BOOKED! Advice on Hong Kong and Tokyo Disney

frangipanisam

Mouseketeer
I haven't been on the boards for quite awhile, when you don't have a Disney trip in the future it's depressing to see everyone busy planning their trips!

I went to Disneyland in Oct/Nov 2012 and I'm a school teacher and with 3 years before I can use long service leave, I have to rely on school holiday periods for holidays. Which can be a nightmare! I did go to Hawaii over New Years with family and that was amazing but man those flights hurt! My biggest problem has always been a travel buddy. I'm single and there doesn't seem to be a magic way to change that- all the decent men are gone already! My one single girlfriend (also a teacher) has been on the fence and there haven't been any great deals to push us.

So I found quite decent Syd to LA flights for April school holidays, absolute shocker! $1350 return. She said she'd think about it and has decided that because she's doing the US in September holidays with her family (including Disneyland) she wants somewhere different. I get that but it breaks my heart that my dream of doing Disneyland for the 60th is probably not going to happen :sad:

One of her girlfriends suggested Hong Kong or Tokyo to keep the Disney factor. The flights both seemed reasonable but both seemed like short trips for the money being spent. So I played on Expedia and found Sydney-Hong Kong-Tokyo-Brisbane (stopover)-Sydney for $1256 each. Doing Tokyo to Sydney direct bumped it to $8603!! Obviously there could be other deals but I'd take 90 minutes in Brisbane over that price!!

I'm undecided because I would only want to do the Disney parks and maybe a little bit of shopping. It's not an area of the world I've thought about, Europe was my next choice. She wants to explore more than that but given the language barrier and two single girls I'm worried venturing beyond the Disney bubbles. I'm also not the biggest fan of Asian flavours, lemon chicken is about it.

Geez this became a novel quickly! Basically what would you recommend doing and seeing if you were doing both parks? And staying! I've had a little look on the HK and Tokyo boards but thought I'd post here first.

Convince me pixiedust:

We recently went to Tokyo and I would have no concerns going as a pair of females. It felt very safe. I'd recommend hiring a tour guide for the day in Tokyo, which helps you get organized and acclimatized. There is a lot to see and do around Tokyo. Tokyo DL is awesome. We stayed at the Disneyland hotel and it was very posh and super convenient to the parks. Many signs are in English in Tokyo, and people are helpful when asked. Once you master the subway (and we did after a few days), it is easy to get around on your own.

Food will be an issue unless you stick with Western restaurants and McDonalds. It's possible to avoid asian food, but difficult depending on where you go. I found Tokyo very cosmopolitan around food - every kind of restaurant you can imagine. But in the smaller places like museums or train stations, it is pretty much 100% asian.

I'd really recommend Tokyo and Tokyo Disney. It was a great trip for us.

:wave: Hope you've been well. Do you want to do both HK and Japan in the same trip?

I haven't gone to Japan but there are a few of the Dis-sers here who have. You might even find a few TRs on Japan (including TDL) on the boards written by Aussies.
My report on HK and HKDL can be found on the HK section (or from the link in my siggie below). I know Zanzibar has written at least 2 TRs herself on HKDL.

If your motivation is purely for the Disney experience, then I suspect Japan may be the better experience. The Disney park at Hong Kong is small, but there is enough to keep you amused for 2 - 3 days. By all accounts, the best Disney park in the world is Disney Sea.

There have been a few deals to HK and Tokyo this year. Flights to HK can be around the $800 mark; and I think flights to Tokyo can also be around the same price. I have a feeling that there were Jetstar deals to Japan this year around the $650 - $700 mark. I cannot remember the dates.

Good luck working out if you want to go or not. FWIW, we had no issues in HK; language wasn't a barrier for us. I would go to Hong Kong for HK itself, and have a bit of Disney on the side.

From everything I have heard Disneyland HK is like DLR red headed step child....with mystic manor

Thanks guys. I will check out some more of the Aussie TR's. I had a read through of Batty Mum's from 2013. It would be to do both parks in the same trip, it's just a matter of what extras to do. We'd do HK first and then finish with a big Disney bang in Tokyo.

Great to hear that I won't starve! I'm the odd one out with my family and friends when it comes to not enjoying Asian flavours.

If you really want to see the 60th at DLR, you could always fly to LA yourself, do your few days at DLR, then meet up with your friend in Hong Kong or Japan on the way home - just putting it out there ;)

I haven't been to Japan, but I hear the Disney parks there are pretty good, especially DisneySea. I couldn't go all that way without seeing at least some of Japan though. That would be my choice for a longer trip.

I think of HK as kind of a stopover destination. PIO has certainly proven that there is enough there to make it a holiday on its own, but when I've been, it's just been a few days at DL on my way to/from somewhere else. I have yet to see much of the actual city.

FWIW I would say both destinations would be perfectly safe for two single ladies to explore together. I was perfectly happy to spend a few days on my own in HK if my husband hadn't shown up to surprise me. It's very easy to get around - the train is brilliant! Most signs are in English as well as Cantonese.

I haven't been to Japan but some of my family members are regular visitors there, and they say they couldn't have felt any safer. Such a clean, and polite country. I have been to HK a couple of times, and also felt very safe. I went shopping alone at night in HK when my kids were back at the hotel sleeping with my husband. I was nervous about it but quickly became relaxed as there was no huge language barrier. Most people can speak English too, and I was always assisted by staff at the shops in English, the locals were also very polite, always giving me a seat on the trains when I was holding my sleeping two year old.

I can't recommend Tokyo and especially Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea highly enough.

Language is not an issue. The vast majority of signs are also in English. And, even though they may not speak perfect English, the locals are only too willing to help as much as they can. Provide that you learn the most basic phrases like hello, thank you and excuse me, you will be fine.

Food is also not an issue. I would try adding a few Japanese staples to your palette before you go (e.g. chicken/pork curry), but there are an abundance of Western fast food restaurants which should meet your needs. At the very least McDonalds appears to be almost everywhere.

I enjoy shopping in Tokyo, but pretty much only at Uniqlo. I'm not sure whether you meant clothes shopping or some other kind of shopping (e.g. art, souvenirs, home wares, etc). They do have some cool stores, but I don't think they're particularly cheap. The 100 Yen stores are awesome for souvenirs, stationery and odd bits and pieces.

There are plenty of things to do and see around Tokyo and getting around by train/subway is pretty easy. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but you get used to the train stations and the crazily complicated looking maps.

Although I liked Hong Kong Disneyland, it simply can't compare to Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea which is obviously much bigger, better themed and is maintained and staffed to an extremely high standard. Of the two, I would definitely recommend Tokyo. But, Hong Kong was enjoyable and it may be better for shopping, depending upon what you're after. It also has plenty of things to do and see.

From everything I have heard Disneyland HK is like DLR red headed step child....with mystic manor

I was a bit let down by the park and I went before mystic manor was there! I was done in about 5 hours. So small and just not alot to do. Saying that the quality was very much there and it looked great. Its the kinda park if we had in Australia we would be very happy compared to what we have here but on an international scale its not up there with other Disney parks.

Tokyo DL was amazing and I second comments on feeling safe and getting around. We loved all of Japan and there are some good day trips out of Tokyo as well as lots to see and do in the city. You should be able to find some acceptable food even just in 7-11 type stores but no doubt, western style food was available but heaps more expensive so allow for that when budgeting. I am researching HK now as we go in October. Also found lots of awesome things to do and not enough time but it does depend what your interests are.

I haven't been on the boards for quite awhile, when you don't have a Disney trip in the future it's depressing to see everyone busy planning their trips!

I went to Disneyland in Oct/Nov 2012 and I'm a school teacher and with 3 years before I can use long service leave, I have to rely on school holiday periods for holidays. Which can be a nightmare! I did go to Hawaii over New Years with family and that was amazing but man those flights hurt! My biggest problem has always been a travel buddy. I'm single and there doesn't seem to be a magic way to change that- all the decent men are gone already! My one single girlfriend (also a teacher) has been on the fence and there haven't been any great deals to push us.

So I found quite decent Syd to LA flights for April school holidays, absolute shocker! $1350 return. She said she'd think about it and has decided that because she's doing the US in September holidays with her family (including Disneyland) she wants somewhere different. I get that but it breaks my heart that my dream of doing Disneyland for the 60th is probably not going to happen :sad:

One of her girlfriends suggested Hong Kong or Tokyo to keep the Disney factor. The flights both seemed reasonable but both seemed like short trips for the money being spent. So I played on Expedia and found Sydney-Hong Kong-Tokyo-Brisbane (stopover)-Sydney for $1256 each. Doing Tokyo to Sydney direct bumped it to $8603!! Obviously there could be other deals but I'd take 90 minutes in Brisbane over that price!!

I'm undecided because I would only want to do the Disney parks and maybe a little bit of shopping. It's not an area of the world I've thought about, Europe was my next choice. She wants to explore more than that but given the language barrier and two single girls I'm worried venturing beyond the Disney bubbles. I'm also not the biggest fan of Asian flavours, lemon chicken is about it.

Geez this became a novel quickly! Basically what would you recommend doing and seeing if you were doing both parks? And staying! I've had a little look on the HK and Tokyo boards but thought I'd post here first.

Convince me pixiedust:

I took my (25year old) DD to Tokyo Disney last Sept holidays
It was a super quick trip
We flew into Tokyo - caught the bus to Disneyland
Remotely checked into hotel (Sheraton) from shopping centre
Spent 5 days there (bought 1 day + 4 day pass)
Day 6 - got on airport bus & flew home
No time to do ANYTHING but Disney
Had an absolute ball :)

Yesterday we bit the bullet and booked our flights! We had researched a bit and the original flights went up slightly to $1307, not too bad. Then I got on the Cathay Pacific website and found SYD-HK-TOKYO-SYD for $807!!! Granted we will be flying out 3 days later but when you add up the savings it was a no brainer.

So yesterday was suppose to be purely seeing what a travel agent could book and get advice on the hotels we were looking at. An hour later we had booked our flights and Hong Kong accommodation :goodvibes :teeth: She couldn't book the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay so we'll be booking that ourselves, probably through Expedia.

Any other advice would be great :cloud9:

I did both three years ago.
Hong Kong Disney was super small. Mystic Manor wasn't open. Toy Story Land was cool though.
It was dead when we went (pretty much walk on rides except for Toy Story) but i followed internet advice and tried to go on a weekday that wasn't a monday. The weekends are really busy because everyone comes from the mainland.

Hong Kong is a really easy city to get around - the train system is amazing. we didn't catch a single taxi (i went with a friend so we were to single female travelers too!).
On the Disney train line there is a great outlet centre. i think we went twice. it's right near the Giant Buddha. That's a great morning trip too - a hike and a ride in the sky gondola thingy.

Tokyo is amazing. Yes the language barrier is hard - i'm the worst i can barely say hello! But the people of Japan are so polite and try to help no matter what!
the train system is also easy to navigate. they announce the stops and spell them in using English characters so it's easy to figure out where you are.

I only went to Tokyo sea as we only had one spare day but it was crazy awesome. The lines were crazy and it was really busy. but people watching was more fun anyway. Lots of Japanese teenagers seem to be on group dates and they were matching little disney outfits. it's so cute!
We didn't go on too many rides but the shows were amazing - the little mermaid area and the show was the best thing my friend has ever seen at disney!
My main regret is not buying a duffy bear!

As for the food - try chicken teriyaki. it's just chicken with a light sauce. and it can be with rice or noodle. it's my favourite and i'm really picky. YOu can get that anywhere! Japanese currys are also very mild. Also Japan has great steaks - kobe beef etc so you can always get that with fries! and the beer is good too. ;)

But starbucks, mcdonalds, kfc etc are everywhere. And they have breadtop type places - asian bakeries. and you can get plain white rolls etc if you are just after a quick basic snack!

the one thing that is difficult to get in japan is fruit - they charge like $5 per apple. fresh fruit must be imported so i guess that explains it but it is a bit ridiculous!

Thanks for the advice lorryx3!

We're now planning to do the outlets, goandolas and giant Budda on our transit day given how close they are to our hotel and the airport. I didn't realise so it was a nice bonus!

I've posted a thread on the Tokyo board asking for advice but if you have any must see/do items for one day in Tokyo itself share away :goodvibes

Glad to help!
Tokyo has lots to do. but we mainly went shopping! there are some great tours you can do that are in english.
the Harajuku area is probably the best to go in one day - it's where all the gothic lolitas hang out. there is a park, a temple and lots of great shopping.
the best store was called Kiddy Land (i think) it was like 5 floors of toys! lots of Hello Kitty and Snoopy.
And there is a Daiso in Takeshita street. (yep that's the name...) they have them in aus now, but great place to get souvineers - only a few $$ Australian from memory. think it's about 100 yen or so? so cheap. and they have Disney stuff

Oooh I LOVE Hong Kong! We are going in December for one night as a stop over on the way home from WDW en-route to Perth.
When we went in 2013, we spent 2 nights at the Disneyland Hotel - at the time, it was myself, DH and our 5 year old. I found the hotel to be nice, but very rude because I was white. They would prioritise Asian customers over us, and it was deliberate. Which I found rather strange. The actual park, we did everything in a day and took our time. Love the Toy Story world - the parachute drop is cool and I LOVED the Big Grizzly Mountain Coaster! We used the MTR for everything! We then went to the Royal Park Plaza hotel which is one of the largest hotels in Hong Kong for the $$ you spend. It was an easy jump back to Disney - we had broken our HK trip in half with a ferry ride to Macau which was amazing. If you can do an overnight of this, I highly recommend it. It is JUST like Vegas (If you are into this sort of travelling)

On our last day, we had to leave for the airport around 2pm, it was the day MH17 went missing. I was exhausted from our trip and wanted to sleep, so I suggested DH and Mr5 go to Disney again - they took the MTR and got to open the park - it was amazing seeing the photos. They had the BEST time! I spent the day laying in bed watching the news, stressing as we were flying on to KL.

HK Disney reminded me of a snapshot of Disneyland (CA) - its not the whole experience but its enough to make you feel the magic.
Have FUN! Japan is next on our to do list!

Forgot to add, we are going Cathay in December from Perth to LA - how awesome are their prices atm!

Hi Tahlzy, do yu know how they got selected to open the park? we are going soon and would love to do that!

Neha, I'm not sure about Hong Kong, but we were chosen to open the park at Disneyland (California). We were basically first in line at the turnstile that they chose. There was one family ahead of us, but they had had the experience the day before.
So, I suggest you get there really early and hope for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter