BOG worth it with grandparents who haven’t seen the film?

Skipper Canteen is wonderful. Just sayin'.

Meanwhile, you're taking adults who've never been to WDW and you're going to spend most of your time at MK? Even kids like the other 3 parks, Maybe spread out the visit among the 4 parks? The crowds, noise, and chaos at MK can be extremely wearing.

Unless by "most of your time" you mean that you've got a weekend trip planned and you're going to spend it at MK. In that case, I get it. But if you're talking about a week-long trip, you might want to reconsider spending too much of it at MK.
Four full days, one resort, one Epcot two Magic Kingdom. In part because all my son’s favorite rides are there and in part because my in-laws weren’t able to visit when they were younger so Magic Kingdom is the park they dreamed about visiting. That’s why I’m hoping to get in the “classic” experiences that scream “Disney!”.

I would look at the menus and price to decide if you want to eat there. We have not had a bad meal there, but others have not had the same experience. I'm not a fan of the large room. While it does look very nice, it can be extremely loud . Prefer one of the smaller side rooms.
Of the 2, we prefer Skippers every time.

It would never occur to me to connect the movie to eating at this restaurant.
I probably should have been more specific - I don't even think they know who Belle and the Beast are, so the pictures in the library, dancing Beauty and the Beast statue, and falling rose petals (really the whole West Wing) wouldn't make sense to them. Like "Why the heck are we eating in a room with slashed up portraits and fabric everywhere?". Cinderella they would definitely know though, so CRT might be a good alternative - just trying to decide what is most "nostalgic" (around era 1950-60) Disney for the grands.

Thanks for all the input. I had thought about CRT but don’t think my son would do well with the somewhat more formal setting as he has trouble sitting still. Also thought about just going over to Chef Mickey’s but since I’m hoping to get Garden Grill and Crystal Palace, that seemed like a lot of character meals. If we don’t do BOG, I’m thinking maybe Skipper’s Canteen or an early dinner at Ohana, which would give us a monorail ride too.
I’d do Skipper’s. The atmosphere is not cool enough to a newbie when they see the absurd price tag of BOG. Also much easier to snag your kid if he tries to make a table escape there 😆 Nice part about Skippers is it’s smack dab in Adventureland, the monorail ride sounds fun but when everyone is exhausted and grouchy and sweaty it’s very nice to have an AC break right there in the park.

It would never occur to me to connect the movie to eating at this restaurant.

My family isn't big on the movie so when the waitress asked us a question that I guess would have a commonly known answer, but we were clueless...she looked at us like we were the dumbest people ever. :D

Cinderella they would definitely know though, so CRT might be a good alternative - just trying to decide what is most "nostalgic" (around era 1950-60) Disney for the grands.

Sounds like they're my "vintage." Cinderella was my fave character as a kid.

They'll also likely know the fairy tales for Aurora, Jasmine and Ariel if not those Disney movies, though may not associate those Princesses' names with their respective movies. Snow White was widely shown in the 50s. They may recall it fondly.

On that basis as well as the food and service quality, I'd go with CRT without a doubt.

I would recommend Hoop Dee Doo Revue for classic WDW experiences. Some people think it's corny and cheesy, but that is what I love about it.
Second this!

I have fond memories of waving my napkin around and using spoons on the washboard from 1997! The nostalgia factor is definitely there, it's a laugh-a-minute show with audience participation, and it's a classic WDW experience.

I can't wait to take my own kids and see how they enjoy it.

just trying to decide what is most "nostalgic" (around era 1950-60) Disney for the grands.
Most nostalgic princesses for that age group (it’s ours, too) would likely be Cinderella and Aurora, because we were kids when those movies came out. Ariel, Jasmine, Belle, and later came during/after the Disney Animation renaissance in the 1980s and onward. So they may be familiar with those princesses from taking their own kids to those movies, but for me they’re not nostalgic.

IOW, CRT would likely wow them more than BoG, if you’re looking for nostalgia.

Maybe I'm of the peculiar few, but despite eating at CRT numerous times, getting to go inside and eat IN THE CASTLE is still a thrill.

I grew up on Walt's Disneyland tv shows. Either castle says, "This is the heart of Disney fantasy," to me.

Make dinner there so you'll come out in time for the fireworks.

THAT would be vintage folks' nostalgia candy.

Maybe I'm of the peculiar few, but despite eating at CRT numerous times, getting to go inside and eat IN THE CASTLE is still a thrill.

I grew up on Walt's Disneyland tv shows. Either castle says, "This is the heart of Disney fantasy," to me.

Make dinner there so you'll come out in time for the fireworks.

THAT would be vintage folks' nostalgia candy.
I think you and I are from the same generation. Walt was like an uncle to me, and I saw him every week, a lot more often than I saw my real uncles!

I think you and I are from the same generation. Walt was like an uncle to me, and I saw him every week, a lot more often than I saw my real uncles!

Must be of my vintage, particularly if 70 is in your rearview mirror. 😁

I often refer to Uncle Walt on these boards. Certainly did see him more often than my actual uncles, too.

My parents once took us to the local A&W Drive-in for Sunday supper and couldn't figure out why my sister and I were upset. We generally begged to eat there and didn't often get to. Mom quickly realized why and remarked something about never dreaming a show we could see every week was a bigger thrill than burgers, fries and root beer.

Sure was, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter