Booze at a child's birthday party?

MosMom

<font color=deeppink>Damn you, you wretched clown!
Is alcohol appropriate for the parents at a child's birthday party? We are having a birthday luau and parents are welcome too. Someone mentioned to me that I should have casual drinks for the parents like beer or coolers.

Do you think that is appropriate? I'm not really sure. We aren't big drinkers so I really don't know.

I would say don't do something that would make you uncomfortable. Not all of our wedding guests were pleased we did not serve alcohol at the reception, but DH and I were glad.

I would think no. Does not seem appropriate for a kid's party. You said the parents are welcome too, which tells me it is primarily a kid's party. If it was a big, family party, mostly adults and children of the family members, then fine, but this sounds like a kid's party to me.

I could say yes to either option. I don't think you are obligated to provide liquor at a birthday party, but if you want to, go ahead.

It depends on how well I know the parents and what age children will be there.

I'm with Dan on this one - if it's primarily a children's party..

Actually though, we rarely serve alcoholic beverages at any of our functions.. We don't really drink ourselves so we just have soft drinks, tea, coffee, etc.. That's just our preference though - certainly not a guideline for anyone else to follow..

well it also depends on if the parents are drinking in excess..if in moderation i say its fine..but if they're getting tipsy..hide the cooler lol.

I have been at a couple of birthday parties for classmates of my children where alcohol was served. In all the cases the party was for both classmates and family. The hosts all stated that because their families were there, and the family party would be continuing after the classmates and their parents had left, that they were serving alcohol.

It was unobtrusive in all cases -- in one case the alcohol was kept in a separate bar area in the house, while soft drinks, water and juice were outside. At one party I didn't even realize there was beer until I smelled in from the plastic cup of someone standing next to me.

I've never served it at any children's party of mine where there were other children present.

I agree with DAN:) . We NEVER have served booze at our child's birthday parties......

I am with Dan on this one as well....I would not serve alcohol at a child's party.

LOL, bfeller:) . Thanks for your post..........it allows DAN to see that we actually agree about something:) . Since I'm on his IGNORE list, he doesn't often get an opportunity to see my opinions;) ;) .....

Seems the majority are saying "No" and that is what my gut is telling me too so I think we will keep it to punch and soft drinks. Thank you kindly for the advice :teeth:

I'd rather not have any sloshed parents at the party. :rolleyes:

I'm with the majority here. No alcohol at
kids parties. Kids need to know they can
celebrate without it. I'd make sure I had
plenty of bottled water for the parents AND
the kids though. That way there's a "grownup"
choice. have a fun party!

I always offer alcohol when I entertain(adults that is). At my kids parties no one ever drinks much but most people will have a beer or 2. Even my 70 something yo aunts always have a wine cooler. ;) But, my kids parties are usually our families and our neighbors, who we know very well(and often do have a few drinks together). Theres also more adults than kids overall. I would never invite the whole class over and have a few.

I dont think you NEED to offer alcohol, but I also feel if you want to or not, thats your choice.

I also agree that if it's a child's party there is no need for alcoholic beverages.

Originally posted by EROS
I agree with DAN:) . We NEVER have served booze at our child's birthday parties......

... unless the party is um.. um.. at HOOTERS!

(if Dan & Eros agree much more I'm going to be real confused! LOL Here to both of you, Zurg raises his cup - coffee cup - you both make me smile.)

I agree that there's no reason why you need it at a child's party. Not only is it good for kids to grow up seeing people have fun without alcohol, but also serving alcohol would sort of take the emphasis away from the kids. Any time alcohol is served, there's a tendancy for adults to congregate somewhere and the kids to be somewhere else. Without it, it's likely there will be more interaction between the parents and their kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter