP BOB! Here is your chance! :rotfl2:

I'm from MA so I know how to pronounce all those towns. But I also know how to pronounce New Orleans like Julie and Corey. :-)

We're in FL.... which is part of the 99%.

I'm from upstate New York. We have Watervliet, Coeymans, Rensselaer, Coxsackie, Schaghticoke (which is Rensselaer county), Canojaharie and Irondequoit.

I think we're evenly matched.

Let's ask Bob.

Don't forget Greenwich, (Upstate) NY, where I live, which isn't pronounced like the Village in NYC nor the city in CT. Here the natives get restless if you don't pronounce it Green-witch, like our school's mascot. Of course, we're only an hour from Massachusetts and there is probably some phonetic carryover.

In Kevin's defense, he said my town right, which is Muscatine. No one ever says it right.

I'm sure that I could get maybe two of the cities that have been listed correctly. However, if we live in a democracy and majority wins, wouldn't the 90% be right and the 10% be wrong?

Look at the Washington state map sometime if you want to find some other interesting city names -- many of which were influenced by the various Native American Indian tribes that had already settled in the area. We've got some doozies!

I was wondering if someone was going to bring up the Native American influence of city names. I have some trouble with the English influence like Worcester (worster?) or Leominster but I can do Wayzata, Mahtomedi, Bemidji, Pokegama, Winnibegosh (I just have fun saying that one) or Cokato.

Isn't it interesting to think about the cities that you grew up around and sound normal to you are really different to everyone else?

Can I play, too?? Let's not forget Woburn, Taunton, Raynham....:lmao:

I cant believe I missed this thread. :laughing:

Yes, I'm from Woobin, not Whoa-Burn. Or as the HS kids now call it..."The Wu"

Even living nearby the one that drives me nuts is when people from Saugus call it Saugust. DH is from Melrose with a lot of friends from Saugus and he is convinced there is a t at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter