Boma,Rainforest,Luau gold plan - Day 4

dansyr

I'm a loser
Day 4
I think the only day we actually ate 3 meals.

Ok, the plan for the day was AK so we planned our meals around that.

Breakfast - Boma

We headed to Akl around 9:30. We were seated within 10 min....btw we didn't have a ps.

Our server was very nice...but I don't remember her name. We started with some frunch juice.....really good ....and a press pot of coffee....better than really good.
First round - I got a grapefruit and some pastries....very fresh.
Second round - we tried all the traditional breakfast fare...eggs bacon, hot cereal and such.....couldn't find anything I didn't like.
Round 3 - was pretty full by now but tried a bite or two of the breakfast pizzas, and the quiche like thing....can't remember the name....ok...but not outstanding.
I was planning on trying an omelet...but just too full.
Our bill would've been around $60.
rating 4
I would definitely like to try dinner here. BTW...this resort is gorgeous....got dbf to let me book a return trip with the comeback rate for this year.

lunch - Rainforest cafe at AKL

We decided to eat lunch around 2:45. We always wanted to try this place but there was always a really long line. This time we lucked out. With no ps ...we were seated within 15 min. Our waiter was very efficient and pleasant. We told him we were on the gold plan and he was great about making suggestions.
For appetizers I decided on the calamari and dbf order buffalo wings. My calamari was very good....not too tough. DBF exclaimed about the sauce on the wings and it was great.
For entrees I ordered the king crab legs. They were really good ...so many I couldn't finish them. Our server talked dbf into adding a filet mignon to his crab leg entree. Both the filet and his crab legs were very good. Even dbf said the entree kicked his butt. There was no way he could come close to finishing it. DBF prides himself on the quantity of food he could consume. For dessert I decided on the bananas foster. I asked dbf to share with me but he said...no way...he was too full...but being that we were on the gold plan....I ordered it anyway. Well....Mr. Full ate more than half of my bananas foster. I really likes this dessert. It was very refreshing and not overly sweet. Dbf and I both ordered latte's also...mine a vanilla one.
The bill would have been around $150. I think that was due to the filet added to the crab leg entree.
rating 4 1/2

dinner - Polynesian luau
This was a really nice dinner show. Dbf loved it and couldn't stop talking about it. He keeps saying how he wants to go again next time.
When we were seated at our table there was already a plate with our apps. Our server came over and took our drink orders and explained the menu.
The apps are coconut bread...actually really good ...just a hint of coconut flavor
fresh pineapple, and salad. The salad was a surprise. I didn't think I would like it because it had mandarin oranges. I don't like fruit mixed in with my food. It was actually pretty good. The dressing was kind of a sweet and sour type of dressing. I also ordered a glass of chablis and dbf a glass of cabernet sauvignon. These 2 types of wines and 2 types of beer are included with your meal. I think the beers were bud and bud light.
I didn't really care for the wine too much. I was kinda warm. DBF talked me into ordering a specialty drink. He ordered....you guessed it ...a margarita......and I had the pele's fire punch. They both came in a cute souvenir glass and mine had a electric ice cube.
After the intro to the show...out came the main course...chicken, ribs, island rice, and mixed vegetables.
The chicken was just ok.....dbf loved the ribs...I was lucky to get one of them. The rice was good and the vegetables ....squash, carrots and such were really good.....not to soggy...I hate soggy veggies.
As we ate the show continued...I've heard quite a few bad reviews of the show ....but we really enjoyed it.
For dessert we there were volcano cakes. The make a big presentation of bringing them out under smoking volcanos. I'm not exactly sure what these cakes are but they're really good. They seem to be a vanilla cake with a chocolatey berryish type of filling. DBF who is generally not a dessert kinda guy...ate his and half of mine.
I think the cost of this meal is about $110...but not exactly sure.
rating - food 3 1/2
show - 4 1/2

Headed to Tambu lounge afterwards after a walk on the beach. I had a pina colada....this one was a little too sweet
dbf - had 3 zombies.....and yes they did turn him into one later in the evening....lol
:smooth:

Dansyr-How did the gold plan work out for you?

Any details from experience appreciated.

Thanks for all the great reviews!

You mentioned breakfast pizzas at Boma. Did they have any of the plain ones. Last year we went to Donalds and I had seen breakfast pizza on their menu. DS & I were happy because we love the plain one at Chef Mickeys. However, when we got there it had all sorts of stuff on it(maybe peppers and onions). We are thinking about trying Boma, and a plain breakfast pizza would really make DS happy about it(and me too).

Fantastic reviews - thanks so much for sharing them!!! I am ready to book the luau for our October trip!

CamColt

Yes, they did have one plain one. I think it just had eggs and cheese. They also had one with a whole bunch of stuff on it.

mom_rules

It worked out pretty well for us. We didn't take advantage of alot of the things offered because there just wasn't time. I will admit eating sit down meals all the time takes up alot of your day. All in all, I believe we still did get our money's worth.

Some tips

Unless you start very early...you will never get in 3 sit down meals a day.

I would choose 2 of the more expensive restaraunts for your main meals and maybe use a wish at counterservice restaraunt if you are determined to eat 3 meals. Most or our dinners ended up being at least $60 a person. So if you are figuring to make out...you need to eat at least $30 worth of food a person per meal to equal out what you paid for the package ...you can still make out eating only 2 meals.

If you have any must do's...plan your meals at least an hour and a half before these or you will miss them.

If you are going during a busy time...make ps's

Definitely take advantage of your La Nouba vouchers. The show was awesome and it would normally cost you about $75 a person.

Tell your server you are on the gold plan. Some will make suggestions to maximize your wishes. At Rainforest, dbf was offered to add a filet to his crab legs....would have probably cost over $40 just for his entree.

Carry all your vouchers with you. You may end up somewhere where you can use them and unless you physically have them they will not honor them.

Unfortunately, you will need to plan or you will end up eating meal on top of meal.

Remember to check your receipts.... they will show how many wishes you have left.

Know what is included for each meal. Some servers are new and do not know alot about your plan.

This plan is good for someone who enjoys good food....and is looking more for convenience than value. If you would rather eat at buffets and counterservice you will not get your money's worth. It is an expensive package so if you are planning a budget trip this is not the plan for you.

Dbf and I decided we will do this plan again on our major trips. We loved eating at the nicer restaraunts. Next time we plan to take advantage of your options for tours and watercraft rental which we did not use at all this time.

Thanks for the info!! I'm a planned person (very type A). I have all my ressies, PS, watersports, tours, La Nouba already made (except for Fulton's-only take PS 30 days in advance). I can't wait! Rest of my DF is just along for the ride-they just want to know where to be when and are happy that someone else has done all the leg-work!

If you haven't already somewhere else can you post a little review on La Nouba. Another great post, thanks for taking the time.

Alice Sr.

When I get a moment I would be happy to post a review of La Nouba. It was a great show.

Hi, I've enjoyed all your great reviews. You advised to carry all your vouchers with you which I think is a really good idea but what vouchers did disney give you? Did you have a voucher for each meal or just the activities?

I also wanted to ask if the Garden View Lounge at the Grand Floridian was included in the gold plan? I would really like to have afternoon tea there. Thank you.

Do they still give you vouchers to access preferred viewing areas for parades and fireworks?

They give you vouchers for La Nouba and also for each preferred viewing area. I'm not sure if the tea was included....it should be. I would e-mail guest services and check it out.

mom-rules
They give you vouchers for fantasy in the sky fireworks, Jammin Jungle parade, and illuminations.
Also a voucher for your choice feature...which for us happened to be leave a legacy and for your pins and lanyards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter