Borrowing Kids for Disney - Princess Extravaganza - November 2018

sturner324

Mouseketeer
In November 2018, DH and I will embark on an exciting journey to Walt Disney World. We’ve been numerous times, but this trip will be very different. So I thought it was a good opportunity for my first trip report!

The Countdown
The Itinerary

Who: Awesome Aunt and Uncle duo with 2 Princess Nieces

Me: 31 — obsessive planner and organizer of trips
DH: 31 — general Disney fan and Star Wars enthusiast

We started our marriage 9 years ago with a Disney honeymoon, and we’ve been hooked on Disney ever since.

Our party will also include my two nieces. I’ll call them “DN” to keep with the abbreviations.

DN: 7 — my sister’s daughter. She went to Disney as a 2 year old with the whole extended family (us, parents, grandparents). She doesn’t really remember it, but she talks about it all the time.

DN: 12 — my sister’s stepdaughter for a few years. She is such a sweet girl, and has never been to Disney. She’s almost to that “too-cool teen” age, but luckily she still seems to love Disney and playing with her little sister.

The Reveal:
Last December we revealed the upcoming trip to the girls with a scavenger hunt.

disney-clues.jpg

My sister told me that DN 12 said that was “the best day of her life.” There’s more to come dear child, just wait!

The Countdown:
Maybe its because I don’t have kids of my own (by choice), but I may have overdone this Disney trip. Since we told the girls about the trip nearly a year in advance, I thought it might be a torturous wait. I mean, it is torture for me as an adult. So, I decided to have countdown boxes for them to open each month with little Disney gifts.

countown-boxes.jpg

Why:
DH and I have experienced WDW, DL, and DCL several times as an adult-only couple. We love our adventures together, but there's something special about sharing Disney with other people. In 2012, I invited my mom and stepdad for their first ever WDW experience. We've planned trips with my sister and DH's sister for their first trips. I just love introducing people to Disney.

My sister now has a family of 4 children, including a new baby. Every time we go on a Disney trip, DN 7 pouts a little. I know that's not a good reason to take her, but honestly we've been talking about it for years. I've always said 7 is the ideal Disney age. For various reasons, I don't foresee her family being able to go to Disney anytime soon (if ever), so we decided now is the right time.

I joke sometimes, saying we're just borrowing other people's kids to go to Disney so people will stop looking at us funny for going back. But I'm truly excited (and a bit terrified) about this trip, and the unique experience it will provide. This will likely be a once in a lifetime experience for them, so I want to make it special. (yes I know, any Disney trip is special...)

We're staying at Disney’s Art of Animation Nemo suite for 6 nights. Since these are not my kids, I’m a little weird about all sleeping in a small hotel room together. The suites are PERFECT. We stayed here a few years ago when we took DH’s 13 year old sister. The 2 bathrooms alone are worth the price to me.

I'm sure I'll have more to say as planning continues. It will be here before we know it! I'm open to any advice on traveling with kids, traveling with kids that aren't yours, etc.

Last edited:
Countdown Boxes! We usually FaceTime the box opening each month since we don’t live in the same city.

Since these are not my kids, I felt it best to blur their faces.

January
jan.jpg

February
feb.jpg

March
march.jpg

April
april.jpg

May
may.jpg

June
june.jpg

July
july.jpg

Last edited:
Itinerary (in progress):

Sunday: Travel / Magic Kingdom
Arrive at MCO around 12:30
FP+ (TBD): 7D Mine Train, Enchanted Tales w/ Belle, Space Mountain
Special Plans: Firework Dessert Party Garden Viewing

Monday: Hollywood Studios
ADR: 50s Prime Time (lunch)
FP+ (TBD): Slinky Dog, Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster
Night Show: Fantasmic!

Tuesday: Epcot (FW) Morning / MK Evening
FP+ (TBD): Living with the Land, Soarin, Seas with Nemo
Special Plans: MVMCP

Wednesday: Epcot (WS) Afternoon
Sleep in and get to the park around lunch
ADR: Via Napoli (dinner)
FP+ (TBD): Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, Frozen

Thursday: Magic Kingdom
ADR: Cinderella’s Royal Table (lunch)
FP+ (TBD): undecided
Park Closing Early - Swim at Resort or Disney Springs

Friday: Animal Kingdom
ADR: Tusker House (lunch)
FP+ (TBD): Flight of Passage, Safari, Everest
Night Show: Rivers of Light

Saturday: Travel
Enjoy the resort or Disney Springs in the morning.Late checkout if possible.
Depart MCO at 6pm

I love the Scavenger Hunt and monthly boxes to open! Very sweet! We are taking our 2 DDs (5 & 2) in November as well. We aren't telling them until the week of (or night before) because they are so young they will ask us about it every day until we leave. I've been looking around for a fun reveal idea. I'm sure there are folks on here with fantastic, clever reveals.

We've stayed in the Cars Suite a few times, and those two bathrooms are definitely worth it! Also have a microwave in your room!

You're an awesome aunt! Have fun!

We've stayed in the Cars Suite a few times, and those two bathrooms are definitely worth it! Also have a microwave in your room!

Oh, I forget that regular rooms don’t have microwaves! Another perk.

I’m thinking about having a few groceries delivered (breakfast items and snacks), which will be a first for us, too.

DN 7 asked a couple weeks ago, “does Disney World have pancakes for breakfast? If so, I’m eating pancakes every day!” LOL. Hopefully she will forget about pancakes and embrace the mickey waffles... or better yet, muffins and snacks that we can have delivered. :-)

Thursday - MK Morning Strategy

So, I keep toying around with my touring plan (I still have a few months before making FP+), and every time I think I've decided I reconsider again. Yesterday at a family lunch, DN 7 was talking about Rapunzel. She wants a Rapunzel dress. Is Rapunzel in the parade? She's taking her Rapunzel doll. So on, and so forth. I know we must meet Rapunzel, but I've been unsure when to plan for it.

Thursday will be our morning at MK with lunch at CRT. I know Rapunzel makes (rare) appearances there, so a part of me didn't want to do the Fairytale Hall if we'll just see her again at lunch. But I guess I shouldn't take any chances! We will have other opportunities earlier in the week to stop by, but I really think Thursday will be better since DN 7 will likely wear her dress to lunch.

Here's my plan at the moment:

8:55am - Let the Magic Begin (Is this show worth it? I haven't seen it yet)
9:00 - Meet Rapunzel and Tiana (both girls want to meet both of these Princesses, and I guess I shouldn't worry that they may also be at CRT later)
9-10 FP - Peter Pan
9:45 - its a small world
10-11 FP - 7DMT
10:30 - Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire
11-12 FP - Winnie the Pooh
11:40 - CRT Lunch

May fit in extras like Mad Tea Party, Carousel, etc.

I know some people say not to use FP first thing in the morning, but I'd really like to use all 3 before lunch so I can grab extras for the afternoon. Especially since this is a party day and we'll be out of the park early.

I did consider just having PFH FP after lunch, so I could cancel if we happen to get Rapunzel at lunch, but I know they'd like to meet Tiana, too. Also, that would put us later at getting additional FPs.

So this is my plan... for now. When I finally make my FPs, it may look completely different.

Respectfully, you might just as well refer to them by their names. Or block out their names on the backpacks :D.

LOL, well yes that’s true. I mostly was trying to keep with the disboards shorthand. Not overly concerned revealing their names, just didn’t want to post their faces. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter