"Bomb Tires" strike again

Syndrome

Who's super now?
Well after a great stay at the Fort last week , and NO trouble at all on the 1100 mile trip TO the fort from PA ..........the dreaded "Bomb tires" got us on the way home ! ( Internet RV forums are calling this problem "China Bombs")
Left the Fort around 10 am on Sunday , and headed home on 417 towards Sanford , then jumped on Route 4 then to 95 to continue north to PA .
At about 2 hours into the journey , while on RT95 (traffic on 4) , felt a small vibration , and while I was trying to decipher if it was a road pavement issue, or tire issue ...........heard a LOUD Bang, and we blew a tire (and trailer fender) on the passenger side on 95 just north of St Augustine . Got over to the side of RT95 ........thankful I am NOT overloaded and have 3/4 ton 2500 Suburban ! Was able to get it swapped out with a spare , and remove the DESTROYED trailer fender in about 1/2 hour on the side of 95 . Immediately found the next exit to replace the spare at a tire shop (since we didnt have a spare any more) . Found a GREAT Goodyear tire shop in ST. Johns Florida right off RT95 who had the correct size to replace our blown spare and was able to put it on for us in literally a 1/2 hour ! What great service and location !
OK, time to get back on the road .......... about 10-15 minutes later , had another one go BOOM . Yes 10 minutes later ! This time it was on the drivers side , again right on RT 95 . Fender not quite blown off, but destroyed . Luckily I was able to pull WAY over and give some room between me , the drivers side of the RV, and RT95 ! Got that one changed out in about 20 minutes (Hey I am getting better at this !) . Good thing we got the spare replaced ASAP less than an hour ago ! ! Now we have NO spare AGAIN ! Called the Goodyear store , to turn around and get ALL the tires replaced ......and they didnt have 3 more left . The great guy at the Goodyear place (Shout out to DOUG !) , called the next Goodyear on our way in Jacksonville , and confirmed they had 3 correct tires, and told them we were coming. About halfway to the second Goodyear shop , I felt a small vibration again (now we had no spare left) I slowed down to about 50 , and slowley ticked off the 10 miles to Jacksonville Goodyear . MADE IT ! We pulled in , and they were waiting for us . In about an hour , they had the other 3 tires replaced , and the spare back in place . Again, another GREAT Goodyear shop and service at the Goodyear in Jacksonville !
Had all 4 tires replaced now with Goodyear Endurance tires for a safer uneventful trip back home . Finally got out of Florida at about 5pm . So, about 7 hours from the Fort to get out of Florida via 95 because of the tire issues . Very thankful , as it could have been much worse . It was a Sunday, and Goodyear in St Johns, and Jacksonville REALLY came through for us !
About 1K later for 4 new tires .........and 2 new trailer fenders now. ALL in ALL , happy it wasn't any worse , or in a worse spot, or in the middle of the night or ............. well you know. Have to stay positive , it could have been MUCH worse . Home safe and sound now .........2 new trailer fenders on order .

Just for the record, the cheap "Bomb" tires that blew were Towmax PowerKings (Google China Bomb Power King) . Lesson Learned .

I know .........pics or it didnt happen .

3rLypRz.jpg

FhpYwyG.jpg

Last edited:
That sucks. At least you got new shoes for the rig.

Yes, was planning on changing out the tires anyway with the Goodyear Endurance tires ...........just not while on a "road trip" far from home, lol !

On the positive side , found a great over night boondocking site on the way home (that wasnt a Cracker Barrel like on the trip down) . We overnighted at Cabelas on 77 right at the South/North Carolina border by Carowinds . Was only 1 other RV in the RV spots when we got there about 11pm . Nice, safe and quiet. 2 tractor trailers pulled in during the night (sign says NO tractor trailers allowed) , and one of them even had had the nerve to park in the dump station spot (yes, they had a dump station for RV's !!! ) Good thing we didnt have to use the dump station, or I would have been knocking on the door !

Last edited:

So glad you weren't hurt and got all tires changed safely. You may have seen it on a previous post by me but our RV blew two tires at different times on the same trip but the last time took out some of the bathroom floor and toilet plumbing. My car that was being towed wasn't too clean after that blowout - yuk.

If it HAD to happen, and it did 'cause I see your pics, you were so fortunate the way it turned out. Good piloting on your part to keep it upright and pointed forward. Good job Syndrome!
Any thoughts to installing a tire pressure monitor system? I know that topic is discussed elsewhere but had to ask if this experience has prompted your reevaluation.
Again, great job and thanks for sharing!

If it HAD to happen, and it did 'cause I see your pics, you were so fortunate the way it turned out. Good piloting on your part to keep it upright and pointed forward. Good job Syndrome!
Any thoughts to installing a tire pressure monitor system? I know that topic is discussed elsewhere but had to ask if this experience has prompted your reevaluation.
Again, great job and thanks for sharing!
I installed one on my horse trailer. I don’t find it tremendously useful while on the road moving, but it’s very handy to be able to check everything when at a fuel station and add air where you need it without having to mess around with each of 6 tires.

I installed one on my horse trailer. I don’t find it tremendously useful while on the road moving....
Conversely, I found it useful on our 5er en route Alaska. It gave us a warning of a "low tire pressure" at 65psi, down from 80 which triggered the alarm. With no other indications like vibration or smoke in the mirrors, a potential flat tire was averted. The best situation would have been having one of two tires on that side go flat eventually flopping around doing damage. Apparently, it picked up a rock that worked itself through the tire and created the leak. I won't go anywhere without one.

Yes, at least no major harm was done and everyone is safe .
I will tell you this ...........I cringe to think of what the outcome would have been if it were a single axle trailer ! Having the double axles and 3 good tires to carry the load when each tire blew so I could get over safely was a godsend .
Only double axle trailers for me from here on out , plus better tires would help . May even carry 2 spares from now on .

I cant really say if a TPMS system on the trailer would have helped in this situation . It was about a 1/4 mile from feeling the initial "very" slight vibration to total blowout and tire shredded . Both tires had the tread all shreaded, but the second one had a very clear "slice" from the tread to the rim. Just a perfect slice , like it was cut with a knife . Must have been an internal failure, cause these tires were perfect looking on the outside . I check them at every rest/fuel stop .

I always carry 2 spares. The one time i didnt, i got a flat , lol. This was during the height of the covid, and not many places were open and i was 4 hours away from home. Not a fun feeling. Always 2 extras from here on out.

Yes, at least no major harm was done and everyone is safe .
I will tell you this ...........I cringe to think of what the outcome would have been if it were a single axle trailer ! Having the double axles and 3 good tires to carry the load when each tire blew so I could get over safely was a godsend .
Only double axle trailers for me from here on out , plus better tires would help . May even carry 2 spares from now on .

I cant really say if a TPMS system on the trailer would have helped in this situation . It was about a 1/4 mile from feeling the initial "very" slight vibration to total blowout and tire shredded . Both tires had the tread all shreaded, but the second one had a very clear "slice" from the tread to the rim. Just a perfect slice , like it was cut with a knife . Must have been an internal failure, cause these tires were perfect looking on the outside . I check them at every rest/fuel stop .

You said it was like a slice. It may have been. When these trailers are turned and backed in the way we sometimes have to the sidewalls seriously deflect. It is possible. We had switched our trailer over to Boar tires and wheels, so we would not have a blowout. The tires were also rated to 80K miles. We then sold our fifth wheel, so someone got a really good deal and will not need tires any time soon.

We then sold our fifth wheel, so someone got a really good deal and will not need tires any time soon.

Same here , lol . Just made up our minds , that our 32' was a little to big to comfortably tow 2200 miles round trip to the Fort every time . Wouldnt you know it ....... 2 flats on the way home, 4 new tires in total , PLUS 2 new trailer fenders on order . All to the tune of about $1K - just to bring it home and sell it, lol . Like you said , someone will not be needing tires soon, lol .
We decided we are getting a new smaller "traveling" RV. Something between our 32' Outback, and our NuCamp T@B 320 teardrop . It WILL be a dual axle trailer , lol . Looking for around a 22'-24' 4k-5k empty unit, that will fit our traveling style perfect , plus big enough for longer comfortable stays (like the Fort) . Must be totally usable with slides in as well .
So far we are leaning towards the Winnebago 2108 series , prob the 2108 TB (with twin/king bed) . Should be an easy tow for our 3/4 Suburban 8.1 . I like that !

If you haven't done so, have the trailer tires balanced.
A lot of people, shops, don't do it. It will make for longer tire life and a smoother ride for the rig even though you can't feel it.
The new sneakers will love you for it!!

My son has a Winnie 5th wheel he's owned for 18 months. He'd heard about these "bomb" tires on the Winnebago forums, so he decided to order new tires for his rig (which have not come in yet). After towing his RV home from some warranty work at the dealer Friday, he noticed a tire had gone flat in the driveway. This is what he found. 569104

Wow, good thing he caught it sitting in the driveway before it went "boom" while in transit . Looks like the classic "bomb tire" delamination problem . When they go while in transit , all that delaminated rubber / metal starts to fly around and around wrecking everything in its path .
I would highly recommend replacing those with Goodyear Endurance tires (he may already know that !) .

Good catch in the driveway !

Last edited:
That is so scary! But good safety reminder for all types of transport.
I took my car in for oil change and multipoint inspection in December and turns out leaving your car sitting and parked on street in Florida for Covid Year ( weekly quick trip to Publix or Target only ) will create lots of mold issues and destroyed my tires.
Please inspect your tires no matter what you are driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter